New *2011* Transitioners Support Thread!

I need help! I washed my hair last night and my new growth was so unmanagable. What do you all use to soften and detangle. Give me a regimen please!!!!

Pisceanprincess Washing in braids should prevent tangling. I used to wash in sections but yesterday i washed in ten braids and my hair was so soft (i only focused on my scalp) and detangling was so easy. Less time consuming than doing sections as well. You may also want to buy a detangler ( i get mine from dollar tree) or use a leave in that detangles well. Also, find out which detangling method works best for you. Some ladies detangle before, in the shower, or after. I finger detangle before and comb after.

@Pisceanprincess Washing in braids should prevent tangling. I used to wash in sections but yesterday i washed in ten braids and my hair was so soft (i only focused on my scalp) and detangling was so easy. Less time consuming than doing sections as well. You may also want to buy a detangler ( i get mine from dollar tree) or use a leave in that detangles well. Also, find out which detangling method works best for you. Some ladies detangle before, in the shower, or after. I finger detangle before and comb after.

LaFemmeNaturelle - what detangler did you get from dollar tree?

LaFemmeNaturelle - what detangler did you get from dollar tree?

Initially i was using brecks kids detangler and it worked for a while but stopped. This was last summer. Now i have a diff one. I dont know what its called but its in a green and white bottle. I think those are the only two they sell. Ive only used it once because i detangle with conditioner. I may start using it to finger comb before i wash.

I am now six and a half months into this transition. I have two strand flat twisting down. Now, however, I am noticing that my new growth isn't twisting--it isn't as defined as my relaxed ends and it's starting to be more noticeable.

Is it the products? Is it my technique? Is my natural hair just not moisturized enough? :spinning: Which could be a possibility since I have no idea anymore on what products I want to use. Does anyone have suggestions?

I've had a serious urge to relax these past 2 weeks....The fact that I can do it myself makes it way too convenient.

Hola todos!
I am almost 21 months post and still going strong. I officially have more natural hair than relaxed hair! horay! I haven't been trimming or cutting the ends off along the way. Most of the relaxed hairs have surrendered and broken off of their own...which is fine with me :drunk:

Photo1319.jpg

Some days I am just sooo tempted to just snip off those limp pieces. As much as I would loove to have natural hair for the hot summer, I have absolutely no idea when I will BC. Here is my hair straightened:

graddinner-1.jpg

I hope you all are enjoying your transition! See you on the other side

Hi guys,

Joining in on the transitioning ride. I am 1 year post since last week.
I am tempted to big shop but I want to wait for the 36 months mark. I am in braids right now so I can control the urge.
I am planning to continue with the braids but I might change my mind along the way.
Hoping to be inspired by the long term transitioners around here ...

Hi ladies, I'm about to begin my countdown to snipping off the last of my relaxer. Come June, it will be 18 months since I've been transitioning and it's time to free my hair.

LaFemmeNaturelle I got that bottle if its the right one from the Dollar Store I have Lusti Organics Oilve Oil Detangling Spray.. I was thinking if it doesn't work I only lost a dollar.. I works pretty good I just use it for those stubborn areas when my conditioner is not enough.. I thought my hair felt stong in the areas I sprayed it on(hard to explain how my hair felt) and it does contain protein.

Pisceanprincess I would pre-poo with conditioner & oils b4 I wash my hair. Put a cap on and go on with my work. Rinse it out and my NG melts and then I co-wash and sometimes the conditioner you use to co-wash can help with the tangles too.. When I don't pre-poo with conditioner and just co-wash I would use Aussie Moist and that stuff works wonders for my NG.. Everyone hair is different so you will have to find what conditioner will work for you. I don't use shampoo a lot I use a clarifying shampoo and I use shea moisture shampoo that is the only shampoo that does not make my hair tangle after I wash it. But mostly its conditioner that gets me thru this NG..

Hola todos!
I am almost 21 months post and still going strong. I officially have more natural hair than relaxed hair! horay! I haven't been trimming or cutting the ends off along the way. Most of the relaxed hairs have surrendered and broken off of their own...which is fine with me :drunk:

Photo1319.jpg

Some days I am just sooo tempted to just snip off those limp pieces. As much as I would loove to have natural hair for the hot summer, I have absolutely no idea when I will BC. Here is my hair straightened:

graddinner-1.jpg

I hope you all are enjoying your transition! See you on the other side

Pretty Curls.. What style were you trying to get with the flexi rods? We are about in the same boat more natural hair than relax hair.. I just cut sometimes when I am twisting my hair. I need some new sheers..So no more cutting until I get some new ones

Pretty Curls.. What style were you trying to get with the flexi rods?

Thank you. I do ponytail flexi rod sets

Photo1047.jpg

Photo1048.jpg

By day 4 they look like this:

Photo1051-1.jpg

It has truly made my transition a breeze. I get at least 4 days out of this style. I switch between this and two strand twist out ponytails.

My mom came to town to visit me and she flat-ironed my hair. Mind you, I haven't used heat on my hair for more than a year. It's not a hard pressing; but, hey, it's a pressing. I used coconut oil as a heat protector. Be gentle, lol. I normally don't post many pictures.

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 53
  • hair2.jpg
    hair2.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 50
  • hair3.jpg
    hair3.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 53
  • hair4.jpg
    hair4.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 50
  • hair5.jpg
    hair5.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 47
I can not come into this thread anymore, I want to BC bad after leaving her. So I will make my exit for a while. Officially one year post. I have about 2 inches of relaxed hair left on my hair. I want to cut them off but love the length I am at now.
chrisanddonniesmommy I want to see your hair when wet. We are the same amount of time post, just curious how yours looks =)

Whew, girl. Talk about major shrinkage when my hair's wet. Ugh!! I can't stand it. How's your hair doing?

I love it....Especially my hair is shrinking up and I love it. I have all of these curls and I just twirl them around, my curls are tight though, like loose curls. I'm going to try to take good pictures of them today when I wash. I have about 2 inches of relaxed ends left in the back, the middle is mostly natural and the front has about 3 inches of relaxed ends. I want to cut so bad.

I love it....Especially my hair is shrinking up and I love it. I have all of these curls and I just twirl them around, my curls are tight though, like loose curls. I'm going to try to take good pictures of them today when I wash. I have about 2 inches of relaxed ends left in the back, the middle is mostly natural and the front has about 3 inches of relaxed ends. I want to cut so bad.

Cool! I think you can hold out for those two inches, though. I wish I only had two inches to go. But, whatever you choose, I support you.

it seems like i'm seeing more and more stories about natural hair heads that are making waistlength in 3 years...:) :/ :(

i need to remember that these are not necessarily typical results.... for me

^ Just hang in there, it will happen for you. Be patient lil mama.

Okay sooooo as I said before, I made one year post. Here are my curlies and a failed wash n go, I guess I'm not that far into my transition for it to work, lol

donuv4.jpg

2aj9vyg.jpg

Wash and go fail
w7yeqt.jpg

2ly0sa9.jpg

Hey ladies! Sorry to leave ya but my only options were to BC, have stinky hair, stop working out, or relax. So y'all know what I chose! Pics coming whenever I get to a computer lol

Nothing fancy for now. I'm not SUPER excited about the length. My hair definitely grows less than average rate. So I wore a phony pony and will wear it for AT LEAST a month. I was 3 days away from being 18 months post relaxer.

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1056.jpg
    IMG_1056.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 97
I'm having a hard time.

I am SO ready to take these twists out (and play in my hair) but I don't have time or know for sure what my next style will be. Maybe experimenting with half wigs or phony ponies...

Twists are also convenient. I have to be up early and since there is no need to prep my hair, I can sleep in later.

This is technically month 3. Some were touched up a month ago. Is it time for these to go? Suggestions about what to do next?

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF app

Wow LaFemmeNaturelle you do your thang! :yep:

You can wear phony ponies and you can put your hair in a bun. Keep working out! Health before hair I say!

Ah, I'm still rocking the press I got last Wednesday. Didn't post pictures b/c we decided to keep it curly instead of a flat iron. And he didn't trim my ends. I sorta gave him the sideeye on that one. :lol:

Hair is starting to revert at the roots. Plan on spending most of the holiday chilling at my friend's pool house.

Will wash out on Monday and rock the ol' standard braidouts again.

LaFemmeNaturelle Congrats.. If you looking for any type of ponytails let me know.. I like to go for the curly ponytails that some goes with the waves with my hair slicked back.

The Big afro puff is $6.99 and I paid more than that when I got mine and I still cannot get this one to look just the way I want it.. But I'm not giving up.. I have one similiar to the last one..

http://www.hairwigharlem.com/ponytail-buns/synthetic-hair-ponytail.html

Post a pic of your ponytail when you decide which one you will get please...

Attachments

• 0271_effy.jpg
    0271_effy.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 27
  • Afro Perm String.jpg
    Afro Perm String.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Instant Ponytail.jpg
    Instant Ponytail.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 33
Back