New *2011* Transitioners Support Thread!

Here's the pics from my BC ladies. I transitioned for 14.5 months. More pics in my fotki: http://www.fotki.com/lilbit010

DSCN4475.jpg

DSCN4483.jpg

DSCN4473.jpg

I'm mostly a lurker but I've finally made the decision to start my transition this year.

I got a little too happy with the heat on my APL hair and it's a hot thin stringy mess.

Today, I cut all the thin damaged ends off to SL. It looks better already. :lol:

I'm going to do a slow transition. I'm thinking 18 months. We'll see!

I'm going into my 3rd month. I'm mostly doing braidouts right now -- I'm sure it's going to be interesting this summer with the heat and humidity.

I'm going to have to go back through to read this thread at the beginning for tips!

I'm mostly a lurker but I've finally made the decision to start my transition this year.

I got a little too happy with the heat on my APL hair and it's a hot thin stringy mess.

Today, I cut all the thin damaged ends off to SL. It looks better already. :lol:

I'm going to do a slow transition. I'm thinking 18 months. We'll see!

I'm going into my 3rd month. I'm mostly doing braidouts right now -- I'm sure it's going to be interesting this summer with the heat and humidity.

I'm going to have to go back through to read this thread at the beginning for tips!

good luck with your transition! :]

I've been lurking this thread for a while. I guess I'm a long term transitioner. I don't plan on BCing... I'm just going to trim my relaxed ends about an inch in between my sew-ins. Most of my hair will be 12 months post next month. The Front is about 5 months post (sew-in leave out). All in all, I'm just learning how to deal with the two textures. I've learned that dcing (Queen Helene Cholesterol +oils) on dry hair works wonders for me. I haven't really found a shampoo that I'm in love with... so that's still up in the air. I mostly wear my hair straight in between sew-ins... I used to do back to back installs but I learned that my hair needs to breath. So, I make sure I do at least 3 conditioning treatments between each install. With that being said, I'm learning to love my hair again... can't say that I'm there yet!

Still hanging in there in my crochet braids. I might take them out this weekend cos I don't like the hair I used.

I'm still planning on BCing in June

Just curious, what kind of hair did you use?

Freetress Gogo Curl. I cut it into 3 so it's really short. I like the style but the hair keeps slipping out of the knot I tied so I might use it for something else. I will go back to using candy curl which gives me the flexirod look.

Last edited:
As of today I am 24 months and a day into my my transition. Mini Goal is for 30 months and big chop is planned for this Dec. 24 (33 months). I'm Currently a half an inch past full bra strap length with 2-4 inches of relaxed ends.

Freetress Gogo Curl. I cut it into 3 so it's really short. I like the style but the hair keeps slipping out of the knot I tied so I might use it for something else. I will go back to using candy curl which gives me the flexirod look.

Were your cornrows any bigger this time.. One of the ladies on u-tube stated that when her cornrows are big the hair slipps out.. I had that issue too and I thought it might be the hair.. So I am not really sure but my braids were not that small either

I'm over 18 months. I was planning to BC in April at 20 months but it looks like my gruelling work schedule won't permit and I'm going to have to rebraid. The next time I'm going to have time to BC is June ending. Dang, I never thought I could make it to 22 months! I might just go for 2 years and BC Sept 22, the last day I relaxed my hair 2 years ago!!! Time does fly. When I'm out of braids, I prepoo with the chiroco mix, wash with SAS moisture shampoo, DC with anything handy, band, air dry, blow dry with the tension method and wear in a bun. I baggy the ends every night and re-wet again the next morning before putting my hair back in a bun.

Counting the days to fully natural :). HHG everyone!

[USER][/USER]@KaramelKutie803 congratulations!

Last edited:
My wheat germ and grapeseed oils just showed up!! I couldn't greet the UPS man b/c my braids are 3/4 removed. DH had to. I started air-humping because I'm so excited.

Now I have to remember what I said I'd do.

My Oyin Handmade Hair Dew and Whipped Pudding came yesterday. The Hair Dew's pretty ok. I'll have to see how it is after using it a lot longer.

My scalp's hurt like crazy. I must have scratched it or something. Anyone encountering a sore scalp?

I'm still hanging in there. Took my sew in down last week, will be half wigging it until mid april when I get my next sew in. Washed, Aphogee 2min, dc's with joico,today. Im 8 months post, I plan to bc in July.

So I BC'd tonight. It was REALLY spur of the moment. But I weighed my pros and cons and it just seemed like a good idea and I finally felt ready. Also when I get bored or stressed I always seem to do something drastic. I felt like I needed a change. My hair does look REALLY short, but I'm still SL and CBL in some places. My hair is also really curly more than what I expected. :lol: I'm still messing with it and there is still hair all over my sink. It looks like I killed cousin it. :rofl: I'll start a thread in the morning, I'm tired and I feel like I've been full of emotions. I'm glad I didnt BC earlier or wait later and I'm ready to start my natural journey.

ETA: Link to BC Thread

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=535471

Last edited:
in my 26th week.

i'm on work travel this week and I decided to get a black rinse and rollerset at my salon...

my usual stylist was out and another one did my hair... this girls' frustration with my hair was palpable... seriously. she didnt start tugging or anything but I could tell she was not happy with the detangling process.. the rollerset was cute. a little cuter than mine usually are but I'm thinking I may not see the salon again until my BC. encountering that kinda frustration just makes me feel they are not gonna be on board with my natural journey....

I bought a bunch of phyto products recently because I have only one more use in my shampoo and my spare deep conditioner.

I brought my rollers on my trip with me to help maintain my hair.. lol..that is such a first for me :)

I love these 2 ladies at my work place.. but i'm going to need to avoid them throughout this transition where possible.
1. is a hair growth enthusiast but she thinks natural hair isnt appropriate for the work place .....sigh

2. keeps telling me to bc and then texturised.

I generally dont respond to the comments... but I dont want my patience to run out....

^Oh snap!! I'm 7 months post relaxer today!!! OMG!! I need to get the camera out for this milestone.

I can't believe it! I might just make it!!!!

Yeah, I need to get some braids.

Because if I don't find a style to prevent me from looking at my hair and struggling with styling and detangling on wash then I will want to get a relaxer out of frustration.

I'm at that "i dont know what to do with my hair" stage right now. Aside from a rough ponytail, I cant do anything with it. I cant even wear a rollerset. It gets brushed into a bun b/c of the thickness and 2 textures.

Yay me! I made it to the 5 month mark as of yesterday and things are going tolerably okay. I lost a lot of hair when I shampooed and detangled last week but I've been prepping my mind mentally for this so I'm taking it all in stride. So far I'm havig a good time transitioning.

Back