New *2011* Transitioners Support Thread!

Oh Wow! I totally forgot to mention....I cut my hair this weekend! No, not the BC but a seriously LC (little cut). Well, I was drying my hair in 5 ponytails and just staring at the stragglely, thin, uneven relaxed ends and I couldn't take how horrible they looked. My last trim was in December. I was trying to wait another few weeks when I had time to flat iron but they just looked so bad. I got my shears, opened each ponytail and clipped about two inches. I'll try to post some pictures. Gives me a thought though....I might just keep trimming until the relaxed ends are gone altogether...let's see if I make it another 3 months...stayed tuned...

I'm going to be 23 weeks on Sunday. I've been doing rollersets for a bit and they have been coming out kinda cute.. :)

I wanna get a black rinse. I am considering going to the salon for a black rinse and and a rollerset for this wedding I am attending on the 25th. I'll be a full 6 months then.

Why did my friend suggest to me that if I went to the salon I would end up with a relaxer? transitioning is really a mental as well as physical journey for me. Its not gonna be all sunshine and roses but yuh know what neither was my relaxed hair......

Hi All,

I gotta tell you, I am sick of this process! :pyro: Dealing with these two textures is so high maintenance and time consuming....it's like a second job! I thought for sure the moment it got warm enough for me to go without a hat...chop-CHOP!! Well, until I discovered something quite by accident...waves! :grin: To explain, I have 4b hair or at least I think that's what it is, I'm not entirely sure. I've never in life tried to acheive waves, I thought either you had them or you didn't...I had no idea you could create them!

My transitioning style has been a tucked in ponytail just about everday. It has become increasing difficult to make it look nice. :nono: The kinky curls around my face and other places just would not lay down, I don't care what I did, gel, Edge Control, nothing! It also looked bad...I work in corporate and it just didn't look polished at all! I couldn't wait to cut!

Right now, I have cute little waves, from yesterday! Yes, you heard right, they just don't move, so I didn't disturb them and wore them again today. If I can reproduce this, I might be able to make it to my 1-year straight anniversary in May (making it to my 1-year texlax anniversary in August is highly unlikey). :yahoo:

I feel much better about how I look and the fact that I don't have to comb my hair everyday is good too...less manipulation. :yep:

Is anyone else out there sporting the "wave" look? Even if you're not, I'd appreciate your input. :feedback:

TIA
HHG
P.S. The waves stop at my permed hair...my permed hair is still straight. :sad:

I can get waves.... Thanks for reminding me.

Had a big bad braidout hair day today. I hate relaxed no curl ends and as for rollers, they are just uncomfortable. Sigh

I'm going to be 23 weeks on Sunday. I've been doing rollersets for a bit and they have been coming out kinda cute.. :)

I wanna get a black rinse. I am considering going to the salon for a black rinse and and a rollerset for this wedding I am attending on the 25th. I'll be a full 6 months then.

Why did my friend suggest to me that if I went to the salon I would end up with a relaxer? transitioning is really a mental as well as physical journey for me. Its not gonna be all sunshine and roses but yuh know what neither was my relaxed hair......

Maybe do a henna indigo treatment.

Thank you all ladies, you guys have really helped today with your inspiring messages.

I did a braid out 5.5 months post and I know it was not good, I wanted a break from heat, I am just going back to the bun. I can't have my hair straight all the time. My scalp is getting dry too. X

I can get waves.... Thanks for reminding me.

Had a big bad braidout hair day today. I hate relaxed no curl ends and as for rollers, they are just uncomfortable. Sigh

You're welcome! Aren't they the best?! I haven't combed my hair since Sunday....well, a little in the back because it got little fuzzy. I'm trying figure out how to pre-poo before my next shampoo...my hair is frozen in place right now and I don't dare comb it. How do you pre-poo from this style? :help2:

TIA
HHG

I certainly undertstand frustration. I'm still trying to find the right routine and formula for keeping my new growth moisturized all week long. My relaxed ends don't seem to have a problem staying soft and moisturized.

This past Thursday I did a prepoo with oil and that definitely helped with my knots and tangles. I was so happy. Then, I took the time and cornbraided my hair in a lot more braids than I usually do and put blue flexi-rods on my relaxed ends. When I wore it out yesterday, I had better curls on my relaxed ends than I ever have. My new growth was still a little dry and so I'll have to tweak my products again--add some shea butter to my KammyTube conditioner mix. However, I think I can make it now.

The only 'bad' part of my hairstyle were my edges. They looked thick, but I don't like putting eco styler on the edges and aloe vera doesn't work. So, I'm going to try to find an eco styler recipe mix since I have a whole jar to use.

Been gone for a while but checking in. Currently 14 months post and just took down some kinky twists I had for a little over a month. Bout to get ready to pre-poo with EVCO, EVO, and a little WGO. Then shampoo (clarifying one) DC with ORS hair mayo and from there I don't know lol. I have so few relaxed ends left either from chopping them off here and there or breakage that I just feel like BCing and other times I don't. Decisions decisions.

another week another rollerset... its ok.. i think i am going to have used more hold product on my roots.. its looking a bit helmetish.. ah well.. happy to find a relatively simple transitioning style.. hopefully this will hold me for the most part until august :/

another week another rollerset... its ok.. i think i am going to have used more hold product on my roots.. its looking a bit helmetish.. ah well.. happy to find a relatively simple transitioning style.. hopefully this will hold me for the most part until august :/

You have a product that 'holds' your roots!! Do tell the name. I have given up trying to hide the roots at the center of my head for twists. I am rockin' two textures. LOL!! I woud like to find something that does something. ...:drunk:

hello all. I'm still laying off the heat (on month 2, the first month went by quickly). I tried a new moisture dc by bumble bumble this weekend and did a braid out. My hair is all soft and fluffy today. Hang in there peeps. It gets easier.

Last edited:
So what do you do at only 1 month in? Taking all suggestions- hair is broken off and trying to decide where to start. I have coconut oil and unrefined shea- been cowash 2x week but need a "real" beginners reg! Help lol:-)

shaun0822

Its two factors that are essential in 'holding' my roots.

I use Paul Mitchell Modern elixirs styling serum and apply directly to my damp roots and roll keeping it taut. That works for me and keeps the helmet look at bay for about 4 days.

I find when I just rub in my palm and then on to my hair my roots dont hold as well. I dont think the serum is the best hold product though. after I finish it I might try a setting lotion.

Bornagainnatural :welcome3:
I would say to make sure your hair is moisturized. I'm sure some of the other ladies will chime in with what worked for them. If it's not moisture, then you may need a protein treatment. For me, moisture has and continues to be a problem. I'm still trying to find a good moisturizer. Currently trying Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk. We'll see....

Bornagainnatural :welcome3:
I would say to make sure your hair is moisturized. I'm sure some of the other ladies will chime in with what worked for them. If it's not moisture, then you may need a protein treatment. For me, moisture has and continues to be a problem. I'm still trying to find a good moisturizer. Currently trying Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk. We'll see....

I will def do that. What about this apogee 2 step? Any suggestions? Thank you!

Anyone noticing that their natural hair dries much faster than their relaxed ends? Just wondering why.

its atually opposite for me. i think its because the relaxer and dye made my hair porous. i bought Roux porosity control a couple weeks ago and it feels ALOT better. maybe you can try it for your new growth

its atually opposite for me. i think its because the relaxer and dye made my hair porous. i bought Roux porosity control a couple weeks ago and it feels ALOT better. maybe you can try it for your new growth

That's a product to consider. Thanks! Maybe my new growth is more porous than the relaxed ends.

I am 53 weeks post today. I am experimenting with transitioning style that dont require heat for the first time with this much growth. It is a lot of work especially when I cant braid like I normally would because of my long nails. I am struggling with this but hopefully I'll make it through without turning to heat again.... or cuting!

Wish me luck ladies...

Hi ladies, checking in at 15 months post. My hair is currently hidden under crochet braids. I plan to take them out on Friday or Saturday, wash my cornrows and install another set of crochets.

I hope to get to June before I BC. I will probably trim twice before then. Hope everyone is doing okay.

I will def do that. What about this apogee 2 step? Any suggestions? Thank you!

Apogee 2 step seems to be a popular protein treatment here on the board. I've only used it a few times a long time ago and then realized that my issue was moisture so haven't used it since. Hopefully others will chime in.

Here are two pictures after I washed my hair tonight. I put it in 4 ponytails to airdry. These are pictures of the 2 back ponytails. The back grows a lot faster than the front.

Roux, soooooooo...i got my wig today.:look:
Did you get yours?:look:

This is NOTHING like the one i ordered!:lachen:
I'm glad it was cheap,so I'm not mad,but they're getting "her" back,whatever "her" name is. :lol:. She gots ta go!

Hey ladies; fav leave-in conditioner?
My hair is semi-dry & I currently use the Cantu, but I hate how it smells.
Any & all suggestions are welcome :]

Hey ladies; fav leave-in conditioner?
My hair is semi-dry & I currently use the Cantu, but I hate how it smells.
Any & all suggestions are welcome :]

I use Cantu whenever my hair's wet (only on the relaxed portions, though since it dries out my new growth). Otherwise, my daily leave-in is Herbal Essences' Long-Term Relationship Split End Protector.

Hairness that gel was a hot mess.. lol Back to the drawing board on that.. Really don't think I can mix anything with the flax seed gel besides aloe vera and oils because its so slimy it doesn't stick to the shea or aloe butter... But I did get this product from Elasta QP that I saw this lady use you U-tube called Feels like silk styling gel.. That's been hleping with the pontails.. Also got this new gel from Ecostyler with Argan Oil and I been using so much gel that I am co-washing more than I usually do. I ended up getting the clear and Argan oil ecostyler gel and that is working pretty good. Still have some flyaways but not as much as b4..

Back