New *2011* Transitioners Support Thread!

I'm still hanging in there after 20 months post and I've been toying with the idea of chopping but I still want to hold out a little longer. I've been under a lacefront for the last couple of months and I'm really tired of wearing it. Holding out is getting really hard.

I also think I'm going to start using more products geared toward natural hair because what I've been using up to this point doesn't seem to be working anymore.

i checked the banding technique on youtube but i am confused about the relaxed ends part: do you band the relaxed ends as well?Does it have the same outcome as for the natural part?

It's not possible to band the relaxed ends as they are too thin. I band up until where my natural hair ends and then twist the relaxed ends or just leave it alone since it will dry straight either way. I have about 80% natural hair and 20% relaxed plus I'm mostly natural at the back so it works. If you're only a couple of months in and have mostly relaxed hair, it might not work.

Roux- thanks for the sympathy :lol: I am just trying to make it to my derm appt next Friday without :pullhair: I have got to figure out why my scalp is so unhappy right now! I really have to keep my scalp clean as well...it hates chemicals, dirt, and buildup of any kind :look: I just washed it tonight & I am happy with it again :lachen::lachen: I really can't go more than 2-3 days between washing it or my scalp gets super itchy. I used an ACV rinse for the first time on Sunday and will definitely try to make it at least a weekly thing...I will say my scalp doesn't seem to be a fan of being oiled :ohwell: Only time will tell if that is an always thing or just a current issue bc of my scalp problems

poor thing! It's one thing to experience these issues with one texture but two? enough to make you shave your head!

I noticed for my scalp that I have to really keep it clean AND oiled or it gets a bit itchy or buildup. Maybe try an ACV rinse and try to avoid products on your scalp and then oil it lightly.

I got to about 8 months and couldn't do braid outs or BK sets anymore so I got on with wigs and weaves. Matter of fact, if it weren't for wigs and weaves I would either be natural or relaxed right now :lachen:.

I cowash then put it in braids and put on a halfwig the next day. I never wear my hair out anymore...

Hey ladies! I posted this in HYH thread and wanted to post it here too :) On Saturday night, I did a honey-olive oil pre poo on my hair for an hour & then washed & conditioned it! It made it clear to me that my hair loves honey & EVOO Think I'll probably do these natural, uber moisturizing pre-poos instead of DC most weeks since chemicals are not my friend right now Just seems like my hair does better with them. I sectioned my hair into 4 ponytails & let it airdry for 2-3h. Then I blow dried my hair.

Then on Sunday night, I flat ironed my hair on 375 degrees with 2 passes. My hair looked really nice...it felt strange to use heat (as I haven't used it all year bc I am on a personal low heat challenge). I plan to only use heat 4x this year! So far, so good. But my hair is already reverting :nono: Ugh! But I am just going to deal with it bc it will likely be a reality of being natural :ohwell: Wish I could post pics, but bc I'm in the HYH challenge, I can't post pics of my true length! You guys will see it in less than 4 months :giggle: I will say this, my natural hair is so thick & it looks a bit ridiculous bc the back is much shorter & much fuller than the front! Bc it is only several inches long, it kinda sticks out & looks like a helmet :lachen::lachen:

I am glad I did this bc it encouraged me to keep taking care of my hair. It gets discouraging when you can't truly see the growth bc of shrinkage, but I actually saw my progress & it has only been 2 months :yep: But it did just reiterate for me that my nape grows the slowest :sad: And since I cut it down to half an inch in some places, it will be a long time until I can go 100% natural with length...but I am in it for the long haul :yep: Thanks for being such an encouragement in my hair journey! I really couldn't do this without you ladies support! I :love: yall :yep:

Whoo-hoo!!! I'm in the double-digits now!!! Ten months is the longest I have ever gone without a relaxer. Yes, I went without a relaxer during my two pregnancies. But, that was nine months and more so for the health of my boys. I am a happy camper!!

Also, I have found the perfect (well, to me, anyway) wig that I want to buy. It is 3c/4a textured and it definitely looks like a beautiful natural head of hair. As soon as I get paid, I'm ordering it.

I'm finally at 18 months!!! Had my stylist not rescheduled my appointment last week, I would have been natural. I was so ready to do the BC and couldn't wait. Then, got cold feet when I got in today. Instead settled for a trim. Unfortunately, got a little bit of heat damage after going to a new stylist a couple of weeks ago. My hair was so straight but it just kept snapping :perplexed. Never again! Will probably try to lay off the heat for the next few months. I have a few braided styles that I want to try.

Congrats to everybody who BC'd and are making goals! All you long term transitioners are keeping me motivated to go 18 months.

^^^They are encouraging me too! I told my natural friends that I think I am going to try to lengthen my transition to next April (from 18 months originally to 22 months in April) & they looked at me like I was crazy LOL I told them I wanted some length before I BC'ed :yep: They just think I should get it over with...but I am not going to do it until I am ready :grin: Whenever that is :lachen::lachen:

I am 1 year post today!!!!!
I will be officially 1 year on the 9th!!!!
I am so happy I made it this far! Believe me it was the help of all you ladies..... without your encouragement I don't think I would have lasted this long. Thank you.... I will continue this journey for a few more months then I will be fully natural!!!

Sent from my PG06100 using Long Hair Care Forum App

haven't taken pics yet. I just started thinking about the fact that detangling is getting so hard that I might be damaging my natural hair and i'm wigging it 99% of the time anyways...

12 weeks checking in.
starting to get skurred.
may be paranoid in thinking my hair is breaking....
gotta find a regiment quick!

Congrats to Roux on your BC! Today is cowash day! I am hanging in there I am transitioning or 2yrs! I have a long way to go but u ladies keep me motivated!

Hi All,

I gotta tell you, I am sick of this process! :pyro: Dealing with these two textures is so high maintenance and time consuming....it's like a second job! I thought for sure the moment it got warm enough for me to go without a hat...chop-CHOP!! Well, until I discovered something quite by accident...waves! :grin: To explain, I have 4b hair or at least I think that's what it is, I'm not entirely sure. I've never in life tried to acheive waves, I thought either you had them or you didn't...I had no idea you could create them!

My transitioning style has been a tucked in ponytail just about everday. It has become increasing difficult to make it look nice. :nono: The kinky curls around my face and other places just would not lay down, I don't care what I did, gel, Edge Control, nothing! It also looked bad...I work in corporate and it just didn't look polished at all! I couldn't wait to cut!

Right now, I have cute little waves, from yesterday! Yes, you heard right, they just don't move, so I didn't disturb them and wore them again today. If I can reproduce this, I might be able to make it to my 1-year straight anniversary in May (making it to my 1-year texlax anniversary in August is highly unlikey). :yahoo:

I feel much better about how I look and the fact that I don't have to comb my hair everyday is good too...less manipulation. :yep:

Is anyone else out there sporting the "wave" look? Even if you're not, I'd appreciate your input. :feedback:

TIA
HHG
P.S. The waves stop at my permed hair...my permed hair is still straight. :sad:

Hi All new here and transitioning , I am 5months post and hoping to make it to 2 years, no particular lenght just health big hair!

Hi All new here and transitioning , I am 5months post and hoping to make it to 2 years, no particular lenght just health big hair!

Welcome Pixxy! This is a good thread to help you on your journey. I know it has helped me though I don't post often. I'm 3 years post and made a thread if you care to check it out.

Hi All,

I gotta tell you, I am sick of this process! :pyro: Dealing with these two textures is so high maintenance and time consuming....it's like a second job! I thought for sure the moment it got warm enough for me to go without a hat...chop-CHOP!! Well, until I discovered something quite by accident...waves! :grin: To explain, I have 4b hair or at least I think that's what it is, I'm not entirely sure. I've never in life tried to acheive waves, I thought either you had them or you didn't...I had no idea you could create them!

My transitioning style has been a tucked in ponytail just about everday. It has become increasing difficult to make it look nice. :nono: The kinky curls around my face and other places just would not lay down, I don't care what I did, gel, Edge Control, nothing! It also looked bad...I work in corporate and it just didn't look polished at all! I couldn't wait to cut!

Right now, I have cute little waves, from yesterday! Yes, you heard right, they just don't move, so I didn't disturb them and wore them again today. If I can reproduce this, I might be able to make it to my 1-year straight anniversary in May (making it to my 1-year texlax anniversary in August is highly unlikey). :yahoo:

I feel much better about how I look and the fact that I don't have to comb my hair everyday is good too...less manipulation. :yep:

Is anyone else out there sporting the "wave" look? Even if you're not, I'd appreciate your input. :feedback:

TIA
HHG

Yep - I bun all day every day so I've been sporting waves. I spritz my hair with water or water/aloe gel mix, add a little Eco Styler gel to the edges and put on my scarf. I put my hair in 3-6 braids every few days at night to try to blend the two textures --- so the "wave" to relaxed doesn't look too noticable.

Welcome Pixxy! This is a good thread to help you on your journey. I know it has helped me though I don't post often. I'm 3 years post and made a thread if you care to check it out.

Malibu, I wanna be like you when I grow up! :grin:

Hi All,

TIA
HHG

I feel your pain I am the same way The style you see in my Avatar is my signature style.. Well my hair is getting lighter and the ponytail is a little dark so it doesn't even look good anymore with the fake ponytail.. I need to Henna and Indigo.. The frizz I get it looks like I done nothing to my hair at all.. It sticks up all over my head and I can gel it to death and still nothing.. I am on a search to get a cute ponytail and I will share if I can work this out.. I will start at making my own curly pudding.. I plan to do is start with flaxseed gel and maybe aloe, or mango or shea butter and mix up some oils and see if that will work.. I was thinking about just putting the pudding all over my NG when I go to slick the pony tail back and hope it will look neat..

I went as far as to put honey in my Ecostyler gel with some oils and I added too much honey the next morning my scarf was stuck to my head :blush: but my hair was slicked down with no flyaways..or frizz.. My hair was kind of sticky on the side.. :grin:

Last edited:
I feel your pain I am the same way The style you see in my Avatar is my signature style.. Well my hair is getting lighter and the ponytail is a little dark so it doesn't even look good anymore with the fake ponytail.. I need to Henna and Indigo.. The frizz I get it looks like I done nothing to my hair at all.. It sticks up all over my head and I can gel it to death and still nothing.. I am on a search to get a cute ponytail and I will share if I can work this out.. I will start at making my own curly pudding.. I plan to do is start with flaxseed gel and maybe aloe, or mango or shea butter and mix up some oils and see if that will work.. I was thinking about just putting the pudding all over my NG when I go to slick the pony tail back and hope it will look neat..

I went as far as to put honey in my Ecostyler gel with some oils and I added too much honey the next morning my scarf was stuck to my head :blush: but my hair was slicked down with no flyaways..or frizz.. My hair was kind of sticky on the side.. :grin:

@dr. j - Yep - I bun all day every day so I've been sporting waves. I spritz my hair with water or water/aloe gel mix, add a little Eco Styler gel to the edges and put on my scarf. I put my hair in 3-6 braids every few days at night to try to blend the two textures --- so the "wave" to relaxed doesn't look too noticable.
I will have to try this...on the weekend, just in case it doesn't work for me. (I haven't figured out how to multi-quote yet btw) How long does it take the braided hair to lay flat in waves? You're waves are beautiful! Mine are a lot smaller and the temples almost look like they want to curl but I guess the Eco Styler stop them in their tracks! :lachen:

@LadyMacgyver - I think it was the Eco Styler that made the waves. I decided to add it and a lot of it before I went to bed. When I took off my scarf in the morning, voila!, I had waves!..I still haven't combed my hair! I would be very interested in your gel recipe. I made my own pomade using Napural 85's recipes on YouTube. I added essential oils to it for health and a better smell. :yep:

Thank you ladies!

HHG.

Last edited:
Back