New *2011* Transitioners Support Thread!

I have been using Neutrogena Triple Moisture (NTM) Daily Deep Conditioner for cowashing, but recently switched to Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner. It is too early to tell if TJ's is a keeper, but I wanted to give it a try bc ppl here raved about it!

I use NTM Moisture Masque for a deep conditioner, but I got a lot of scalp buildup from it (I have a sensitive scalp). I'm not sure if it was bc I needed to clarify or if my scalp doesn't like the ingredients, so I can't recommend either way. My hair did feel very soft from it though :) I couldn't deal with the sticky scalp film. I recently switched to Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment for DC and my hair and scalp seem to like it.

I also use Roux PC (Porosity Control) as a final product to close my cuticles. This really seems to be making a difference :)

As far as a leave in, I have been using NTM Silk Touch Leave In Creme. It works fine. I also use Bee Mine Balanced Cream Moisturizer. I haven't found an amazing leave in yet. Nothing has blown me away. I am thinking of trying Darcy Botanicals Transitioning Creme, hoping it will WOW me and my hair :lol: My hair actually likes jojoba oil, so maybe that is also a possibility for you. HTH

what moisturizing conditioners and leave ins are you ladies using?

Roux, thanks for the quick response :) I don't want to wear my hair straight and that is why I wondered if it would be worth it. I was hoping it would blend the 2 textures more, but I don't think anything can do that :lol: I am trying to prepare/budget for the summer and I just wish I could do no/low maintenance styles for the hot months :) Hoping I could blend the textures enough for a WnG, but it doesn't sound like that will happen :nono: I'll just have to suck it up and look crazy this summer LOL I just know these 3c/4a curls are going to fight with my relaxed ends and refuse to cooperate :spinning: Both my hair textures do what ever they want and rarely listen to directions SMH

LilMissSunshine5 have you tried banding yet? I will band my natural hair and leave the relaxed ends to air dry then brush it out while dry (with my Tangle Teezer) and I have bushy yet straightish hair that I can manipulate well for blending with my half wigs or just wearing buns and such.

OMG I found my dream wig!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Woman-Short-Str..._MWA_Wigs_Extensions&var=&hash=item84b72fd584

1-1954.jpg

I need to breathe...and order her at the same time. lol

the only thing that blows about my ordering that wig is since it's coming from either China or Korea it won't be here until 14th-25th

@Fab_Nikki I love your hair! just trying to get the most growth possible for my BC!

Roux thank you!!! @ bolded I hear that. I would like to be apl right about now. LOL But I tell you I wouldn't change a THING about my BC. I was in the store today and I saw soooo many natural sisters. I was drooling and then realized "heeeey imma natural chick too". lol

Again KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON!!!!!

I am here because of my daughter...she is now 4 months posts! I am so happy and she is too. I have been getting her rod sets for the past 4 weeks. They seem to do very well in her hair. she dances 5 times a week. I am wondering if I should keep doing the rod sets..at least for now, or do it myself...cornrows, etc. i do plan on getting her braided in a few weeks because she will be in competitions. any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Congrats to all of us who are going natural! I am and have been for the past 6 years!

I'm still under this wig. it will be 5 months at the end of february. I ran out of my deep conditioner and my leave in. i was thinking about getting into these phyto products. Anyone have any experience with them?

my hair is still pretty straight, had it in two french braids today but took them down and put in four bantu knots. Found some old VO5 leave in and smoothed that on mixed with some super skinny serum. hoping for a nice bk set for tomorrow.

last day at my internship. going to really miss everyone...think i'm going to skip my growth aids tonight too...

I have to admit that wigs have really stopped most of the transitioning problems I was having in the beginning. Closing in on 1 year post just seems crazy to me. And I realized how much of my relaxed ends I've actually retained. I'm actually kind of proud of myself and I'm ready to stay in this for the long haul.

just thought about BC'ing a bit earlier than what is is my siggy. I have a friend that is in beauty school and she needs some ethnic hair stuff for her portfolio. This woman has taught me SO much and been there for me in my darkest hour and I think I would let her do my BC as long as I cut the first piece or so myself first.

just need to think a bit more about it but that would mean I would be bcing as early as next week or so!

I have to admit that wigs have really stopped most of the transitioning problems I was having in the beginning. Closing in on 1 year post just seems crazy to me. And I realized how much of my relaxed ends I've actually retained. I'm actually kind of proud of myself and I'm ready to stay in this for the long haul.

same here! it's not easy at all!

I am here because of my daughter...she is now 4 months posts! I am so happy and she is too. I have been getting her rod sets for the past 4 weeks. They seem to do very well in her hair. she dances 5 times a week. I am wondering if I should keep doing the rod sets..at least for now, or do it myself...cornrows, etc. i do plan on getting her braided in a few weeks because she will be in competitions. any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Congrats to all of us who are going natural! I am and have been for the past 6 years!

bumping for advice... :)

Well ladies I must leave you all now b/c I just

BC'd!!!!!!!!!!

I left work early and came home with the intention of finally doing the big chop. After seeing how much of the relaxed ends were breaking off from just touching it, I knew it was time. I'm currently DCing so when it's all done with, I'll be sure to post LOTS of pics for you guys!!

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

what do you ladies think about relaxing your edges while transitioning? Congrats Nikki!!!!!!!!!

:huh: I am confused...how would relaxing edges help to transition? This is the first I have heard of this strategy. It would just lengthen how long it took to go natural ultimately IMO. I would never do it because I am transitioning to escape the relaxer :lol: I love my curlies, but if it works for some ladies, then they should go for it...I just have no idea how it would help :perplexed

what do you ladies think about relaxing your edges while transitioning? Congrats Nikki!!!!!!!!!

I don't wear my hair in a bun or slicked back styles, so I don't miss the look and even with my bantu knots/ twist and curl styles my hair is stretched so it lays down fine on its own when I wear a head band.

:huh: I am confused...how would relaxing edges help to transition? This is the first I have heard of this strategy. It would just lengthen how long it took to go natural ultimately IMO. I would never do it because I am transitioning to escape the relaxer :lol: I love my curlies, but if it works for some ladies, then they should go for it...I just have no idea how it would help :perplexed

I think this might also cause more problems in the long run because instead of having 1 line of demarcation on the hair strand there would be several sections of double textures which would lead to more frustration.

Just breezing by to say God bless the person who invented banding. It's made my life so much easier and reduced the amount of time I spend on my hair, kept SSKs to a minimum, combing is now so much easier. I've decided to keep on transitioning instead of BCing this month. If you haven't tried it already, I highly recommend it. Tons of videos on you tube too. HHG ladies! :)

about to hop in the shower to protein DC until my sister gets back with my bobby pins so I can do this style and HOPEFULLY dry by tomorrow.

I wouldn't do it because I think when I BC it will look strange that I have hair everywhere but my edges that is really short in comparison.

Nikki congrats! I can't wait to see! I'm so pumped!!!!

Back