New *2011* Transitioners Support Thread!

^^^I kinda thought that I would be towards the end of my long transition before he would even pop the question, but boy was I wrong lol.

Detangled my hair after 3 weeks of cornrows under a wig. Surprisingly I didn't have that much shed hair and I did some serious detangling... I didn't even have a quarter size worth of shed hair... I guess I shouldn't be complaining since so many ladies on the board are trying to stop shedding. I just find it weird.

On another note, I put my hair in a ponytail and all my relaxed ends are in the ponytail! :weird:

Okay, my twist outs aren't looking as nice as they used to. Probably because I'm afraid that I am going to take my hair out if I start them from my roots.

Any suggestions on how to help my shiny permed ends blend in better with my natural hair that's growing in when I bun? It's very noticeable. I have put aloe vera gel and then covered with a polyester satin scarf. I have also used shea butter and done the same thing. It's soft but not blending in as well. Am I expecting too much? :ohwell:
2TexturesforBun-th.jpg

Hey ladies are you all on facebook or twitter or anything? MY subscription is up in a few days and I'm not planning to renew my subscription but wanted to keep up with you ladies. So let me know if you're on any social networking sites. I'm also on hairlista and KISS so let me know if you're on there as well.

Hey ladies are you all on facebook or twitter or anything? MY subscription is up in a few days and I'm not planning to renew my subscription but wanted to keep up with you ladies. So let me know if you're on any social networking sites. I'm also on hairlista and KISS so let me know if you're on there as well.
Whyyyyyyyy?????? Don't go please. You ladies inspire me to keep on trucking. But I can understand you not wanting to come back.

Okay ladies I'm totally torn right now. My original goal was 18-24 months for my transition. Well 24 months ain't gonna happen lol. I'm currently 9 months post. I make a year in April,15 months in July and 18 months in October. I'm getting married in September and as much as I'd like to have my own hair our for it, that ain't gonna happen either lol. The only reason I was gonna hold out until 18 months was for that reason alone-to have enough length to rock a bun and a swooped bangs for my wedding. I told my future DH that I wouldn't wear a wig for the wedding. He laughed and said I could do whatever I wanted. So my dilemma is...chop at 12,15 or 18 months? I'm comfortable with either of them. I plan on wearing a whole lace front wig for the wedding now that I've found the perfect one. SO CONFUSED!!!

I agree with the other ladies - BC at 12. You know how to wig it well :yep:

We'll miss you LaFemme. I'll PM you my FB info

I'm 17wks post today! I'm going to shampoo, HOT, protein treatment and dc! I may do a rollerset, bantu knots or just plait it up since I have been rocking my wig!

Okay, my twist outs aren't looking as nice as they used to. Probably because I'm afraid that I am going to take my hair out if I start them from my roots.

Any suggestions on how to help my shiny permed ends blend in better with my natural hair that's growing in when I bun? It's very noticeable. I have put aloe vera gel and then covered with a polyester satin scarf. I have also used shea butter and done the same thing. It's soft but not blending in as well. Am I expecting too much? :ohwell:
2TexturesforBun-th.jpg

Hey shaun, how many months into your transition are you? I was in your shoes a few months ago--trying to have my natural hair blend with my relaxed ends. One day I realized it needs to be the other way around--your relaxed ends have to get with the program and blend with your natural hair :grin:

Initially, it was tough for me to leave my house with big hair because I was so accustomed to having straight/ easily slicked back edges. I recently started doing twist and curl hairstyles and I LOVE IT!!! My hair looks great and I can't wait for my hair to grow out some more because it means more volume!!!

Check out msariella89 on youtube. She has great style demos.
Here's one of her videos: YouTube - Bouncy Curly Two-Strand Twist Out

I've been wearing this style for the past 2 weeks: YouTube - Transition to Natural Hair Style
It doesn't last me a full week because I'm not using a product with strong hold, so usually by Wednesday I have to re-do my hair with some bantu knots.

Hello im a new poster anywho...next week illl be one year post and I noticed my ends looked chopped and screwed lol so I washed it and saw I had alot of shrinkage and little relaxed ends left in some areas so I concluded it was breakage so I went and got a sew in should I have done something else and is that common while long term transitioning? TIA

washing and dcing today. can't believe i'll be 1 year post in about 10 days...this is surreal!

I thought I'd post a pic of what my hair looks like now. It is freshly shampoo'd (keracare hydrating detangling sulfate free) and wet in this picture.

Ive been transitioning almost 18 months. I used heat ALOT for the first 13 months. So my hair is unintentionally heat trained. I also can't really tell what is heat trained hair and what is leftover relaxed hair. I'm not a "natural nazi" though and I'm really just into health and length, so it doesn't really matter much to me and I won't be attempting to cut off the heat trained hair unless it is breaking. I stopped using heat when I noticed my ends were getting dry and limp

The middle of the back of my nape hangs down like that bc it is a looser silkier texture than the rest of my hair, it has been like that all of my life.

I will be straightening and getting a trim in 2 weeks.

Attachments

• freshwash2011.jpg
    freshwash2011.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 78
Imani your hair is beautiful!

Ugh my last detangling session was tiring. Did a braid out with my silk scarves with just four braids this time and I still resulted in a big fluffy fro, like my hair looked natural, but I had some pretty knarly tangles in my hair. I really considered BCing today and then decided against it.

IDK though...we'll see.

I thought I'd post a pic of what my hair looks like now. It is freshly shampoo'd (keracare hydrating detangling sulfate free) and wet in this picture.

Ive been transitioning almost 18 months. I used heat ALOT for the first 13 months. So my hair is unintentionally heat trained. I also can't really tell what is heat trained hair and what is leftover relaxed hair. I'm not a "natural nazi" though and I'm really just into health and length, so it doesn't really matter much to me and I won't be attempting to cut off the heat trained hair unless it is breaking. I stopped using heat when I noticed my ends were getting dry and limp

The middle of the back of my nape hangs down like that bc it is a looser silkier texture than the rest of my hair, it has been like that all of my life.

I will be straightening and getting a trim in 2 weeks.

Imani, I love your progress. :yep:

bunning...I think I will be trying to detangle later on today and bunning the rest of the week until it's time for my trip.

and I need to remember that I had bad hair days or days my hair didn't want to cooperate when I was relaxed as well. Going to cowash later today, take my time detangling and it will all be okay.

Last edited:
Imani, I love your progress. :yep:

Thank you!

I had a cutting mishap with an incompetent stylist back in April of last year, it could probably be a good 2-3 inches longer. :nono: But oh well, lesson learned. Will only let people I know and trust cut my hair. I'm still on track to make APL before the end of this year.

washing and dcing today. can't believe i'll be 1 year post in about 10 days...this is surreal!

It sneaks up on you fast, doesn't it?

I'm glad I transitioned for a long time. I'm pretty sure if I had tried to BC early on, I would've gotten frustrated and relaxed. With transitioning I had a chance to gradually get used to my natural hair without the shock of such a drastic change.

Hi I'm joining from the Transitioning without BC'ing Support Thread.... I'm 9 months post now and still going strong! I'm currently rocking some mini twists which I'll probably take down in a couple of weeks. Who knew I'd make it this long but my daughters are my inspiration so I know I can make it to May 2012!

bunning...I think I will be trying to detangle later on today and bunning the rest of the week until it's time for my trip.

and I need to remember that I had bad hair days or days my hair didn't want to cooperate when I was relaxed as well. Going to cowash later today, take my time detangling and it will all be okay.

This is what I used to have to remind myself of when I would get tempted to relax. I personally had just as many bad hair days when I was relaxed but with the added treats of dry, limp, breaking hair, scalp irritations, and not to mention that oh so pleasant relaxer smell and burning scalp feeling on relaxer day. I have a sensitive scalp and the thought of never having to sit through another relaxer day alone was enough to make me reconsider.

Thanks Sikora. I read this on Friday and didn't get a chance to respond. Your words about blending my relaxed hair with my natural hair kept echoing in my mind as I went to church and a women's event. I felt re-empowered. :)

I will definitely check out those YouTube videos. Friday evening, I played around with my hair and came up with another alternative that I think I can do for a while. I also bought eco styler for my edges and to hold my shorter hair down. It's in layers in the front and so it's always a challenge when I bun. Aloe vera gel just wasn't strong enough.

Oh and I am almost 3 months and 2 weeks.

Thanks Sikora. I read this on Friday and didn't get a chance to respond. Your words about blending my relaxed hair with my natural hair kept echoing in my mind as I went to church and a women's event. I felt re-empowered. :)

I will definitely check out those YouTube videos. Friday evening, I played around with my hair and came up with another alternative that I think I can do for a while. I also bought eco styler for my edges and to hold my shorter hair down. It's in layers in the front and so it's always a challenge when I bun. Aloe vera gel just wasn't strong enough.

Oh and I am almost 3 months and 2 weeks.

No problemo!

I've decided to transition. Right now I am about 3 months in. I've been wearing sew-ins for about the past 4 -5 months. I'm going to take down the sew-in I have now and get kinky twists. For the ladies who have been using sew-ins and extensions: How long of a break do you give your hair in between?

Thanks

^^I usually waited about 2 weeks in between my installs to give my hair a break and to baby it as much as possible.

sigh i need to get a wig im tired of my hair right now....not to mention it feels so short i swear the cat next door has more hair than me:ohwell::lachen:

Back