New *2011* Transitioners Support Thread!

Ladies with relaxed ends,

How are you handling the ends when NOT using heat and you're not bunning?

My ends are soo straight that they don't want to do anything. I cannot twist because they unravel, and it's a struggle to keep them wrapped around perm rods and those bendable things.

Could some of you share how you're managing? I'm most sticking with updos because I'm challenged. Thanks.

Have you tried straws or flexi-rods?

Checking in today at OFFICIALLY TEN MONTHS POST! :weird::weird: The countdown to a year post is officially on! It feels weird knowing I only have 8 months to go to reach my goal. It seems almost too close. Another goal I finally met this past week was finally learning how to cornrow. :lachen: But now I can officially be a total DIYer and learn to do some of those pretty cornrow styles.

I am 7 months post today!!! YAY! My hair has been getting on my nerves lately & I have been fighting the urge to BC...so I got my friend to put some cornrows in & I did some crochet braids all by myself! I am so freaking proud of myself...I am hair-styling challenged, but I have come a LONG way :grin: Transitioning has forced me to build up some new skills, so I am grateful for that unexpected benefit of this natural hair journey :yep: I ran out of hair, so tomorrow when I finish up the last bit of my crown area, I'll post pics! I plan to keep the style for 6 weeks...then maybe do it for another 6 weeks after a 1 wk break.

I totally feel you on that! I said that to myself the other day - boy I am having to get creative. The only thing I have ever known (or been drawn to) is the rollerset, but that is not as hot after a couple of days. I've been learning how to do twist sets/braidouts. They are amazing and low manipulation. Yaay!

blow dried my hair today and measured my natural hair and I have close to 6 inches! now if I can figure out how to get an inch per month from now till BC date I will be one happy camper.

trying to figure out how I will be doing my hair for tomorrow.

Yes I went there, I BC'ed :grin: I'm so happy I did. I'm in so many challenges so I have to keep it braided/hidden. The breakage I was getting before was not worth it, plus detangling is a breeze now :yep:. I took many pics but since I'm in the HYH challenge I asked for permission as soon as they let me know if I can post them I will do it here. :)

So...I really don't feel like disturbing my hair...but she hasn't been washed in 2 weeks so I guess I'll show her some love. Gonna pre-poo with honey, aloe vera gel, conditioner, and evoo then follow up with my acv wash. Should I be adventurous and try a bantu knot?....IDK...maybe I should stick to my staple braids. We'll see.

Here's how my braidouts have been looking. Pretty decent but I need to stop being lazy and roll the ends so they will blend and curl.

Attachments

• braidout1-15.JPG
    braidout1-15.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I was getting so annoyed with my hair that I had to put it away for real! I put in crochet braids after seeing so many threads and cute pics with them...hopefully I can do one more install so I can have the hair hidden until early May! When I started looking at the scissors and thinking of chopping, I knew I had to put my hair out of my own reach :lol: I LOVE how they turned out :yay:

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    497.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    529.6 KB · Views: 53
I was getting so annoyed with my hair that I had to put it away for real! I put in crochet braids after seeing so many threads and cute pics with them...hopefully I can do one more install so I can have the hair hidden until early May! When I started looking at the scissors and thinking of chopping, I knew I had to put my hair out of my own reach :lol: I LOVE how they turned out :yay:

Very cute! I want to do some so bad but I'm scared I'm gonna suck lol

Hi Ladies! Checking in. I've made 19 months post earlier this week.:grin:

I'm going to my brother's wedding next week, so today I went in for some color and ended up asking her to cut some more perm out. She took off about 1.5 - 2in. In some spots, I have no perm left and I could see the curls POPPING!!!! :afro: I was so excited.

At this rate, I think when I have my next trim in late March/early April (I've been trying to trim every 2 months....grow an inch, cut an inch.), I may be fully natural.:grin:

They are really easy! You can't mess them up! If I can do them, anyone can! :yep:

Plus, since you live near me, I can personally help if things go south :lachen::lachen:
QUOTE=LaFemmeNaturelle;12679803]Very cute! I want to do some so bad but I'm scared I'm gonna suck lol[/QUOTE]

They are really easy! You can't mess them up! If I can do them, anyone can! :yep:

Plus, since you live near me, I can personally help if things go south :lachen::lachen:
QUOTE=LaFemmeNaturelle;12679803]Very cute! I want to do some so bad but I'm scared I'm gonna suck lol
[/QUOTE]

Girl I didn't even realize you were in Ann Arbor....so um....if you wanna make some money just let me know cause I'll def pay you lol are you a student?

Checking in today at OFFICIALLY TEN MONTHS POST! :weird::weird: The countdown to a year post is officially on! It feels weird knowing I only have 8 months to go to reach my goal. It seems almost too close. Another goal I finally met this past week was finally learning how to cornrow. :lachen: But now I can officially be a total DIYer and learn to do some of those pretty cornrow styles.

Doesn't it feel good to be in the double digits?! Good job KUTGW! :yay:

Meanwhile I did a braid and curl and it looks okay, I guess

Ladies with relaxed ends,

How are you handling the ends when NOT using heat and you're not bunning?

My ends are soo straight that they don't want to do anything. I cannot twist because they unravel, and it's a struggle to keep them wrapped around perm rods and those bendable things.

Could some of you share how you're managing? I'm most sticking with updos because I'm challenged. Thanks.

braiding it and wiggin mostly.

Maybe you should try a twist out (with flat twists) I wear my wear in a twisted beehive and when I took it out, I had a really cute twist out. Even the ends were curled.

I dont know how much natural vs relaxed hair but lately it seems that my ends are better about holding twists and plaits, where earlier, they would laugh at me if I attempted it

Yes I went there, I BC'ed :grin: I'm so happy I did. I'm in so many challenges so I have to keep it braided/hidden. The breakage I was getting before was not worth it, plus detangling is a breeze now :yep:. I took many pics but since I'm in the HYH challenge I asked for permission as soon as they let me know if I can post them I will do it here. :)

post em anyways! congrats!

braiding it and wiggin mostly.

Maybe you should try a twist out (with flat twists) I wear my wear in a twisted beehive and when I took it out, I had a really cute twist out. Even the ends were curled.

I dont know how much natural vs relaxed hair but lately it seems that my ends are better about holding twists and plaits, where earlier, they would laugh at me if I attempted it
So I guess the more natural hair you get the better the ends hold? That's good to hear.

Hey, I'm 26 weeks post hoping to go 2 years without big chopping, I keep having the urge but am holding off

Sent from my Droid using Long Hair Care Forum App

Checking in at 19 months post! Been out of commission last couple of days so catching up on posts

:congrats: Can't wait to see pics!

So...I really don't feel like disturbing my hair...but she hasn't been washed in 2 weeks so I guess I'll show her some love. Gonna pre-poo with honey, aloe vera gel, conditioner, and evoo then follow up with my acv wash. Should I be adventurous and try a bantu knot?....IDK...maybe I should stick to my staple braids. We'll see.

Here's how my braidouts have been looking. Pretty decent but I need to stop being lazy and roll the ends so they will blend and curl.

Your braidout looks so good! I wish I could get mine like that --- my NG ends up in a big poof after 30 min. :nono:

Your hair looks so cute! Great job!

Thanks Dr. J. I think I may not have that problem because my hair is so long and weighs down the natural hair....I really don't know lol

But yeah, I still have this crap in my hair ya'll. I REALLY don't feel like fighting and washing it out. I've decided to change my reggie again. I'm only going to wash my hair every 2 weeks. I was doing it weekly but co-washing is starting to take just as long as shampooing and it's not fun anymore. So yeah. Gonna wear a braidout for the first week and bun for the second week. I'm straightening again next week tho. Can't wait!

@LaFemmeNaturelle and LilMissSunshine5 - hair looks fabulous! Keep up the good work. I think I need to visit both of you guys for some hair tips! I'll be happy to host and whip up some treats and appetizers!

Hi. Newly decided transitioner checking in....

1. How far into the transition are you? 9 1/2 weeks I guess
2. Whats your transition goal? I would like to transition for a least 1 year.

I think I'm almost ready to BC. The last time I had my hair out, it was excruciating dealing with the line of demarcation and I lost patience more than once and ripped the comb through:nono:. My tangled teezer just arrived though. Maybe when I use it after I take my braids out, it will make detangling less painful. Anyone used tangle teezer on transitioning hair? Comments? TIA.

I think I'm almost ready to BC. The last time I had my hair out, it was excruciating dealing with the line of demarcation and I lost patience more than once and ripped the comb through:nono:. My tangled teezer just arrived though. Maybe when I use it after I take my braids out, it will make detangling less painful. Anyone used tangle teezer on transitioning hair? Comments? TIA.

I'm 11 months post and I love the Tangle Teezer. I was using a modified denman before and still took FOREVER to detangle and I thought I would have to chop soon. I got that TT and I LOVE it. I can detangle my whole head in 15 minutes where before it took 30+ minutes to detangle. I absolutely LOVE it. It will help you continue transitioning.

I'm 11 months post and I love the Tangle Teezer. I was using a modified denman before and still took FOREVER to detangle and I thought I would have to chop soon. I got that TT and I LOVE it. I can detangle my whole head in 15 minutes where before it took 30+ minutes to detangle. I absolutely LOVE it. It will help you continue transitioning.

That's good to know. I'm taking my braids out in a few weeks and I'm so eager to try it out. If it works, I guess I'll stay on the course to my earlier BC date - Sept 2011!!! :yep:

The Tangle Teezer changed my life! I can detangled very quickly...like in 10 minutes! And I have thick hair & have been transitioning for a little over 7 months! I can't wait for you to use it! Let us know what you think of it :grin:

my braid and curl came out decent! this is nice because i'm tired of my wigs and want my daughter to see me wearing my hair out more and us looking alike. but since it was on blow dried hair its sorta janky looking. makes me wanna cowash...I haven't been able to rock a decent braidout in about a year for some reason

I gave in and bought a pink Tangle Teaser. I can't wait to use it on Tuesday (I have my hair in braids now for a braid out tomorrow and won't cowash until Tuesday!).

Back