New *2010* Transitioners Support Thread!

I did a flexirod set. I have NL/SL hair so my it makes my hair look really short. I was already kinda self-conscious about it, but rocked it anyway. And actually ended up liking it. The second my dad sees me he says "What are you doing with your hair?" "It doesn't seem like you dont know WHAT to do with it." :sad: I guess it will be back in its bun tomorrow even though it took me a whole day to figure out how to even do this hairstyle... I just want pretty hair. :sad:

Don't let that comment discourage you...but be ready for more of those comments! If you like the flexi rod go ahead and keep doing it :) You sound like me when I first began my transition...I wore a twist out one day for the first time and was sooo self conscious and then realized i liked it! You will start to feel more comfy...i might have missed it..but how far in your transition are you?

I did a flexirod set. I have NL/SL hair so my it makes my hair look really short. I was already kinda self-conscious about it, but rocked it anyway. And actually ended up liking it. The second my dad sees me he says "What are you doing with your hair?" "It doesn't seem like you dont know WHAT to do with it." :sad: I guess it will be back in its bun tomorrow even though it took me a whole day to figure out how to even do this hairstyle... I just want pretty hair. :sad:

Don't be discouraged. Sometimes people make these comments because they're not used to seeing your hair in a different style. Keep wearing it --- they'll get used to it.

I'm 13 months post. When I started transitioning, I was between APL and BSB. Two weeks ago I had my hair blow dried and flat ironed. I finally reached BSB. :yay: The pic was taken by my beautician after she blow dried my hair (excuse the highlights growing out). I'm sitting down so it's not a good length check picture but hopefully you can get the gist. My beautician had to convince me to let her trim 1 inch because I was excited about my growth. She said that my relaxed ends were tangling up with each other and a trim would help with taking care of my hair (last trim Feb 2010).

I'm glad she trimmed it because I noticed the difference when I washed my hair tonight. Detangling was a breeze!! :yep: I also used an ORS Replenishing Pac for the first time (it was free) so maybe that helped. I was planning on transitioning for at least 2 years and letting my relaxed ends fall off on their own but I think it is best if I trim an inch every 3 months to help with the managability of my hair.

3 months post and got my first curly install today. I'm totally loving it!!!!! :grin: I'll be sticking to this look til the end of the year at least. Might switch it up next year back to straight hair but we shall see. I plan on keeping this one in for at least 3-4 months so I need to change up my reggie. Any suggestions on how to take care of my hair with the install in???

Good Morning!

I'm still hanging in there! I also still have the cornrows extensions in my hair. Tuesday will make it 4 weeks that I've had them in, so I need to start taking them down soon. I'm too lazy to do it though, plus I don't know how I want to wear my hair in between the next set of cornrows. Once I take these out plan to have at least a 1-2 week break before I get another set of cornrows. I also think after the second set of cornrows, that I will get kinky twists and ride that out until December 5th (which will mark 1 year since getting a relaxer).

I am over 5 months post and I have surrendered myself to twistouts and braidouts exclusively. This has definitely helped with the edges, growth, and maintaining a no-heat regimen.

i'm currently about 22 weeks post...i've had senegalese twists and now micro sew-in during my last 6 weeks. I'm anxious to check out my growth :))

3 months post and got my first curly install today. I'm totally loving it!!!!! :grin: I'll be sticking to this look til the end of the year at least. Might switch it up next year back to straight hair but we shall see. I plan on keeping this one in for at least 3-4 months so I need to change up my reggie. Any suggestions on how to take care of my hair with the install in???

what kind of hair do you have installed?

i suggest co-washing, washing with sulfate free poos, and oiling your scalp with your fave oil...(i use castor oil, since Im in the challenge lol)
Just keep your scalp clean and oiled...The reason why I suggest oil over water based leave ins is because those leave ins will cause your cornrows to "lift"/loosen sooner than expected.

I'm 43 weeks post. Things are going well, however I've had some breakage in my crown. It's kinkier than the rest of my hair and the strands are the thinnest. I think the relaxed hair there was just really weak, because I have like 2 inches left in the crown, but about 4-5 inches of relaxed hair other places.:nono: I didn't realize that my hair was breaking like this until the past couple of weeks that I've been out of my half wigs....I was like Ohhhhh snap.

I'm trying to transition for 1 1/2-2 years, but I'm wondering if it makes sense anymore, esp. since my hair is starting to break off. It sucks because otherwise, the rest of my head looks good., esp. in braidouts. But an unintentional choppy look isn't cute.

Once it get's cooler, I may just BC and get back to my wigs. Just a vent.

I found that I had to care for my relaxed ends differently than my natural hair...I apply different leave-ins, etc. When I do protein treatments, I focus on the ends, etc.

what kind of hair do you have installed?

i suggest co-washing, washing with sulfate free poos, and oiling your scalp with your fave oil...(i use castor oil, since Im in the challenge lol)
Just keep your scalp clean and oiled...The reason why I suggest oil over water based leave ins is because those leave ins will cause your cornrows to "lift"/loosen sooner than expected.

I used Deja Vu Deep Wave. I peeped in the Weave It Up Challenge thread and saw their suggestions on how to maintain an install too. How often did you cowash?

So to add on to my post from yesterday. I did NOT take down destroy my flexirod set. lol. instead I decided to transform it into something better. I'm officially rocking a flexirod mohawk and I feel like this is much more me. I'm so happy about this that I don't even care who doesn't like it. All I did was smooth down the sides and clip it in place. I will admit I stole this from a tut on youtube and the girl who did it was all natural but I figured "what the hey!" and it turned out great! This will definitely be added to my transitioning styles... Its low-mani with a great style. I'll try to post pics of it later...

So to add on to my post from yesterday. I did NOT take down destroy my flexirod set. lol. instead I decided to transform it into something better. I'm officially rocking a flexirod mohawk and I feel like this is much more me. I'm so happy about this that I don't even care who doesn't like it. All I did was smooth down the sides and clip it in place. I will admit I stole this from a tut on youtube and the girl who did it was all natural but I figured "what the hey!" and it turned out great! This will definitely be added to my transitioning styles... Its low-mani with a great style. I'll try to post pics of it later...

Good for you!! I am not a big fan of short hair on myself either and whenever I do my strawler sets, I HATE the first day and LOVE the second because it is much fuller. The more you do it, the more comfortable you will be about it. KUTGW!!!

1 year post today. Yippee.

I had a Mizani Therasmooth treatment (without the flat ironing) and all my hair is straight and soft and silky.

My stylist pointed out that i had more regrowth than relaxed at the back. I was
very happy but i'm not ready to bc just yet.

Keep going everyone.

What exactly is the thermasmooth treatment? I thought it was just products...it makes your hair straight? Please enlighten me!

ETA: Congrats on making 1 year post!

Its a 4 step system that helps to achieve a smooth straight finish as it gives amazing results on natural hair. The ingedients also act as a heat protectant. It is contains a shampoo, conditioner leave-in and a serum. My hair was wrapped in cling film with the conditioner on. I opted not to have a flat iron but even so my hair is swinging.

Maybe someone could help me explain as i really don't know the technicalities but i know i've never had my hair this smooth and straight with just a blowdry
without a relaxer being involved.

Last edited:
Thought I'd post pics of the flexihawk I did. Yes, I said flexihawk. I LOVE this style btw. :weird:

flexihawk.jpg

flexihawkcurls.jpg

hi all! i chopped the back half of my head, so i'm 100% natural back there. just got braids yesterday. i'll keep these in for a few months and then hopefully, i'll have enough length in the front to chop the rest of it. hhg!!!

Back