Naturals

snookes

My new growth shrinks is that normal? I mean it's a different texture to my ends, my ends are looser curls but my new growth tight. I am natural by the way

Is your hair entirely natural and curly/coily? If so, then shrinkage is normal.
Yeah completely natural. I don't know if it's shrinkage I just know my new growth is tighter than the ends & really hard to detangle is that normal?

I don't know if that is normal. My ends are tighter than my roots.

How are you detangling? Are you using a wide tooth comb? Do you think it could be shed hair that isn't fully being removed from the roots causing it to draw up?

I don't know if that is normal. My ends are tighter than my roots.

How are you detangling? Are you using a wide tooth comb? Do you think it could be shed hair that isn't fully being removed from the roots causing it to draw up?
Hi I detangle with the magic star seamless comb. I detangle once a week and finger detangle daily. I keep my hair stretched by doing braidouts to prevent tangles and shrinkage. But my new growth is definitely tighter than the ends

My hair seems like that.

I think it's just because the length of my hair has been stretched (braids), then the new growth comes in un-stretched.

If its still two different textures at top to bottom after a thorough shampoo I would guess its mechanical, chemical, or heat damage on your ends.

Hi I detangle with the magic star seamless comb. I detangle once a week and finger detangle daily. I keep my hair stretched by doing braidouts to prevent tangles and shrinkage. But my new growth is definitely tighter than the ends

Sorry, I'm not going to be of any help. I'm not familiar with that at all.

After you do your weekly detangle with the comb are your roots still shrunken or does it feel/look better?

Your roots are the newest and most resistant part of your strand. The ends have been washed, conditioned, braided, etc. It's natural for the roots to have more shrinkage. It'll loosen up as those strands get older.
Thank you Prettymetty, so it can be normal to look like I need my re growth relaxing even though I am 100% natural?

My hair seems like that.

I think it's just because the length of my hair has been stretched (braids), then the new growth comes in un-stretched.

If its still two different textures at top to bottom after a thorough shampoo I would guess its mechanical, chemical, or heat damage on your ends.
Hi Sumra, I big chopped 19 months ago, I don't use heat or chemicals. Only henna every 6-8 weeks on my roots gray hair

Thank you Prettymetty, so it can be normal to look like I need my re growth relaxing even though I am 100% natural?
Yes. Sometimes I feel like I am doing a relaxer stretch lol. Then when I wash and dc my hair it all seems to be a more uniform pattern.

I second GrenadianGal, and would like to see a pic to see what's going on.

I washed my friend's hair yesterday and she said she's been noticing the same thing about her hair- that her coils seem to be coming in tighter that the ends of her hair, so I still think this is normal (wear, mechanical damage), but will wait to see pics:).

My hair does that, too -- my roots appear tighter than my ends. Although, I always keep my hair stretched, sometimes my scalp sweats (like when I'm exercising) and causes my roots to revert.

I second GrenadianGal, and would like to see a pic to see what's going on.

I washed my friend's hair yesterday and she said she's been noticing the same thing about her hair- that her coils seem to be coming in tighter that the ends of her hair, so I still think this is normal (wear, mechanical damage), but will wait to see pics:).
Uploaded file, sorry to scare you lol. Shrinkage on a braidout

Last edited:
@snookes From the pics, it looks as Melisandre describes- slight reversion at the roots, with the length stretched from the braid-out. Does your hair appear the same way when washed, or wet and loose?

@snookes From the pics, it looks as Melisandre describes- slight reversion at the roots, with the length stretched from the braid-out. Does your hair appear the same way when washed, or wet and loose?
Yes it's the same no matter what I do, wet, dry, stretched and wash n go's. It shrinks and tangles massively.

It looks how it was when I was relaxed and my new growth needed touching up, thought I got away from that shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit going natural lol

@snookes Not scary at all:).

The tangles sound frustrating. Maybe it could be an ingredient/ product you are using? Or technique? My hair doesn't really tangle when I wear it unstretched and loose. I also finger detangle. I wear wash and goes- clay washing or water rinsing and then shingling with gel.

I think its the henna. I have had this issue but it doesn't bother me. Didnt even think about it til this thread lol.

Henna can loosen your curl pattern over time. Your roots haven't had much exposure to it but as time goes on and the more applications it loosens up further down the strand as it grows but stays tighter at the roots. You could henna more often. I do it every 2 weeks so its not an issue now. But I never cared about it anyway :lol:.

ive read a few women quit henna here because of the texture changes.

It's the henna. I did that. I use henna maybe 2X a year now but at the beginning of my journey I used it monthly. It would smooth my napps but then the new growth would need the same in 4 weeks. So I trimmed my hennaed ends. With time & patience I could have just let it grow out but you know how "we" are so impatient when it comes to hair sometimes.

Back