Naturals....Why must relaxed ends

I've never got this either. What if you hold the relaxed hair up so it's not weighing down the hair? Wouldn't it be the same as when your relaxed hair is cut off?

Also, I thought hair types are just determined by the curl size? I mean, a 4a curl is still gonna be 4a even if it's weighed down by relaxed hair because the curl is smaller than say a 3b. Whether it's stretched out won't make a difference.

But I do agree that it depends on how much new growth you have.

I agree, I pretty much knew I was 4a just by looking at my curl size.

Why is knowing if u r fine, normal , or coarse better?

McQuay30 I know you were asking @ms-gg (mentioning her so she sees your question), but it helps because fine hair and coarse hair behave differently. Like coarse hair may have more weight and therefore "swang" when straightened while someone with fine hair may follow the exact same regimen for straightening and end up with Don King hair that is so light that hanging is impossible.

Or two people could do a WNG using the same gel to weigh hair down and the one with fine hair my find the coils elongate and show definition better than the one with coarse hair whose coils need a bit more "weight" to stretch them and so instead of having bouncy coils, the coarse hair person may just have a shrunken afro, or vice versa.

There are also times you will hear someone rave about a product and another say it weighs her hair down. Texture differences are the reasons for the different results.

Last edited:
To add to what Nonie said, it also has something to do with the so called "protein and moisture balance". I was using too much protein when I first chopped off my relaxed hair. Why? I have coarse hair, and coarse hair does not need as much protein as people with fine hair (I don't use ANY). Fine hair is weaker than coarse hair (it has less cuticle layers), and it needs the protein for structure. So not knowing any better, I was listening to people who had fine hair and tried to follow their routines when I didn't need to use any. So that is why knowing whether you have fine, medium, and coarse hair is important in my opinion.

@McQuay30 I know you were asking @ms-gg (mentioning her so she sees your question), but it helps because fine hair and coarse hair behave differently. Like coarse hair may have more weight and therefore "swang" when straightened while someone with fine hair may follow the exact same regimen for straightening and end up with Don King hair that is so light that hanging is impossible.

Or two people could do a WNG using the same gel to weigh hair down and the one with fine hair my find the coils elongate and show definition better than the one with coarse hair whose coils need a bit more "weight" to stretch them and so instead of having bouncy coils, the coarse hair person may just have a shrunken afro, or vice versa.

There are also times you will hear someone rave about a product and another say it weighs her hair down. Texture differences are the reasons for the different results.

Do I have to have a lot of new growth in order to tell if I have fine, normal, or course? I remember when I relaxed and flat iron my hair it was flowing, not real heavy but this was after relaxing, blow drying, and flat ironing, interesting.....

To add to what @Nonie said, it also has something to do with the so called "protein and moisture balance". I was using too much protein when I first chopped off my relaxed hair. Why? I have coarse hair, and coarse hair does not need as much protein as people with fine hair (I don't use ANY). Fine hair is weaker than coarse hair (it has less cuticle layers), and it needs the protein for structure. So not knowing any better, I was listening to people who had fine hair and tried to follow their routines when I didn't need to use any. So that is why knowing whether you have fine, medium, and coarse hair is important in my opinion.

Protein and moisture balance in regards to fine, normal, and coarse.....this is all new. Okay my experience with protein is I only used the Motions CPR, the Aphogee was to strong, the Ultra Doux was also to strong. So with that in mind maybe I have coarse hair???? But all of this will change once I have gone completely natural, correct??

Do I have to have a lot of new growth in order to tell if I have fine, normal, or course? I remember when I relaxed and flat iron my hair it was flowing, not real heavy but this was after relaxing, blow drying, and flat ironing, interesting.....

McQuay30, well you have to be able to see the thickness of your natural strands so a bit of length is might be necessary so you don't strain your eyes. Texture is determined by the diameter of your strands: Thick = coarse; thin/narrow = fine. And even then, trial and error may be your best teacher on what works for your hair. Sometimes a little research is necessary--like looking for threads discussing what you think you may have and then seeing if your hair behaves the same way.

@McQuay30, well you have to be able to see the thickness of your natural strands so a bit of length is might be necessary so you don't strain your eyes. Texture is determined by the diameter of your strands: Thick = coarse; thin/narrow = fine. And even then, trial and error may be your best teacher on what works for your hair. Sometimes a little research is necessary--like looking for threads discussing what you think you may have and then seeing if your hair behaves the same way.

Thanks, this is truly a journey but my little coils for sooooo cooooollll....:grin:

Back