Naturals Who Work-Out...

Naturals, how are you wearing your hair to workout?

• In a ponytail

Votes: 51 37.8%
  • In a bun

Votes: 40 29.6%
  • Wrapped under a scarf

Votes: 26 19.3%
  • Pulled back with a silk wrap

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • Pulled back with a mesh wrap

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
I wear braid-outs or twist-outs all the time. When I work out my hair pretty much stays looking the same. It just gets bigger. I cover it at night in a satin bonnet without rebraiding or retwisting. I co-wash my hair every two days and I shampoo on Fridays.

However I wore my hair that day. If I'm working out when I just wake up, I just toss a bandanna on my nightly twists.

I'm in a puff, sometimes twists or a WnG.

I noticed that the "out" styles would just be a poof when I got done working out...that would lead me to a co-wash.

I use my workout time to DC. So I'm usually wearing a plastic cap. Then I just rinse my hair afterward.

But, I'm thinking of joining a gym so I don't know how that will work out. It would be really uncouth to wear my scarf while working out.

I use my workout time to DC. So I'm usually wearing a plastic cap. Then I just rinse my hair afterward.

But, I'm thinking of joining a gym so I don't know how that will work out. It would be really uncouth to wear my scarf while working out.

Not really. I've never done it but I see people do it in the gym all the time. Even the white women. A lot of them wear it to absorb the sweat.

I usually work out straight from work so however my hair was that. If I had an usually different style, I always bring in my bag a squirt bottle of water, brush and a stocking to pull my hair in a puff or just headband it. Doesn't matter if it gets poofy because I cowash when I get home anyway.

I wear my hair straight in a press and curl and I work out 5 days a week with two day of body building. I am 53 and love my natural hair. Try sabino moisture block it works great for me and my hair is soooo nappy. I wear my hair back with a phoney pony (low) its a great slick look for work and play. People think I have a perm.:grin:

:up: Same here....I workout at home, I have a treadmill. :yep:

I have a twa so mine is out and about when I'm coming from work...but on the weekend, when I do not do my hair, I'll just throw on a scarf (cotton) fold it in a triangle and tie it..You can find a lot of them in cool crazy colors at all the arts and crafts shops...

I'm PS'ing in a wig for now with cornrows underneath, but I REFUSE to work out in that wig- it gets too hot! lol

For the hour I'm working out, I just thug it with my cornrows and a scarf tied around my hairline to catch the sweat lol.

I like to rock a puff pulled back with a scarf unless I have 2 strand twist in already. Then I'll just pin them up in an updo and tie it up in a scarf. When I take the look down, it makes a really cute style!

Probably the easiest to have done - and maintain. Goddess braids. I believe they are also known as slave braids. i asked my beautician to part my hair down the middle and put one braid on each side.

these are very simple "under-hand" cornrows. She did it in l - 10 mins with extension hair. My mom used to do this when i was a kid.

It's maintained just like cornrows. Stays out of the way because my hair and the extenison hair is put in a small chignon at the very nape of the neck. This style can last up to 6 weeks.

It can be a "glamorous" hair style with accessories, plus it definitely shows off the face. My SO and friends feel it's a very practical-yet "cute" style. Me? I'm just happy to have enough hair and sides to have an up-do.:)

Last edited:
I've searched and found some good tips but...:drunk:
I'm wondering how most naturals wear their hair when they work-out???

My hair is usually styled in 2-strand twists so when I work-out, I put the twists up into a ponytail; as of this past week, i'm wearing it in a bun until December so it'll be bunned when working-out.

It does get a lil' poofy at the roots but that's ok because I usually can smooth that down in place overnight with a lil' moisturizer and some CD's pomade, and wrap tight with my satin scarf. :yep:

Last edited:
I work out almost everyday of the week. My hair is always in a braided bun. I tie a scarf on it and sometimes I put a cap on top of it.

Back