NATURALS ! What's going to be your summer style?

TheQueenBeeMaya

I've been contemplating this question for a while, and I can't seem to figure out an answer, so I need some help ! Natural ladies, how do you plan on wearing your hair during the summer? I live in a very hot (over 100 degrees) city so wearing my hair pressed will no longer be an option come May/June. I'll probably be visiting the water park pretty often, so something that can hold up through that would be awesome ! Even though I've been natural my whole life, for the last couple years i've only been a pressed sista and a salon baby, so caring for my own hair in it's natural state is something completely new to me ! Everyone share their suggestions on summer hair care/styles!

I think this summer is going to be a mixture of wash 'n gos (pretty much all I ever wear), pompadours, pin curls, rollersets, and whatever cool hairstyles I can cook up.

I didn't really worry about styling my hair because I was waiting to reach BSL. Then, I realized that I many never make it to BSL. Maybe there was a reason my hair has been this length for so long. So, I am going to try experimenting with styles on my short hair for the fun of it.

Twists and twist outs will be my style of choice for the summer and most of the year. I may switch up with wearing a 3/4 wig with flat twists in the front.

Keeping it simple and hiding it for the whole year.

I haven't had any cornrows in several years so I'm on the hunt for a braider who won't pull my brain out. I'll also wear twists and single braids. There's no air conditioning where I work so when its in the nineties outside it's even hotter inside the building so I want my scalp out where it can catch a breeze from the fan every now and then.

I haven't had any cornrows in several years so I'm on the hunt for a braider who won't pull my brain out. I'll also wear twists and single braids. There's no air conditioning where I work so when its in the nineties outside it's even hotter inside the building so I want my scalp out where it can catch a breeze from the fan every now and then.

OP: Great topic! but my hair is only about 6 inches all around (had it cut in layers when I big chopped in February) so how are the short naturals wearing their hair? The humidity in Houston will be off the chain shortly so I have to know.

Mahoganee: Who is that in your siggy? I just about fell over when all that hair jumped out at me! :blush:

OP: Great topic! but my hair is only about 6 inches all around (had it cut in layers when I big chopped in February) so how are the short naturals wearing their hair? The humidity in Houston will be off the chain shortly so I have to know.

I've been thinking about this too, its probably going to be Wash n go's and twist-outs all summer long. Its really hard to do anything else especially since I'm back in the gym. I'm interested to see what some of the other ladies will post.

I'm a short haired natural- 6 inches. And i plan on wearing a combination of curly fros, wash n go's, twist-outs, puffs, and I will be carrying around a spritz bottle to keep it moisturized. This is my first summer as a natural and I want to enjoy it.

Curlnikki's Twist-n-Curl! I love this hairstyle! I might try a few wash-n-gos and bantu knot outs. Curly Chronicles's youtube channel has a lot really cool styles I might try as well if I don't get too lazy.

wash and gos and wigs I guess. I'm not very creative. Maybe I'll play with some hair toys this summer. :lol:

Curlnikki's Twist-n-Curl! I love this hairstyle! I might try a few wash-n-gos and bantu knot outs. Curly Chronicles's youtube channel has a lot really cool styles I might try as well if I don't get too lazy.

I just discovered CurlyNikki today and I think i'm already obsessed ! What style are you wearing in your siggy? It's beautiful !

I just got my braids done this weekend. I wear tree braids during the summer. Its already hot here in Vegas.

I just discovered CurlyNikki today and I think i'm already obsessed ! What style are you wearing in your siggy? It's beautiful !

Haha yeah her blog is really addicting. I hope you're prepared :yep: I re-read old posts almost everyday and take notes lol My siggy is a pic of twist-n-curl. I love this style! It's easy and predictable. I always get good results now that I'm using better products.

I'm just going to go with the flow...I do plan on increasing my cowashing from 2-3x per week to as often as I like (maybe even daily), but other than that, I don't really have one set style in mind.

I like to experiment with styles during the warmer months, so I'm just going to have fun with it.

Twists, put into a updo.

*feeling rather like the Brain*

At some point, I'll switch to a new style, but I'm getting this one down pat, and I'm fast at it, and I can get my hair wet once during the week - it's a winwin.

Mahoganee: Who is that in your siggy? I just about fell over when all that hair jumped out at me! :blush:
Some model I found on another website. I don't know her name but I love her hair!!:infatuated::2cool:

Since I'm still transitioning (I'm 14 months post so my hair acts natural for the most part) I will probably stick with buns, the occasional braid out, and maybe some cornrows. The problem I have is straight ends - if they get smooshed or wet they lose the curl and ruin the the whole style. :ohwell:

For me, my signature wet bun with middle a part and twistouts. I'm sure some wash-n-go's will be thrown in for good measure too. ;)

for me, buns, twists, w&g's and at some point im going to micro braid my roots (i have a patience issue so idk when that will happen)

W&G's (with headbands, scarves...I can't stand to have hair around my face when it's hot), twists, and coils. Probably wont do as many twist outs and braid outs.

Back