Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS....

Re: Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS...

WestNDNbeauty, thank you for mentioning that conditioned hair can take heat. I totally agree with that. I have switched to the method semi-based off of Patchoulli's method of deep conditioning. I mix conditioners then add honey and oils. I have noticed that my hair does get really straight in one pass and reverts when I wash. The key is to find the best deep conditioner for your hair (which may not come straight from the bottle) and deep condition often.

Re: Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS...

someone is seeking knowledge....hope they find some in this thread.

I'm saving this thread for the day many months from now when I straighten my hair.:yep:

Cyd, is that what we're calling it ? 'Relaxer Technique' :)

I'm not sure, I was actually going to ask you that. Is it the Patchoulli85-WestNDNBeauty DC technique?

Since you introduced it, I think you should have the honor of giving it a name. :drunk:

I'm saving this thread for the day many months from now when I straighten my hair.:yep:

I actually think the technique should be used anytime you DC rather than just when you straighten. I did my best WNG ever using this DC technique and Whimsy's WNG technique.

I looked back at the pics I posted in this thread in mid-Jan, and I should update you all. I've gotten better with the flat iron and I feel like my hair has grown. As a matter of fact I'll do it the first week of March, I would've been using this DC technique weekly for 2 months.

I hope my pics support my thesis. :lachen:

I actually think the technique should be used anytime you DC rather than just when you straighten. I did my best WNG ever using this DC technique and Whimsy's WNG technique.

I looked back at the pics I posted in this thread in mid-Jan, and I should update you all. I've gotten better with the flat iron and I feel like my hair has grown. As a matter of fact I'll do it the first week of March, I would've been using this DC technique weekly for 2 months.

I hope my pics support my thesis. :lachen:

I think so too. I've been doing this consistently since the beginning of Dec and will continue to do it until..... My braid n curls just appear so much healthier and moisture is retained throughout the week (and then some). I usually don't have to add any kind of additional moisture to my hair after wash day.

I'm not sure, I was actually going to ask you that. Is it the Patchoulli85-WestNDNBeauty DC technique?

Since you introduced it, I think you should have the honor of giving it a name. :drunk:

I like 'Relaxer Technique' because that pertains to how you apply the conditioner as well as how your hair can look if you decide to straighten.

Great job, Cyd! Relaxer Technique it is!

Can't wait to see your pics!

anyone have before and after pics? Cyd??

You hit the nail on the head. Moisture starts with squeaky clean hair. Period.

eh.. doesn't always work for 4 heads...lol.. I deep condition and my hair still looks like OPs pic number 2... different strokes for different folks

I still owe pics!! I have not forgotten!

@ Truth, did you specifically use this technique before your puffy flat iron? Or was it simply a DC?

I used to DC too (before this method), and I would straighten and be puffy. When I DC using this technique, (not even the same products weekly or as WNDNB or Patchoulli) I get optimal results.

thanks Cyd.

@ Truth, I also used to simply deep condition, but have you tried completely coating each strand with a very moisture rich deep conditioner?

I leave mine on overnight. How about you Cyd?

Or Truth, maybe you need to build up to having super moisturized hair and do a few treatments before flat ironing.

Subscribing
icon_lurk.gif

thanks Cyd.

@ Truth, I also used to simply deep condition, but have you tried completely coating each strand with a very moisture rich deep conditioner?

I leave mine on overnight. How about you Cyd?

Or Truth, maybe you need to build up to having super moisturized hair and do a few treatments before flat ironing.

Most of the time I leave it on overnight. The least amount of time I've done is 3-4 hours. I recently got a steamer (I haven't put it together yet), so I'll have to see how it effects things.

i'm in the process of trying this now!!
i put on my DC using "The Relaxer Technique"© WestNdNbeauty:grin: (the silk elements mega moisturizing, AMAZING, mixed with some coconut oil cause that's all i have in my dorm room), and i'm headed off to the gym.

when i get back i'm going to sit under the dryer for a lil bit just to make sure i've generated enough heat, shampoo, instant condition, add just my serum (i would use a liquid heat protectant, but the one i have right now makes my hair feel crunchy), blowdry, and then flatiron. whew-sounds like a LOT.

i'll try to post pics when i'm all finished!
i always get pretty straight results, but i'm curious to see just how big of a difference this can make in the longevity of my flat-iron job. cause i want this to last until i get my hair braided next week thursday. :look:

i'm in the process of trying this now!!
i put on my DC using "The Relaxer Technique"© WestNdNbeauty:grin: (the silk elements mega moisturizing, AMAZING, mixed with some coconut oil cause that's all i have in my dorm room), and i'm headed off to the gym.

when i get back i'm going to sit under the dryer for a lil bit just to make sure i've generated enough heat, shampoo, instant condition, add just my serum (i would use a liquid heat protectant, but the one i have right now makes my hair feel crunchy), blowdry, and then flatiron. whew-sounds like a LOT.

i'll try to post pics when i'm all finished!
i always get pretty straight results, but i'm curious to see just how big of a difference this can make in the longevity of my flat-iron job. cause i want this to last until i get my hair braided next week thursday. :look:

Patiently waiting for you to weigh in!

Patiently waiting for you to weigh in!
ummm...so yea...i'm actually gonna try it tonight.:look: i came home and felt too tired to go through with all of it, and i had an 8 am class this morning. but i will definitely update when i'm done in about two hours. :yep:

I have updated the post to add that I use the Nioxin Thermal Bliss as my detangler when my hair is wet (just before I blow dry it).

I'm going to do the DC tonight and press in the morning. Usually my press comes out fine since using Sabino Moisture Block and getting a better flat iron. But I hope this one looks better.

I DC'ed yesterday with honey and oils added, a DC similar to Patchouli's. I thought I could get away with not washing my hair afterwards because I don't like washing after DC'ing lol.

Let's just say, I should have! My hair was sticky and weighed down :(

Thank you WestNDN for the tips. I'll try them to the T next time I flat iron :)

I'm going to do the DC tonight and press in the morning. Usually my press comes out fine since using Sabino Moisture Block and getting a better flat iron. But I hope this one looks better.

ummm...so yea...i'm actually gonna try it tonight.:look: i came home and felt too tired to go through with all of it, and i had an 8 am class this morning. but i will definitely update when i'm done in about two hours. :yep:

Saddened by the lack of pics. :cry:

This is really helpful. I would have never thought:wallbash::grin:. Did ur hair fully revert back when u washed it?

Saddened by the lack of pics. :cry:
awwww....i'm sorry-i just kept forgetting. ok, here goes.
i always get my hair silky straight, but i really got interested in this because i want that SWANG. i used to use too much product, and it weighed my fine hair down. well, when i went and got my neck length bob, i decided that it was imperative i get that SWANG. :grin: and i did.:grin:
ummm...can we please ignore any glimpse of my messy dorm room and focus on the hair?:look:
hairstuff286.jpg

just a lil frizz on the crown after exercising, but it stayed really straight...the longevity with this method was awesome-it really stayed straight and light!:yep:
oh, and that darn lil tail piece at the back decided to grow all extra fast and ruin the shape of my bob.:perplexed
hairstuff287.jpg

i wish i had swang shots, but i can assure you my hair was MOVING..:grin:
hairstuff288.jpg

This is really helpful. I would have never thought:wallbash::grin:. Did ur hair fully revert back when u washed it?

Mine always does.

@ Rocky...looking good lady! I'm glad this worked for you!

sooo...do u guys not use any moisture block? if you do when do you put it on and how much do you put on?

also, when you're using this method do you not use any heat protectant ?

sooo...do u guys not use any moisture block? if you do when do you put it on and how much do you put on?

also, when you're using this method do you not use any heat protectant ?

I don't use any moisture block. For me that would be extra product to weigh your hair down. And I think someone else mentioned a few pages ago that when the hair has all the moisture it needs, there is a less chances of frizzing occurring.
Since using this method....I've actually been caught in rainy humid GA weather and my hair did not frizz like it normally would.

Also, I personally don't believe heat protectant is necessary when you have well conditioned hair (b/c nothing can prevent heat damage when the temperature on your appliance is too high or you do too many passes), but my detangler is also labeled a heat protectant (Nixon Thermal Bliss).

But I won't speak for everyone else....

subscribing for future reference....

Thanks OP!!!!

Well, I did it and my results did not turn out well, in fact it was disasterous. I think several things led to my less than steller results

1. my hair had just come out of a sewn in weave that was in for 1 month. While under the weave I shampooed and conditioned twice.
2. I had to do a dry detangle of my hair before washing it so that I would not have massive tangles once washed.
3. Once detangled dry I DC'd with a mixture of Aubrey's Organic Honey Suckle, Organic Honey and Olive Oil. It remained in my hair overnight, DC'd for 12 hours.
4. I then shampooed out the DC because I read in this thread that someone shampood their hair after their DC to get out any residue
5. I did a partial airdry and then blew dried the rest
6. I did not put in a heat protectant and initially I put my flat iron on the highest temp but later lowered it.

Results....(no pics sorry, I was extra, extra pissed), My hair was VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY crunchy, dry and tangled....EXTREMELY TANGLED at the ends. Initially I could not understand what went wrong, but later while reading some more, I realized my cuticle layer may be raised and my porosity is off.

Well, I am currently DC'ing again with AO, Organic Honey, Castor Oil, Olive Oil and Mayo for light protein. Ohh and I purchased Porosity Control to help with my porosity issue. My hair even when wet feels dry. I'm not sure what I will do to my hair aftward but I will be doing an agressive moisture but light protein fix for my hair. I will also be cutting away at the damaged ends. I actually had my hair clipped before I installed the weave but there was damaged up the shaft.

I will try this again and post results.

Well........I cut it all off from SL to EL (eyebrow length) LOL

Seriously I did.

And I think I'm going to relax this coming Sunday....OR go seriously bald....seriously.

My hair is damaged from root to tip and I don't understand. I don't use heat on a regular basis maybe 4x's a year and I wash and condition regularly. It should not be this hard to figure out...soo dollars down the drain I'm going permed and short. I'll restart my growth journey officially on next Sunday. Maybe when I'm 35 I'll reach my WL goal. I'm 31 now.....sigh

I've been trying unsuccessfully to be natural off and on...and I just can't get it right. It's too much work for me...so for now I'm officially eyebrow length and I'm tired and may end my natural journey.....I don't know yet. We'll see.

Back