Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS....

Re: Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS...

Are there any moisturizing conditioners I can buy from Sallys or beauty supply?

Re: Naturals (especially type 4)!!!! The Secret For Perm Straight Hair In ONE PASS...

Are there any moisturizing conditioners I can buy from Sallys or beauty supply?

Silke Elements Moisturizing Treatment is a really good one!

@ FeelinIt--girl sorry that you are going through this with your hair :(

I can only speak for myself, but natural hair is an experience. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to just give up and slap a relaxer in my hair. I would honestly say that it is only within the last 2 years that I've come to love my hair even though we still have words occasionally...but I love it nevertheless. Hang in there:)

Last edited:

Hi ladies,

Better late than never, right?

NO PRODUCT--post DC, steam and wash
STRAIGHTENED--with Chi Silk Infusion and Motions Heat Protectant on soaking wet hair. I have a SuperStar Flat Iron that I use on about 300-340 degrees.

I didn't get a length shot that was safe for public viewing, but I'm grazing APL. I must not have had the flash on, so sorry if the pics are grainy. These pics are from this weekend; I flatiorned on Easter, 4.4.10.

Attachments

• Picture 092.jpg
    Picture 092.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Picture 093.jpg
    Picture 093.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 154
  • Picture 094.jpg
    Picture 094.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

This thread is right on time for me. I just started my transition to natural and knowing that I will be a straight haired natural, this thread will help a lot. Thanks WestND!!

FeelingIt sorry about your hair, hte only ting I can say about that is that AO HSR is a protein based condish maybe that's why your hair was crunchy. But hair grows and your will. Keep your head up

Hi ladies,

Better late than never, right?

NO PRODUCT--post DC, steam and wash
STRAIGHTENED--with Chi Silk Infusion and Motions Heat Protectant on soaking wet hair. I have a SuperStar Flat Iron that I use on about 300-340 degrees.

I didn't get a length shot that was safe for public viewing, but I'm grazing APL. I must not have had the flash on, so sorry if the pics are grainy. These pics are from this weekend; I flatiorned on Easter, 4.4.10.

It looks great!

This is what I did with my DD's hair...I used a little Redken Heat Glide and a couple of drops of MOP Shine Drops...(I will have to take a pic of her 4-5 day old hair)

To think - this is what they have been doing in YT salons for the longest...I always thought I had to use a lot of product on DD's hair because she was natural. Not even necessary!!

Steaming definitely had made a difference in flat ironing as well

Didn't mean to hijack Soror! (lol)

Just wanted to big up WNDNB for pointing out the importance of moisture. Usually I just wash, condition, rinse and then spray a little leave in and heat protectant. This time I took more steps to focus on moisture retention:
1. DC'd overnight
2. After rinsing and detangling I left in a lighter conditioner
3. Sprayed my hair with a mix of acv/water to lay down the cuticle
4. Applied sabino moisture block to sectioned hair
5. Blow dried on warn
6. Flat ironed. My iron goes up to 450.

Not only was it straight in one pass, but three days later it's still silky, and soft, and blowing in the wind. :)

1270655964.jpg

sooo...do u guys not use any moisture block? if you do when do you put it on and how much do you put on?

also, when you're using this method do you not use any heat protectant ?

I'm a sabino fan. I use a dime sized amount on each of the four sections of my 4a/b hair and then blow dry. I don't add anymore b/c then it will make your hair feel heavy and greasy. My hair is natural now, but when I was relaxed I used a dime sized amount on each half of my head and then blow dried.

Well........I cut it all off from SL to EL (eyebrow length) LOL

Seriously I did.

And I think I'm going to relax this coming Sunday....OR go seriously bald....seriously.

My hair is damaged from root to tip and I don't understand. I don't use heat on a regular basis maybe 4x's a year and I wash and condition regularly. It should not be this hard to figure out...soo dollars down the drain I'm going permed and short. I'll restart my growth journey officially on next Sunday. Maybe when I'm 35 I'll reach my WL goal. I'm 31 now.....sigh

I've been trying unsuccessfully to be natural off and on...and I just can't get it right. It's too much work for me...so for now I'm officially eyebrow length and I'm tired and may end my natural journey.....I don't know yet. We'll see.

What signs and symptoms let you know your hair is damaged? If its not heat damaged, and I can't imagine how a sew in with your hair braided down would cause true damage. Remember, hair naturally sheds in different phases so crinkly ends and shed hairs and some breakage may not be all over damage...I just am thinking you may have prematurely BC-d.....? I see people doing this a lot.You're gonna have some hairs longer than others once again cause of the different phases the hairs are in at different times...so it may not have that seamless LOOK you were hoping for but it doesn't mean damage. My hair always comes out good with a flat-iron...sometimes, and other times I don't get it right, and I get a crinkly look. You may be protein sensitive and don't require a lot of protein...That can make the hair hard and krinkly looking, and thus a turn off. I personally think that naturals don't need A LOT of protein and it tends to be more difficult for us to strike that P/M balance.....Anyhoo....DON'T give up! you started this journey for a reason....Its better to fall 10 times than to give up for good ONCE!

SUBSCRIBING!

I usually DC weekly. I will try this super DC method by adding oils too. I use ORS Replenishing Condish (mild protein) weekly. I may add a little Jpico Kpax condish to my ORS if I need more protein than usual, but thats the extent of it.....I will build up then try flat-ironing in a few weeks....Is the 2 min Aphogee necessary?
Plus my hair can't take too much protein or it'll look dry and frizzy which is why now that I am natural I don't even bother with Aphogee.

Im 4b, transitioning for almost 8 months. This is similar to the technique used at my salon. Work in tons of moisturizing conditioner (strictly moisture, no protein hardly ever), sit under steamer, rinse, blow dry with hardly any products (just a light leave in), flat iron with no products except maybe a little serum.

I am trying to perfect this at home as well. One thing I've definitely noticed is that your hair has to be really clean. BUT, don't overdue it with the shampoo, or else it will dry out.

Also, all so called moisturizing conditioners are not created equal. some of them will also have protein in it, so look at the ingredients. some of them have too much cones and will have that hard plastic feel to your hair. some are just too heavy, and won't rinse out well and leave a residue in your hair which won't get you that "swang". U have to find one that works well for you.

My avatar pic was flat ironed at my salon using this technique.

Ok so i was under the impression that shampooing would strip my hair of everything. How many times do you ladies shampoo after the DC and how will you know if its enough?

SUBSCRIBING!

I usually DC weekly. I will try this super DC method by adding oils too. I use ORS Replenishing Condish (mild protein) weekly. I may add a little Jpico Kpax condish to my ORS if I need more protein than usual, but thats the extent of it.....I will build up then try flat-ironing in a few weeks....Is the 2 min Aphogee necessary?
Plus my hair can't take too much protein or it'll look dry and frizzy which is why now that I am natural I don't even bother with Aphogee.

I'm not sure if this question is in response to my original post, but the Aphogee/Protein overload is what I USED to do before learning about moisture which resulted in the flat iron job you saw in pic #2. HTH

Ok so i was under the impression that shampooing would strip my hair of everything. How many times do you ladies shampoo after the DC and how will you know if its enough?

I've shampooed as much as 3 times. But understand I did this because I had been DCing for 3 days prior. and kept finding residue. lol. Don't ask why I conditioned that long...it was an experiment. But just know the results of that experiment was pic #3.

I haven't DC-ed for the length of time since and I only usually need to wash my hair once after a regular overnight DC.

I'm not sure if this question is in response to my original post, but the Aphogee/Protein overload is what I USED to do before learning about moisture which resulted in the flat iron job you saw in pic #2. HTH

Okay! Thanks for clarifying that for me.....I will definitely do an overnight DC before I flat-iron next time....

Had to post--Im transitioning and LOVE this thread...thanks so much. I know this will def help me along the way!!! Really great info!! Thanks again!!

i straightened today using my tried and relaxer conditioning method (Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Treatment, only) and i must also make note that i don't have to silk wrap my hair anymore for increased straightness after flat irons. i forgot to mention that in my OP.

:)

A few youtube tutorials are up my sleeve...

ITA, my best flat iron yet was after I used my steamer to deep condition. My hair was very moisturized and stayed pin straight until wash day. I love the Nioxin Blisss...purchased it after I saw a natural use it on youtube.

I really want to get a steamer, but I'm just too vain about my decor sinc ei have no where to store.

bumping for Kinywah. hope this helps.

AO is protein based? i feel like a dunce, but how do you kno if a conditioner is protein based or not? i looked on my bottle and it doesn't say anything like that. TIA

AO is protein based? i feel like a dunce, but how do you kno if a conditioner is protein based or not? i looked on my bottle and it doesn't say anything like that. TIA

I've seen posts where people have called it a light protein. I guess. I dunno. I just know it kinda leaves my hair hard.

I purchased from Ulta for about $13 for an 8oz. I wish they sold larger bottles.

The Nioxin can be found at yourbeautystop.com - 16oz for $14.99 with $4.99 flat rate shipping.

bumping up this great thread-for anyone who's interested, i'm straightening today utilizing this method in order to get a trim at the salon tomorrow, and i'd be glad to share some pics. :look::grin:

Thanks for this thread and info. I used this method on my sisters and myself. We are a mixture of natural, texlaxed and relaxed, and it worked great on all of us.:yep::yep::yep:

Back