Natural ladies: do you go to a salon or are you completely self-styled?

do you go to the salon?

• Yes - regularly

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Yes - but only for special occasions

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • Nope - I am completely self-styled!

Votes: 125 71.8%
  • I did in the beginning, but now I'm completely self-styled!

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Glib Gurl

I'm about 6 months into my transition and I haven't been to a hair dresser at all . . . I'm thinking about trying to go see a natural haircare salon, but I'm afraid they'll try to big chop me . . . so far I've been doing a decent job on my own though and it's got me thinking . . . I may end up being completely self-styled :yay:

I'm just wondering about you ladies - whether you visit the salon and if so, do you go regularly or just for special occasions?

I have gone to a professional for trims. Back in my old city, I went to a professional for flat ironing. But I don't know anyone for that job in this new town. I went to super cuts for the trims.

I've only been once in my life for a flat ironing that cost 100 bucks! and I washed my hair the same night. The stylist said don't wash it for three-four days and my whole family thought he was crazy. Doubt I'd go back unless I wanted to go blonde.

When I first transitioned I was getting my hair professionally flat ironed regularly at a salon that specializes in straightening natural hair. But I've been protective styling/hiding my hair the past 10 months. I do still get professional trims and flat irons but now its only every few months.

I'm very style challenged, so I've been thinking about going to a natural salon to get twists done. I think if I did them myself they would come out not looking very neat.

Haven't been to a salon in 16 months, and unless I get one of those coveted Reniece appointments, I really don't see myself going back anytime soon :nono:

I voted "special occasions" because I've been to the salon for a blowout and trim once a year since being natural (twice so far). I'll probably continue to do that because I know my hair is not even when I trim it myself.

I trim myself in twists, stopped using heat, so the only reason I go to a salon is for a complicated cornrow/avant garde kinda style for a special occasion if one of my friends is unavailable. I wanna get to the stage where I'm totally DIY.

Naw.

I just don't like the feeling of other people's hands in my hair. I guess it's a pet peeve.

The very last time I went to the salon about 10 years ago, the stylist burned my edges so bad I have not been back. Plus that was the very last time I got a relaxer.

Also, I cannot stand being in a salon waiting for 5 hrs to go home.

I have been completely natural since 9/2004 (my big chop). I guess I vote YES - but only for special occasions because I have been 3 times for senegalese twists, twice for weaves, once for my wedding, and once for my college graduation. I usually self style, and I am not good at it. Still, after almost 7 years I do not most like styles when I do them myself. I haven't really had the time to groom it, or learn what looks good on me.

What I can say is that no matter how unsatisfactory my self style is to me, it is more satisfactory than the feeling my hair has after a trip to the salon. Twists and weaves in the salon have pulled out my hair around the edges, and once I lost a silver-dollar sized patch in the crown from a weave that was braided too tight. When my hair is pressed/curled, it gets heat damaged...loses the natural curl pattern and I hate it because it further ruins the look of my natural styles. I definitely don't get trims because I don't care about even right now and won't until I get to my goal length. I only do S&Ds.

Now it's not to say that I am anti-salon because I'm sure there are some good ones, but I haven't been to a salon in a long while (I even did my first weave a few months ago and loved it!) and see no reason in the near future to do so.

I went 2 weeks ago.
$60 for a wash and flat iron that only lasted 3 days.

No.Thanks.

I voted nope. I don't go to the salon because of bad experiences and I don't keep a style in long enough to pay someone to do my hair. Maybe oneday I'll be a special occasion natural but my special occasion styles are half wigs and home made U shaped wigs.

Been doing my own hair since 2005. I'd only let one of my friends do my hair. She understands how anal I am about its treatment.

Completely self-styled. I've only ever been to a salon twice, both times during my transition.
First stylist did my hair very well and the style lasted pretty long, but she cut half my length off. Second stylist heat damaged my hair for a style that lasted a day and seemed to resist the urge to slap a relaxer on my hair.

I haven't been to a stylist for 2 years now, but I still wish I could get someone to rollerset, straighten and trim my hair with the care I would, so that getting my hair done could be a relaxing experience for me too. :lol:

I'm completely self styled I have not found a stylist that I would deem trustworthy enough to touch my hair. Last time I went to a salon was in 2001 when I came out of my braids . My hair was full shoulder length and they "trimmed" my ends to ear length. So now I take all of my hair matters into my own hands, trimming split ends, shampooing, conditioning, flatironing,styling, I do it all myself.

I do my own hair. Now that I've learned how to trim, I really don't have a need to go. I go to the salon for a weave every once in a while but I've been doing those myself lately too.

Completely self-styled and loving it. I can't think of anything a salon (natural hair or regular) can do for me that I can't do for myself......Good riddance!!

I went to a salon in the beginning. Now I am completely self styled. I've never had a problem with salons so I may go again in the future. I stopped going because I wanted to learn more about my own hair which I wasn't learning when I went to a salon.

There are times I like to be pampered. I like someone else shampooing my hair and scrubbing my scalp. And the salon I was going to was a lot of fun, lots of laughing and trash talking. I like to keep my options open. I am definitely thinking about going to get my hair rollerset.

We will see.

I go about 3 times a year.

Gimme that cute juicy baby!!! She is such a cutie!!! I don't even know what question the OP asked....got distracted by all the cuteness! :lol:

OP: I'm self styled. I let a friend flat iron my hair at her salon and I think she was too rough for me. My scalp and ends haven't been the same since...smh.

I'm definitely self-styled. The last time I went to a salon to get my natural hair straightened was back in November 2009. I suffered some heat damage because of it, and I haven't looked back since. Now I just flat iron my hair myself.

Relaxed and natural, I've never been much for going to salons. I voted No, but I guess I should have voted for Yes - only special occasions, but even that category didn't seem to fit. It's not like I go to salons if I'm attending a wedding or other "special" event. The last time I went to the salon was Dec '10 to get a dominican blowout. It wasn't special, I kind of just wanted to see what all the hubbub was. (Alot of heat, but it was swanging and I got complete reversion).

I'm not against it and I'm personally not afraid of going to a stylist. For one, I'm cheap and don't like giving away my hard-earned money on hair (especially when I'm probably going to wash and want to undo my hair in a few short days or a couple weeks if its braids). I don't wear weaves or color my hair, so there is no need to go for that reason. And I'm learning to braid my hair myself, so there is no reason for me to go for that reason.

The only time I go to a salon is for a Dominican blowout. I only get those once, maybe twice a year. This goes for when I was transitioning & now since I`m natural.

I've never been to a salon in my entire life. My hair was always done by either my mother or my sister. Now I mostly do it myself (sometimes my sister still helps me out).

i haven't been to the salon since i've been natural, but my eyebrow lady owns a salon and said she would flat iron and trim my hair for $20 so i'm gonna let her do it either this week or next week...i also want to see how her rollersets turn out because those are only $15.

Back