Natural ladies: do you go to a salon or are you completely self-styled?

do you go to the salon?

• Yes - regularly

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Yes - but only for special occasions

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • Nope - I am completely self-styled!

Votes: 125 71.8%
  • I did in the beginning, but now I'm completely self-styled!

Votes: 7 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I chose "Completely Self-styled" b/c I only visit a salon 3x a year for a trim and light flat ironing for length-measurement purposes.

I do everything to my own hair, from styling to trimming to coloring to straightening. There were times when I cut too much on one section or a style didn't come out the way I envisioned or my hair didn't respond well to a particular product/technique but this "learning curve" paid off. Now I know my tresses better anyone and do lots of research (aka LHCF search engine, lol) before venturing into a new "domain" of hair. The health of my hair is thriving and I'm saving lots of $$ so I don't see myself going to a "professional" for anything hair related...

@Glib Gurl, do not go. I repeat. Stick to the plan being selfstyled. There's nothing as upsetting as making it a long way to a length you always dreamed of, only to have a SHS change the script on you and rob you of 5+ inches when you know darn well, you didn't need that much of a "trim". (I talk from experience!)

No one can love your hair the way you do. Trust that!

I completely self style but have wanted to go to the salon to touch up my layers. I've been thinking about refreshing my color (since all my grays and whites are poppin up) but I haven't made the decision.

I'm about 6 months into my transition and I haven't been to a hair dresser at all . . . I'm thinking about trying to go see a natural haircare salon, but I'm afraid they'll try to big chop me . . . so far I've been doing a decent job on my own though and it's got me thinking . . . I may end up being completely self-styled :yay:

I'm just wondering about you ladies - whether you visit the salon and if so, do you go regularly or just for special occasions?

Are you going on a recommendation? If not, make sure to check on Yelp for any horror stories LOL I'm joking, but just be careful because the new thing now is have a natural salon, but the stylist has no clue what to do with us.

I say hey go and pamper yourself. When I was transitioning I think I went about 3 times to the salon. As long as they know what they're doing you should be fine.

No I'm self styled the only time I go to a salon is for a special occasion updo that's complicated and I can't do it myself I even self trim and my hairs fine I can't have some stylist mess me up at this point in my HHJ like Nonie said
If someone cut me way back andhat wasn't mutually agreed upon I can't be held responsible for what happens to them :nono:
If I go out I have some pretty go to styles that are easy for me to do and look dressed up in.

Last edited:
I am completely self styled. I did get my hair cut professionally once last year (thankfully I didn't regret it!), but that was it in almost 9 years.

I only go a few times a year for sew ins and before she sews me up, she'll trim if needed..everything else is self styled at home..there's no way I would have been able to transition for 2.5 years with type 4 hair with a stylist ripping thru my hair every 2 weeks :nono:

I have not been to a salon in 6 years.
I trim my own ends. I recently bought a split ender I like the results.

I taught myself how to cornrow and do my own braid extentions
so I don't need a salon

I have an amazing stylist that I go to for trims and to flat-iron. When he flat-irons my hair it looks pin straight for weeks. If I didn't feel the need to wash I could go for 3 weeks and still look amazing. I don't think I could ever master flat-ironing techniques well enough to replicate. And after, my hair always reverts to my curl pattern. My stylist is really good with my hair. If I could afford to I would go every other month but I only go for special occasions. The next time I go will be to trim the last of my relaxed ends and officially end my transition.

I know I'm going to have to go back in order to get a trim cause I can't do that.

I'm just scared of someone pressing my hair to death/heat damage.

Since i became natural i do not go to a salon, actually when i was relaxed I went to a salon to get a short haircut and that was 10 years ago. And 3 years ago when i was relaxed I went to get at trim and a doobie. I enjoy taking care of my own hair and learning along the way.

LOL at Nonie calling me back in here :giggle: But you are right, girl . . . I *love* this quote . . . in fact, I'm going to add it to my siggy :yep:

No one can love your hair the way you do. Trust that!

One of things I miss about being natural is the salon.

I feel you. I actually enjoy going to the salon . . . and a lot of ladies in their "why I went natural" testimonials talk about hating the process of getting relaxed but I truly enjoyed it. I never got burned . . . the relaxer always felt wonderful on my scalp . . . I loved the cool, soothing feeling . . . even as a kid . . . I try to replicate it with leave-in but it's not the same. There's just nothing like being pampered by having someone put their hands in your hair . . . .

I have an amazing stylist that I go to for trims and to flat-iron. When he flat-irons my hair it looks pin straight for weeks. If I didn't feel the need to wash I could go for 3 weeks and still look amazing. I don't think I could ever master flat-ironing techniques well enough to replicate. And after, my hair always reverts to my curl pattern. My stylist is really good with my hair.

See, I envy this . . . in my limited exposure I feel like most stylists who do relaxed hair don't really know how to give a relaxed head a good flat iron without burning the mess out of it . . . and I'm still scared of the Dominican salons!

I have been self styled for 2011,although I would prefer not to be. I really value a great hairdresser, but in searching for one I weighed extra time (doing my hair my self) against loosing my hair (letting other hairdressers style my hair). I learned that the time I saved in a nice style was no comparison to the time I'm using to try to grow my hair back...I still really want a good hairdresser, but I want the search to be worth what I find.

I know I'm going to have to go back in order to get a trim cause I can't do that.

I'm just scared of someone pressing my hair to death/heat damage.

This is what happened to me and I an so annoyed. Funny thing is the first time I went my hair reverted and this last time some parts didn't. Stylist get lazy sometimes.

To answer the OP question, I'm learning to style myself but will still go to the salon occasionally.

I have not been to a hairdresser. I'm to chicken that they will try to relax me on the sly. I have really thick hair. I love my thickness but some people assume that because they don't like thick hair on themselves that I must not like mine. Naw boo. This thickness is the ish. No see through edges or ends for me.

Yes....for special occassions only...Lately its been for a blow-out and press. I pay 55.00
I only go for presses when its cold. Its a waste of time in the warmer months. I also pay a girl to braid my hair in box braids (go to a friends house) but only do that a couple times a year, and I'll pay someone to do an intricate hairstyle for a special occassion since I cannot really braid or do fancy styles...But for everyday I do my own twists and natural braids, and I style my hair myself...

Just want to say that I read this entire thread last night before bed, and had a nightmare that I broke my rule and went to a salon for a trim. I left crying after the stylist "trimmed" my hair back to shoulder length.

New rule: Do not read LHCF before going to sleep.

Since I'm here, I do not go to salons because I hate how rough they can be on my hair. The last time I went, while washing my relaxer out the stylist ran her fingers through my hair (root to ends) and all I heard was snapping from her forcing her fingers through. Then I hated when she was forcing the rattail from root to ends, again all I heard was snapping ugh. Not sure if it was a sign from God or not, but by the time I needed a touchup the shop had closed, and so began my self-relaxing journey.

Back