Natural ladies - how often do you go to the salon?

Natural ladies - how often do you go to the salon?

• Never! I'm completely self-styled!

Votes: 97 89.8%
  • Once every 6-8 weeks

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • Once a month

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Every two weeks

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Every week

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh I didn't realize we were adding hair braiders lol. I've been a few times to get my hair braided too

For the last 3-4 years about once a year to try random bandwagon stuff (i.e.. keratin, highly recommended salons). Now, I haven't been in a year (since last September) and don't foresee myself going unless I'm really lazy and want a straight/sleek look with a good trim.

I went 3 times this year. I had planned to go monthly, but then decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Plus my products are better. I may go to a salon for my next set of mini braids. I hate doing them myself.

Last edited:
I go to a salon ONLY to style my hair at this point. I have gone a few times this year to different stylists trying to find a stylist who can care for my hair as well as style it and have had no luck.

Went to a stylist once for a trim and blow out. She cut 3" off and I refuse to go to another stylist. She was horrible. Tried to detangle my hair with the comb attachment on the blow dryer while my hair was shrunken,dry,and product-less :nono:

Sent from my Android...Boom.

At this point, I never want to go to a salon again. Perhaps I would for a blowout by a particular Dominican stylist that encouraged me to go ahead and transition, but that's about it. Tired of spending money for people to mistreat and get an attitude about how I want my hair cared for.

Last week I visited one of those $50 weave places out of curiosity. I decided while I was there I wanted to get it braided so I could wear my wig better. It was terrible! They washed it with motions shampoo, I had to request conditioner. Then they wanted to blow dry with a cheap vent brush. No effort to comb from the bottom. I spoke up and made her stop. Plus they were extra ghetto and didn't appreciate me not wanting some blue magic on my scalp.

If I can't do it, it won't get done.

I haven't been in about 5 years. I do everything myself now. I hate to admit it but I think I spend more money now, that I don't go to salons, on products. The trade off is a great sense of empowerment, however.

Haven't been since 09. I just need to get better and sit down and learn how to do some cute professional styles. i'll have to start stalking youtube again

Last time I went to a salon was June 2009 - after that, I started transitioning. I've thought about going to a professional, but I really don't see the need any longer. I certainly don't need a salon for when I wear it curly and can straighten it myself without worrying about heat damage. Plus, I really never liked going when I was relaxing.

Never. I haven't been to a salon since the 80's. I was in my 20's when I started doing my own hair.

Last edited:
Never. I haven't been to one since I had a weave installed, last year. But to get my own hair done, I haven't been in 5 years. Once I reach my goal, I intend to get i prof blowdried, flatironed and trimmed maybe every 4 months.

I will be going every 4 months for a good trim. This requires me to travel to Georgia. So, yeah...three times a year is good enough for me.

I went last year for a shape-up and if I can find someone good around me, I will go again sometime early next year for a trim. I trim 2x a year and in the future, I would like for one of my trims to be done by a professional.

I cant remember the last time...going on 3yrs I think. The last time a stylist jacked me up, I developed a salon phobia.
I did let a girl braid my hair in her home about a year ago.

I went to a salon for the first time yesterday, since starting my journey in February. The salon was specialized in natural hair, but I was kind of nervous about the combing situation.

The girl took her time and it actually wasn't so bad. She complimented me and said I had very pretty hair I said thanks and told her I condition 2-3 times a week. She replied "you do what? Why so much?" So I'm like um I go to the gym a lot. And she asked "when u condition do u shampoo and everything?" I said no I use Aussie 3 min miracle and suave natural and joico. She goes "oh, that isn't bad, joico is the best. She bumped my hair so good it looks like I had a fresh relaxer. So happy with the results, but it was $56 for a simple wash and curl. Man, I can't afford to get my hair done too often if I'm gonna be paying damn near $60 for a style that won't last through the week.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

i usually go once every 3 months for a trim and she also flat-irons. this winter i may try to go to the salon 2-4 times to let someone twist my hair for the winter ....i will come in with it already blow dried and detangled though.

Six years ago was the last time I went was for micro braid extensions. That would be the ONLY reason for me to go is for serious braiding like that now. Never again will a stylist come near my hair with heat (they fry it every time) or shears (they always kept me above SL).

The last time I went to get the works (relaxer touch up, wash, flat iron) was 5 or 6 years ago. The last time I went to a salon period was for a trim (went to great clips) and that was about 2 years ago. I don't really have a need for salons, and I feel like they wouldn't know how to handle my natural hair properly anyway. Now that I wash my hair so often (cowash every day, shampoo 2 ish times a week) I feel that washing hair or even touching hair is very intimate. I guess it's b/c I do my hair in the shower so it's a part of my daily cleansing process lol. To get my hair washed by someone else just feels...wrong to me now. Kinda like...having somebody wash your butt for you or something lol. TMI, I know :lol: Basically, it just feels very personal to me now.

This year, it will be every four months basically for a blow out and trim.But after my next visit, it will only be for special occasions. I gotta do better with protective styling and protecting my ends. Plus, my boo is a barber and he can clip my ends if I need it (will that count?)

I haven't gone in more than a year if that. I can't recall. When I would flat iron my hair, either my mommy or my MIL did it for me. There's a good one in L.A.; but, I don't want to drive all the way out there for a straightening.

Back