My husband is indian and says since im black I cant grow my hair long!!!

mami2010

Someone told me since im black I cant grow my hair long!

Last night I told Someone I will be growing my hair out to bra strap length. They said no that is not possible. Black people cant grow hair long. I told them yes it is possible. Umm I think I am even more motivated to grow out my hair now. I got my notebook ready and starting to really get this hair growing thing down because I know it is possible thanks to this forum. So I am now really to take this journey full blast.

I have been working on my hair since I joined this forum in November 2010 and it is on the right path now. My hair was cut in May 2011 to get rid of some damage. It was so thin but now its looks alot fuller since I cut it.

Attachments

• IMG_5414.jpg
    IMG_5414.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_5412.jpg
    IMG_5412.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_5411.jpg
    IMG_5411.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:
if hes doubting you because you are black then IMO when your hair finally grows long he will think its only because you are an exception.

well, uhhh, ermm.Just practice heatlhy hair practices and you should be able to retain the length you desire. No comment on hubby's opinion.

Show him some heads of hair here on LHCF, maybe he'll become a believer in the hair-growing ability of your race :)

He has probably never seen a black woman with long hair.

Don't grow your hair because he says you cant. Grow it for you.

Mami,

You go 'head girl. Keep reading, keep applying, keep checking out ayurvedic hair care, keep us posted and I can't wait until the day he calls your name when you aren't looking at him and when you turn, girrllll, you fling your hair in a semi-circle to face him SLAPPIN' HIM IN DA FACE with it.

Yessss! :grin:

He needs to be slapped in the mouth first of all and get off the bus for sayin some ignorant mess like that:mad:

And don't worry...just go hardcore with babying your hair and keep your regimen as simple as possible. :yep: You'll get there before u know it..I'm rootin for ya!:yep:

People act like we can't have long hair, black women with long hair isn't out of the ordinary to me and that's long before this board. Bless you on your hair journey OP.

:look: I find it rude he would say that to you...he as your husband is supposed to support you in whatever you try to do, not tell you it's impossible. I hope you corrected him and told him that with proper care, anyone can grow long hair regardless of race. Good luck on your HHJ :yep:

Wow. Well, considering the women in his country support a billion dollar business selling their hair to us, I'm not surprised he thinks that.

Ohh, Lawd! This thread is problematic. Most men have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to hair, not even a foundation of knowledge. 'Cept for a few Indian guys I know who would put my hair obsession to shame.

He SHOULD be supportive, verbally and otherwise, but some people pick one and not the other. I don't think it's worth an argument and you don't seem upset.

Perhaps you can pick out Fotki pics/YouTube videos of BSL/WL+ women with your same natural hair texture.

He, like most people, is probanly just trusting his own senses and maybe hasn't seen many long-haired Black women.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

Didn't alot of us just attribute someone's hair growth to her "mixness" (AKA:her non black side), now it's a problem when someone of another race makes the same type of statement? :drunk: Make up your mind, peoples :lol:

Anyhoo, OP, I wouldn't worry about him. Hair that is being properly cared for will grow.

Last edited:
This thread will go many places here on the "present" LHCF. I know black men who have said this. Whatever no big deal... Grow your healthy head of hair and all of those products truly won't make it happen faster. Take care of your self from within and it will show on the outside.
HHG and keep us updated on your new journey! ;-) tell him to put up some prizes for goals reached and make it fun. LOL

Girl....jus give him the side eye then get your grow on. Wear ps so he can't see your growth :spinning: once you reach bsl or longer, let the games begin.

Trench coat and a bun :yep:

Strip off that coat :blush:

Do a bun drop :blush:

Use yo hair as a feather all over his body :blush:

Spank him with that hair :blush:

Spank him some mo :blush:

Color him all day and night and do the white girl swing with that hair! :blush:

Make him say yo name! In two languages :lachen:

Ummmmm....... :look: ok you get the picture.

Last edited:
That was rude and sorta hurtful, I don't care how many bald/weave wearing black women he may see, you are his wife and he should know better. My spouse has uttered his dislike for my curly hair on many occasions (he's bengali) by saying, "are you going out like that?", "are you going to straighten your hair?". Umm, you begged to marry me this way, get over it. Some men just weren't taught all their manners.

Most black men think black women can grow their hair any longer then their shoulders...so you shouldnt be surprised or offended..but u can show him better than you can tell him...

That was rude and sorta hurtful, I don't care how many bald/weave wearing black women he may see, you are his wife and he should know better. My spouse has uttered his dislike for my curly hair on many occasions (he's bengali) by saying, "are you going out like that?", "are you going to straighten your hair?". Umm, you begged to marry me this way, get over it. Some men just weren't taught all their manners.

Everything you said.
OP you have a support system here. You can do it!

Girl....jus give him the side eye then get your grow on. Wear ps so he can't see your growth :spinning: once you reach bsl or longer, let the games begin.

Absolutely THE best post eva!

I think I kind of like the rude comment from him. Because I have been slacking off a little and using heat more than I should. But now its time to ditch those heat tools. When I was younger I just thought some girls were just blessed to have long hair. My mom and my sister have long soft silky hair and I thought I just didn't get lucky. My mom didn't know how to take care of my texture. So she just start slapping in relaxers often. But this forum really open up my eyes. Thanks everyone for all your comments. I am usually to shy to start a thread but I really like this one.

I will keep everyone updated on my progress in the future.

This seems like fun, thanks!

Back