My hair doesnt MOVE.

tapioca_pudding

I was with my friend this weekend and I kept watching how her hair swings when she moves her head even just a little, when the wind blows, when she laughs.....

I tried that ish and it didnt work. :look: My hair doesnt move!!!! Well it does when the wind blows. But when I turn my head, it just stays right there in place. Even when I bend DOWN. Nuttin.

Ne suggestions? Im thinking a lighter leave in or something...?

Girl, you definitely need to try a lighter leave in.

My hair doesn't move when it's weighed down with too much grease. I use ORS and I love it! It moisturizes my hair for days on end. If I use too much, I simply stop using it for a few days, and my hair usually absorbs the oil, allowing me to get my swing back.

I would definitely say use less of those greasier products. What all do you put on your hair after you wash?

Bre - Nope its a bit longer, like mid-ear length now.

NuMe - Im thinking thats what the problem is - using too many products. I need to find something thats light yet moisturizing.. Do you use the ORS Lotion or Creme? I have some BB Lotion that I think may be lighter..

Honii - Lessee.... I cant remember but I think I used Cantu Shea Butter Leave In w/ some random oil to seal. Then the other nite I used Mango Butter, Mizani overnite treatment and Keracare oil to seal. :look: not really sure what the culprit is...

kels823 said:

NuMe - Im thinking thats what the problem is - using too many products. I need to find something thats light yet moisturizing.. Do you use the ORS Lotion or Creme? I have some BB Lotion that I think may be lighter..

Honii - Lessee.... I cant remember but I think I used Cantu Shea Butter Leave In w/ some random oil to seal. Then the other nite I used Mango Butter, Mizani overnite treatment and Keracare oil to seal. :look: not really sure what the culprit is...

When i had my hair at your length, I made sure to employ the "keep It Simple, stupid" method. Make sure you deep condition well so you won't have to get so product heavy. The If you are talking about Elasta QP's Mango Butter, its water-based, so it'll make your hair feel slicked down and mushy if you use too much. Of you are talking about pure organic mango butter, that stuff will cramp your style big time. For me, butter only work well on damp hair, so try wetting your hair the night before and letting it airdry when it comes to organic butters. BTW, Mizani Overnight Rose H2O, looks like a very heavy product. Maybe you could benefit from co-washing more often.

• Try using less
  • alternate the products
  • not everyone needs to moisturize ever single day
  • co-washing will help get rid of the weighted down feeling

kels823 said:

This is it @the bolded. You are using entirely TOOO much product. Try one moisturizer w/o the oil. But if you feel like you need the oil (which you don't) just try adding a few drops to the palm of your hair, and rubbing your hands together then adding it. Same goes with the moisturizer.

Less if def more when it comes down to wearing your hair straight.

Also, after washing and conditioning, go light on the leave-in too. There is really no need to slather your hair with leave-in conditioner if you plan to 1. wear your hair down and 2. moisturize dialy.

OAHQ - Just ordered some. :) I remember reading some other ladies saying that it helped w/ their 'swing'.. hopefully it will help mine. Thanks!!

BNG - Yep, talking about the Elasta QP mango butter. Im thinking that even tho my hair tends to be dry, I DONT need to moisturize every nite, especially if like you said, I do a good DC weekly and cowash at least once a week. I actually want to go cowash now cuz my hair feels heavy... but i workout tomorrow so ill just wait til then. I wont add nething else to my hair tonite tho. Thanks so much for the suggestions!! :D

kels823 said:

I use the lotion in the green bottle. I've tried other lotions, even the one by BB, but they were too water based for me. By water based, I mean that they didn't really penetrate the shaft/moisturize my hair, but simply stayed on the cuticle, leaving my hair damp and eventually drying it out.

L-o-L - W/ the Mizani overnite treatment, I read here that its not a moisturizer so you should still use your regular moisturizer as well. Which is why I used the mango butter... but like you said, its obviously too much. I think Im just heavy handed w/ my products PERIOD. Which actually makes me feel a bit better becuz I thought something was wrong w/ my hair. Tomorrow when I cowash it Ill try using a lighter hand w/ my current leavein and skip all the extra products. Thanks! :)

kels823 said:
OAHQ - Just ordered some. :) I remember reading some other ladies saying that it helped w/ their 'swing'.. hopefully it will help mine. Thanks!!

BNG - Yep, talking about the Elasta QP mango butter. Im thinking that even tho my hair tends to be dry, I DONT need to moisturize every nite, especially if like you said, I do a good DC weekly and cowash at least once a week. I actually want to go cowash now cuz my hair feels heavy... but i workout tomorrow so ill just wait til then. I wont add nething else to my hair tonite tho. Thanks so much for the suggestions!! :D

Or, if you do feel like your hair needs to be moisturized... daily co-washing. It helps.

Hair Master - Thanks! I may try it on wet hair becuz on my dry hair it doesnt do a whole lot. :)

Letitia - Will do. :)

NuMe - Thanks. Ill try the BB Lotion since I have it and I really dont want to buy a whole bunch more stuff.. But when I run out (or if it just doesnt work) then Ill look into the ORS Lotion. My mom loves that stuff.. :)

Since you co-wash and use alot of product in general, how often do you clarify?What shampoo do you use to clarify? Since you have so much products weighing your hair down, clarifying will help. I recommend that you clarify first so you can "start over" and then follow through with a deep condition and a little leave-in conditioner.

bravenewgirl87 said:

When i had my hair at your length, I made sure to employ the "keep It Simple, stupid" method. Make sure you deep condition well so you won't have to get so product heavy. The If you are talking about Elasta QP's Mango Butter, its water-based, so it'll make your hair feel slicked down and mushy if you use too much. Of you are talking about pure organic mango butter, that stuff will cramp your style big time. For me, butter only work well on damp hair, so try wetting your hair the night before and letting it airdry when it comes to organic butters. BTW, Mizani Overnight Rose H2O, looks like a very heavy product. Maybe you could benefit from co-washing more often.

• Try using less
  • alternate the products
  • not everyone needs to moisturize ever single day
  • co-washing will help get rid of the weighted down feeling

Big ditto on all of this. Have swingy hair is really important to me and I use all those techniques. Too many pre poos, too heavy deep conditioners or shampoos can all be too much. I try to keep my routine simple while meeting all of the needs of my hair.
I don't use grease, I moisturize every 2 days instead of every day and I moisturize only the ends. I use salerm 21 mixed in my palm with a drop of kemi oyl. I don't use super oil products unless it's a pretreatment.
Also clarify your hair once a month.

kels823 said:
Buttafly - Which serums do you use? I dunno if that would be enuf moisture for my hair. It tends to be dry.

I moisturize my hair with weekly deep conditioning treatments. After rinsing out the conditioner, I apply the serum to wet hair to seal in the moisture. When my hair feels dry during the week I put a little bit more serum on it and I'm good to go. I typically use Fantasia IC Olive Oil Serum, I love that stuff. I highly recommend it. Make sure you get the Fantasia one I bought the ORS one to compare and it sucked.

I used to purchase all of these moisturizing lotions back in the day and apply them daily but I found all they did was coat my hair, and weigh it down which eventually led to breakage.

Hey Buttafly, does that serum have any cones or mineral oil? I have the same problem with those moisturizing lotions. I love how they make my hair feel at first, but a few days later, my hair is dry and dull from all the build-up.

buttafly said:
I moisturize my hair with weekly deep conditioning treatments. After rinsing out the conditioner, I apply the serum to wet hair to seal in the moisture. When my hair feels dry during the week I put a little bit more serum on it and I'm good to go. I typically use Fantasia IC Olive Oil Serum, I love that stuff. I highly recommend it. Make sure you get the Fantasia one I bought the ORS one to compare and it sucked.

I used to purchase all of these moisturizing lotions back in the day and apply them daily but I found all they did was coat my hair, and weigh it down which eventually led to breakage.

Nixx - I clarify maybe once a month or so. I use Aloe Rid by Nexxuss. I may need to clarify a bit more often since Im cowashing during the week.

S&B - Yah I do think my prob w/ product overkill. Its a combo of worrying that my hair 'needs' something and being excited about using my products.. sad. :ohwell: But Im gonna cowash tomorrow and start over w/ less products to see what results I get. And I may not need to moisturize every single nite..

Buttafly - Thanks!! I have some Biosilk that I may try on wet hair. If it doesnt work on wet hair then I may purchase the one youre speaking of.. Trying to keep from buying so much stuff but the PJ in me be pheenin..... :)

Sar-I said:
Hey Buttafly, does that serum have any cones or mineral oil? I have the same problem with those moisturizing lotions. I love how they make my hair feel at first, but a few days later, my hair is dry and dull from all the build-up.

It's full of cones, no mineral oil though. I'm not too well versed on which cones are water soluble which ones aren't but they seem to wash out well during my regular weekly shampoo. I do an ACV rinse about once a month or whenever I remember.

LocksOfLuV said:
This is it @the bolded. You are using entirely TOOO much product. Try one moisturizer w/o the oil. But if you feel like you need the oil (which you don't) just try adding a few drops to the palm of your hair, and rubbing your hands together then adding it. Same goes with the moisturizer.

Less if def more when it comes down to wearing your hair straight.

Also, after washing and conditioning, go light on the leave-in too. There is really no need to slather your hair with leave-in conditioner if you plan to 1. wear your hair down and 2. moisturize dialy.
Great advice :)

Well I DCd last nite and used only Biosilk Therapy and Sunsilk 24/7 in the pink bottle on my wet hair then wrapped/air dryed over nite. This morning I mixed Chi with a little Keracare Oil before I flat ironed it. It still doesnt move when I turn my head, etc but its def. ALOT lighter. Im hoping that as my hair grows it will move more.... :ohwell:

OnAHairQuest said:
Get yourself some Lacio Lacio. Even my nappy hair swings with that stuff in it.

Ditto on that!!! I started applying Mizani Moisture Fuse Serum and Lacio Lacio for my roller sets...swing and shine.

Back