My boss says she envies AA women's hair

ssstephanie1715

:hiya2: This is my first post! Yea.:grin: Just had to share with everyone what my Caucasian boss said to me this morning.

So I've been going through this transition thing. Everyone is use to my super straight hair but lately I’ve been wearing tons of roller sets to cover all my wonderful new growth. This whole time she has been really positive and amazed at the different styles that I can I do with my hair. So over the weekend I get kinky twist because I just couldn’t stand the two textures anymore :nono: (BC in 97 days:woot:s) and she is just loving my hair. She tells me that she always envied AA women because of the versatility we have with our hair.:shocked: Image that. She just made my day. Has this happened to anyone else? Have you ever had a Caucasian women tell you that she envied u?

I'm happy to hear of your boss being supportive.

My co-workers call me 'the girl who wears a different hairstyle everyday' which is a vast overexaggeration lol but they wear their hair the same way day in day out so I guess my updo one day braidout the next is quite new to them

Yes, I have heard white people make that comment. Even on youtube one of the comments was from a guy who wished he was black because of our hair.

In my opinion, having "unique" hair has its privileges.

Well I know my mum told me she heard a stylist on tv that works with models say he loves doing black women's hair because of the versatility and that our hair stays in place and does what you want it to do. :yep:

Back in high school, when I was in the 10th grade (and was wearing a relaxer at the time) my Social Studies teacher and I had a conversation about AA women's hair after class one day. I don't know how we got on that subject. She was my favorite teacher and we used to talk about everything. She was so cool :grin:

Anyway, she mentioned how when she was in college, and she would pass by this particular girl's dorm room she became so amazed at how this girl could just "push" her hair into position without loads of hairspray and mouse like she had to.

It was then that I realized that our hair was pretty versatile - and all from a conversation with someone who was not AA :drunk:

In my opinion, having "unique" hair has its privileges.

It does. The funny thing about it is that we can have straight hair if we want but they could never have kinky hair. Curly yes but there is nothing on earth that could replicate our hair. We are truly unique. And it just makes me love my hair even more.

Last edited:
I've been told by a. Caucasian coworker with waistlength hair that she wishes she could do a puff like I had one night and how she loved my hair. It took me by surprise, and made me love my hair even more.

Yeah, they envy our thick hair...especially those with very thin, straight hair.

Hey, we all want what we don't have, don't we? :)

<diff. subj, but same compliment> I finally got a compliment or 2 on my natural hair. I went to the gym this weekend at 7AM and the moment I walked into the door a sistah and a white woman gave me a compliment.

Also, 1 day at work -- a sistah told me that she really liked my hair textured.

I am mentioning this because in the beginning I felt a lil akward going natural. I have been permed so long I forgot what it was like. Now after being 1 year post my bc...I am loving every day of my hair! Even the bad one...lol

Yes, our hair is very versatile, but I've learned that mines primarily likes to be left alone...lol

<diff. subj, but same compliment> I finally got a compliment or 2 on my natural hair. I went to the gym this weekend at 7AM and the moment I walked into the door a sistah and a white woman gave me a compliment.

Also, 1 day at work -- a sistah told me that she really liked my hair textured.

I am mentioning this because in the beginning I felt a lil akward going natural. I have been permed so long I forgot what it was like. Now after being 1 year post my bc...I am loving every day of my hair! Even the bad one...lol

Yes, our hair is very versatile, but I've learned that mines primarily likes to be left alone...lol

I'm wondering how she will react once I BC. I work in a very conservative office so there's no telling the response I'll get from my coworkers.

I think it's wonderful to see that opinions are becoming more supportive of our natural beauty among nonblacks AND among us black folks as well. This weekend I wore my hair in a big curly braidout and I felt :gorgeous: I think I got the courage from seeing SO MANY commercials lately in which every black woman was wearing natural hair. It was like 20 natural heads in one hour of TV watching. I was like HEY, I can wear my hair like that too, I don't need this dayum wig. lol

Seems every time I wear my hair natural I get lots of compliments from white folks. :yep: What really matters, though, is that I *feel* pretty when I wear it out...

I just got this on Saturday from some girls that I work with. I came into work with my hair in flat twists (was running late and didnt have time to take them down). Once I got there, I ran in the bathroom and took them down, then fluffed into a twistout. They were amazed that all that volume could come from simple twists.

Honestly, if I had type 1 or 2 hair, I'd be jealous too :cool:

I think I got the courage from seeing SO MANY commercials lately in which every black woman was wearing natural hair. It was like 20 natural heads in one hour of TV watching.

I've noticed that lately too. I feel like natural heads are coming from everywhere. It so encouraging during my transition.

I went to a primarily caucasian high school and I heard this several times. One day I would have relaxed hair, then the next a twistout fro then the next kinky twists. They were amazed! Especially when my hair "grew" long so quick because I got braids. :lachen:

I think it's wonderful to see that opinions are becoming more supportive of our natural beauty among nonblacks AND among us black folks as well. This weekend I wore my hair in a big curly braidout and I felt :gorgeous: I think I got the courage from seeing SO MANY commercials lately in which every black woman was wearing natural hair. It was like 20 natural heads in one hour of TV watching. I was like HEY, I can wear my hair like that too, I don't need this dayum wig. lol

Seems every time I wear my hair natural I get lots of compliments from white folks. :yep: What really matters, though, is that I *feel* pretty when I wear it out...

I noticed that too, also in a lot of print ads. I know Aveeno in particular uses a lot of black models with natural hair.

my BFF says the same thing! She has stick straight thin low density hair. It doesnt curl, stay in a ponytail, really it doesnt do anything...She is always marveling at my hair when I do braids or twist outs.

I wear wigs, half wigs, headwraps, etc. and my white SIL is always saying that she envies my ability to style my hair in so many different ways. I've known her for a long time so I know she is sincere plus her hair is kinda thin and doesn't hold a curl well. The most she can do is change the color.

Yeah, one of my old bffs would tell me "You NEVER wear your hair the same way TWICE!!!! I wish I could do that!" :lol: It was unexpected and the way she said it was funny. I thought it was pretty cool.

Definitely, all the time. At my firm my white female co-workers would regularly get up from their desks and walk up to me to touch my straw set, two-strand-twists, Gi-normous Afro, braid-out etc. (I don't mind people touching my hair....free massage!:giggle:) in sheer amazement lol.....they began to call me the chameleon.

When I walked into work with my straw set one of my white co-workers were like.....could my hair do that too! lol I was errr possibly?:look: lol they were really sweet I get positive feedback from all colors of people on my hair though. I was once taking two asian clients out to see a property and my hair was in a braid-out pinned to one side and the first thing my clients said was OMG! I love your hair! lol I was like thanks then as we walked men were tryna bag me as we walked along....I then turned to my clients and was like "there are alot of eligible backelors in the area ;) " lol always be closing!:grin:

Yeah. A little old yt lady told me she loved my thickness in the conditioner aisle, then she asked me to help her pick some conditioner. I was more than happy shoot I was reading ingredients anyway.

Then at Walmart a lady told me she wished she could do a twist out. She said my hair was so pretty and full. I told her she may be able to do it with those spiral rods.

I've heard it from my white coworkers, friends and neighbors, I've heard it from my Spanish friends. What's so funny is I am never surprised when I hear it coz I think our hair is the shizzle. I love the versatility way more than words can say.

No, nothing like that has ever happened to me. With the way Black women are always styling their hair, it's not necessarily a good thing to be versatile. I can wear my hair bone straight but risk getting tons of split ends or heat damage afterwards.

I have a co-worker who wears her 1 inch relaxed hair plastered to her scalp and she often wears different weaves and wigs. Now she's wearing an Afro weave. I find that versatile, but nothing to be envious about.

No, nothing like that has ever happened to me. With the way Black women are always styling their hair, it's not necessarily a good thing to be versatile. I can wear my hair bone straight but risk getting tons of split ends or heat damage afterwards.

I have a co-worker who wears her 1 inch relaxed hair plastered to her scalp and she often wears different weaves and wigs. Now she's wearing an Afro weave. I find that versatile, but nothing to be envious about.

Versatility doesn't have to involve being that extreme or clueless about good haircare. BlackMasterPiece, Mwedzi are two people who come to mind who explore all the various things their hair can do, and I don't see damage coming into the picture. Versatility can be a great thing to explore once you educate yourself enough to know how to do it within safe limits.

You can wear your hair bone-straight (there are a few threads with such results) and not have heat damage.

I've had this happen, too. One time I had my hair in a twistout and this white guy was like, "Aw man, howd' you do your hair like that?" I told him what I did and then he said, "Man I wish I had yall hair. I'm gonna perm my hair so I can I do that" :ohwell::look::perplexed:spinning::lachen:

Back