• Have not used MTG/Other

Votes: 362 56.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
texasqt said:
Thanks Chocokitty!
Your hair is BEAUTIFUL TOO!!!
Time to make an order cause I'm sold!

I agree with chocokitty. that bottle is huge. Unless you are heavyhanded (and you dont want to be with this stuff, it smells)
It looks like it should last a year! lol

angellazette said:
I'm still using MTG and will continue to use what I have left. I have a whole bottle of Flowers of Sulphur so I'm going to make my own next.

I think I am going to make my own to use also.

I've been using it for about a month now and Love love love the results!! My hair is thickening up like WHOA!!! Man, I hope they dont change the "shiz-nit" thats in it...that will jack up my entire regimen!!! Eventhough i dont really have one yet :):D..but MTG is my main ingredient as of now.

Oh boy...betta get on the band wagon and STOCK UP QUICKLY!!

I'm just learning about MTG myself, and have decided not to try it simply because hair growth isn't my main goal. I don't judge anyone who uses it because I'm experimenting (product wise, vitamin wise, regimen wise) just like anyone else, to find what works for me.

Letitia said:
I agree with chocokitty. that bottle is huge. Unless you are heavyhanded (and you dont want to be with this stuff, it smells)
It looks like it should last a year! lol

lol Letitia:lol: i m heavy handed haha that 32oz bottle only last me 2months i use it daily:grin:

I like MTG, aside from the smell and the oiliness that can result from using too much, I think it's a good product. Yeah it was made for horses...but I think back to that Vicodin they prescribed for my wisdom teeth that had me more backed up than 66 on a Wednesday evening. I got no warning of the side effects, just the feeling that I was having permanent a*** 24 hours day. The doctor didn't even tell me this was going to happen, I had to find out from buddies that used it recreationally.

With that said, I say this. Things are approved everyday that can maim, disfigure, kill, or terminally wound people everyday. I'll take my chances, and hope the sulfur in here doesn't kill me. Can't be any worse than that heart medication that was making people's stomachs explode.

EKOMBA- your siggy's off the hook sis, its v.classy!

BTW lol i LOVE my MTG. OHHH HEAR THIS... when i day a terrible Terrible rash on my legs/arms (i think it came from being in the sun- not too sure) i tryied MTG on it and sure enougth it cleard up!

naturaline said:
EKOMBA- your siggy's off the hook sis, its v.classy!
BTW lol i LOVE my MTG. OHHH HEAR THIS... when i day a terrible Terrible rash on my legs/arms (i think it came from being in the sun- not too sure) i tryied MTG on it and sure enougth it cleard up!

awww thank you Naturaline :blush: ! lol i dont know why i have that inspired look :lachen: i took it this summer i was in the car and my girlfriend in the back told me to turn half way; she was like dont look at me i know what i m doing just turn my way haha and she snapped the pix lol

Who woulda known that living in Kentucky would come in handy! ;) I'm going to the horse supply store & purchasing some tomorrow!!! :cool:

wantlonghealthyhair said:
Been using M-T-G a little over 6months.

I don't have a "scent" problem because mines has EO's added. I
get compliments on my hair scent...lol :D

MTG is a keeper for me, My hair does grow but this give's me extra growth! Maybe it is just the sulphur....BUT IT WORKS!!! No doubt ;)
Okay, I want to try the MTG. What is EO's that I need to add to it? I don't want my man locking me out of the bedroom. How long before I start to see results? My extreme problem is patience. I don't think that I stick with anything long enough to see results.

Michellehall said:
Okay, I want to try the MTG. What is EO's that I need to add to it? I don't want my man locking me out of the bedroom. How long before I start to see results? My extreme problem is patience. I don't think that I stick with anything long enough to see results.

Michelle just a word of advice: I've been MTGing since May of this year and my biggest problem was also patience. I was constantly measuring and touching to see if it got longer or thickened up my edges like most people have had happen to them while on this stuff. You will never be satisfied if you don't have patience! I learned that the hard way. This stuff made my hair a lot thicker and stronger than it caused it to grow faster....but i love it because my hair was terribly brittle and weak. My edges are fully grown in too :).

I use about half a 4 oz bottle of peppermint oil, 1/4c. of african royale hair sprits for braids (braids is my transitioning style so adding this is optional) 2 heaping tablespoons of MSM powder and a squirt or two Jamacian Mango & Lime Oil (@ your local Black Hair Care Store) with mostly MTG in a spritz bottle. Shake and shake and shake and its ready and the bacon grease smell is almost instantaniously gone. as the days go by and the products coagulate the bacon odor gradually goes away. :) hope this helps you and everyone else. Most importantly, try to be patient! That way, you will have the results you want before you know it. ;)

Got mine on Friday! :D I also went to Sally's & bought a color applicator bottle so I wouldn't overdue it too much. Haven't decided how oftem I'm gonna use it yet... :ohwell: Can't wait to see results though. I WANT THICK HAIR!!! :yep:

By the way, I'd like to add that (most likely) because of this "controversy" and people e-mailing and calling the company, the price has risen.. AGAIN. I know for certain that when I first ordered directly from Shapley's, the price was $16.95 plus shipping. I visited the site yesterday and it is now $19.95. According to some other threads I've read, the price used to be cheaper than the $16.95 I paid.

I found another site where I believe I paid $14.95 plus shipping but I don't see how they'll be able to offer that price for long if the company itself has raised theirs.. maybe not for distributors but I don't know.

Moral of the story.. if you want to use it, use it but is it really necessary to contact the company and tell them about how much your human hair has grown as a result of using their product? Or if you want to know all of the ingredients in the product.. why mention that you want to use it on your own hair? If you're that worried about it, don't use it.

Another concern of mine is that they'll change the formula or make a new one. I like my MTG just the way it is. I don't want it to get all humanized like the Mane 'n' Tail products you see in the stores now.

This wasn't meant as a mean-spirited rant but I don't want to be paying sky-high prices for something that I know (and many other women know) works. And no, $19.95 a pop isn't sky-high but who knows what they'll raise the prices to if sales keep increasing. Personally, I made sure to stock up.

So please, stop contacting the company!

Last edited:
keluric said:
By the way, I'd like to add that (most likely) because of this "controversy" and people e-mailing and calling the company, the price has risen.. AGAIN. I know for certain that when I first ordered directly from Shapley's, the price was $16.95 plus shipping. I visited the site yesterday and it is now $19.95. According to some other threads I've read, the price used to be cheaper than the $16.95 I paid.

I found another site where I believe I paid $14.95 plus shipping but I don't see how they'll be able to offer that price for long if the company itself has raised theirs.. maybe not for distributors but I don't know.

Moral of the story.. if you want to use it, use it but is it really necessary to contact the company and tell them about how much your human hair has grown as a result of using their product? Or if you want to know all of the ingredients in the product.. why mention that you want to use it on your own hair? If you're that worried about it, don't use it.

Another concern of mine is that they'll change the formula or make a new one. I like my MTG just the way it is. I don't want it to get all humanized like the Mane 'n' Tail products you see in the stores now.

This wasn't meant as a mean-spirited rant but I don't want to be paying sky-high prices for something that I know (and many other women know) works. And no, $19.95 a pop isn't sky-high but who knows what they'll raise the prices to if sales keep increasing. Personally, I made sure to stock up.

So please, stop contacting the company! (HAHAHHAHAHHAH kELURIC I had to laugh at the bolded part girl u too funny HHAHAHHAHAHHAHAH)

wow get out Keluric 19.99!!!!!!:eek: i m glad i stocked back then even though i only have 2 bottles left i m try to squeeze it till summer lol then i m good :cool: :D i paid 11 something from that other horse site last year not shapleys forgot their name

Last edited:
keluric said:

So please, stop contacting the company!

:lol: ITA, keluric! I paid $15 for mine at a local tack shop. Don't wanna pay any more than that! So, doubters, STEP OFF!!! :hammer:

I made some homemade MTG. Only used it about 3 times (I have a problem with being consistent), and I have had NO dandruff since then. I have always had a lot of dandruff, and I am truely amazed. I haven't even used it in about 3 weeks. I've washed my hair several times and got a relaxer since then and STILL no dandruff. :)

pureenergy77 said:
I made some homemade MTG. Only used it about 3 times (I have a problem with being consistent), and I have had NO dandruff since then. I have always had a lot of dandruff, and I am truely amazed. I haven't even used it in about 3 weeks. I've washed my hair several times and got a relaxer since then and STILL no dandruff. :)

Oh yes, sulfur is great for that. I used to have dry scalp but since using MTG, no flakes in sight!

wantlonghealthyhair said:
Been using M-T-G a little over 6months.

I don't have a "scent" problem because mines has EO's added. I
get compliments on my hair scent...lol :D

MTG is a keeper for me, My hair does grow but this give's me extra growth! Maybe it is just the sulphur....BUT IT WORKS!!! No doubt ;)

What EO's are you using?

I have not used MTG, but I really do not see what the big deal is about it. Everyone can make their own informed choices. whatever makes you happy is what you should do.

hmmmmmmmmm I don't see the problem with it!!(never used it) just because it's used for (horses correct??) doesn't mean that yall are STOOPING low or anything....I'm sure they use alot of things for other purposes(like some people using MONISTAT!!) butttttttt I basically think she's blowing it out of proportion!!

I got my MTG a few days ago. I just smelled it a few minutes ago, since everyone complains of the smell...to me it smells like bacon, on the real, it smells like bacon. It doesn't "stink", it just smells weird....to me boo boo stinks, this stuff doesn't smell like mess, it just smells weird like bacon. I think I will probably mix in some essential oils to cut the bacon smell, but I think it is tolerable.....but that's my opinion

Catina72 said:
I'm new on board and have noticed alot of ladies praising the MTG. Had no clue what the product was until I went to the Shapley's website today. I was a little shocked:eek: when I saw that the product was a horse product. I was thinking of getting the trial size to check it out. Upon reading some of your responses I don't know about dealing with the smell:confused: !! My husband practically SLEEPS in my hair, loves the way it smells. Honestly, smell is something that can make me want to try a hair product too. I guess I've been tramatized for all the years growing up smelling burnt grease and fried hair getting mine hot combed:ohwell: .

I've used MTG and i see a lot of progress. Not a lot of dandruff anymore either. My hair is thicker. I mainly aiming for healthiness but growth as well. I mixed my MTG with olive oil. I cant remember the name brand of the olive oil but it cuts the smell. I ordered some peppermint oil. So ima try that next to get that sweet smelling scent of peppermint. Other than that i've had no problems. Oh after i have my baby girl ima soon post some pics up. God bless

I haven't used it or anything else of that nature yet. I'm gonna order some Lenzi's Request and then get some OMTG after that. I don't think it's a big deal at all. If it works for you, then use it. If not, oh well, move on. To get so riled up over something as trivial as this is ridiculous. If you wanna get mad about something, turn it on CNN when they're discussing this unecessary war.

I started using the last of the product I had sitting around here in January. I hate hate hate the smell of this stuff! :nono: lol Now, with that being said, I poured off all the original oil on the MTG and added EVOO. I put in EO's and it's okay on the nose now. (even with all that a small faint scent of the MTG was still present but not overpowering.) I have had some crazy growth since Jan. (more than I would normally have without this product) I stopped taking all the vitamins just to see what MTG could do. It passed the test. I will try the orderless version next.

I agree with Letitia, I have been using mtg for little less than a month now two days a week and i have about 1 inch of new growth and I am only 7-8 weeks post relaxer. I mix mine with black castor oil which did cut the smell some and then I added some doo grow leave in treatment which improved the odor quite a bit. I believe we should do whatever makes us happy if using mtg makes u happy then do it if it doesn't then don't. by the way here is a little article about the hair relaxers we all like to use. So this proves that whatever we are using on our scalp has a potential of being dangerous. Happy reading

Consider that hair relaxers commonly used on Black hair contain lye or similar chemicals that break down the hair shaft. Left on beyond the recommended time, these chemicals would eat right through the hair and cause it to fall out in clumps. This is why these same products are used in products like Drano® to clean clogged drains which often are clogged by hair. No-lye relaxers are very popular today, mainly because it leads people to believe that the product is not caustic. This is far from the truth. The combination of calcium hydroxide and guanidine carbonate are combined to form guanidine hydroxide, which could just as easily clean a sink. Repeated use of such products can cause some degree of hair loss, and if scarring occurs while using these chemicals, the hair loss can be permanent in that area of the scalp. One must ask themselves is it wise to place such caustic chemicals in the hair on a regular basis for the sake of desired appearance? The question must be answered by each individual, however the facts should be known.
There is little that can be done to alleviate this syndrome without changing the typical hairstyles of African Americans. There is a catch-22 concerning relaxing Black hair, since combing natural Black hair causes so much stress and breakage of hair, while chemicals cause so much harm to the hair and scalp as well. There are a few hair-relaxing products on the market that use chemicals and are somewhat less harsh than sodium hydroxide (lye) or its popular equivalent in “no-lye” relaxers: calcium hydroxide (quicklime) mixed with guanidine carbonate

I LOVE MTG!!! I added some drops of rosemary and no bacon smell problem, then i just spray some surge 14 over it. I just smell like Vicks for a few minutes but its cool with me. I dont have dripping problems 'cause i use a spray bottle to mist what i need on my scalp about 5-6 days a week.

I got 2" of growth since January 1st, I took out my braids last night.
MTG is a keeper for me!

I don't care
why should horses be the only ones allowed to long hair down their back?
If I am willing to put stuff in my hair that was meant to clear up a beastie yeastie, then I certainly have no problem using products meant for a horse?

Let's face it horses have long hair, I would love to have horse hair:lachen:

Back