MHM Hangout

Are you all incorporating protein into the MHM? If yes, what protein are you using and what step is it. How often are you using protein or are you all using the cherry lola as your only protein while using the MHM? Thank you.
So far, I've been doing the CLCT every two weeks as my protein.

Are you all incorporating protein into the MHM? If yes, what protein are you using and what step is it. How often are you using protein or are you all using the cherry lola as your only protein while using the MHM? Thank you.

I use Botanicals Millcreek Jojoba conditioner or Aphogee 2min conditioner once a month for my protein.

Found a new clay recipe that is yum. Currently sitting in it now.

Bentonite Clay
Honey Powder
Slippery Elm
Aloe Vera Juice.

You can make a small amount and make it watery enough to go in a spray bottle or make it as pasty as you want it. I think its the slippery elm that makes the clay go on smoother and silky like.
Honey powder? Where do you get that? Are you using the slippery elm powder or boiling the herb? I was definitely thinking about how great it would be if I could just put some slippery elm powder in my jar of clay and then when I add water, it's already slippery. I would use ACV instead of AVJ though because my hair doesn't like the Aloe Vera, unfortunately.

One other thing I have been doing is using powdered milk. That way I can just add it to the clay jar as well. Of course, it doesn't have the fat of regular milk, but it's more moisturizing than plain water.

So I tried the modified method this morning and my hair seemed to respond well. My hair did feel alittle dryer though. I think the next time I do the modified method, I will add more shea butter (not approved) to my clay mixture. I'm still experiencing alittle breakage. I think I'm being too rough on my hair. I will admit, I do rush in the morning when I do my hair. I think that's causing my breakage and more SSK's.

We'll see...I'm still keeping a close eye on it. It's hard to tell if my hair is doing well when it is curly. I dont want what happened to me last time to happen to me again. When I was relaxed I went on a 6mth no heat challenge and mainly wore braidouts. When I finally straighten my hair, my whole middle section was chewed up due to me using rubber bands and not having enough protein. I feel like I'm doing well but I really have no way to gage it.

Question: How do you ladies tell if your hair is on the right health track when it is curly?
Unfortunately,I don't have an answer to your question, but wanted to chime in about handling the hair and breakage. I was feeling like I was getting more breakage (i.e. a little bit versus none) and this time around I decided to be extra gentle and go very slowly and it seemed to help. I have to find a balance because it takes me an hour to detangle in the clay step as is, maybe because I do it in small sessions and my hair is high density.

Found a new clay recipe that is yum. Currently sitting in it now.

Bentonite Clay
Honey Powder
Slippery Elm
Aloe Vera Juice.

You can make a small amount and make it watery enough to go in a spray bottle or make it as pasty as you want it. I think its the slippery elm that makes the clay go on smoother and silky like.

Ooo never heard of honey powder...sounds like you get the goodness of honey without the mess

Yep I do
I use the aubrey organics GPB as my DC conditioner every other week.
I also use henna with greek yogurt about once every six weeks so while I did the cherry lola twice I doubt that is something I will continue.

Honey powder? Where do you get that? Are you using the slippery elm powder or boiling the herb? I was definitely thinking about how great it would be if I could just put some slippery elm powder in my jar of clay and then when I add water, it's already slippery. I would use ACV instead of AVJ though because my hair doesn't like the Aloe Vera, unfortunately.

One other thing I have been doing is using powdered milk. That way I can just add it to the clay jar as well. Of course, it doesn't have the fat of regular milk, but it's more moisturizing than plain water.

I ordered it off Amazon as well as the powder form of the Slippery Elm. It even mixed better than normal minus the elm. @Holla4mom

So I tried the modified method this morning and my hair seemed to respond well. My hair did feel alittle dryer though.

Initially when I did the modified method my hair also felt a little drier but I think that was because it was less coated (and I'd possibly dried it out with my prolonged clay timings). After 3+weeks of modified every 2/3/4 days, my hair feels soft (loving my oils for this)

I think the next time I do the modified method, I will add more shea butter (not approved) to my clay mixture. I'm still experiencing alittle breakage. I think I'm being too rough on my hair. I will admit, I do rush in the morning when I do my hair. I think that's causing my breakage and more SSK's.

It takes me about 1hr or so to detangle- med/low density. I feel this is long but I don't mind (I can't seem to cut the time down anyway). I need to take time and be extra gentle with my crown and front area as they are very fine and recovering. These strands are easy to find in my hands if I am not thorough and gentle.

We'll see...I'm still keeping a close eye on it. It's hard to tell if my hair is doing well when it is curly. I dont want what happened to me last time to happen to me again. When I was relaxed I went on a 6mth no heat challenge and mainly wore braidouts. When I finally straighten my hair, my whole middle section was chewed up due to me using rubber bands and not having enough protein. I feel like I'm doing well but I really have no way to gage it.

I am keeping an eye on my crown and hair line for this very reason. My hair here looks so wispy but then I have patches that are shorter than the rest due to the bald spots I had.

Question: How do you ladies tell if your hair is on the right health track when it is curly?

I haven't properly stretched my hair in so long I have no idea how it really looks. During my time with MHM, I've dusted coil by coil. I held each clump, stretched it taut and used wherever it was thinning/ tapering out as a measure of where to cut.

So far I only plan to wear unstretched so any wonkyness doesn't really show.

As for the overall health I just try to go by how it looks and feels- particularly when washing. Sometimes things feel instinctive.

Just before I transitioned, I really ran my hair into the ground and so far, I know that from how my hair is responding, things are a step in the right direction.

had to take a break from the modified method. I need conditioner. I was getting breakage like crazy. Rant: Im tired of mixing clay and treatments and I'm never making fsg again. Im over it.

I wish it was easier like you ladies. I hope to back on the method by the beg of may

I washed my hair yesterday. I strayed from DubaiDee's modification just a little lol. I rinsed and then conditioned/ DCd with KCCC and FIN Hemp and Meadowfoam. I rinsed and noticed that my hair felt coated. I don't know if it felt good/bad or if I am just used to how naked hair feels, but... yeah. I detangled with my clay (rhassoul/ s.bentonite, water, ACV, milk). Applied oil, rinsed and used diluted KCCC to finish. I slept with my hair uncovered- I am loving this (only when 'freshly washed wet' as I literally have to do nothing to my hair in the morning:supergrin:). I even forgot to mist it a little this morning.

Oh, and I dusted again- my last thorough one was in January I think

Attachments

• 2015-04-11_20.21.59.jpg
    2015-04-11_20.21.59.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 46
So I tried the modified method this morning and my hair seemed to respond well. My hair did feel alittle dryer though. I think the next time I do the modified method, I will add more shea butter (not approved) to my clay mixture. I'm still experiencing alittle breakage. I think I'm being too rough on my hair. I will admit, I do rush in the morning when I do my hair. I think that's causing my breakage and more SSK's.

I am not sure I can answer your question but I can share what worked for me.

First is no shea I know it works for a lot of people but for me it lays on my hair and makes it brittle after I rinse it out. I find I get better results with hemp seed oil, jojoba, EVOO, JBCO with my clay mixtures.

SSK knots for me are a sign then my ends are not well moisturized or I need a trim. The moisture on my ends become more apparent when my hair is fizzy on the ends. It seems silly but sometimes when I do my hair and I am in a rush I don't cover my ends well. To correct this I split my hair into like 4 or 6 sections and when I DC I add a healthy dose of conditioner to my palm then I cup my hands putting the ends of my hair in the conditioner while in my palm the I kind of smush it into my head, I do this for all the sections then after that I add more DC and work it into each section from root to tip for the rest of my head. For some reason it feels like it is easier to detangle.

As for how do I tell my hair is on the right track - good question I think a few things and what is cool is that some have changed as result of this regimine but onto the list:

1. Elastic when my hair is to mushy or to hard I know I have an issue
2. Breakage, long shed hairs are normal but small pieces that break mean the elasticity is not balanced
3. Knots - I honestly don't have them anymore I get a few tangles here and there.. but ironically not a lot of knots
4. Shine ok so not shine like when you use spay shine or silicone but my hair has this kind of natural sheen when it is dull I have done something wrong.
5. Curl pattern is somewhat uniform and springy from base to root when I pull it it should spring back

Oh and the odd duck is shrinkage so I know everyone hates it but the truth is my curls should not be elongated for me it means the curl pattern is not uniform which means some areas have more moisture than others so I find my hair shrinks to about 25% of the actual length.

HTH

Curly or straight my hair feels the same when healthy. Tangle free ends soft manageable hair that is cool to the touch when dry; smooth strands; hair that has bounce and give;shine or sheen.

20150411_150206-1_zpspo91rb8f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20150411_150206-1_zpspo91rb8f.jpg
so this is today's result after air drying while running around the park and errands. The last 3 or 4 times i've used clay i've mixed it with ACV instead of AVJ. Then I also switched my final rinse from heavily diluted ACV to heavily diluted AVJ. It's made a difference in how smooth my hair feels and looks.

Thanks ladies for all your suggestions!!! My plan of action is to complete the full reggie Monday night, then on Tuesday install some curlformers and once they dry I'm gonna go curl by curl and do a dusting.

If that doesnt work, then I think I know what the issue may be. The only thing that I did different when I 1st noticed the breakage was I did my monthly protein treatment. I did leave it on longer than usual. So that may be it. It's just that I have a hard time believing that b/c my hair doesnt feel like it has protein overload.

OT: I'm having an issue with changing my avatar pic from my phone. Is anyone else having that issue?

I washed my hair yesterday. I strayed from DubaiDee's modification just a little lol. I rinsed and then conditioned/ DCd with KCCC and FIN Hemp and Meadowfoam. I rinsed and noticed that my hair felt coated. I don't know if it felt good/bad or if I am just used to how naked hair feels, but... yeah. I detangled with my clay (rhassoul/ s.bentonite, water, ACV, milk). Applied oil, rinsed and used diluted KCCC to finish. I slept with my hair uncovered- I am loving this (only when 'freshly washed wet' as I literally have to do nothing to my hair in the morning:supergrin:). I even forgot to mist it a little this morning.

Oh, and I dusted again- my last thorough one was in January I think
It turned out pretty!

I'm going to start experimenting with other natural cleansers. I never really felt comfortable using bs (fine strands), but I don't like the ACV either. I mean, I like what it does, I just don't like the idea...

I need to research and find out what else is out there. I'm interested in soap nuts, cleansing with honey (I read that was a thing?), etc. If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.

I'm going to start experimenting with other natural cleansers. I never really felt comfortable using bs (fine strands), but I don't like the ACV either. I mean, I like what it does, I just don't like the idea...

I need to research and find out what else is out there. I'm interested in soap nuts, cleansing with honey (I read that was a thing?), etc. If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.

I had been thinking about using other cleansers besides the ACV. I get what your saying about ACV and BS cleanse. I can't put it to words but yeah... I was considering using soap bars. Utuber aucurls naturelle using black soap once a month. I think the soap brand she uses is: Dudu-osun.

I had been thinking about using other cleansers besides the ACV. I get what your saying about ACV and BS cleanse. I can't put it to words but yeah... I was considering using soap bars. Utuber aucurls naturelle using black soap once a month. I think the soap brand she uses is: Dudu-osun.

Some people use castille soap to act like the Baking soda (i.e. cleaning the hair and opening up the cuticles for lo po heads). FaithVa, you've used it right?

Some people use castille soap to act like the Baking soda (i.e. cleaning the hair and opening up the cuticles for lo po heads). FaithVa, you've used it right?
Yes, when was doing the full method, I used castile soap with conditioner for step 1. I probably used this more often than baking soda.
Castille Soap mixed with conditioner has a ph of 7 or 8 depending on the ratios. I used 2 oz of conditioner and 2 to 3 tsp of castille. ,

I'm trying something new tonight. I put in 2 strand twists on Wednesday and they held up really well. Usually my twist dry out and get hard. I think it was probably because of the conditioner. But my twist stayed soft and moisturized through today even though I was out in the sun for most of the weekend.

Tonight I oiled my hair with evoo and then put my twist on perm rods. I did my water rinse with the perm rods in. I still have the perm rods in and am letting my hair air dry. If this works, I'm going to leave the twist in until Wednesday if I can and re-evaluate. If they last through Wednesday. If I could put in 2 strand twists every 10 days that would be great. I will have to wait and see though.

I'm going to a wedding on Saturday, so I will probably do some type of rollerset at least in the front.

Sleeping with my conditioner tonight. My underbrush felt extra thirsty and desperate for hydration. The entire perimeter of my head is just super dry...sometimes I feel as though it will never get even 1/2 way to MH; but i'll keep on plugging away and hope that it continues to improve however minimally in relation to the rest of my hair. Is anyone else dealing with a stubborn area or areas? What y'all doing about it? Have you seen improvement?

Sleeping with my conditioner tonight. My underbrush felt extra thirsty and desperate for hydration. The entire perimeter of my head is just super dry...sometimes I feel as though it will never get even 1/2 way to MH; but i'll keep on plugging away and hope that it continues to improve however minimally in relation to the rest of my hair. Is anyone else dealing with a stubborn area or areas? What y'all doing about it? Have you seen improvement?

My front area is stubborn, especially at the rootso_Oo_O(haven't worked out how to delete these things lol). I don't mind though because my hair is easier to manage.

I can tell the hair is hydrating, and things were improving nicely with regular washes- water/ clay/ oil/ gel. I think I will incorporate the ocassional use of conditioner though, especially in some delicate areas.

Here is today's wash n go. A little frizzier than usual cause i used a COMB for the 1st time in like 2 months! i expect to regain my definition in another wash or so.
20150413_080655-1_zpsqtuuidzg.jpg
see what I mean about the underbrush??

Back