MHM Hangout

You look like a 4a like me! Now what are you doing for your nails?They look strong and healthy!
I've had long nails since I was born! :lol: I have no idea why. My mom has them too. They grow too fast to keep up with and if I tried to bite them, I'd probably break a tooth. I truly feel as though they steal all the extra keratin or whatever from my hair, cuz my hair has always been very fine. Dense-ish, but fine... wimpy and sad. :(

Today was a really good wash day. I didn't feel like doing the full method, so I hopped in the shower did a quick ACV and left conditioner in for about 5min and then rinsed. Surprisingly my hair felt amazing. I'm so sick of shrinkage with these wngs, so I decided to do a twistout and I pinned my ends to stretch it more.

Hopefully it turns out ok. The only product i used was a leavein. I also used my trekk brush. I had sooo much shed hair.

Attached is my hair about 40% dry, no product.
Lovely!

I'm happy with my clay step. Now I am trying to add a conditioner step, using a very diluted, CLCT "lite" conditioner.

I took a little banana baby food, avocado oil, tiny squirt of braggs, few drops of ACV and tiny sprinkle fo Baking soda and added water to make it a really diluted solution and used a little bit last night overnight. It was really to help me when I get tempted to do my clay step back to back days. I wanted to see if my hair would like this better in between, rather than just water rinses especially as it seems to really love the CLCT. I don't think I'll keep this up though- not with the protein, acv, and baking soda added anyway, but we'll see.

Now if only I could simplify my gel step. I love flaxseed/okra gel results. I don't even mind making it once a month or something, if it was shelf stable after that.

It's inconvenient to have to freeze and then get ice cubes out of the freezer and melt and then take it to the bathroom. I do think I am going to defrost a week's worth (or 5 days worth) at a time, add vit E and EOs and see how that works.

But still, I wish there was something more affordable than KCCC that was shelf-stable and works for me. My 3c normal porosity daughter is so lucky because FOTE Aloe Vera gel works great for her but hair hates Aloe and needs more hold than that.

For those using the KCCC diluted (Abys?) how long does one jar last you? Is there a shelf stable FSG on the market?

@Holla4mom For me, one KCCC 16oz tub lasts about 3-4 weeks. Thats with me wearing my hair out and washing regulary- every 2/3/4 days. I heavily dilute and it stretches quite far compared to my earlier use.

When I first started, the small tub of KCCC (8oz) used to last me just 4 washes! But I wasn't diluting it then. My hair and pocket prefer it this way.

For ready made Flax gel, I think I read DubaiDee state an Etsy vendor on her blog.

Tonight's wash. After water rinsing, I used a mix of rhassoul, c.bentonite, water and ACV (didn't have any milk). Then applied my (now) usual oils, and diluted KCCC.

I used a larger water to gel ratio this time (quarter of the tub of water to like 2 spoons of gel- I didn't measure). As I was talking about it earlier, I wanted to test the result. Plus, I could stand to make my money stretch even further with this gel:yep:2015-04-16_00.28.56.jpg

Tonight's wash. After water rinsing, I used a mix of rhassoul, c.bentonite, water and ACV (didn't have any milk). Then applied my (now) usual oils, and diluted KCCC.

I used a larger water to gel ratio this time (quarter of the tub of water to like 2 spoons of gel- I didn't measure). As I was talking about it earlier, I wanted to test the result. Plus, I could stand to make my money stretch even further with this gel:yep:View attachment 325379

What leavin do you use and what oil are you applying before the KCCC? Also, do you spray your diluted gel on? My last cycle was Tuesday and I used grape seed oil over KKNT and then my Camille Rose Almond Jai Butter and my hair is still soft. I'm gonna de-wig myself this weekend and I'm wondering if I should use oil before the gel.

What leavin do you use and what oil are you applying before the KCCC? Also, do you spray your diluted gel on? My last cycle was Tuesday and I used grape seed oil over KKNT and then my Camille Rose Almond Jai Butter and my hair is still soft. I'm gonna de-wig myself this weekend and I'm wondering if I should use oil before the gel.

For the past 4 weeks or so, I haven't been using conditioner at all (rinse out or leave in) as per DubaiDee's modification. About 3 washes ago, I did use diluted conditioner (KCKT and Faith In Nature Hemp and Meadowfoam- both MHM-approved) to DC before my clay. I will only do this occasionally.

I use wheatgerm, grapeseed and sunflower oils after I've rinsed the clay. I rinse a little after too. Before trying the modified regimen, I didn't really use oil much- although I felt it could benefit my hair (sheen and softness). For me styling my dry hair, grapeseed oil particularly and water helps my hair to feel soft.

I use the diluted gel straight out of the tub. I've been meaning to get some pump containers. I haven't tried spraying it.

Last edited:
Now if only I could simplify my gel step. I love flaxseed/okra gel results. I don't even mind making it once a month or something, if it was shelf stable after that.

It's inconvenient to have to freeze and then get ice cubes out of the freezer and melt and then take it to the bathroom. I do think I am going to defrost a week's worth (or 5 days worth) at a time, add vit E and EOs and see how that works.

But still, I wish there was something more affordable than KCCC that was shelf-stable and works for me. My 3c normal porosity daughter is so lucky because FOTE Aloe Vera gel works great for her but hair hates Aloe and needs more hold than that.

For those using the KCCC diluted (Abys?) how long does one jar last you? Is there a shelf stable FSG on the market?

I tried a new gel this past week and its reallllly good. It resembles loose flax seed to me. Im coconut sensitive and this didnt bother me even with the oil being fifth to last in the list. I paid $6.99 for it at Walgreens. I love KCCC but I only use it on rare times because of the prices. Sweet Soul Magic Curl Stimulator is my main gel because its gooey and last 5 times as long as KCCC but I use a lot of on ground gels due to me washing every 3 days or so. Garnier Pure Clean Gel is another gel you can get on ground. Really good.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/twisted-sista-amazing-dream-curls/ID=prod6269165-product

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/garnier-fructis-style-pure-clean-styling-gel/ID=prod6055745-product

I tried a new gel this past week and its reallllly good. It resembles loose flax seed to me. Im coconut sensitive and this didnt bother me even with the oil being fifth to last in the list. I paid $6.99 for it at Walgreens. I love KCCC but I only use it on rare times because of the prices. Sweet Soul Magic Curl Stimulator is my main gel because its gooey and last 5 times as long as KCCC but I use a lot of on ground gels due to me washing every 3 days or so. Garnier Pure Clean Gel is another gel you can get on ground. Really good.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/twisted-sista-amazing-dream-curls/ID=prod6269165-product

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/garnier-fructis-style-pure-clean-styling-gel/ID=prod6055745-product
Thanks for sharing! The twisted sista looks good and there is a Walgreens less than 5 minutes from me. I see Glycerin is the second ingredient. Have you tried it for braid outs or twist outs where you need a defined look? I wonder if the Glycerin will make your hair puff up?

For the past 4 weeks or so, I haven't been using conditioner at all (rinse out or leave in) as per DubaiDee's modification. About 3 washes ago, I did use diluted conditioner (KCKT and Faith In Nature Hemp and Meadowfoam- both MHM-approved) to DC before my clay. I will only do this occasionally.

I use wheatgerm, grapeseed and sunflower oils after I've rinsed the clay. I rinse a little after too. Before trying the modified regimen, I didn't really use oil much- although I felt it could benefit my hair (sheen and softness). For me styling my dry hair, grapeseed oil particularly and water helps my hair to feel soft.

I use the gel straight out of the tub. I've been meaning to get some pump containers. I haven't tried spraying it.
How do you dilute it if you are using it right out of the tub? Do you mean you just use a small amount (how much) and rub it through your very wet hair after applying the oils?

I'm loving my results. I rodded my twist again last night and did a water rinse. Again, my hair was still wet this morning. But no tangles or frizz at the base of my twist. I will wash on Friday. My scalp is calling for a deep wash.
How do you wear it during the day? Do you untwist the wet twists in the morning before headed out or leave the twists in? Are you retwisting your hair throughout the week?

How do you wear it during the day? Do you untwist the wet twists in the morning before headed out or leave the twists in? Are you retwisting your hair throughout the week?

I'm not untwisting because they are mini twists and pretty small. I'm just wearing twists. I put the twists in on the 8th, water rinsed on the 12th and the 15th. I'm not having to retwist at all. I did put them on perm rods before I rinsed to prevent them from unraveling.

They aren't the prettiest things in the world because they are short. But my coworkers are used to my crazy hair by now :lol: This style is just the break I needed. And should just get better as my hair grows out of this awkward stage.

How do you dilute it if you are using it right out of the tub? Do you mean you just use a small amount (how much) and rub it through your very wet hair after applying the oils?

I'll use an empty gel tub, pour some out and mix it with a fair bit of water. I don't measure ETA: but having checked now, about 1-2 normal dinner spoons (lol) gel to a third of the tub water. When properly mixed, it thickens up quite a bit so it still has a gel consistency. Just looser. And this will last for either one or two washes, depending on how heavy handed I am (always it seems:laugh:). I mix everything before I start, or during each wash.

I still apply the gel in small sections to very wet hair.

Sometimes I mix a little Alikay Naturals aloe berry gel in with the KCCC, to mix up the scent and take a break from the 'cake-like' smell of KCCC. I love how the aloe berry gel smells but it didn't give me great hold/ gel cast when I tried it alone.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! The twisted sista looks good and there is a Walgreens less than 5 minutes from me. I see Glycerin is the second ingredient. Have you tried it for braid outs or twist outs where you need a defined look? I wonder if the Glycerin will make your hair puff up?
I dont wear twistouts/braidsouts. Im super lazy. When I use a styler with glycerin, I put a non glycerin styler or seal it with a light oil ,on top for longer wear. It extends my gels and gives me longer wear ( if I wanted). I rarely keep a washngo past 4 days.

I just seen real dandruff on my scalp, I thought I always had it but I think those were just gel flakes. Real dandruff is scary y'all! I probably need to do the clay step 2 times a week instead of once

Hi @faithVA @AbysBlvd @Holla4mom! Thanks for thinking of me...sorry I've been MIA, I got in a hair slump and started feeling like I was constantly watching paint dry. I've been lurking but diverted my attention to making changes to my kitchen and trying new recipes...at least I'm seeing progress there, Lol.

My hair improved slightly but nothing to write about, I just don't get why I can't get definition without gel?! I look at vloggers like Dubai and DanaB who appears to have had hair very similar to mine, especially Dubai but I continue to be stuck where I am despite doing everything right. I'm neither here nor there with my hair, I just completed the original method on Wednesday and will continue to water rinse and gel for a while.

Funny story. While on vacation in Atlanta, my husband thought he'd be funny and took a brush to my hair AFTER I had worked on it and was still very wet. I cursed the man something awful and now he'll ask if my hair is dry before he touch it, Lol. Poor thing was traumatized. I'm like dude, I didn't wake up like dis...these little coils take work!! Don't touch my wet hair, PERIOD!!

Hi @faithVA @AbysBlvd @Holla4mom! Thanks for thinking of me...sorry I've been MIA, I got in a hair slump and started feeling like I was constantly watching paint dry. I've been lurking but diverted my attention to making changes to my kitchen and trying new recipes...at least I'm seeing progress there, Lol.

My hair improved slightly but nothing to write about, I just don't get why I can't get definition without gel?! I look at vloggers like Dubai and DanaB who appears to have had hair very similar to mine, especially Dubai but I continue to be stuck where I am despite doing everything right. I'm neither here nor there with my hair, I just completed the original method on Wednesday and will continue to water rinse and gel for a while.

Funny story. While on vacation in Atlanta, my husband thought he'd be funny and took a brush to my hair AFTER I had worked on it and was still very wet. I cursed the man something awful and now he'll ask if my hair is dry before he touch it, Lol. Poor thing was traumatized. I'm like dude, I didn't wake up like dis...these little coils take work!! Don't touch my wet hair, PERIOD!!

I am glad that you popped in. You were missed.

Definitely divert your attention to your kitchen. Comparisons are the devil. So comparing our hair to someone else's and trying to get the same results within a certain time frame is a setup for disappointment. So just do what you need to do for now. Your hair will come along in its on time :yep:

I don't have any comment on the husband story. Not sure how I'm feeling about that :lol:

So... I did my dry twist out yesterday.

Step 1 (clarify)- Curls cleanser/ cowash thing-y (it felt so conditioning going on, but it had suds! :yay:)
Step 2 (dc) - Sweet Almond Mint Wen (trynna use up my stash)
Step 3 (clarify)- bentonite clay mask with ACV, honey granules, and marshmallow root powder
Step 4 (leave in)- Curls Creme Brule
[air dried, stretched using African threading technique]
Step 5 (gel)- Curls Goddess Curls
[flat twisted]
[laid down edges with Wetline Xtreme gel :kiss3:]

What happened? I didn't let it dry all the way. Womp. One side was fabulous, the other side was... considerably less so. :look: So I did a loose roll and tuck and went about my business.

Will I repeat? Yes, but I'll need a more moisturizing leave-in cuz my hair is kinda crunchy. After sleeping without a scarf :look:, the side that looked good still looks good, so this gel is a keeper for TO definition.

I took out my twists this morning and wearing a twist out. My hair is soft and moisturized and my twist out is very defined. With some length it would be very enjoyable. If someone had told me last year that my hair would be soft and moisturized without conditioner or leave-in, I would have never believed it. o_O

I'm going to try to enjoy my hair at this length but I'm looking forward to seeing what it is like in the fall :yep:

I'm washing tonight but not really doing MHM. I'm still trying to get this color in shampoo to work so I don't have to use a permanent color on my hair. :angry2: I have a few more trials I want to do with it before I give up. I will be using conditioner tonight though since I'm using shampoo. Will be styling my hair for a wedding tomorrow.

Hi @faithVA @AbysBlvd @Holla4mom! Funny story. While on vacation in Atlanta, my husband thought he'd be funny and took a brush to my hair AFTER I had worked on it and was still very wet. I cursed the man something awful and now he'll ask if my hair is dry before he touch it, Lol. Poor thing was traumatized. I'm like dude, I didn't wake up like dis...these little coils take work!! Don't touch my wet hair, PERIOD!!

:lachen:

P.S Glad your still about:yep:. Don't mind another MHM-head's journey for a progress comparison. Just take your time:). You sound like you are enjoying it. Everyone's hair has its own pace. I guess we can't assume that if someone has short hair, it will hydrate any faster.

One thing I will say, every head that I've tried the method on, has had way better first time results than I did.

Back