Men Don't Fall In Love "gradually".... True Or Not?? What Do You Think?

Did your man (current or not) fall for you gradually, or was there always instant attraction?

• He was instantly smitten or attracted to me from the first time we met

Votes: 59 80.8%
  • He wasn't instantly interested when we first met, but we became friends and he ended up liking me

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I'm not sure (I never asked/or they never told me)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's been about 50/50 - Some were instantly interested, others grew to have an interest over time

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • He hated me at first, but then over time he came to like me lol

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I think it can happen either way, but USUALLY a man has to have an interest initially

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • He always liked my personality, but after a while he started liking me romantically

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Crystalicequeen123

So....I was reading this guy Andrew's blog ("The Rules Revisted"), and while I usually take what he says with a HUGE HUGE grain of salt (afterall, these are just HIS personal opinions, and not all men are the same), this particular post he made on his blog really resonated with me and got me to thinking.... Maybe he's on to something?? :yep:

But I wanted to know what you ladies think:

Has ANY man (past or present) fallen for you or become interested in you gradually or as time went on (ie. you two have known each other for quite some time), or was he ALWAYS initially attracted/interested in you, regardless of if you two got together or not? Feel free to vote and post below to explain your answer and the circumstances.

According to this guy Andrew, "men don't fall in love the same way women do"..... So he's basically saying that either a man felt interest from you from the get-go, or he will NEVER feel any feelings for you....EVER.

His post is a good interesting read... (Below) Do you agree w/him? Why or why not? (Explain)

Men Don't Fall in Love the Same Way Women Do
A reader recently asked me if I've learned anything new about women from writing this blog. I have. To be specific, I've learned one thing - one important thing. I want to explain that one thing here, because the corresponding lesson for women is equally important.

So many of the women that write to me for advice have stories that go something like this...

I met my boyfriend through mutual friends. I wasn't very attracted to him at first. He wasn't the best looking guy in the world and he was a little quiet. I never really considered him a potential boyfriend, but then he asked me out. I agreed because I wanted to give it a chance, and I hadn't been on a date in a while. The first date went OK, so we kept seeing each other. Before long I started getting attached and soon I found myself falling for him. We spent a lot of time together, and by three months I was in love. Now we are five months into the relationship and things have stagnated a little. He seems to be losing interest. Our phone calls are getting shorter, we see each other less frequently, and he's been answering my texts sporadically. In general the excitement he showed at the outset seems to have faded. I don't know what to do... I am completely in love with him and don't know if I can handle a break up. Is there any way I can re-spark his interest? What can I do??Obviously this is just a paraphrase; the details of each story vary. But the common thread among them, and the thing that I found so interesting, was that the woman's love grew gradually, over months, often started as complete indifference. It amazed me that a woman could end up being so in love with a man that, initially, she wouldn't have seriously considered dating.

In fact, I was so surprised by this that I initially doubted the truth of the stories. I speculated that the women writing to me were subject to some kind of wishful thinking or tunnel-vision, by which they focused only on the good in their boyfriend rather than the advantages of other men. But this really couldn't explain the phenomenon. A woman couldn't wishfully think herself into a degree of love so strong that she would feel compelled to write me for help. I eventually realized that these women were being genuine, and I was forced to admit that there was a uniquely feminine mechanism at work.

By now most of you have probably recognized the important point for women, which is implicit in my astonishment: men do not fall in love gradually, and they do not find themselves suddenly falling for women in whom they weren't initially interested. I was surprised because I had wrongly assumed that women work the same way as men in this respect. But this is not the case.

Now, let me qualify a couple things before going any further. By "love" I mean deep romantic attraction, as opposed to lust or long-term attachment. Lust is primary, physical and fleeting for both sexes, and long-term attachment takes years of shared experience to develop in either sex. Also, I am not saying that this is the only way women fall in love, or the most common. I recognize that women can experience something closer to "love at first sight."

The important thing to recognize is that you cannot expect (much less make) a man gradually fall in love with you in the same way that you might fall in love with a man. It doesn't work that way for us. Male romantic love is something that either starts early and continues, or else doesn't start at all.

Since recognizing this difference in the sexes, I've had time to consider why it exists, and I think I have a reasonable understanding of what is going on. The information that a man needs to trigger romantic love is information that he can perceive within a few interactions with a woman. I believe this is true for a couple reasons:
  1. A great deal of his attraction to a woman is physical, and her approximate physical beauty can be demonstrated by seeing her in a handful of outfits (or, to some degree, through photos).
  2. A great deal of his attraction to a woman is rooted in her personality and energy, which can be demonstrated by experiencing her in a handful of moods. This takes longer than the physical attraction, but is still possible within a fairly limited number of encounters.
Other data, such as a woman's religious or political beliefs, her social class, her family, etc. are either immediately available to a man via conversation, or else far less significant in garnering his attraction. So, in general, a man can evaluate a woman quite quickly.

Now, for women, the situation is different. Many of a woman's triggers for romantic love are less immediate:
  • His personal strength and emotional stability, which can only be demonstrated by seeing him react to challenging situations, and these are unlikely to arise on a daily basis.
  • His intelligence and confidence, which - although more readily assessed - can also take time to evaluate, as they are best demonstrated via situations in which his wit or knowledge is pitted against others', or by seeing how he responds to other men in a variety of real-life social situations.
  • His commitment, which is only demonstrated in proportion to its duration. The longer he is with you, the longer he is likely to stay with you.
In other words, while a man judges his woman primarily in relation to himself, which he does quite quickly, a woman evaluates her man on how he relates to the outside world, and this takes longer. In addition, and perhaps more importantly, a woman needs to gauge her man's reliability, and this demands time.

From an evolutionary biology standpoint, this makes good sense: the man who propagates his genes successfully does not need months to judge the reproductive potential of his mate, or her ability to nurture and raise children; he can see these things from physical cues, as well has her energy, moods, and her instinct to take care of him. But the woman who propagates her genes is one who accurately judges whether the man with whom she mates is not only strong, but also stable - that is, capable of protecting and providing for her children until they are grown.

The implications of this are enormous for both sexes in dating, but let me underline the biggest lesson for women: if a man isn't falling for you from an early stage - say, the first month - it isn't going to happen. Don't wait around for his feelings to "grow" the way yours sometimes do. They will not. While this doesn't necessarily mean that he should be ruled out as a potential boyfriend or husband, it does mean that he will never be the woozy, infatuated lover you've seen in the movies. And if this is something you can't live without, you'd do better to break up with him now than to become more emotionally or sexually invested before breaking up with him later.
SOURCE: The Rules Revisted

In my experience what he says is true. You know how it is in the movies when the guy suddenly realizes his tomboy best friend that he's known all of his life is really the love of his life? He just wakes up one day and sees her in a different light?

Yeah, I have NEVER seen that happen in real life! :lachen:

Not saying that it couldn't or doesn't, just that I have never seen that.

In my experience what he says is true. You know how it is in the movies when the guy suddenly realizes his tomboy best friend that he's known all of his life is really the love of his life? He just wakes up one day and sees her in a different light?

Yeah, I have NEVER seen that happen in real life!
:lachen:

Not saying that it couldn't or doesn't, just that I have never seen that.

:lachen: :lachen:

So wait, you mean to tell me all those movies have been lying to us @MizAvalon ?? :lol:

i think there are a lot of guys who do that "falling in love with/married my best friend" thing but a.) thats not a popular opinion round these parts and b.) its a different type of guy that doesnt seem in high demand.

e: as far as you asking directly in your op yes it has happened to me multiple times.

i think there are a lot of guys who do that "falling in love with/married my best friend" thing but a.) thats not a popular opinion round these parts and b.) its a different type of guy that doesnt seem in high demand.

e: as far as you asking directly in your op yes it has happened to me multiple times.

You sure that they weren't just playing the waiting game lol. I can think of certain types of guys that do this.

Although I have not read the book, 'The Rules Revisited'...I have always believed this, to be true. I think just by nature.... Consequently, I am usually not attracted to guys who don't show me some immediate interest. As for those guys who try and hide their interest or affection (for what ever reason) will never get a second chance with me. I want my potential mate to see me and be like 'damn'. But not because they may find me physically attractive, but because they FEEL something when they see me for the first time. This is what I believe.

Hmmm....very interesting. :yep: Especially the part b in bold. So you think if the guy were say more of a "hot commodity" with a lot of options, then he probably wouldn't fall for his "best friend" type?

I'm glad to hear that it has happened to you many times before. I do wonder though if maybe those guys already HAD an interest/attraction to you from the get-go, but either circumstances (an SO) or timing (interested in someone else at the time) prevented you two from getting together at THAT particular time, but when those other "obstacles" were taken away, then that is when he started pursuing?

I'm just wondering...

Because according to this article it almost seems as though men's attraction to a woman doesn't "grow". It was either there from the start, or it never will be there. :confused:

I would say 50/50. Guys do gradually fall in love with you, the problem usually ends up in my case at least, I either never was feeling it, or I lost my attraction because it took too long. My personality is the opposite, the more I know you the less I tend to like:look:
^^THIS!!!! And I think THIS is the reason why I never really fell for any of my guy friends in the past, because if you're a "friend", then there's usually a reason. Now, I DID have an attraction to a male friend one time....and no I did not like him from jump (I was actually pretty lukewarm/indifferent to him), but over time I DID come to have feelings for him. SO, it CAN happen. :yep: But a lot of the guy friends that liked ME had some character traits (or flaws I should say) that kept them as "friends only" in my mind. Never any physical attraction...no matter how much we divulged about each other. :nono: So if there was not any physical attraction to begin with, and couple on to that their personality/character flaws were okay to deal with as a friend, but definitely NOT as a romantic partner, I think this explains why I never developed romantic feelings for some of my guy friends who were interested in me. I think that's why for WOMEN attraction is more than just "looks". The guy has to also have the qualities that you're looking for in a man. :yep:

I actually think how the guy described how women fall in love was pretty spot on. :up:

Although I have not read the book, 'The Rules Revisited'...I have always believed this, to be true. I think just by nature.... Consequently, I am usually not attracted to guys who don't show me some immediate interest. As for those guys who try and hide their interest or affection (for what ever reason) will never get a second chance with me. I want my potential mate to see me and be like 'damn'. But not because they may find me physically attractive, but because they FEEL something when they see me for the first time. This is what I believe.

For me, I don't mind so much if a guy takes his time in getting to know me or even to express his interest in me, because it shows me that he's discerning and he must like something about me MORE than just my phsyical attributes. I actually respect that. :yep:

But I agree, if the guy takes TOO long, or if he's interested and too "scared" to make a move, then I will kind of lose interest fairly quickly. :ohwell: It's one thing to have an interest in a woman, but be holding back and be observing her and getting to know her subtly before going in for the "kill" and really making your interest known, as opposed to having puppy dog feelings for the girl and being too chicken to express feelings due to a fear of rejection. :ohwell: The latter is unnattractive to me because it gives me the impression that the guy doesn't have any confidence in himself. And confidence is extremely sexy to me in a man. :yep: Even if I'm not interested in him back, just the fact that he had the courage to express his interest in me is a turn-on. I would respect him even if I didn't feel the same way. :yep:

So you think if the guy were say more of a "hot commodity" with a lot of options, then he probably wouldn't fall for his "best friend" type?

no :lol: i wasnt getting at anything near that :lol:

Every man I've asked about this has said that they know pretty quickly. I'm sure their are exceptions...there are lots of men that will date and be in relationships with women they see no future with for a variety of reasons and I think in those situations they can end up developing feelings over time. I don't think I would want to be on the receiving end of that kind of late blooming love. I like it when a man is really into me from the start.

Umm no.

Most wives I know say their husbands knew first and right away.

There us an article in ot by the husband of black & married with kids that also says this.

If a wkmannis sitting around hoping a man will fall in love with her she will likely be sorely disappointed.

Yep. if anything happens between them....it's right place, right time, settling, hookups, any other thing except love. Lol.

As someone who works/interacts with a bunch of men everyday for the last decade, I've never heard a single one talk about ANY woman growing on them. lol.

You sure that they weren't just playing the waiting game lol. I can think of certain types of guys that do this.

in all honesty im not sure it really makes any difference. not to me personally. ive been with guys who wanted me right away and guys where the relationship grew out of friendship companionability, and the only thing id say was noticeable was the sexual attraction. guys who want me right away is mainly because they want to bone me all the time tbh. personally i dont know that thats what i prefer, and like i said, the type of thing im talking about is not something most women around here seem interested in. that doesnt mean its any better or worse just that people have certain perspectives on what a relationship should be, and this exists outside of it.

I have known the type who eventually fell for "his best friend". Each one I knew had something in common: He was married and wanted out of the relationship.

I am sure the other type would be the man with a serious girlfriend/fiancé who had problems with his relationship and eventually fell for "his best friend" who shouldn't be a friend anyway.

There is a possible problem with men falling in love gradually. Unless he is under 25 of age and sowing his oats but was interested in his friend and waiting until he was a little older, the man would likely fall in love with a best friend after his current relationship crashed. It is much better to have the man take an interest quickly and let the woman do the weeding out.

in all honesty im not sure it really makes any difference. not to me personally. ive been with guys who wanted me right away and guys where the relationship grew out of friendship companionability, and the only thing id say was noticeable was the sexual attraction. guys who want me right away is mainly because they want to bone me all the time tbh. personally i dont know that thats what i prefer, and like i said, the type of thing im talking about is not something most women around here seem interested in. that doesnt mean its any better or worse just that people have certain perspectives on what a relationship should be, and this exists outside of it.

What I've noticed is the guys who play the waiting game have found you sexually and mentally attractive early on, but are able to keep a lid on it. Either because the situation isn't right or they are coward to own up to it. Still the decision that you are potentially special is usually made early on in the waiting game. I quite like the experience of the friends thing, but I have no doubt that the men usually are secretly keen early on.

When I say falling is quick, I personally mean genuine falling in love and subsequently showing love and dedication, not just lust/possession. I trust people are distinguishing between these two situations.

Last edited:
Umm no.

There us an article in ot by the husband of black & married with kids that also says this.

If a wkmannis sitting around hoping a man will fall in love with her she will likely be sorely disappointed.

In contrast, many women will say this doesn’t mirror their experiences because they’ve invested time in men for months, years, or even decades who “still don’t know what they want” from a relationship. I guess anything is possible but that is not very probable. What makes more sense? A man who is perfectly capable of making hundreds of decisions each day is somehow incapable of making one decision about one woman at least one time?

I doubt it.

In fact, the absence of a decision is itself a decision.

http://www.singleblackmale.org/2013/05/20/men-fall-in-love-faster-than-women/

Umm no.

Yes, that's what I usually hear as well. :yep: :yep: And I believe it's definitely true.

But my question is...what EXACTLY is it that the men know? I mean seriously, they only thing you can "know" about a person when you first meet them is that they are attractive (or not) and perhaps MAYBE a "nice person". Other than that, I don't see how a man can possibly know that a woman would make a good wife, would be a good person, or would even have anything in common with him.

In all honesty, the only thing that he would probably "know" is that he finds her attractive and would like to know her better. To me that "love at first sight" (I "know" right away) is kind of superficial imo. :ohwell:

As someone who works/interacts with a bunch of men everyday for the last decade, I've never heard a single one talk about ANY woman growing on them. lol.

I believe you, but I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here....

What about situations where it took YEARS for a guy and a girl to get together? I know of instances where two people were actually in the same school, same congregation, same work place, or just knew and saw each other once a year through mutual friends and NOTHING romantic happened between them for YEARS, until one day....something just "clicked", and now they are married.

What was occuring in those situations? Did the guy always secretly find the woman attractive, interesting, or "special" and just either liked someone ELSE more at the time? Or, did the woman "grow" on him since he got to see her over a long period of time and come to like her? Men may be men, but psycholgy has the "theory of proximity"...meaning we usually tend to like people MORE when we spend MORE time with them. Even if we didn't like someone at first meet, when we spend more time with that person, we usually tend to find even their quirks somewhat easier to deal with when we're around a person a lot more.

What I've noticed is the guys who play the waiting game have found you sexually and mentally attractive early on, but are able to keep a lid on it. Either because the situation isn't right or they are coward to own up to it. Still the decision that you are potentially special is usually made early on in the waiting game. I quite like the experience of the friends thing, but I have no doubt that the men usually are secretly keen early on.

When I say falling is quick, I personally mean genuine falling in love and subsequently showing love and dedication, not just lust/possession. I trust people are distinguishing between these two situations.
Thank you so much for bringing this out @Sumra. :yep: I think THIS is what I was getting at in my comments in this post above. I think that while MOST men can tell right off the bat fairly early on whether or not they are ATTRACTED to you or not (and hence, whether they would even "go there" with you on a romantic level), I have seen many times where couples got together later on (not right away). Personally I much prefer a guy to be friends w/me FIRST at least for a little while before trying to get romantic w/me, because then I would know that he must have seen something in me (other than just my "looks") that was "special" and I would view his interest as more concrete and based on my full "self" as opposed to strictly physical attraction.

Now granted, I don't think a woman should wait on her laurels for a man to "notice" her, because honestly I think either a man noticed you or not :look:, but at the same time I think that just because a man isn't making his interest known from jump doesn't automatically mean that he will never make it known...if there's genuine interest.

Yes, that's what I usually hear as well. :yep: :yep: And I believe it's definitely true.

But my question is...what EXACTLY is it that the men know? I mean seriously, they only thing you can "know" about a person when you first meet them is that they are attractive (or not) and perhaps MAYBE a "nice person". Other than that, I don't see how a man can possibly know that a woman would make a good wife, would be a good person, or would even have anything in common with him.

In all honesty, the only thing that he would probably "know" is that he finds her attractive and would like to know her better. To me that "love at first sight" (I "know" right away) is kind of superficial imo. :ohwell:

I believe you, but I'm going to play a little devil's advocate here....

What about situations where it took YEARS for a guy and a girl to get together? I know of instances where two people were actually in the same school, same congregation, same work place, or just knew and saw each other once a year through mutual friends and NOTHING romantic happened between them for YEARS, until one day....something just "clicked", and now they are married.

What was occuring in those situations? Did the guy always secretly find the woman attractive, interesting, or "special" and just either liked someone ELSE more at the time? Or, did the woman "grow" on him since he got to see her over a long period of time and come to like her? Men may be men, but psycholgy has the "theory of proximity"...meaning we usually tend to like people MORE when we spend MORE time with them. Even if we didn't like someone at first meet, when we spend more time with that person, we usually tend to find even their quirks somewhat easier to deal with when we're around a person a lot more.

I think in cases like your scenario nothing happened between the couple because one or the other was focused elsewhere. Or they noticed each other but were never available at the same time to test the "relationship" waters. They were either dating other people that looked good on paper but for whatever reason didn't click. Or one was fixated on one aspect that they thought they had to have until they finally realized it wasn't what they needed. They were not ever circling each other wearing the other down.

Men know what they want and they either go for it or they wait for it. Most men I know do not do that "she grew on me". They do the "she was there and I thought I was ready". Don't be that woman thinking that you "grew" on someone when in actuality he gave up on (or lost) the one he really wanted. That's how you have men being dragged through the steps of courtship with one women and then running like Usain Bolt with the next. If he wants you he will make it do what it do. If he is keeping you on layaway while he continues to shop around he will meander until he wears out his options. Being accessible and familiar is not the same thing as being wanted.

It may take years for a couple to reach certain goals before taking step to marriage but it doesn't take years to decide that you want to commit to someone. If he's acting like he's single don't make excuses or think you can change his mind or earn his devotion. Too many women do that "he grew on me" when they honestly should be saying "I settled because xyz". Be bold enough to know what you want and then keep your options open until you get it.

Yeah that movie thing (tomboy bff turning into ultimate love interest) has a lot of women disappointed. I can't even count the number of women who have taken the stance, "If I be a good friend, then he will realize he likes me,"...um no. More likely if you be a good friend he may eventually have sex with you or settle with you. It happened to me. I had a guy friend who later wanted to date. I thought he had just recently developed those feelings but in truth he told me he was interested since we met but I was interested in someone else so he didn't pursue me that way.

I think men know right away if a woman they are dealing with is wife material. Doesn't take long for them to figure out if they are just dating her to be doing something or dating her because he can see himself marrying her.

We can be very delusional as women sometimes. I truly believe that if it starts as friendship and the guy makes a move later it was due to circumstances rather than him developing new feelings. Circumstances such as one or both already in a relationship, or the girl rebuffed his efforts so he settled for friendship (while pursuing other interests). This has also happened to me -twice recently with men I've known popping up in my life checking to see if I was still married who had never previously shown any interest of that kind. Surprised the heck outta me!

The article is pretty spot on about men and women.:look: All the men who've been interested in me were from the minute they saw me, whether or not they acted on it in that moment. There might be one exception where a man gradually fell for me but that was because we were sharing an apartment and would hang out and talk. Silly me thought we had a great friendship and then everyone's like, "he's into you ScorpioBeauty09." :ohwell::lol:

Early on in dating I figured out it's never good when I have an immediate extreme reaction to a man when I meet him. It's better when I'm like "he's ok." Obviously if I have a negative reaction, then it's not going to happen LOL. But if I'm totally ga-ga over a guy at first glance that's not good either. Studies show romantic feelings blind us to that person's faults. So if you're ga-ga for someone at the beginning you might miss some potential deal breakers that come back to bite you later. That's definitely happened to women I know.

But going by the logic in the article it happens to men too. :giggle: I think about it every time I hear a man say "my ex is crazy." I'm like you were into her at some point. And people don't just randomly go crazy. They show their crazy early on. Men just choose not to pay attention to it because the endorphins start flowing.:giggle::giggle:

Just my :twocents:

Have you ladies her this?
They say women have two ladders. A guy is either on the friends ladder or the potential S/O ladder. (And I personally believe that women are likely to give a "friend" a chance and move them to the S/O ladder).

Men also have two ladders (this is my spin on it). One is women they would marry and the other ladder is everyone else...and they will have sex with anyone from either ladder. But I think it hardly ever happens that women move from the "everyone else" ladder to the wife one. They will be with someone for years, have kids with them etc. and still not relocate them to the wife ladder.

Back