MBL 2010

Checking in for today............ I put some AOGPB on dry hair this morning with a plastic shower cap over it and tied down with my hair scarf that has a plastic insert. I rinsed my hair after about 5 hours and co-washed with Aussie Moist. My NG is popping (chalk it up to the protein) but soft. After applying some Rusk Smoother and a little John Frieda Frizz Ease I'm now air-drying in a single plait ponytail. When I get to about 80% dry I'm going to apply my JBCO, a little NTM Silk Touch and finish it off with EVCO.

Uh, can you please add me to the list:yep: I um, relaxed today after a 3 month stint. I got alot of growth but unfortunatly I had to cut about 2 or so inches off, so I'm back at BS. Which is cool. I knew I was going to have to cut that off. Long story short, dominicans jacked me up last year and effed me up, so basically every 3 months when I relaxed I cut off about 2 inches so the jacked up part could catch up. Well the jacked up part that was real short last year is now BS and the rest of my hair was past the bottom of my ta'da's. Anywho, I just cut 2-3 inches and I'm happy with my decision. Now I'm back on this mission to WL:lachen:

Last edited:
Hi ladies:

Here's a brief update. I don't believe I'm MBL. :( This is why I didn't wanna claim it yet, even though I believe I made it before my touchup and trim. :nono: I got relaxed last Thursday and it wasn't a good experience. Long story short, my sides look and feel very thin. :sad: My ends are rough and she didn't really style my hair well or get it straight enough (I'm used to high quality ceramic tools and it's hard to go back). My sides are scaring me. Here's a preliminary pic but I will take more from behind and closeups of my sides. I would say I am full BSL and inching towards MBL after the trim. She said she took of 1/4 of an inch but I think it was more.

I'm not really upset about that b/c my ends ARE rough and I will need to keep snipping away at them until they are healthy again. They're not thin, but they just feel and look damaged. IDK. :(I'm discouraged b/c I rarely use heat and protective style a lot. Plus I keep conditioner and oils on my ends. And I don't stress my roots so I wonder if the relaxer thinned my hair, whether it was left on too long. I see I will have to stop being cheap and go back to the Aveda salon. :ohwell: I pray with TLC and a break from chemicals I can get my thickness back. :pray:

IMAGE_258.jpg

Butterfly, you're hair is beautiful :drool:, but only you know how your hair should look and feel :yep:.

Update: I haven't been too nice to my hair recently, but I've joined 2 more challenges :look: so I'll be back on the ball at the end of this week. I just feel like playing around, but I'm not going to do anything too crazy and have a setback.

Last edited:
I'm on my way to mbl or I may be there already. I can't wait for a length check!:grin: I have to trim, but it's not going to really take off length. I know it's grown several inches.:grin:

ok I'm still in, but no length checks for me till the fall. I know. Going to do no heat till it gets cold again. plan on braid outs over wist this year. And most importantly, enjoy my hair! Ladies, HHG

I joined the cowash challenge today -- I think this summer when my HYH is over, I will cowash and wet bun. I cowashed about 3-4 times per week the past two summers and had great growth, but my ends always looked crazy when I straightened in the fall due to all the WNGs/puffs and detangling. Hopefully bunning (and sealing) will help prevent that.

I haven't updated in a while. I've been having a couple of set backs so I'm not sure that I'll make MBL. Pregnancy completely changed my hair texture and between that and the winter weather my hair had major breakage and splits. I'm hoping that since my hormones should be leveling out now that I've given birth my hair can recover. I just trimmed (well more like cut) so I'm actually shorter than when I started off in this challenge. I am going to up my cowashing now that its beginning to warm up again.

Hi ladies:

Here's a brief update. I don't believe I'm MBL. :( This is why I didn't wanna claim it yet, even though I believe I made it before my touchup and trim. :nono: I got relaxed last Thursday and it wasn't a good experience. Long story short, my sides look and feel very thin. :sad: My ends are rough and she didn't really style my hair well or get it straight enough (I'm used to high quality ceramic tools and it's hard to go back). My sides are scaring me. Here's a preliminary pic but I will take more from behind and closeups of my sides. I would say I am full BSL and inching towards MBL after the trim. She said she took of 1/4 of an inch but I think it was more.

I'm not really upset about that b/c my ends ARE rough and I will need to keep snipping away at them until they are healthy again. They're not thin, but they just feel and look damaged. IDK. :(I'm discouraged b/c I rarely use heat and protective style a lot. Plus I keep conditioner and oils on my ends. And I don't stress my roots so I wonder if the relaxer thinned my hair, whether it was left on too long. I see I will have to stop being cheap and go back to the Aveda salon. :ohwell: I pray with TLC and a break from chemicals I can get my thickness back. :pray:

((Hugs)) It will get better! I'm sure you've heard the raves about castor oil and thickness maybe castor oil can smooth your ends as well, if they're not damaged, but just feel off.

Tonight I decided to do a rollerset and I love love love the way it came out :grin:!!! This is my best one yet and I did 3 things differently: 1. used a round bristle brush 2. used Jane Carter's Condition and Set 3. used CHI Straight Guard. I know it's fluffy and not as smooth as it could have been, but I love it all the more for that.
DSCN0752.jpg

DSCN0749.jpg

DSCN0761.jpg

((Hugs)) It will get better! I'm sure you've heard the raves about castor oil and thickness maybe castor oil can smooth your ends as well, if they're not damaged, but just feel off.

Thank you. I posted a separate thread because I realized yesterday that in some places she took off more than 2 inches. :( This is because she changed the shape of my hair from blunt (as in my avi) to U shaped, without my knowledge or approval. :wallbash:

I am still heated. I left her a message. I'm just gonna bun it up until I relax again because every time I see it I get mad all over again. :nono:

Just checking in. Hair's still straight -- I am moisturizing every 2-3 days with a dab of coconut oil and avocado butter and mostly bunning/ponytailing it. I really want to try rollersetting (inspired by kblc06) but I am supposed to be going into senegalese twists when this blowout is done with.

Checking in..

I've been focusing on the health of my hair and maintaining the protein/moisture balance. I am still DC'ing 1-3 times per week and alternating protein and moisture.

I've been pretty consistent with my vitamins, supplements, and MT. It's moving!

I've been using so much heat this month! It's ridiculous :nono:. I've finally put the blowdryer away from good (hopefully) after using it again today! I'm just asking for a setback, aren't I :wallbash:. I even contemplated going to get a professional blowout today. *sigh* I just want to see my length sooooo badly :sad:. Any other naturals feeling the same way?

Tomorrow is the start of Spring and Summer bunning and cowashing challenges, so I should be fine from now one.

Checking in, today is usually my wash day, but I am at work unfortunately. The weather is ugly, so I decided to try out my new half wig, Outre's Valentine. I moisturized and sealed, wrapped it up, left a little hair out, and slapped it on. I love it! No pics yet ladies, sorry..lol

I co-washed on Thursday night with Aussie Moist and a little Roux Porosity Control condish. Put in my Giovanni Direct Leave-In and a little John Frieda Frizz Ease. Air-dried in a single plait ponytail with my trusty scarf. After I got about 75% dry I applied JBCO to my NG and some NTM Silk Touch to the length of my hair. I definitely think I have more NG at this stage than I normally do....it may be the consistent use of JBCO.

I've changed my mind already about bunning until the Summer :lachen:. I'll just be cowashing daily and rocking wng's for the next month or 2. It's less manipulation than bunning for my hair, and the daily cowashing makes my retention no joke :grin:.

checking in still
- washing wkly with hair shed curbing shampoo (don't think its working). Will try Groganics line and see how it works
- went to have blood work and thyroid, iron (outside norm but not quite anemic), testosterone (low side of norm) so...thats done. Not sure whats next. Derm and Endo next i guess.
- moisterizing nightly.
- growth aids on temples and nape. Forget nape sometimes.
- special attn to crown
- low manip
- taking vits daily (changed from ultra hair to groganics vits for almost a month. Will see)
- recently clipped another 2 inches (ends thin from hair fallout. Still between bsl and mbl)

Tonight I decided to do a rollerset and I love love love the way it came out :grin:!!! This is my best one yet and I did 3 things differently: 1. used a round bristle brush 2. used Jane Carter's Condition and Set 3. used CHI Straight Guard. I know it's fluffy and not as smooth as it could have been, but I love it all the more for that.

Girl I like it too, I love the fullness and the sublte curls, nice job!

Hi all!! Checking in!

So, I have swim class 3 days a week and for me it's been tough trying to figure out what do.

I have noticed a lot of shedding ( probably due to streching) and I'm experience some breakage (short hairs). Not a lot of short hairs but some is defintely enough!
So basically I focused on a protein treatment and some moisture.

So I deep conditioned with a protein treatment and then afterwards I used some moisturizing conditioner. I did not leave the moisturizing conditioner on as long. Lastly, I used infusium 23 protein leave in.

My hair does feel much stronger. If anyone has any advice on taking care of relaxed hair and avoiding cholorine damage~it would be highly appreciated!

Checking in: This challenge has really helped me to stay focused! I can't wait for my next length check. :grin:

I've been M.I.A from this challenge :look:. I was on hiatus for a while though and forgot about it, tbh.

Anyway, I've been mainly trying to keep things low-manip. I've been finding moisture is key for me to have easy detangling, easy styling etc. If I don't stay on top of that then my hair gets dry quickly and harder to manage and that leads to problems.

One thing I realised though is that I hate my hair loose for too long. I'm thinking about braiding up for the rest of the year. I know it's possible for me to retain length without braids now that I've gone without for many months. However, I really do not think I retain as much even though I seem to put in 5x more effort to do so. It seems low-manip when my hair is loose just isn't low-manip enough for me at this stage. I'm hoping that will change when my hair is longer. I'm going back to start the C&G method in 1-2 weeks, taking a few breaks as needed and then continuing on until the end of the year.

My hair is back to at least the length before my cut in December. I'm just under 14" from root to tip. Since the top of bra is around 12.5" from my nape and my waist is around 18", I count mbl as around 15". So hopefully I will have made it by mid-year.

Hi Ladies!

it's been a while, but i'm still trudging along.....

i'm just centimeters from apl now, so bsl and mbl are becoming more and more my real focus now.

i don't want to hit apl then think i'm done, lol! i know i've still got a ways to go.....

i'm doing ALOT less manipulation nowadays, though.

i used to comb my hair 5 maybe 10 times a day (when i wore it out more).
now, i've been in a ps daily style (which means i only comb it in the morning and finger smooth it into silk scarf bedtime sets), since feb. 8th., WHICH IS ALREADY A RECORD FOR ME!

i never thought i could ps for even a week straight, but i just took it a day at a time.
now, i find it "easier" to keep my hair like this AND retain my length, too!

that's thanks to everything i'm learning on here!
hhj ladies!

Checking in.....:grin:

I've been protective styling, dcing weekly, and cowashing! I relaxed my hair 03/13/2010 so I am going to jump back on MT/BT tomorrow:yep: I will be doing my weekly dc this coming Sunday!

Hi all!! Checking in!

My hair does feel much stronger. If anyone has any advice on taking care of relaxed hair and avoiding cholorine damage~it would be highly appreciated!

Do you use a swim cap? Do you put conditioner on your hair prior to getting in the pool? I recall reading that putting some kind of conditioner on your hair prior to getting into the water, whether chlorinated (pool) or salted (ocean), helps protect your strands.

checking in..... I am ssssssssssoooooo loving my L'Occitane Aromachologie Shampoo and Repairing Hair Mask right now that it just ain't right!!!! Last night I

1. Pre-poo'd with Burt's Bees Avocado Butter Treatment
2. Poo'd with L'Occitane Aromachologie Shampoo
3. Conditioned under a plastic cap for about 15 or so minutes with the Repairing Mask
4. Air-dried in a single plait pony with Rusk Smoother Leave-In and a little John Frieda Frizz Ease.
5. Hair is soft and smells heavenly.....oh yeah and I applied some JBCO to my roots after about 85% dry with a little NTM Silk Touch to the remaining length.

Back