MBL 2010

Uh, can I join? I had a set back. I went to the danm Dominicans and they jacked me up. I am back to being a BS. I'm trying to be full MBL by the end of the year:grin:

Sure, welcome to the club!!!! Sorry to hear about the setback

Girl, I know exactly what you mean! I too, have had a run in with a Dominican salon in my area. Haven't been back since. You just gave me flashbacks! :nono:

Glad you're joining the challenge!:grin:

Uh, can I join? I had a set back. I went to the danm Dominicans and they jacked me up. I am back to being a BS. I'm trying to be full MBL by the end of the year:grin:

I just cowashed the small braids I converted from my twists. I must say that I'm loving them :grin:. They're so long!!!!! They fall a little past my shoulders, and they've never been this long before. Apparently I'm doing something right! lol!
The plan (for the moment) is to keep them in for 4-6 weeks cowashing once a week and keeping them in a bun since I'm still in the bunning challenge until May.

Sorry to hear that. I only trust two ladies at the Dominican salon I go to...one is BSL/relaxed and the other is MBL/natural. Took me forever to find them, too.

I actually decided the other day that there is no point in trying to make it to MBL if I don't enjoy every bit of the journey, so on Tuesday when I take these crochet braids out (that will be 3 weeks exactly) I will wet bun for a few days then go get a Dominican blowout. I'll then do a length check on the 13th, the midpoint of my 6 month HYH. I haven't seen my hair straight since the day before my accident, so December 4th...and I miss my hair!

I figure after I get that out of my system, I'll be able to go into senegalese twists with no issues since I will be itching to PS again. I just need to swang somethin' real quick...:lachen:

Girl, I know exactly what you mean! I too, have had a run in with a Dominican salon in my area. Haven't been back since. You just gave me flashbacks! :nono:

Glad you're joining the challenge!:grin:

Girlllll, I was listening to my co-workers. A couple of them came to work with their hair all purrrttyyy and I was in a long stretch and wanted my hair to be pretty for my bf's bday. The rest is history:drunk:

Sorry to hear that. I only trust two ladies at the Dominican salon I go to...one is BSL/relaxed and the other is MBL/natural. Took me forever to find them, too.

I actually decided the other day that there is no point in trying to make it to MBL if I don't enjoy every bit of the journey, so on Tuesday when I take these crochet braids out (that will be 3 weeks exactly) I will wet bun for a few days then go get a Dominican blowout. I'll then do a length check on the 13th, the midpoint of my 6 month HYH. I haven't seen my hair straight since the day before my accident, so December 4th...and I miss my hair!

I figure after I get that out of my system, I'll be able to go into senegalese twists with no issues since I will be itching to PS again. I just need to swang somethin' real quick...:lachen:

Uh, I hear ya but remember you're on a mission.Trust me I know how you feel but trust me when you reach MB that wait will be so much worth it. :yep: So, get your Blow out, enjoy it for a min and then back to PS:rolleyes:

That was my first time going to a Dominican salon in like...NEVER....:lachen:I usually do my own hair. I"m glad to be in the challenge!!!!

*off to add MBL 2010 to my siggy":grin:

Uh, I hear ya but remember you're on a mission.Trust me I know how you feel but trust me when you reach MB that wait will be so much worth it. :yep: So, get your Blow out, enjoy it for a min and then back to PS:rolleyes:

That was my first time going to a Dominican salon in like...NEVER....:lachen:I usually do my own hair. I"m glad to be in the challenge!!!!

So, so true. If I have a single, solitary second thought before I walk in the salon...I will just take that as a sign to run far, far away!

These braids are coming out tomorrow and I have been itching to take them out since Thursday. Thank goodness I didn't feel good today (well, for my hair's sake) because I would have been all OVER that avocado I bought last night!

Speaking of which, I'm off to stalk some DC recipes that involve avocado now...

I've reinstalled another set of crochet braids and I plan to use the cornrows underneath this as a low manipulation style to grow out my hair to MBL! :)

I haven't checked in a while. I've been really busy. I'm still doing my regimen and trucking along until I get to MBL. I flat ironed my hair for the first time since Dec. 2009. I will say that I am BSB but won't claim until I am do my touch up in April. I wear my bra low so when I get to it, I think I can safely say I am MBL. Hopefully by Aug I should be there if not really close.

picture.php

Last edited:

I'm sorry about your setback, I think I would be in tears. Concerning the bolded is why I'm scared to go to a Dominican salon. My at home look might not be as sleek, but at least I know my hair didn't take a beating.

Checking in. I'm off heat until next fall. Will be doing braid outs. I know I've said I'm off heat before but I mean it this time!

If I ever, ever, mention putting small braids or twists into my hair, someone e-slap me :hardslap:!! I cannot do the take down for small braids, and my hair can't take the manipulation. I know this :wallbash: and I still do it!! I'm sitting here now with less than half of my head upbraided and I am so done :nono:. Does my hair benefit from this? NO! My hair hates this. le sigh. I'll take care of the rest tomorrow.

By the way. Kellum and Southernbella, y'all have some beautiful hair :yep:.

still going strong with the challange!!! Goals this year, achieve major length, take care of ends, and stay away from heat!! progres pics comin as soon as i get a new camera!! Good luck to all as well!

It took 3 hours but I finally got my braids out :rolleyes:. Now I'm going to be back to wash n'go buns and regular twist buns. No small braids or small twists anytime soon, thank you very much :nono:.

I tried my new Green Tea and Hibiscus conditioner from shescentit tonight and I love it :yep:! Better than the Avocado condish and just under the Honey Rinse.

I need to take some more pics once I straighten again. I'm still hoping to get there by the end of the year!

Oh my.... I remember the days when you were relaxed, those were the days. Your head of hair was gorgeous!!! Now, look at ya all natural and shutting it down again!!! Ok does anybody here remember her relaxed hair??? Look at her natural hair! it IS beautiful! I am so proud of you and look at your accomplishment! Great job! ok, im done...(cute bra)

Ok, so I got my blowout....and I'm disappointed.

Not because my hair was damaged by my stylist, because it actually turned out FABULOUS...but my ends are so thin and scraggly looking, despite this HYH I have been on. I definitely gained some growth since my last length check in November and I really think making it to BSL by June is no problem, but I am 1" from BSL and I need a 1" trim, so I guess that technically makes me 2" from BSL. I haven't decided whether I'm going to get that trim now or later since I will not be wearing my hair straight again for a few months. I really think braids are not my friend, in the sense that they thin my hair out, which is something I realized before I even knew what healthy hair was...so I will stick with my plan to go into senegalese twists and rethink the crochet braids. Pics below.

P.S. Can anyone offer an opinion on where MBL is for me? Looking more closely, I feel like I may have one strand scraping BSB (judging by my actual shoulder blades), but I would like someone else's opinion.

102_0951-vi.jpg

102_0952-vi.jpg

(I posted the second pic so you can get a better view of my ends.)

Making a comp photo now...I may post it later.

Ok, so I got my blowout....and I'm disappointed.

Not because my hair was damaged by my stylist, because it actually turned out FABULOUS...but my ends are so thin and scraggly looking, despite this HYH I have been on. I definitely gained some growth since my last length check in November and I really think making it to BSL by June is no problem, but I am 1" from BSL and I need a 1" trim, so I guess that technically makes me 2" from BSL. I haven't decided whether I'm going to get that trim now or later since I will not be wearing my hair straight again for a few months. I really think braids are not my friend, in the sense that they thin my hair out, which is something I realized before I even knew what healthy hair was...so I will stick with my plan to go into senegalese twists and rethink the crochet braids. Pics below.

P.S. Can anyone offer an opinion on where MBL is for me? Looking more closely, I feel like I may have one strand scraping BSB (judging by my actual shoulder blades), but I would like someone else's opinion.

102_0951-vi.jpg

102_0952-vi.jpg

(I posted the second pic so you can get a better view of my ends.)

Making a comp photo now...I may post it later.

I don't think your ends look that bad. Your ends may appear thin because your hair is growing and the other hair hasn't caught up yet. At the most i would think 1/2" trim would be good.

Your hair is almost BSB. I would say you need at least 1 1/2" to be BSB. I wouldn't go by your bra. You wear your low like I do mine. I think when you get to the bottom of your bra you will be MBL. When you pass the bra you will be full MBL. Overall I think your hair looks good. Its good that you know your hair and know that braids are not for you. That will save you from a set back.

I don't think your ends look that bad. Your ends may appear thin because your hair is growing and the other hair hasn't caught up yet. At the most i would think 1/2" trim would be good.

Your hair is almost BSB. I would say you need at least 1 1/2" to be BSB. I wouldn't go by your bra. You wear your low like I do mine. I think when you get to the bottom of your bra you will be MBL. When you pass the bra you will be full MBL. Overall I think your hair looks good. Its good that you know your hair and know that braids are not for you. That will save you from a set back.
ok, cool. i finally figured out that MBL is the bottom of my bra, but i was still confused by BSB/BSL. you also just saved 1/2" of my hair from being snipped off...thanks!

you know i'm still thinking about getting yarn braids because of you, DESPITE what i said about braids not being my thing. maybe i will do yarn twists - idk, but your thread was the BUSINESS!

Hi ladies!

Nothing going on here - same ole, same ole. Being patient is the hardest part for me. Wish I could go to sleep and wake up later in the year at MBL. Hair VanWinkle.

I haven't updated in awhile..I am still hoping for MBL by the end of the year but I did a major cut in January so it will be a miracle if I make it. If I can get back to BSL by the end of October. I might barely make MBL.

I'd be alright if I didn't length check every time I get out of the shower. Am I really expecting to notice a difference from day to day? :lachen: I really need to focus on keeping my face in check. Using all these oils in my hair is causing my face to break out on the side that I sleep on. Anybody else have that? I change my pillowcase and scarf daily. what ta do? What ta do? :crazy:

ok, cool. i finally figured out that MBL is the bottom of my bra, but i was still confused by BSB/BSL. you also just saved 1/2" of my hair from being snipped off...thanks!

you know i'm still thinking about getting yarn braids because of you, DESPITE what i said about braids not being my thing. maybe i will do yarn twists - idk, but your thread was the BUSINESS!

Glad I could save your hair from the scissors. Try doing just a light dusting to give your hair time to catch up. Then reassess in about 3 months. If your ends have filled in then you know your other hair has caught up. If it is still the same then you know you need to trim a little.

Thanks, I loved my yarn braids. I will be doing them again, probably this summer. I kept them in for a month only because I didn't have time to redo them. I tell you those things hold on to moisture like nobody’s business. My hair was so soft and moist when I took them out. I was like wow. I didn't have any breakage at all and my ends were fine. Taking them out was a beast though since I had to pretty much unravel by hand. Other than that I loved them.

No more escaping today...I will relax this evening. This will be my first relaxer of the year. My last one was in December and I will post a pic as soon as I get home from the salon.

My hair's so soft y'all :grin:. My hair's at the point were I don't need a leave-in for my hair to be soft all day. I can cowash and go and have fab hair. I don't even DC after shampooing :blush:. I need to get back to cowashing and bunning every 3 days. This, combined with Shescentit products, is what got my hair to this point of health :yep:

Okay so I relaxed on Thursday and I have a pic for you ladies. I have the infamous "v" shape now so I can tell that there is a little growth

march2010.jpg

Checking in for today............ I put some AOGPB on dry hair this morning with a plastic shower cap over it and tied down with my hair scarf that has a plastic insert. I rinsed my hair after about 5 hours and co-washed with Aussie Moist. My NG is popping (chalk it up to the protein) but soft. After applying some Rusk Smoother and a little John Frieda Frizz Ease I'm now air-drying in a single plait ponytail. When I get to about 80% dry I'm going to apply my JBCO, a little NTM Silk Touch and finish it off with EVCO.

Checking in. I did a prepoo with garlic infused coconut oil & washed & DCed with Giovanni Smooth as Silk. I'm airdrying with two plaits under a scarf. I really need a protein treatment so I'm going to co-wash in a few days & do a protein treatment & a nettle tea rinse.

My longest layer is touching the top of my brastrap finally.

Back