Marriage Is Dying

I think once the welfare system came and men couldn’t be in the home, that was a big part of it. Now that it has gone on for so many generations, it is pretty much ingrained in the culture. Black men aren’t shamed and shunned by the community if they don’t marry. White men, Asian men, even Latino men know that getting married is part and parcel of the grown up package and they act accordingly.

instead of focusing on marriage, society should be focused on teaching men and women how to love and what that process entails. how can any marriage be successful when most of us are conditioned and have the wrong idea about what love is? society is so backwards.

I don't have any commentary for the thread topic overall, but I do for what's quoted.

Not to sound ntpicky, I think it's best to refrain from comparing cultures. I understand not all groups are homogenous, but I hear (read really) the horrors of being married within the Hispanic and Asian cultures. Those unions sometimes comes packaged with a life of servitude to husbands and inlaws, not to mention having an arranged marriage to begin with. So naw.

Let's keep it within the family. For our diaspora where can we find examples of healthy and successful coupling?

I don't have any commentary for the thread topic overall, but I do for what's quoted.

Not to sound ntpicky, I think it's best to refrain from comparing cultures. I understand not all groups are homogenous, but I hear (read really) the horrors of being married within the Hispanic and Asian cultures. Those unions sometimes comes packaged with a life of servitude to husbands and inlaws, not to mention having an arranged marriage to begin with. So naw.

Let's keep it within the family. For our diaspora where can we find examples of healthy and successful coupling?
i think jada's red table talk is a good start although i think their marriage is a hollywood marriage so its a bit unconventional.

i'm not sure of any other black couple who approaches marriage from a similar standpoint, though im sure there has to be others. maybe barack and michelle? but they are super unconventional too.

i think jada's red table talk is a good start although i think their marriage is a hollywood marriage so its a bit unconventional.

i'm not sure of any other black couple who approaches marriage from a similar standpoint, though im sure there has to be others. maybe barack and michelle? but they are super unconventional too.
@C@ssandr@ i think iman shumpert and teyana taylor are positive examples too. i just watched their gq couples quiz and some clips from their tv show and they are adorable. you can tell she feels comfortable around him because he loves her for who she is.

Back