Marriage Is Dying

Kindheart

DR. KEITH ABLOW: Cameron Diaz Is Right -- 4 Reasons Why Marriage IS a Dying Institution
By | Fox News
Actress Cameron Diaz, 38, was quoted this week declaring marriage a “dying institution.”Ms. Diaz added, “I don’t think we should live our lives in relationships based off old traditions that don’t suit our world any longer.”

Well, I’m not certain marriage ever did suit most people who tried it. From what I hear in my psychiatry office, and from what I hear from other psychiatrists and psychologists, and from what my friends and relatives tell me and show me through their behavior, and from the fact that most marriages end either in divorce or acrimony, marriage is (as it has been for decades now) a source of real suffering for the vast majority of married people.

To go further, I would venture that 90 percent of the married patients I speak with would rank their marriages in the top two stressors in their lives, while only 10 percent would rank their marriages as one of the top two sources of strength in their lives.

As a healer, I can’t help looking askance at anything that depletes energy, optimism, mood and passion to the extent that marriage does. It is, without a doubt, one of the leading causes of major depression in the nation.

In my opinion there are four important social, cultural and psychological reasons marriage causes so much pain.

First, the involvement of the state in marriage has been a colossal mistake. The granting of marriage licenses by government debases an institution which is actually the proper domain of churches, temples and other entities focused on God and Spirit. Government involvement means that love and commitment become sterile, linked to legislation and weighted down with legal implications that are psychologically suffocating. Smart, aware people feel consciously or unconsciously disempowered from the moment they say, “I do.”

I wanted to marry my wife, not the governor of Massachusetts or a Superior Court Judge.

The government, in fact, should have no role in marriage, whatsoever. There should be no income tax distinction between married and single people. Each person should file as an individual. That would simplify the debate about same sex marriage (or marriage between three people—which I guarantee you is in the offing), because the state would be out of the marriage business entirely. Laws should exist, instead, that simply commit parents to financially support their biological children. Beyond that, it should be left to the individuals involved (husbands and wives) to go see their priests or ministers or rabbis about getting married and to then go see lawyers to write any financial contracts between them that they wish to.

Getting government out of our marriages would do a lot to make them feel less confining.

A second reason marriage is a dying institution is the invention of oral contraception. Once human beings understood that they could express themselves emotionally, romantically and sexually without necessarily creating multiple families and perilously dividing their assets, the psychological pain of living without sexual passion (even by choice) was significantly intensified. And, make no mistake about it, marriage that includes cohabitation is a really tough environment in which to preserve such passion. The vast, vast majority of men and women, in fact, are no longer physically attracted to their spouses after five or ten years (that’s being kind), if they have seen one another most of that time. Human beings just are not built to desire one another once we have flossed in the same room a hundred times and shared a laundry basket for thousands of days.

Very few normal people who live together for long enough want to keep on doing it. Roommates tire of each other. Sons and daughters grow up and move out. Siblings end up at each other’s throats.

To give marriage a chance at long-lived passion, couples now need to build in space from one another and time apart.

They need to work very hard to stay interesting to one another, not just stay around one another. Too few couples are determined to do this, and it is very, very difficult, in any case.

The third reason marriage is a dying institution is because it inherently deprives men and women of the joy of being “chosen” on a daily basis. It’s natural to like the feeling of being wanted (most people thirst for it), and the fact that leaving a marriage involves “lawyering up” and suffering greatly means that most husbands and wives have to wonder whether their spouses really want to stay, or simply don’t want to go through the hassle of leaving. If it were a relatively simple process to decide to live apart (and honor a financial contract for the support of children), then we might actually exert more effort to be attractive to our spouses for longer. We might appreciate the fact that they’re still around.

Fourth, our collective experience with marriages failing in such great numbers is itself one of the reasons the institution is dying. No one likes being part of a group of hypocrites. The fact that millions of Americans take vows to stay in marriages for life, then leave those marriages—once, twice, maybe three times—has so trivialized and mocked those vows that many silently chuckle to themselves while listening to them. Once enough divorced parents have wept with joy at the placing of rings on the fingers of their daughters or daughters-in-law, the backbone of marriage as an institution must snap.

It’s only a matter of time now. Marriage will fade away. We should be thinking about what might replace it. We should come up with something that improves the quality of our lives and those of our children. And we should keep government out of it, if we know what’s good for us.

Dr. Keith Ablow is a psychiatrist and member of the Fox News Medical A-Team. He is a New York Times best-selling author, and co-author, with Glenn Beck, of the bestselling book “The 7: Seven Wonders that Will Change Your Life.” Dr. Ablow can be reached at [email protected].

meh to the article.

Yup some should just say they're jaded. People are hurting and afraid to risk and take a leap because you have to actually put your trust into an individual. But the same people who spout this b.s are the same ones running around saying I do 99 percent of the time when asked. And even the guys running from marriage change their tune in the end as they start facing a certain age and whip around trying to find love. I think it's because everyone wants to play it safe, and they want to make choices that they can trust. They want to analyze every move they make but not everything can be analyzed. And then there's the whole choosing someone else and how that can affect your life for better or for worse, so you have to choose wisely. The weight of marriage scares some and so here flies the excuses. And all the talk of divorce omits the fact that the rate of divorce is diminishing and it is not as huge a percentage (divorce) as people mentioned in the past. But no one wants to report on that, or the steps that can be taken to make better choices in order to ensure a lower possibility of divorce: Age of marriage, education level, etc.

Marriage is a big deal of course and so that's why people are trying to diminish it. But they also realize that it is a big deal that can be a good thing which is why the same people who talk crap are also jumping when asked. The weight comes because when we marry, we have to put our trust into someone else and that is super scary to some which is why they come up with solutions such as having kids out of wed lock but not being "ready" for marriage, or saying marriage isn't anything but a piece of paper (but meanwhile they're afraid to sign that silly piece of paper that isn't supposed to be anything really,, right?). Finally there are those waiting for "something better" and that's the reason for the wait until they find there isn't anything better and then scurry to marry at that time after lecturing others about how unimportant and a dying institution marriage is anyways. And of course there are some who really don't want to get married but like others mentioned a lot of us need to be honest because all of this "convincing" is b.s that is disingenuous, and the minute people like Cameron are asked, they marry up and kim. I'm sure if her marriage doesn't work out, she'll be back to calling it a dying institution :rolleyes: until she's snapped up again. I'm not going to waste my time or energy on her previous thoughts that were b.s or this article and a psychologist that is trying to normalize the idea of people living single lives. For all I know their jaded butt will haul butt down the aisle when asked (or asking) after they have a change of heart (and after they've convinced others of the death of marriage) and will forget to write the "I changed my mind" article just like Cameron has opted not to speak on the her changing her tune and why. As for marriage: There's a reason it's been around for hundreds of years in various cultures. Just because something is new (the idea of a dying institution) and different doesn't make it better.

Last edited:
Marriage is the perfect container for a healthy relationship. I have never seen marriage in and of itself as a problem but like any container what you put into it makes all the difference. The problem isn't marriage, the problem can appear when people look at the label to define a thing instead of the contents. Label promiscuity, boredom, societal pressure, appearances, politics, selfishness marriage you have the article above. You and your spouse put holiness, respect, encouragement, growing together, learning together, common goals, trust, love, kindness, unity, order, permanence, fidelity, self awareness, honesty, commitment whatever key things that are healthy and you desire in your marriage, then a real marriage is what you end up with. It not the label it's the ingredients.

Last edited:
I completely understand that there are women who legitimately don't want to get married for their own reasons but I am tickled by the vocal subset of that group who have a drastic change of heart as soon as someone actually asks them to get married.
*cough* Nia Long....lol. There’s a WW I used to work with that had 4 kids and wasn’t married. Everyone used to ask her why not and she said because her parents never were so she didn’t see the big deal. Yet on IG recently I see her and her long time BD (who went out on permanent disability from his job last year BTW) tied the knot. So that tells me all I need to know and then some. :rolleyes:

*cough* Nia Long....lol. There’s a WW I used to work with that had 4 kids and wasn’t married. Everyone used to ask her why not and she said because her parents never were so she didn’t see the big deal. Yet on IG recently I see her and her long time BD (who went out on permanent disability from his job last year BTW) tied the knot. So that tells me all I need to know and then some. :rolleyes:

Lol..... obviously BD didn’t see any value in marriage until he needed to secure a more permanent source of income for himself.

The fact that she accepted under such a circumstance with no benefit to herself is telling, like you said.

Folks got mad at me but I knew Nia was lying. I’ma throw an honorable mention to Monica even though she wasn’t running her mouth like Nia. Marriage wasn’t important when Rocko wasn’t asking for 10 years. Monica dated Shannon like 8 minutes and boom wedding.

Folks got mad at me but I knew Nia was lying. I’ma throw an honorable mention to Monica even though she wasn’t running her mouth like Nia. Marriage wasn’t important when Rocko wasn’t asking for 10 years. Monica dated Shannon like 8 minutes and boom wedding.
Put it like this any woman who has more than 1 child singing this tune, I call malarkey. Lol

DR. KEITH ABLOW: Cameron Diaz Is Right -- 4 Reasons Why Marriage IS a Dying Institution

The timing of this article tickled me.

Cameron Diaz ‘Feels So Much Better’ Since Marrying Benji Madden: ‘He Is Her Equal’
Ale Russian
4 hrs ago

Cameron Diaz is happy living her quiet life with husband Benji Madden.

The couple, who married in an intimate ceremony at her home in Jan. 2015, rarely step out together, with Diaz, 46, shying away from the spotlight even more than her rocker husband, 40. A source tells PEOPLE that Diaz is happier than ever with the Good Charlotte band member.

“Cameron feels so much better about everything since she married Benji,” the source tells PEOPLE. “She had many years of dating high profile hunks. She found a different kind of man in Benji. He is her equal and respects her.“

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/cel...-madden-he-is-her-equal/ar-BBVfCvY?ocid=ientp

More of my friends/associates around my age are married then my older family members so idk. Then again looking at people I know younger than me and ain't looking so great.

I recently ran down the list of family members I know that are single moms or dads and thought about the last time someone in the family got married. Been a good decade I'd say. So again .. Idk lol.

Put it like this any woman who has more than 1 child singing this tune, I call malarkey. Lol
I don’t know. I’ve been married, and don’t want to be married anymore. Having kids is tough period, with or without marriage. I don’t wish to be partnered with anyone, since I like doing things a certain way, my way. Marriage requires compromise and having to adjust to someone else’s beliefs and ways of living. I have seen divorced women/single mothers become more financially successful and happy overall, than married women, since the only person to rely on concerning those things are them. There is nobody to point the finger at when things don’t go right, or unhappiness sets in.

It’s all about perception and how one views things.
I grew up in a two-parent middle class family. Never wanted or struggled for anything financially as a child. I saw the good and the bad of marriage. So again perception is everything.

I don’t know. I’ve been married, and don’t want to be married anymore. Having kids is tough period, with or without marriage. I don’t wish to be partnered with anyone, since I like doing things a certain way, my way. Marriage requires compromise and having to adjust to someone else’s beliefs and ways of living. I have seen divorced women/single mothers become more financially successful and happy overall, than married women, since the only person to rely on concerning those things are them. There is nobody to point the finger at when things don’t go right, or unhappiness sets in.

It’s all about perception and how one views things.
I grew up in a two-parent middle class family. Never wanted or struggled for anything financially as a child. I saw the good and the bad of marriage. So again perception is everything.
I appreciate your perspective.I grew up in a single parent home and my mom was broke and over worked. I was left alone constantly and my father was not involved. So to blatantly do this alone time and time again doesn’t make sense. I have yet to find a regular round the way woman with multiple baby daddies do extremely well emotionally or financially in the long run. That’s why I specifically said 1 child MAYBE 2. But I really don’t believe anyone playing house with a dude and living with him for years will say no if he popped the question.

I have no children and I’m single btw. And I’m ok with never getting married and having children.

i don't see this in my age group or circle at all. most people are either married or engaged and those who are single want to get married and we're youngish.

I appreciate your perspective.I grew up in a single parent home and my mom was broke and over worked. I was left alone constantly and my father was not involved. So to blatantly do this alone time and time again doesn’t make sense. I have yet to find a regular round the way woman with multiple baby daddies do extremely well emotionally or financially in the long run. That’s why I specifically said 1 child MAYBE 2. But I really don’t believe anyone playing house with a dude and living with him for years will say no if he popped the question.

I have no children and I’m single btw. And I’m ok with never getting married and having children.
I’ll take it a step further and say any woman living with a man and not wanting to get married is a side-eye of concern! Lol it doesn’t make sense.
And I hear you on what you shared. Children benefit better in a healthy two-parent married household.
Being single is a cool thing, so I’m with you on that!

Marriage isn't looked at in our community as necessary anymore. For decades now our people have been marrying less and less. I have female family members who are a generation behind me who have multiple children by different men and have never been married. Whereas those of us 40+ have been married at least once. In my opinion young people don't see it as a big deal.

My DD recently stated to me that young people don't see marriage as important as my age group does. Yet she has noted numerous times how her young Asian and clear friends were literally in their freshman year of college marrying and purchasing homes. Makes me wonder why we don't see the benefit?

Back