Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2024

What problem are you looking to resolve so you CAN have Luscious, Healthy Ends in 2024?

• Total voters
Ya'll I think I may have found my new hairstylist!!! My hair was in bad need of a trim. It's been months since this past summer when I last sat in a salon chair for a trim. That was a awful experience that scared me so terribly that I was too scared to book another appointment with anyone. Today I wanted to treat myself so I called a salon I had gone in the past and they had an opening!
The hairstylist was nice and knowledgeable. She took photos of my hair so I could clearly see what needed to be trimmed. I felt very comfortable in her chair. I loved how my hair turned out. I felt so pretty. :gorgeous:
LOOK at that blindingly bright, gleaming shine on that gorgeous hair! If your hair had a mouth, it would speak and sing because whoever that stylist was she brought out an incredible vibrancy in your hair.

Wow!

1708002184940.png

How much did you end up cutting off? Your hair looks longer in the final photo than in the first. She did a great job!
In the before photo, it looks as if she has her chin closer to her chest and she is looking down and not leaning back as much. Thus, the hair was longer in reality than it is displayed in the photo. Also, in the first picture it looks like the longer parts of the hair, the ends, are close to if not at or beyond bra- strap length.

In the after photo, it looks like her chin is raised higher up in the second photo than in the second photo and the head is going back slightly more. Also, in the after picture, the hair looks to be now about 2 to 4 inches above bra strap.

This photo shows perfectly why I don't think it is necessary to cut off ALL of somebody's hair to have a beautiful, healthy result! The stylist who did the hair of @Meritamen is DEFINITELY a keeper. She's the type of stylist with whom you could grow your hair to waist length and beyond.

Ya'll I think I may have found my new hairstylist!!! My hair was in bad need of a trim. It's been months since this past summer when I last sat in a salon chair for a trim. That was a awful experience that scared me so terribly that I was too scared to book another appointment with anyone. Today I wanted to treat myself so I called a salon I had gone in the past and they had an opening!
The hairstylist was nice and knowledgeable. She took photos of my hair so I could clearly see what needed to be trimmed. I felt very comfortable in her chair. I loved how my hair turned out. I felt so pretty. :gorgeous:
She did an excellent job! Your hair looks longer and thicker after the cut and style than before.

How much did you end up cutting off? Your hair looks longer in the final photo than in the first. She did a great job!
I'm not even sure. I don't think she cut that much off because I was a bit hesitant about cutting off everything. Maybe an inch? When I do a quick stretch of my hair in the back it's still past APL so I'm happy with that.
Sigh, still in that in-between APL/ BSL purgatory. lol

LOOK at that blindingly bright, gleaming shine on that gorgeous hair! If your hair had a mouth, it would speak and sing because whoever that stylist was she brought out an incredible vibrancy in your hair.

Wow!
I know right! My hair looks better than my wigs!!

Looking at the state of my hair before the trim, I know I have to be serious about making some changes. Need to be consistent with taking my medications, to moisturize and seal on a regular basis, keep stress levels down, getting more regular trims/dustings, and I'm going back to wigs.

I realize waiting 6 months or more between trims is not working for me. I haven't made much progress in awhile because the SSKs and split ends eat up any progress I can make (especially because my hair grows slowly.) I knew it was bad but I had no idea my ends had thinned that much.
I also thought about when did I see the most progress and it was when I kept my hair in long-term protective styles like knotless braids, two-strand twists, or cornrows under a wig. I'm burnt out on the first two styles so I will return to wigs and see how that goes.

Another thing, if I'm not mistaken, it looks like in your before picture that the hair is combed back and there is no part. Where as in contrast, in the second picture there is a part or there are parts so some hair is to the sides.

If my observations are correct, here are some suggestions. Feel free to ignore this information. I am always open to correction, too!
  • If the hair is combed back, the thin ends at the nape are from two sources:
    • From the front and the sides​
    • From the nape​
  • Front and Sides: That suggests to me that possibly the way you are styling your hair in front may be placing stress on your ends on the sides of your hair and on the ends in the front. The ends there may need some gentle care and extra protection.
  • Nape: That suggests to me that you may be parting your hair down the middle of the back of your head from the crown to the nape. That may be stressing your hair. So, instead of parting hair from crown down to the nape in the middle, move that 'middle' part over an inch or two to the right or the left so there is no longer a middle part. All the hair in the middle can have a break and rest. That may give your hair time to fill in at the nape if it is not being parted in that area.

Another thing, if I'm not mistaken, it looks like in your before picture that the hair is combed back and there is no part. Where as in contrast, in the second picture there is a part or there are parts so some hair is to the sides.

If my observations are correct, here are some suggestions. Feel free to ignore this information. I am always open to correction, too!
  • If the hair is combed back, the thin ends at the nape are from two sources:
    • From the front and the sides​
    • From the nape​
  • Front and Sides: That suggests to me that possibly the way you are styling your hair in front may be placing stress on your ends on the sides of your hair and on the ends in the front. The ends there may need some gentle care and extra protection.
  • Nape: That suggests to me that you may be parting your hair down the middle of the back of your head from the crown to the nape. That may be stressing your hair. So, instead of parting hair from crown down to the nape in the middle, move that 'middle' part over an inch or two to the right or the left so there is no longer a middle part. All the hair in the middle can have a break and rest. That may give your hair time to fill in at the nape if it is not being parted in that area.
Wow, I think you're right. I was wondering why the middle the section looked more thin. I always part my hair straight down the middle from my front hairline to my nape for everything. Always.
I think the front of my hair may not have handled the knotless braids as well as the back did because my hair in the crown and front is finer. (Plus, I wasn't keeping up on my moisture game for months. :look:) I may have to cornrowing the front when I do buns because that's probably causing too much stress. Mmmm something to think about.
Thank you.

Wow, I think you're right. I was wondering why the middle the section looked more thin. I always part my hair straight down the middle from my front hairline to my nape for everything. Always.
I think the front of my hair may not have handled the knotless braids as well as the back did because my hair in the crown and front is finer. (Plus, I wasn't keeping up on my moisture game for months. :look:) I may have to cornrowing the front when I do buns because that's probably causing too much stress. Mmmm something to think about.
Thank you.
You are welcome!

Simple addition or tweak has shifted my hair world, again.

I use a spray bottle of very warm to hot water on my hair when I remove my braid to get ready for my pre-poo. The temperature of the water helps the hair to relax, which helps to soften and allow the hair to detangle easier.

My ends are still greasy and moist when I undo my week old braid. It is caked with product such as gel and Scurl, so the water also begins to help with the breakdown of product buildup. Product buildup can also entangle hair and worsen tangles or entrap hair.

There is no tearing of my hair. There is no snapping of my hair. There is no knotting of my hair. I am not getting a big ball of shedded hair (that I broke from brushing it when it was in a ponytail) when I take down my hair with my fingers.

I was destroying my hair with mechanical damage when I was using my brush daily to lay hair down during the week. Now, I use my brush 1x after I wash it to get the bun smoothed. That in itself is less damaging because the hair is completely loosened as I try to get it in a ponytail. Once in the ponytail is where the breakage is exacerbated if I brush it.

Using commercial shampoo, brushing, unraveling braids, and no weekly protein treatments, which are not only basic but fundamental hair activates, were messing up my ends.

I THINK I am on track, but the possibility that something else may pop-up is ever-present.

Your hair care regimen is not working in that your ends are not flourishing? RE-examen the most basic, basic parts of your process. This is so HARD to do because you can't see something as problematic when you BELIEVE that activity to be FUNDAMENTAL to your current success.

I just got a trim 2 weeks ago. Of course my ends are still perfect. My plan is to grow and retain these thick end over the next 6 months (I get a trim every 6 months).
From what I've seen of your hair, you always seem to have thick, full, healthy, thriving ends. Do they stay that way even when your hair drops to the next length, or are you maintaining your hair and keeping it trimmed to stay at the same length?

From what I've seen of your hair, you always seem to have thick, full, healthy, thriving ends. Do they stay that way even when your hair drops to the next length, or are you maintaining your hair and keeping it trimmed to stay at the same length?
As my hair grows longer it seems to look wispy and tapered. It has to be because of how fine my strands are. I had really coarse thick hair when I was younger. Now it’s so fine and manageable. Idk what happened.

I thought of another thing. Perhaps you may want to consider looking into finding a protein treatment or leave-in that works for your hair. I think a weekly leave-in protein after your wash and conditioning session might be a good start.
I've never use a protein treatment because I'm scared it will cause my hair to become brittle. So I don't know what ingredients or products to look for. Can a protein treatment help with single-strand knots?

As my hair grows longer it seems to look wispy and tapered. It has to be because of how fine my strands are. I had really coarse thick hair when I was younger. Now it’s so fine and manageable. Idk what happened.
Thank your for the information. I do understand that hair texture can change as we mature. I do want to add that although I too have had a change in my hair texture over time, that no matter the texture of my hair, when it drops to a new longer length, my hair is ALWAYS thinner and wispy at this new length.

My point is to communicate that maybe what you are seeing is not a problem. Perhaps it is an indication of a newer length being reached. So the question might be, 'How do I optimize this longer hair and keep it healthy and gain thickness at this newer length?"

I've never use a protein treatment because I'm scared it will cause my hair to become brittle. So I don't know what ingredients or products to look for. Can a protein treatment help with single-strand knots?
There are a couple things I think I am reading/hearing (I am ALWAYS open to correction and/or clarification if I am wrong.)
  1. I am going to jump out of the order you mentioned. Single strand knots problem is what is the reality for you in your current situation. Single strand knots come from unstretched hair that curls up on itself. Are you doing styles where the ends are curled and not immobilized and are free to move and roam? I suggest you examine your styling practices and look at what is happening to your ENDS within your style. Here is where butters, oils, waxes, focused on the ends can help with making hair 'sticky/gummy' so that ends are not given an opportunity to move about and are immobilized and KEPT in place.
  2. A protein treatment can help with ends in a global sense. Off the top of my head, I do not see a DIRECT correlation with the implementation of protein to ward off/to stop single strand knots. BUT, I will say to have healthy length YOU MUST clear out the single strand knots first with a trim and then, by immobilizing the ends of the hair, keep the ends from curling up on themselves and to keep the knot formation minimized. Lubrication on the ends helps with this too, and lubrication is in the same form as butters, oils and waxes.
  3. Single strand knots are DANGEROUS to hair health because they create EXTRA friction on the hair. The knots put 'bumps' in the road on the hair highway. The hair can no longer glide smoothly over other hair and the friction increases, which can increase splitting and then create complete breakage on the hair strand, in the very near future.
  4. Protein in this case would fortify the hair so that IF the hair gets knotted and/or if those bumps are there, the hair is strengthened and better able to handle those knots until you can understand the source problem of the knot formation and figure out how to eradicate your knot formation problem. The RIGHT protein product for your hair, used the right way, and used in the right frequency, can buy you and your hair more time until you can identify and stop the knot formation problem. The wrong protein product can dry the hair and exacerbate/worsen your hair woes.

What to look for as it relates to selection and use of protein treatments for your hair:
  1. I suggest the easiest thing is to look for the words, 'Protein Treatment, Protein Conditioner' on the product.
  2. The ingredients to look for are collagen, wheat protein, rice protein, silk protein, hydrolyzed soy/wheat/rice/collagen and the just the word protein.
  3. Since you DO NOT know how the product will impact your hair, I suggest you get a small sized product and ONLY put it in one definable, section of hair. Choose for example a section of hair at the bottom right of the nape. ONLY put the product there in that same place and document and observe the look, feel and strength of that section over time with use of that protein product that you have selected. Do that for at least four (4) uses/applications of the product. If all is good, put it in the whole head. If it does not work, stop the product, toss it and look for another one and do the process.
    • Make sure you keep a record of:
    • the KIND of protein was in the product (Wheat, silk, etc) Different proteins affect different hair in different ways. Know thyself. Know thy own hair. Period.​
    • Where is the protein listed on the label, the order position of the protein in the ingredients list on the product label ( first ingredient, second ingredient, 9th ingredient) This will tell you concentration of protein within the product.​
    • How many other proteins are within the product. Write them down.​
  4. You can not let fear and lack of knowledge stop you from moving forward or trap you in inaction. These are process based actions you are taking based on ANALYSIS, not fear, not lack of action, not guess work. It may help get you out of fear, inaction and hopefully get you out of your cycle of breakage which starts with your single strand knots.

If something is not clear, please let me know. This is my opinion, no Gospel.

Listen to yourself. Trust yourself. Value those intuitive nudges as they relate to your hair and your product selections, style selections and treatments of your hair, because ultimately you wil reap the benefits and the consequences of your choices and actions and your lack of choices and lack of actions. It is this listening, trusting and analysis based processes that will help you identify the core issues of your hair problems, now and tomorrow based on knowledge and experiene, and give your the skills to resolve them with confidence no matter what may come up, in the future.

Last edited:
You did not ask me but strong proteins are too much on my hair too so I prefer amino acids or light proteins.

Amino acids are the ingredients of protein, but the difference is that they are not bonded together on a molecular level. Both are strengthening in different ways. I look at the difference like Legos. Amino acids are each lego and proteins are what happens when legos are snapped together to build something. If strong proteins are too strong on your hair you can try a product that is more amino acid instead of a stronger protein. I have used the discontinued Ouidad 12-minute deep treatment for years to achieve this it is more amino acid-based but has some proteins towards the bottom of the ingredient list (when I run out I have the Truss Amino Acid Miracle Spray next in line to test out, Kiehl also has an amino acid line I haven't tried). If heavier proteins harden your hair or make it feel brittle then you might just like lighter protein treatments compared to the heavier ones(think ApHogee leave-in l sprays as opposed to the 2-step treatment or an amino acid product instead.

Supple hair that is stretched develops fewer single-strand knots than drier hair that is given full freedom to coil into a knot. Keeping your hair internally supple(not just wet but hair that maintains soft suppleness when dried) helps prevent knots. Stretched hair that isn't allowed to coil into a knot works also. Some people do say that protein helps with SSK, but that is usually because the hair is fortified to hold onto the moisture it receives. If the structure of your hair has gaps then protein to fill that gap will help it hold moisture. If your hair doesn't(as in the damage caused by chemical services or notable mechanical/heat damage), then ceramides or amino acids may suit you better.

I feel like I need amino acids to buffer potentially damaging things I do to my hair when I comb, brush, use heat tools, or other things that would mechanically damage it. As a general rule, I prefer to patch up the damage I have already received with a protein. That said both have a place in my regimen, to do what they do best. Sometimes I need a buffer/routine maintenance (amino acid). Sometimes I need a patch/band-aid (protein). Sometimes I need repair(bond treatment). I hope that makes sense. I sometimes swap the categories. For example, sometimes I use olaplex or a protein conditioner as a buffer but I hope you get the gist. They each have helpful functions in a rotation.

Just my 2 cents I am not in the "challenge", in the sense that I will post and report results as often as I did last year, but I'm still rooting y'all on and will post sporadically.

Last edited:
Amino acids are each lego and proteins are what happens when legos are snapped together to build something.

oh-wow-196-x-196-gif-y0cbz7qtts41wl23.gif

What an AWESOME analogy!!

You did not ask me but strong proteins are too much on my hair too so I prefer amino acids or light proteins.

Amino acids are the ingredients of protein, but the difference is that they are not bonded together on a molecular level. Both are strengthening in different ways. I look at the difference like Legos. Amino acids are each lego and proteins are what happens when legos are snapped together to build something. If strong proteins are too strong on your hair you can try a product that is more amino acid instead of a stronger protein. I have used the discontinued Ouidad 12-minute deep treatment for years to achieve this it is more amino acid-based but has some proteins towards the bottom of the ingredient list (when I run out I have the Truss Amino Acid Miracle Spray next in line to test out, Kiehl also has an amino acid line I haven't tried). If heavier proteins harden your hair or make it feel brittle then you might just like lighter protein treatments compared to the heavier ones(think ApHogee leave-in l sprays as opposed to the 2-step treatment or an amino acid product instead.

Supple hair that is stretched develops fewer single-strand knots than drier hair that is given full freedom to coil into a knot. Keeping your hair internally supple(not just wet but hair that maintains soft suppleness when dried) helps prevent knots. Stretched hair that isn't allowed to coil into a knot works also. Some people do say that protein helps with SSK, but that is usually because the hair is fortified to hold onto the moisture it receives. If the structure of your hair has gaps then protein to fill that gap will help it hold moisture. If your hair doesn't(as in the damage caused by chemical services or notable mechanical/heat damage), then ceramides or amino acids may suit you better.

I feel like I need amino acids to buffer potentially damaging things I do to my hair when I comb, brush, use heat tools, or other things that would mechanically damage it. As a general rule, I prefer to patch up the damage I have already received with a protein. That said both have a place in my regimen, to do what they do best. Sometimes I need a buffer/routine maintenance (amino acid). Sometimes I need a patch/band-aid (protein). Sometimes I need repair(bond treatment). I hope that makes sense. I sometimes swap the categories. For example, sometimes I use olaplex or a protein conditioner as a buffer but I hope you get the gist. They each have helpful functions in a rotation.

Just my 2 cents I am not in the "challenge", in the sense that I will post and report results as often as I did last year, but I'm still rooting y'all on and will post sporadically.
Whatever and whenever you want to give, Imma take it!

Thank your for the information. I do understand that hair texture can change as we mature. I do want to add that although I too have had a change in my hair texture over time, that no matter the texture of my hair, when it drops to a new longer length, my hair is ALWAYS thinner and wispy at this new length.

My point is to communicate that maybe what you are seeing is not a problem. Perhaps it is an indication of a newer length being reached. So the question might be, 'How do I optimize this longer hair and keep it healthy and gain thickness at this newer length?"
That’s the billion dollar question. How can I optimize this longer hair and keep it healthy while the other strands catch up…

I got a new growth oil in the mail. Eelhoe. Strange name, but this is the best smelling growth oil I’ve tried.

That’s the billion dollar question. How can I optimize this longer hair and keep it healthy while the other strands catch up…

I got a new growth oil in the mail. Eelhoe. Strange name, but this is the best smelling growth oil I’ve tried.
Congratulations on finding the oil! New product finds can be such a joy.

One technique I use for my ends is to keep my new ends at this longer length. Then trim frequently snd keep my hair AT this length. Do not let anyone trim the longer hair BACK to a shorter length.

The theory of this process will keep /hold hair at this longer length and make it ‘wait’ there while the rest of the hair, the bulk of the hair, catches up to the newer longer length little by little.

it’s not a trim back technique. It’s a trim and keep it and hold hair at this newer length technique. You are ‘buying’ time and keeping that new hair healthy until the other hairs drop to this newer length.

Then, when the bulk of the hair reaches the new length, you let that ‘leading’ section of hair, which grows longer and drops in length before the majority of your hair, to drop to the new length. Then, repeat the process.

My Spidey Senses ...

1708847522003.png

This lady is in Spain and the video is completely in Spanish. I came upon it with a YouTube algorithm in my feed. I was astonished at how her hair looked initially in the the shower and the length she had when it was wet and brushed out. So, because I love hair, I continued to watch. It is the first video below.

Then I got to the second video.

BAM!!!!

Shea butter is in her mix.

My Spider Senses were tingling and jingling. You don't need to know Spanish to get what's happening. Shea butter is a Universal Black Girl Hair Language, Baby! Ya'll speak it.

Her YouTube channel name is Fina Y Tu.

Shea but strikes again. I should have known it when I came across her thumbnail.

Last edited:
I used to say that there are no magic hair products. For afro textured in part because of how we use it,
I am CONVINCED
that cottage industry
Shea Butter
is a
Magical Product.

1708848209781.png

Who gone fight me?

1708848145106.png

My Ends are so much more lovelier due to the magic of Shea Butter!

There's something else....

1708848603854.png

Shea butter provides and it's NOT in the Afterlife. It's in the here and now.
It truly does aid in hair growth.

Last edited:
Addressing thin ends process - Video indirectly addresses this topic and only briefly at the end of the video, about 30 seconds but it is still valuable as it relates to luscious ends.

Video title: I had to get on my knees to trim her hair
Channel name: Simply Tamika

I love this video for four (4) huge reasons!

1. Firstly, it discusses about trimming. It shows that you do NOT have to BUTCHER somebody ends and cut their hair from an extreme length back up to their throat. It embraces the philosophy of not traumatizing the client psychologically just 'because' you want a picture perfect result as a stylist>
  2. Secondly, at the end the stylist briefly discusses how to address thin ends and that you do have time to let the hair grow and thicken, and go back and trim until you get a thicker hemline.
  3. Thirdly, the stylist is LHCF 's very own Tamika who is known here as @dontspeakdefeat and can be found here: https://longhaircareforum.com/threads/tell-me-your-real-first-name.25054/#post-390381
  4. Fourthly, she has her own hair product line. Amazing!

Back