Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2024

What problem are you looking to resolve so you CAN have Luscious, Healthy Ends in 2024?

• Total voters
Thank you for the response and allowing me be nosy.
:lol: It isn't any problem. I was expecting more questions.

I will answer as if you did asked me more questions (lol). I only use a leave-in and K18 at this time because I found my hair does not like oils, butters or creams. Tried all types of combinations over the past 10+ years. If I used them, then I would have to use a harsher shampoo to remove it which then impacts all of my hair. Without them I can use gentle shampoos and do light cleansings. Switching my shampoos has led to my having twice the retention I had in the past 10 years trying to use oils, creams and butters. It used to take me 4 to 6 months to see if I was retaining anything. Now I can see the difference month to month.

I have found out leave-ins, water and gel work best. I just need to stop being lazy and do the double layering of leave-in. I will put that on my to do list for February.

I may eventually find something more water based that works better but that will come in time.

:lol: It isn't any problem. I was expecting more questions.

I will answer as if you did asked me more questions (lol). I only use a leave-in and K18 at this time because I found my hair does not like oils, butters or creams. Tried all types of combinations over the past 10+ years. If I used them, then I would have to use a harsher shampoo to remove it which then impacts all of my hair. Without them I can use gentle shampoos and do light cleansings. Switching my shampoos has led to my having twice the retention I had in the past 10 years trying to use oils, creams and butters. It used to take me 4 to 6 months to see if I was retaining anything. Now I can see the difference month to month.

I have found out leave-ins, water and gel work best. I just need to stop being lazy and do the double layering of leave-in. I will put that on my to do list for February.

I may eventually find something more water based that works better but that will come in time.
Oooo! Thank you for all this detail. This was good. Hair is so unique and one size absolutely does not fit all. I love reading about people's processes and successes through the fire because it is always insightful. The tiniest bit of information could literally shift one's hair world and skyrocket health and length. I always be watching, reading, listening and observing. You never know when that Rosetta Stone of hair information may cross your path. I'm ready and got my new glasses on with pen and pad in hand!

I trim in three sections.
  • I part my hair at the hair line, down the center of my head to my nape.
  • Then, use that center part and part my hair vertically going down from that center part, to just behind my ears. So I have a ponytail, and two sections on the left and ride sides of my head.
  • I smooth the back pony so the part is erased. I trim the very ends of the pony and the very ends of the two sections on the side.
  • That's it.

NANO! NANO!

View attachment 494251

:lachen:

And that is EXACTLY how I trim too - 3 ponytails, one back section and one on each side! I don't wear my hair out and straight often enough to care about having even hair. lol

I usually only dust but for some reason, I decided to slide that ponytail holder up some and cut off wayy too much! I'm hoping for the kind of progress you got from your July cut though!! :eyebrows2:

And that is EXACTLY how I trim too - 3 ponytails, one back section and one on each side! I don't wear my hair out and straight often enough to care about having even hair. lol

I usually only dust but for some reason, I decided to slide that ponytail holder up some and cut off wayy too much! I'm hoping for the kind of progress you got from your July cut though!! :eyebrows2:
What are you going to implement to try to get your length back? Do you have a plan in place or some things in mind?

What are you going to implement to try to get your length back? Do you have a plan in place or some things in mind?

I'mma leave it the heck alone!! :lachen:

I've been doing a personal HYH challenge. Cornrows or minitwists/braids kept under a satin cap pretty much 24/7. I only wear my hair out on occasion and then I cover it back up as soon as I get home.

I'm also planning to increase my DCing. I use A LOT of Ayurveda powders and oils for just about every step in my daily hair care regi and it's allowed me to be lazy about DCing. I'm trying to increase DCing to twice a month to see if there's a difference in the amount of hair that grow and/or retain this year.

Ooo, this is good to know that you do the same. I was surprised that this technique leaves my ends relatively even enough for a heat straightened style. I tried to get fancy and use that Fey Method and THAT was the cause of the demise and elimination of my length. NEVER EVER AGAIN. I keep it simple and we good.

Girl, I put one holder around the roots of the ponytail and I proceed to do my nano trim. Why are you out here moving the goal post ponytail holder of trimming?

When did you do this cut on your hair, please?

I'mma leave it the heck alone!! :lachen:

I've been doing a personal HYH challenge. Cornrows or minitwists/braids kept under a satin cap pretty much 24/7. I only wear my hair out on occasion and then I cover it back up as soon as I get home.

I'm also planning to increase my DCing. I use A LOT of Ayurveda powders and oils for just about every step in my daily hair care regi and it's allowed me to be lazy about DCing. I'm trying to increase DCing to twice a month to see if there's a difference in the amount of hair that grow and/or retain this year.
I hear you! What is a HYH Challenge?

I made another batch of leave-in protein for my hair. It stinks and so do I. If I turn back around too quickly, I get a funky whiff and I try to block it by scrunching up my nostrils but the air sweeps in too fast.

Actually, the odor is more Odd than funky. But, I'm just going to have to say smelling 'Odd' in the least or 'Funky' at worst because it is really helping with retention and the stoppage of breakage.

Specifically regarding my ends, when I took my braid out to detangle and do my pre-poo, my ends were still moist and greasy. It is a FAR cry from the velcro ends of those years of yonder I was experiencing that are not too far in my distant past.

I have stopped using:
  • No Olaplex products
  • No henna powder
  • Absolutely no commercial shampoo for weekly washes

I have implemented step by step: (Due to trial and error and over time)
  • Kaolin Powder @snoop mix wash
  • Any creamy moisturizing conditioner (sometimes doctored with oil, honey and Shea)
  • My weekly Odd/Funky smelling leave in protein mixture
  • Aphogee 2 Step every eight (8) weeks in parallel with a MICRO/NANO trim at the same time
  • Shea butter on ends
  • Vaseline covered over Shea butter on ends of pony
  • Baggie on greased up pony, but I do not add a concoction mixture/or re-wet the pony. The braid stays moist until next wash day.
  • Cover my head at night even though my scarf goes clubbing at night
  • No brushing hair during the week once it's in the pony after styling after washing
It looks like my original hair routine with a few minor tweaks and the major tweak of the shampoo removal.

Specifically regarding my ends, when I took my braid out to detangle and do my pre-poo, my ends were still moist and greasy. It is a FAR cry from the velcro ends of those years of yonder I was experiencing that are not too far in my distant past.

I have stopped using:
  • No Olaplex products
  • No henna powder
  • Absolutely no commercial shampoo for weekly washes

I have implemented step by step: (Due to trial and error and over time)
  • Kaolin Powder @snoop mix wash
  • Any creamy moisturizing conditioner (sometimes doctored with oil, honey and Shea)
  • My weekly Odd/Funky smelling leave in protein mixture
  • Aphogee 2 Step every eight (8) weeks in parallel with a MICRO/NANO trim at the same time
  • Shea butter on ends
  • Vaseline covered over Shea butter on ends of pony
  • Baggie on greased up pony, but I do not add a concoction mixture/or re-wet the pony. The braid stays moist until next wash day.
  • Cover my head at night even though my scarf goes clubbing at night
  • No brushing hair during the week once it's in the pony after styling after washing
It looks like my original hair routine with a few minor tweaks and the major tweak of the shampoo removal.

Grease!!! I'm doing too much and not enough at the same time! I totally forgot about my non-petroleum vaseline! I haven't been using it and totally forgot about it. I know what I'm going to be doing today.

Ooo, this is good to know that you do the same. I was surprised that this technique leaves my ends relatively even enough for a heat straightened style. I tried to get fancy and use that Fey Method and THAT was the cause of the demise and elimination of my length. NEVER EVER AGAIN. I keep it simple and we good.

Girl, I put one holder around the roots of the ponytail and I proceed to do my nano trim. Why are you out here moving the goal post ponytail holder of trimming?

When did you do this cut on your hair, please?
Right?! KISS is the way! * high five *

I did my cut on New Years Day this year. It's the only time I have flat ironed hair -- for the EOTY photos -- so I went ahead and did a trim. My last one was 2 years ago when I cut out my locs.

OK, so I make the ponytail and then slide the holder all the way down to the end where I plan to cut/dust. I'll try to find the video where I first saw that technique. But this time, I didn't slide it down far enough and ended up cutting A LOT! o_O

Here's the vid:

I hear you! What is a HYH Challenge?

Oh, sorry. It's Hide-Your-Hair.

There used to be a lot of those challenges posted when more ladies used weaves and buns to retain long lengths.
For me, full PSing is the best way to retain my growth. I'm still trying to find ways to increase my growth, too.:grin:

I like HYHing. I find that I am more encouraged by my retention or growth when I don't do frequent length checks.
I would call what you do HYHing too bc your hair stays bunned up and you got the pleasant surprise when you did your length check.

Oh, sorry. It's Hide-Your-Hair.

There used to be a lot of those challenges posted when more ladies used weaves and buns to retain long lengths.
For me, full PSing is the best way to retain my growth. I'm still trying to find ways to increase my growth, too.:grin:

I like HYHing. I find that I am more encouraged by my retention or growth when I don't do frequent length checks.
I would call what you do HYHing too bc your hair stays bunned up and you got the pleasant surprise when you did your length check.
Yeah!!! That’s right, Baby! I see now.

A simple process that works!

I love these older videos. The first video she shares her 5 tips to go from neck length to bra-strap:

Then, she is at waist length and giving herself a trim:

You can see how the health and length of her hair just skyrocketed in the second video. It's wonderful inspiration. It's about the care of those precious ends!

A simple process that works!

I love these older videos. The first video she shares her 5 tips to go from neck length to bra-strap:

Then, she is at waist length and giving herself a trim:

You can see how the health and length of her hair just skyrocketed in the second video. It's wonderful inspiration. It's about the care of those precious ends!

YT rabbit hole, here I come!!

beetle-juice-ghost-with-the-most.gif

OMG @Chicoro , you have such great timing!!

I was actually thinking of trying a different PS for the summer. Typically, I rock mini twists/braids as a way to wear my hair "loose" and still protected but I was looking to do something with my hair actually loose. When I came to the hair boards in 2009, it seemed like all of the ladies were seeing success with bunning. And wet bunning seemed to speed up growth for many of them! It's right up my alley bc I love good smelling hair.

So seeing this lady's results doing a regi similar to what I was thinking has me feeling encouraged! I think the key is taking the extra time to pay special attention to the bottom 4-5 inches of hair. Intentionally and with a heavy hand, slathering the products onto the ends. And then remembering to stay on top of biweekly DCing. She also incorporates a lot of protein into the regi in the products she's choosing to use. That was another key factor the ladies used to stress, balancing all of the moisture from frequent watering by incorporating some protein-laden products.

I think I'm gonna do a callback to my "backsliding" hair days. Once a week, I would put my freshly cowashed hair into a single braid that was loose at the roots to allow access to my scalp. It also allowed me to move the bun around if I wanted to. I would keep that braid in all week, cowashing or water rinsing my hair daily without taking the braid down. I'm thinking of trying that again but wetting it and applying my scalp stuff every other day instead of daily.

The only hesitation I have is that I've seen my hair look its best by doing this approach of keeping it fully covered 5-6 (but mostly 7 :look:) days a week. It's naturally shinier, smoother when naked and overall very happy. I'm just trying to put more effort into my appearance and rocking my bandana or knit cap daily ain't the way. lol I'm hoping that switching it up just for the summer, won't adversely affect my progress. :pray:

I was actually thinking of trying a different PS for the summer. Typically, I rock mini twists/braids as a way to wear my hair "loose" and still protected but I was looking to do something with my hair actually loose. When I came to the hair boards in 2009, it seemed like all of the ladies were seeing success with bunning. And wet bunning seemed to speed up growth for many of them! It's right up my alley bc I love good smelling hair.

So seeing this lady's results doing a regi similar to what I was thinking has me feeling encouraged! I think the key is taking the extra time to pay special attention to the bottom 4-5 inches of hair. Intentionally and with a heavy hand, slathering the products onto the ends. And then remembering to stay on top of biweekly DCing. She also incorporates a lot of protein into the regi in the products she's choosing to use. That was another key factor the ladies used to stress, balancing all of the moisture from frequent watering by incorporating some protein-laden products.

I think I'm gonna do a callback to my "backsliding" hair days. Once a week, I would put my freshly cowashed hair into a single braid that was loose at the roots to allow access to my scalp. It also allowed me to move the bun around if I wanted to. I would keep that braid in all week, cowashing or water rinsing my hair daily without taking the braid down. I'm thinking of trying that again but wetting it and applying my scalp stuff every other day instead of daily.

The only hesitation I have is that I've seen my hair look its best by doing this approach of keeping it fully covered 5-6 (but mostly 7 :look:) days a week. It's naturally shinier, smoother when naked and overall very happy. I'm just trying to put more effort into my appearance and rocking my bandana or knit cap daily ain't the way. lol I'm hoping that switching it up just for the summer, won't adversely affect my progress. :pray:

My suggestion is to continue what you are doing in terms of styling. Don't change it until June 1st. When summer officially starts in June, then straighten your hair and make and assessment about the style change THEN.

Regarding protein, do a small TWEAK of THAT only. Maintain your covered hair for 7 days until June 1st. Change only ONE thing and ONE thing only. It seems that protein is getting you excited. So get your product and start using that once a week or every two weeks.

Continue to slather your ends with protect to balance the protein and moisture.

My 2 cents.

Don't interrupt what is currently working for you. June is only four (4) months away. Don't stray away from your current process and don't make any drastic changes until you hit June.

Praying for hair protection!

My suggestion is to continue what you are doing in terms of styling. Don't change it until June 1st. When summer officially starts in June, then straighten your hair and make and assessment about the style change THEN.

Regarding protein, do a small TWEAK of THAT only. Maintain your covered hair for 7 days until June 1st. Change only ONE thing and ONE thing only. It seems that protein is getting you excited. So get your product and start using that once a week or every two weeks.

Continue to slather your ends with protect to balance the protein and moisture.

My 2 cents.

Don't interrupt what is currently working for you. June is only four (4) months away. Don't stray away from your current process and don't make any drastic changes until you hit June.

Absolutely!
Protein overload is my biggest fear in this HHJ.

I tend to lean more toward moisture and prefer light protein. But I do use a lot of "strengthening" Ayurveda powders in my daily mixes so I'll be interested to see how they perform on loose hair w/more frequent watering.

Ya'll I think I may have found my new hairstylist!!! My hair was in bad need of a trim. It's been months since this past summer when I last sat in a salon chair for a trim. That was a awful experience that scared me so terribly that I was too scared to book another appointment with anyone. Today I wanted to treat myself so I called a salon I had gone in the past and they had an opening!
The hairstylist was nice and knowledgeable. She took photos of my hair so I could clearly see what needed to be trimmed. I felt very comfortable in her chair. I loved how my hair turned out. I felt so pretty. :gorgeous:

Attachments

• hai2_140224.jpg
    hai2_140224.jpg
    658.2 KB · Views: 34
  • hair_140224.jpeg
    hair_140224.jpeg
    881.9 KB · Views: 34
Ya'll I think I may have found my new hairstylist!!! My hair was in bad need of a trim. It's been months since this past summer when I last sat in a salon chair for a trim. That was a awful experience that scared me so terribly that I was too scared to book another appointment with anyone. Today I wanted to treat myself so I called a salon I had gone in the past and they had an opening!
The hairstylist was nice and knowledgeable. She took photos of my hair so I could clearly see what needed to be trimmed. I felt very comfortable in her chair. I loved how my hair turned out. I felt so pretty. :gorgeous:

How much did you end up cutting off? Your hair looks longer in the final photo than in the first. She did a great job!

Back