Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2024

What problem are you looking to resolve so you CAN have Luscious, Healthy Ends in 2024?

• Total voters
I have done high, low, diy. I was pushing products like I was a distributor lol. Over the years it’s like ok maybe my hair is just dry. It can be moist for a min it’s soft even new growth but my ends since it’s the elder just do not like to stay united. I just trimmed this week and will be viligant.

It may be a stretch, but how is the air where you are (outside and inside). I've notice that my house got DRY as soon as the season changed. I never usually notice these things.

I bought some hygrometers so that I can test the temp and humidity on each floor since the thermostat isn't reliable (i.e. is only reading the one room.) They are still in the box. Will do it soon.

I personally, don't believe that products will help if "you" are not taking account the environment that you are spending the most time in.

I'm adding the response that I just posted in last year's thread to this one:

Hopefully, it's ok to chime in.

For me, my trims are probably a combination of trimming and dusting since I trim in mini twists. If I were to unravel, I may get anywhere between an inch (which is always so much smaller than I think) to 1/2 inch or less of hair that is cut in any one section.

When I microtrim, I think about it less like "trimming" and more like "filing my nails". I'm just grazing my ends. I do this on loose hair in the shower and the process is kinda like curly cutting, but without the shaping. With my hair wet, I can see where my hair coils, so I'll count about 2 or 3 coils up from the ends and then cut there. I have 4c hair so think about 2 or 3 coils of a pen spring. It's tiny. And almost looks like broken hair. I've been doing this in between the bigger dusting sessions. So if I use the nail analogy again, it would be like trimming my nails every quarter, then filing my nails weekly. I haven't had a proper hair cut since I started my hair journey (more than 2 inches, but my hair has broken more than that when I've had my setbacks).

ETA: I'm using the estimate of 1/16th of an inch as per the Morocco Method.

It may be a stretch, but how is the air where you are (outside and inside). I've notice that my house got DRY as soon as the season changed. I never usually notice these things.

I bought some hygrometers so that I can test the temp and humidity on each floor since the thermostat isn't reliable (i.e. is only reading the one room.) They are still in the box. Will do it soon.

I personally, don't believe that products will help if "you" are not taking account the environment that you are spending the most time in.
This is a good idea for me to see. Texas can be a gamble mostly humid but definitely worth me investigating, thank you!

I definitely pay attention the change in environment. I can usually tell in my skin first because I have to change the way I moisturize after a shower. And when I start to get shocked when I touch things, I know there is time for a change.

I don't find that I need to change my products much but I cleanse, condition and style more often because my hair needs more hydration in the winter. Instead of cleansing 7 to 10 days, my hair needs water every 4 days. Fortunately, this weather only last about 90 days here and then Spring will burst through.

After wearing my hair straight for 10 days, I only had 1 split end to cut when I refreshed my hair.

For one or two months, I'm going to try applying leave-in in the shower, letting my hair air dry for a bit, applying more leave-in and water and then styling. I want to see if this provides enough moisture to wear an out style. Initially, I'm just going to put in twists but what I learn now will give me confidence t just a flat twist out.

I definitely pay attention the change in environment. I can usually tell in my skin first because I have to change the way I moisturize after a shower. And when I start to get shocked when I touch things, I know there is time for a change.

I don't find that I need to change my products much but I cleanse, condition and style more often because my hair needs more hydration in the winter. Instead of cleansing 7 to 10 days, my hair needs water every 4 days. Fortunately, this weather only last about 90 days here and then Spring will burst through.

I agree. I think that we sometimes lean into this idea that we only need to moisturize once per week because someone was able to do it, but there are some environments where twice a day is needed. For hair and skin.

I retained basically no length last year. I feel it was because I kept experimenting and also neglect at times. I don't plan on trimming more than once or twice in 2024. I returned to the baggy because it gives me the best retention. I have my routine very much planned out. Although if i stay APL for another year I will probably give up on my length journey and cut it short.

I retained basically no length last year. I feel it was because I kept experimenting and also neglect at times. I don't plan on trimming more than once or twice in 2024. I returned to the baggy because it gives me the best retention. I have my routine very much planned out. Although if i stay APL for another year I will probably give up on my length journey and cut it short.

Why? Is your current length hard to manage? Do you think that your current hair practices will translate better to shorter hair?

Why? Is your current length hard to manage? Do you think that your current hair practices will translate better to shorter hair?
My hair is easy to manage but styling is an issue. As long as I can wear a bun or braids I’m good. I wanted the freedom of having really short hair too but now that I think about it, I might just keep my length. I was close to reaching BSL last year but I trimmed off all of my progress. It doesn’t help that I’m still transitioning as well. Maybe I’ll see better retention once I’m fully natural

I got stuck at the second time stamp of this man's video: clean up. Do stylists really take so little off?! Happily? Voluntarily?
I feel like our (hair) community would be so different if this was a thing.

He mentioned the term "skimming" and the amount he cut off would be similar to a micro trim in, IMO.

I got stuck at the second time stamp of this man's video: clean up. Do stylists really take so little off?! Happily? Voluntarily?
I feel like our (hair) community would be so different if this was a thing.

He mentioned the term "skimming" and the amount he cut off would be similar to a micro trim in, IMO.

Most stylist give haircuts and they don't believe in trims. If stylists really gave out trims, there wouldn't be so much trauma and so many setbacks.

I was trying to find a definition for cut vs trim vs dusting on the internet. Years ago, a general search would pull up articles/posts that had numbers attached to it. Yesterday, basically everything that I came across said that cutting and trimming is the same because of the amount of effort and the mechanical motions that the styli have to use are the same. It seems as though things are even more stylist-centric. After that it gets into wordsmithing your desires for how much you want cut so that the stylist takes off the right amount.

I was trying to find a definition for cut vs trim vs dusting on the internet. Years ago, a general search would pull up articles/posts that had numbers attached to it. Yesterday, basically everything that I came across said that cutting and trimming is the same because of the amount of effort and the mechanical motions that the styli have to use are the same. It seems as though things are even more stylist-centric. After that it gets into wordsmithing your desires for how much you want cut so that the stylist takes off the right amount.
Wow! That’s very interesting. The stylist messaging is strong

My hair turned out crazy over night *rolls eyes*, so I put it back into a bun. I'm kind of worried about my ends because when I took my bun down last week, there was a lot of small pieces and my ends looks all scraggly.

My hair's too short to twist the length around to form my bun. So I pull my hair into a ponytail, fan my ends out around the ponytail scrunchie, then I put a larger scrunchie around it to secure it. Is there a better way to do my bun at this length (SL)?

My hair turned out crazy over night *rolls eyes*, so I put it back into a bun. I'm kind of worried about my ends because when I took my bun down last week, there was a lot of small pieces and my ends looks all scraggly.

My hair's too short to twist the length around to form my bun. So I pull my hair into a ponytail, fan my ends out around the ponytail scrunchie, then I put a larger scrunchie around it to secure it. Is there a better way to do my bun at this length (SL)?
I like a doughnut bun

There used to be this really low impact bun that ladies used to do on here called the "Southern Tease Bun"
I've done it on SL hair before.
I'll try to look it up bc it's really hard to explain how to do it even tho it's so simple! lol

ETA: Links

Last edited:
Posted in the Straight Hair Natural Thread, but I want to document this wash day here too.

I changed 2 things this wash day:
1. Did not use conditioner after shampooing/ detangled on the second shampoo
2. Used CHI Keratin Treatment as my only leave-in/ heat protectant

I want to see if my hair gets dry, or if this will get my sebum under control over the next week. So far my hair feels and looks exactly the same to me.

20240115_162918.jpg20240115_162859.jpg20240115_162731.jpg20240115_165932.jpg

There used to be this really low impact bun that ladies used to do on here called the "Southern Tease Bun"
I've done it on SL hair before.
I'll try to look it up bc it's really hard to explain how to do it even tho it's so simple! lol

ETA: Links

That is so interesting. Looking forward to getting to a length to try it. I like the second one since her hair wasn't super straight but she still did a nice one.

Posted in the Straight Hair Natural Thread, but I want to document this wash day here too.

I want to see if my hair gets dry, or if this will get my sebum under control over the next week. So far my hair feels and looks exactly the same to me.

View attachment 493849View attachment 493851View attachment 493853View attachment 493855
Your hair is nice and shiny. I hope you achieve the results you are expecting.

View attachment 493849View attachment 493851View attachment 493853View attachment 493855
Hair looking like touchable, finely, spun silk.

Back