Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2024

What problem are you looking to resolve so you CAN have Luscious, Healthy Ends in 2024?

• Total voters
Ah, the proof! You cut your hair? This is another clear clear sign that you are Super Serious about changing your life. First, you got back in school. Second, you decided to focus on your health and vitals. Now, the hair.

Stand back everyone, @ckisland is in the throes of an incredible metamorphosis! She’s moving faster than the Tasmanian Devil.
And we have been gifted with the privilege to be able to see it, front and centered!

Ah, the proof! You cut your hair? This is another clear clear sign that you are Super Serious about changing your life. First, you got back in school. Second, you decided to focus on your health and vitals. Now, the hair.

Stand back everyone, @ckisland is in the throes of an incredible metamorphosis! She’s moving faster than the Tasmanian Devil.
And we have been gifted with the privilege to be able to see it, front and centered!
You are so right!! I am trying to level up my whole life :toocool:

I'm reusing some pictures: I micro-trimmed my ends last week. I didn't realize how taking off so little could make my hair feel so good. Previously, I was doing these trims on loose hair so I didn't really notice any difference. This time, since my hair was already in mini-twists I just trimmed my twists. I also trimmed on dry hair because I'd just done my hair and didn't want them to start shrinking. With all of the tiny little scraggles from twisting gone, my ends felt sooo good!

I was mainly wearing my hair in a low bun (for years) if I wasn't wearing my twists down and covered or in a loose goddess type twist (no pins), but I've started wearing a top knot. I need to give my crown a break so that I can strengthen that area in. I also need to figure out what's going on in the middle lower section. The sides seem to alternate who is longest. If memory serves, the first quarter of the year my left side tends to be longer then towards the middle of the year the right catches up, then it passes? I know they do, alternate, but I'd have to go through older photos to see if I'm making up the timelines.

LHCF_Feb_Microtrim.png LHCF_Feb_ClayWash.png

I'm reusing some pictures: I micro-trimmed my ends last week. I didn't realize how taking off so little could make my hair feel so good. Previously, I was doing these trims on loose hair so I didn't really notice any difference. This time, since my hair was already in mini-twists I just trimmed my twists. I also trimmed on dry hair because I'd just done my hair and didn't want them to start shrinking. With all of the tiny little scraggles from twisting gone, my ends felt sooo good!

I was mainly wearing my hair in a low bun (for years) if I wasn't wearing my twists down and covered or in a loose goddess type twist (no pins), but I've started wearing a top knot. I need to give my crown a break so that I can strengthen that area in. I also need to figure out what's going on in the middle lower section. The sides seem to alternate who is longest. If memory serves, the first quarter of the year my left side tends to be longer then towards the middle of the year the right catches up, then it passes? I know they do, alternate, but I'd have to go through older photos to see if I'm making up the timelines.

View attachment 494647 View attachment 494649
Now these amounts look like micro trims to me!

Is the mid-lower section of your hair a different texture than the rest of your head/hair? What’s going on in this area? Is it breaking?

I probably remove the same amount or more with these trims than the ones in the shower. It just looks less scary because each coil is dry (not wet) and therefore compact. Trust me, I am still scissor phobic. I've only ever had two "proper" trims in 12 years.

I don't know if that section is breaking or if it's just how my hair is hanging or what. I'm not sure if I'm comparing like for like, because depending on how thick my clay mixes are, they will give my hair a different appearance.

December 2019 vs October 2023 vs Feb 2024

LHCF_Dec2019.png LHCF_Clay_Oct2023.png LHCF_Feb_ClayWash.png

The twists look like they're around the same size in diameter. I've worn the same styles for about the past 10 years so I'm not sure.

According to my signature block, I reached WL in 2017 and again in 2020. I think that in both cases I was grazing. The first time I will count it, but the second one, judging by my hair, I was already into some diagnosed and undiagnosed changes with my health. In 2017, I had my last baby so my hair was probably fine. After that, my BP started to go up and so I'm medicated for that. However, this is when I started to lose both iron (which I'd suspected) and vit D (which I had no clue about). That remained unchecked until 2022. That's close to 5 years depending on when the issues actually started.

I'm also not sure what the texture back there is like because I'm almost always in twists. If I wear a twist out, my hair is back in twists before bed, then wash and neater twists. If I wash my hair loose, I immediately put my hair back in twists. I also don't twist my hair with a mirror. I don't think I know how to wear my hair loose and I don't really know what it looks like or what one section feels like compared to another -- with the exception of my crown which I've noticed is starting to feel more wirey.

Yes. Even when I try not to do medium twists or large twists along the centre part... it happens. And moisturizing, even if done on smaller sections, always ends up in halves. :nono:

I've seen ladies have that shape/gap in the middle like that when they habitually part their hair in halves for various steps in their regi. I'm not sure it's damage as much as it seems to be just trained to part away like that even in styles. I'm not trying to take away from the legitimate health concerns you expressed though, I just noticed a pattern among hair care ladies. :)

But you rarely wear your hair out/down, is the split a big problem for you? Your hair seems to be thriving! Even when you had that long stretch of "neglect" it ended up pleasantly surprising you when you finally checked in!

I've seen ladies have that shape/gap in the middle like that when they habitually part their hair in halves for various steps in their regi. I'm not sure it's damage as much as it seems to be just trained to part away like that even in styles. I'm not trying to take away from the legitimate health concerns you expressed though, I just noticed a pattern among hair care ladies. :)

But you rarely wear your hair out/down, is the split a big problem for you? Your hair seems to be thriving! Even when you had that long stretch of "neglect" it ended up pleasantly surprising you when you finally checked in!

Thank you so much for this. It's one less thing to stress out about. I'll keep watch and see if it eventually goes away, but now I won't automatically jump to the conclusion of damage.

It's definitely not a problem and I only notice it if I take a picture. Because my hair is so textured, I'm sure if I wear a twist out, it wouldn't be noticeable.

This is last month. I took the twists down and didn't try to style it. It looks like the gap is off to the side. :rolleyes: It holds whatever shape it feels like. It was the same when I was relaxed. It wouldn't "hang" so much as it could be laid down. All that to say, I think the gap is blend-able even without trying.

InShot_20240301_114221780.jpg

After my last blow out trim I measured my hair in a systematic way. I don’t know how accurate or repeatable it is, but at least I have a method/metric.
My hair is not very long. The longest part is the crown in the front and that is around 15 inches.

I think going forward I’m going to do my own trims/dusting on blown out hair, or maybe even on wet hair. I just need to learn how.

After my last blow out trim I measured my hair in a systematic way. I don’t know how accurate or repeatable it is, but at least I have a method/metric.
My hair is not very long. The longest part is the crown in the front and that is around 15 inches.

I think going forward I’m going to do my own trims/dusting on blown out hair, or maybe even on wet hair. I just need to learn how.
15 inches is not short. That's a lot of length. Good luck with the trimming. Start slowly!

I have been a little sad because I can't figure out how to post gifs anymore. If anyone has any tips, let me know. I'm not sure of the website doesn't allow for it anymore or if my gif source has changed or what.

I don't put any or add any additional water based spray to my baggie. When I do my weekly take-down, my ends continue to be lubricated and soft. I am still in awe of @keranikki and her gorgeous and jaw dropping micro-trimming, end of year results. My goal is to micro-trim my hair ends every two months, or every eight weeks and have the trims coincide with my Two Step Aphogee Treatment. Today is the day for an Aphogee Two Step Treatment and micro-trim. I'm emboldened and looking forward to it because of the positive results and the enjoyable session I had in January, using my new blow-dryer with the great comb attachment.

Wish me luck!

I completed a microtrim last week. I went back to a two-product combo that allows me to rock a WNG. The only issue is, the more I work out, the more I have to reset my hair. I also had to cut 4 single strand knots. I haven’t had the time to install micro braids.
Otherwise, my ends are doing great and my hair is growing well.
I hope everyone is doing well!

I have been a little sad because I can't figure out how to post gifs anymore. If anyone has any tips, let me know. I'm not sure of the website doesn't allow for it anymore or if my gif source has changed or what.

Aww man! Your gifs make the thread! We've gotta fix this!

OK, forgive me if this the way you already do it...

I do a Google search for the emotion of the gif I want to find.
Then click on "images" of the Google search results.
Once I find the one I want, I right click on it and select "copy image ADDRESS"
Then I come back here and click the "insert image" icon in the reply menu
At the top of that small window is a tab with a link icon that says "by URL" when you hover over it and I click on that
And then paste the copied image address into the text bar.

This one:
1710111221745.png

HTH! :)

I’ve decided to leave the donut bun alone for a while. I noticed some breakage in the center of my hair. It broke all the way to the new growth so I had to do something. Right now I’m stealing @Chicoro technique of braiding my hair that’s on the inside or my bun instead. This area keeps on matting for some reason. Still tweaking my regimen. My goal is to reach BSL by June

Aww man! Your gifs make the thread! We've gotta fix this!

OK, forgive me if this the way you already do it...

I do a Google search for the emotion of the gif I want to find.
Then click on "images" of the Google search results.
Once I find the one I want, I right click on it and select "copy image ADDRESS"
Then I come back here and click the "insert image" icon in the reply menu
At the top of that small window is a tab with a link icon that says "by URL" when you hover over it and I click on that
And then paste the copied image address into the text bar.

This one:
View attachment 494807

HTH! :)
Thank you!

I’ve decided to leave the donut bun alone for a while. I noticed some breakage in the center of my hair. It broke all the way to the new growth so I had to do something. Right now I’m stealing @Chicoro technique of braiding my hair that’s on the inside or my bun instead. This area keeps on matting for some reason. Still tweaking my regimen. My goal is to reach BSL by June
Have you considered fortifying the breaking area with some time of leave in protein perhaps, too?

I just finished blowing out my hair to check on the status of my ends. There were several splits and breaks. I didn't see any knots. I trimmed away about five (5) splits on the ends of my hair. I decided not to trim the ends as they did not need it.

The last time I trimmed was in January 2024. This search and destroy was two months later. The next time I blow out my hair will be in four (4) more months, instead of two (2) more months. That will be the end of July 2024.

I am going to continue what I am doing. I have lots of breakage from the hairline to where I secure my ponytail. I probably would do better if I left my hair blown out and did a twist out. But, hate twist outs and the twists fall out of my hair. My hair is too soft and too straight for a twist out to last.

But the ends are holding up pretty well with the Shea butter, Vaseline and baggie.

Have you considered fortifying the breaking area with some time of leave in protein perhaps, too?
I spray it with protien daily but to think that’s the problem. It’s only the center of my hair is matted after spraying it daily. I have been neglecting my hair and leaving my hair in for 2 weeks because it’s just convenient that way. The blue wetline has not flakes on me year so I may even stretch between wash days even long. I don’t like messing in my hair no more

I spray it with protien daily but to think that’s the problem. It’s only the center of my hair is matted after spraying it daily. I have been neglecting my hair and leaving my hair in for 2 weeks because it’s just convenient that way. The blue wetline has not flakes on me year so I may even stretch between wash days even long. I don’t like messing in my hair no more
It seems to me that you are doing a great job refining your processes. You have the breakage problem resolved for the bulk of your hair. Now, you have discovered there's an issue with the hair in the center of your head. And now, you can refine and modify your process to address the matting hair in that small section. It sounds and seems to me that you are on track and getting down to the small things. It's the small things that can create the biggest shifts and get you to that dream length!

I just finished blowing out my hair to check on the status of my ends. There were several splits and breaks. I didn't see any knots. I trimmed away about five (5) splits on the ends of my hair. I decided not to trim the ends as they did not need it.

The last time I trimmed was in January 2024. This search and destroy was two months later. The next time I blow out my hair will be in four (4) more months, instead of two (2) more months. That will be the end of July 2024.

I am going to continue what I am doing. I have lots of breakage from the hairline to where I secure my ponytail. I probably would do better if I left my hair blown out and did a twist out. But, hate twist outs and the twists fall out of my hair. My hair is too soft and too straight for a twist out to last.

But the ends are holding up pretty well with the Shea butter, Vaseline and baggie.
What products do you use when you do a twist out? Maybe you need something with stronger hold. Do you start with wet/damp hair or dry hair?

What products do you use when you do a twist out? Maybe you need something with stronger hold. Do you start with wet/damp hair or dry hair?
Thank you for asking! My hair is too soft when I blow it dry and try to do a twist out. I absolutely love the results when I wet or wash my hair, braid it up and take it out. That's cute. But I don't like the 'aftermath' of these styles. They leave my hair tangled at the ends and I lose length, EVERY TIME. But I am open to being schooled about what I may need to do to have more success in the future.

I have not done a braid it from wet hair in about five (5) years. When I did do one, I did it on freshly washed hair. I used S-curl and a bit of gel and it came out gorgeous. The hair was shiny, had body and it held the braid-out texture. But again, those are not my styles. I like low manipulation hair that is not in danger of tangling.

Back