Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2024

What problem are you looking to resolve so you CAN have Luscious, Healthy Ends in 2024?

• Total voters
The bold has me mind blown. I've never heard this before.
No, I totally get that it's not a 100% thing. I've been wearing essentially the same style for the past 8 years. But your rational made so much sense.
Yeah. This isn't to say if someone wears their hair the same way all the time they are automatically going to have a hair issue, because that isn't the case. However, I do have more visibility and areas to gauge the full condition of my hair when I alter its condition. When I wear it in the same state for extended periods that is when a not-so-pleasant surprise can sneak up on me. When I alter it every few months, I can catch stuff in one state that I didn't notice in the state that preceded it.
This makes me even more committed to get my blow out hair cuts every 3-4 months because the rest of the time my hair is curly.

Yes to all of this. I leave my hair in the same style forever and paid a hefty price with breakage. I just learned this lesson from a practical sense in 2024. Better late than never. The micro trims require I straighten my hair and that gives a different view of my hair health than my natural hair.

@Lylddlebit Your hair looks soooo soft and pretty! It's beautiful. :clap::clapping::kiss3:

After detangling hair in the shower, I gently brush hair back into a ponytail.(Unbrush) Then I apply leave in and cream to the hair for moisture, making sure all strands are coated. I I smooth it down like when After that I apply generous amount of gel on the outer part only and smooth back with my hands. Then I loosely put it up in a claw clip or barrette and let it air dry. I get nice deep waves from doing it this way. And now I don’t have to over manipulate my hair for that super slick look I like

@Napp

Thank you for this!

The point made above by @Lylddlebit, and highlighted by @snoop, is why I prefer to trim my hair in a well-stretched state- either blow dried, or straightened. For years, I wore my hair only in a wash n go. I'd regularly dust and trim coil by coil, and while my hair looked ok, even good at times, there were numerous splits accumulating.I just can't see them when my hair is coily and clumped.

With my fine strands, I can't go too long between trims without collateral damage- which makes me want to focus on upping my moisture, but it's no help to my hair if I'm not taking all (most) of the damage in the process. Altering it's state allows me to really assess my ends and the true condition of my hemline, and spot split ends clearly.

On Friday, I took down my extensions (after 8 months), and mainly finger detangled the shed hair from the past 4 or 5 weeks. I loaded up with a cheap, mild protien rinse-out con- Dikson Daily Frequent, and twisted up overnight under a baggie.

Saturday morning, I washed with the Super energy poo from the same brand. I used Ouidad Ultra Nourishing Cleansing Oil for a 2nd cleanse, and followed with a combination of Garnier Banana + Shea Hair food and the Daily con. Let this steam while I showered.

After rinsing, I smoothed in a little Olaplex no.6, and some Chi serum, and sectioned. Followed with a blow dry with a Denman brush- used more for tension than to repeatedly brush through my hair. I thorougly trimmed, maybe 1-2 inches. The unevenness from my heat damage incident has almost all grown out/ been trimmed away and my hair is looking fuller all round. I forgot to take pics because I was sick and just powering through.

Then spent about 2 and a half days putting in goddess braids- moisturising each section, and sealing with raw Shea and grease. I was off sick for a few days, so thankfully I had the energy to do all of this after a couple of days of much needed rest.

Last edited:
@Carrie A highlighted for emphasis

1. I am a huge proponent of keeping my hair semi-stretched to prevent knots. Even when I wash it I allow the stream of water to naturally stretch it and utilize bantu knots so it will not fully draw up or knot while coily. Stretched/frozen hair has less opportunity to coil around itself to form a ssk
  2. Hair that retains lubrication and moisture once dried glides and slips before it locks in a knot. So I make sure I use products that keep my hair moisturized for days to weeks at a time. If I use a product that has to be reapplied every 1-2 days or else my hair is dry then that product doesn't meet the standard to stay in my regimen. To me, a good moisturizer is applied on wash day and keeps my hair supple for a week, at a minimum.
  3. I also like styles that last from days to weeks at a time. (see https://longhaircareforums.com/threads/the-enjoying-our-hair-thread.854985/). Hair that can look nice or only needs minimal maintenance will take longer to dry out and knot.
  4. Frequent searches and destroys prevent ssks from taking healthy hair with it.
  5. I also advocate alternating the states of my hair. Hair worn in the same state all the time hides things.
    1. Hair mostly shrunken hides knots and splits.
    2. Hair mostly straight hides losses in tensile strength/heat damage.
    3. Hair that is always stretched may not have the tensile strength to hold a natural or barrel curl anymore.
    4. Hair that straightens efficiently, reverts efficiently, holds a curl when heat-styled, and retains moisture/strength balance after wash day will indicate overall health.
  6. I intentionally weigh my natural hair down with heavy products or a heavy hair accessory to prevent knots that will naturally form on tight coils.
Sorry more than @Carrie A
Sorry a bit redundant @Chicoro @snoop: Healthy heads of hair think alike!

I need to pay even closer attention to my hair now. I've been spinning this around like a rubix cube in my mind.

One thing that I have noticed, is that I tend to wear my two strand twists parted down centre. If I put my hair in a pony, I maintain that centre part. I need to correct that bad habit. It's something that I've wanted to do for a while, but rarely put effort into. If I wear my hair in a bun/pony I need to be cognizant of how I'm doing it and make sure that all of the hair is swept back first. There's no point in stressing out my crown in this way.

The point made above by @Lylddlebit, and highlighted by @snoop, is why I prefer to trim my hair in a well-stretched state- either blow dried, or straightened. For years, I wore my hair only in a wash n go. I'd regularly dust and trim coil by coil, and while my hair looked ok, even good at times, there were numerous splits accumulating.I just can't see them when my hair is coily and clumped.

With my fine strands, I can't go too long between trims without collateral damage- which makes me want to focus on upping my moisture, but it's no help to my hair if I'm not taking all (most) of the damage in the process. Altering it's state allows me to really assess my ends and the true condition of my hemline, and spot split ends clearly.
Yep. If I want to do damaging things to my hair because it is cute and I love the style despite the damage then that is one thing. I will pick a cost-benefit analysis that is worth it. There ain't no way I'm wearing my hair in buns or twists 48 weeks out of the year in exchange for more damage that I get wearing it in styles I love year-around and experiencing hair freedom. So I like the balance and freedom altering it gives me. It is both fun and functional.

I need to pay even closer attention to my hair now. I've been spinning this around like a rubix cube in my mind.

One thing that I have noticed, is that I tend to wear my two strand twists parted down centre. If I put my hair in a pony, I maintain that centre part. I need to correct that bad habit. It's something that I've wanted to do for a while, but rarely put effort into. If I wear my hair in a bun/pony I need to be cognizant of how I'm doing it and make sure that all of the hair is swept back first. There's no point in stressing out my crown in this way.
And that's really it: finding ways to make the things you love doing to your hair less damaging. You do that and you enjoy your hair.

I am loving the discussions about the various ways of caring for our hair.

I have been wearing my hair in two strand twists with the roots braided for security since March. I wash and condition in the twists weekly or every two weeks (depending on the weather and how my scalp feels) and then retwist with my whipped Shea butter, EcoStyler Argan Oil Gel and a braiding gel at the roots for hold. I still use Nexxus shampoo and conditioner, Garnier Leave-in and my fenugreek, rosemary and clove oil mix on a regular basis. I can tell this low manipulation routine is working because my ends are splendid and my twists are getting longer. I will have to henna soon, because my grays are really standing out as well.

I am loving the discussions about the various ways of caring for our hair.

I have been wearing my hair in two strand twists with the roots braided for security since March. I wash and condition in the twists weekly or every two weeks (depending on the weather and how my scalp feels) and then retwist with my whipped Shea butter, EcoStyler Argan Oil Gel and a braiding gel at the roots for hold. I still use Nexxus shampoo and conditioner, Garnier Leave-in and my fenugreek, rosemary and clove oil mix on a regular basis. I can tell this low manipulation routine is working because my ends are splendid and my twists are getting longer. I will have to henna soon, because my grays are really standing out as well.

Splendid ends??!!!!!! Hey, that make wanna dance. um hmm, yea.

giphy.gif
ea

Hair, twists getting longer you say? Uhn, that sound good.

giphy.gif

Grays standing out? Length retention showing out? Girl, you touching my 'Hair Soul' with this post.

giphy.gif

Back