Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2024

What problem are you looking to resolve so you CAN have Luscious, Healthy Ends in 2024?

• Total voters
I don't know about ya'll,
but I'm still relishing in finally escaping my four (4) year break cycle.
Skin glowing and hair growing.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

View attachment 495877
yes, @GettingKinky ...YOU do know a celebrity.

giphy.gif

Look at me, blowing two minds, in one thread, one right after another. :giggle: Ya'll want some more.

I uploaded that How To Strategically Seal Your Hair (LOC) document around December 2008 but had talked about it before. I have receipts. I would challenge ANYONE to find anything on YouTube, specifically about LOC prior to December 2003. I was using the BAGGIE process in in 2003, which I got from Adrienne using the baggie process from her.

I started layering and trying to understand why the layering I was doing was working so wel. Most people were finishing with an oil. After analysis and experience, I found it more effective in practice, to finish with a cream. So, I reversed engineered why it worked, like I do most of my hunches that I learn about and later try to explain with science. Sometimes it's 'sister science'. :giggle:

I used to talk about stuff first, then I would document it. Just like I do here, now. I do understand that people come up with things and ideas simultaneously, too.

I usually have my receipts.

giphy.gif

There are MANY, MANY, MANY things and very prominent ideas that I have contributed to the natural hair community. People take my information and my analysis and use it as if they did the work.

I know WHAT information is mine because I come to it by EXTRAPOLATION, meaning, it was not in any book or article. I made the connections and came to the conclusions and arrived at the ideas, myself. But the person using the information doesn't know it. But I KNOW it.

It's all par for the course. I personally know a very FAMOUS scientist who specialized for 40 years in hair and he also had his very famous hair diagram and findings taken, lifted, with no credit.

I share my information freely on the internet. I've got books and books of information and analysis in my head, about hair. It's getting closer to and time to get it out on paper and into books and into the world.
Ms Chicoro has a hair book series that will be debuting. I've been saying this for YEARS... !!!

18,000 views in an 'obscure' Fotki, which went down and dark for five (5) years...

The truth eventually comes out.

I have been very, very blessed.

It's all good!
I am past due to buy your books. It ain't much but the least I can do!

I sure wish I could access my old fotki or would have taken more screenshots of it. I did copy and paste some of my blogs and photos but wasn't as detailed once it went away. That was the best hair journal I used. Every week I logged supplements taken, styles worn, and things I learned until I looked up and met my goal. Ah memories!
Well, thank you! You are right, the formula did change. When I first discovered it in Mexico City in December 2006, it could hold up the heaviest of hair. Now, not so much. I still buy it, though.

Receipt: :giggle:

I even ask if anyone knows where to get it in the US!

View attachment 496019
I introduced the term ´finger detangling’ and the use of Aphogee 2 Step on natural hair, too, as well as other ideas which are considered ‘common knowledge’ today. Afro hair has been good to me. I am grateful and thankful for what I have received from it!

I sure wish I could access my old fotki or would have taken more screenshots of it. I did copy and paste some of my blogs and photos but wasn't as detailed once it went away. That was the best hair journal I used. Every week I logged supplements taken, styles worn, and things I learned until I looked up and met my goal. Ah memories!
I think you can access it. Do you remember your old codes? I believe if you pay the little fee you may be able to bring it up long enough to mine the photos out and then let it go.

Fotki went dark for about 3 to 5 years. I thought it was gone forever. Then, I went back and there it was!

giphy.gif

Ya'll ready for some hair pitchas?
Where @MzSwift at?

And where is @IDareT'sHair at?

Here we go!

View attachment 497199

Micro-Trim #3 of 2024. Sunday June, 23rd, 2024
  • Lighting in my bathroom is not very good.​
  • I promise you I cleaned the mirror and adjusted my clothes.​
  • My hair is trimmed STRAIGHT! My pants' waistline is CROOKED, sagging lower on the left. Excuse me!​
  • Hair is blow dried ONLY. No flat iron, no heat protectant, no shine products.​
  • I am leaning forward with my booty up in the air, back slightly arched to get a clear photo.​
View attachment 497201
  • Hair from the side. Sorry about the dot but it's some kind of stick on mirror set.
  • Here you can see that the hair is not very straight. I blowdried for a trim and to do the Aphogee 2 Step right after the trim.

View attachment 497203
  • This ball is kind of Light and Fluffy, not dense and heavy. So, it's a good thing.
  • I am a pure finger comber. I have not combed my hair out since March. So this amount of hair is a good amount, normal amount for not having combed hair since March until tonight. I did use a comb tonight to detangle before I blowdried.

View attachment 497205
  • This hair is the trimmed hair that fell into the sink.
  • Very few trimmed hairs have knots and/or splits

Extremely even! Especially, for a microtrim!

I think you can access it. Do you remember your old codes? I believe if you pay the little fee you may be able to bring it up long enough to mine the photos out and then let it go.

Fotki went dark for about 3 to 5 years. I thought it was gone forever. Then, I went back and there it was!
I sure tried it today but my profile was removed from the database. Looks like I waited too long but it was worth a try!

Extremely even! Especially, for a microtrim!
It's amazing to me. I have finally mastered how to trim my hair. I am so glad @keranikki posted her amazing results. I was inspired and pushed passed the fear of butchering my hair. I was trying to even up my hair hemline in 2012 and just messed it up and lost 10-12 inches over a few days of trimming and retrimming to try to fix it.

I have come FULL CIRCLE and now those missing pieces which was being able to trim my hair to my satisfaction and having my hair look good to ME, have come to fruition. Because of this, in theory, I am FREE from stylists FOREVER as I am no longer dependent on them to get me that (what used to be) elusive, straight and even trim. If I ever go back to a salon it will be because I truly desire to do so, and NOT because I NEED someone to give me a trim.

And, because of taking the plunge to do these micro-trims, I can finally see the wisdom and truth in Wanakee Pugh's counsel to trim a little bit every 6 to 8 weeks. The emphasis is ensuring it is only a little bit trimmed.

For the first time in my hair journey, by the end of December 2024, I would have had five (5) trims in one year (Jan 2024, March 2024, June 2024, Sept 2024 and Dec 2024). My trim process is simple and repeatable. Ironically, the key in all this was finding the right blowdryer with a quality comb attachment that came with the blowdryer AND finally developing a successful blowdry technique for myself and my hair.

Last edited:
^^ Wanakee was the first hair guru I followed and thats the first I heard about microtrims.
What is the biggest tip you guys have for preventing single strand knots?
I suggest to start with a trim that removes existing knots and splits.

Next, keep hair ends lubricated with oil and or butter.

Next, reduce friction on ends. If the hair is rubbing or touching clothing, put it up in way so the hair ends don’t touch shoulders, clothing or rub against other hair.

Lubricate and secure ends at night and cover your head and the ends. This can serve as time keeping hair out the air, as air can dry out the hair - which I personally heard for the first time from Wanake Pugh- air drying the hair out.

That’s what I got, I’m sure other people will chip in with some additional info that will be great,

“Come out, come out wherever you are, Pretty Ladies! We got a question for you to tackle!”

I suggest to start with a trim that removes existing knots and splits.

Next, keep hair ends lubricated with oil and or butter.

Next, reduce friction on ends. If the hair is rubbing or touching clothing, put it up in way so the hair ends don’t touch shoulders, clothing or rub against other hair.

Lubricate and secure ends at night and cover your head and the ends. This can serve as time keeping hair out the air, as air can dry out the hair - which I personally heard for the first time from Wanake Pugh- air drying the hair out.

That’s what I got, I’m sure other people will chip in with some additional info that will be great,

“Come out, come out wherever you are, Pretty Ladies! We got a question for you to tackle!”

Depending on your hair type having your hair not rub against your clothing isn't enough. You'll have to "freeze" the hair so that strands don't rub and interact with each other.

So for example, you can have your hair in a ponytail with loose ends. Those ends are still free to meet and greet each other. However, if you braid that ponytail, the ends are forced to stay in their lane.

For some hair types, the hair is required to be bound in smaller sections to limit this movement. Pinning hair does the same.

(That's my addition to the above.)

Depending on your hair type having your hair not rub against your clothing isn't enough. You'll have to "freeze" the hair so that strands don't rub and interact with each other.

So for example, you can have your hair in a ponytail with loose ends. Those ends are still free to meet and greet each other. However, if you braid that ponytail, the ends are forced to stay in their lane.

For some hair types, the hair is required to be bound in smaller sections to limit this movement. Pinning hair does the same.

(That's my addition to the above.)
for @Carrie A

Ive streamline my regimen again. No longer using fake hair as a crutch at all. Getting to used to my hair texture and natural thickness. Ive been wearing buns and playing with accessories. I’ve figured out how to make a loose bun while still being smooth. I also stopped setting my hair over night . I put my hair into 2 braids and put on a loose bonnet. Too cheap to get my hair done and I. Don’t feel like cutting anything off at this point

If I don’t reach BSL this year I may just give up and get a short tapered cut

You'll have to "freeze" the hair so that strands don't rub and interact with each other.
@Carrie A highlighted for emphasis

1. I am a huge proponent of keeping my hair semi-stretched to prevent knots. Even when I wash it I allow the stream of water to naturally stretch it and utilize bantu knots so it will not fully draw up or knot while coily. Stretched/frozen hair has less opportunity to coil around itself to form a ssk
  2. Hair that retains lubrication and moisture once dried glides and slips before it locks in a knot. So I make sure I use products that keep my hair moisturized for days to weeks at a time. If I use a product that has to be reapplied every 1-2 days or else my hair is dry then that product doesn't meet the standard to stay in my regimen. To me, a good moisturizer is applied on wash day and keeps my hair supple for a week, at a minimum.
  3. I also like styles that last from days to weeks at a time. (see https://longhaircareforums.com/threads/the-enjoying-our-hair-thread.854985/). Hair that can look nice or only needs minimal maintenance will take longer to dry out and knot.
  4. Frequent searches and destroys prevent ssks from taking healthy hair with it.
  5. I also advocate alternating the states of my hair. Hair worn in the same state all the time hides things.
    1. Hair mostly shrunken hides knots and splits.
    2. Hair mostly straight hides losses in tensile strength/heat damage.
    3. Hair that is always stretched may hide deficits in tensile strength to hold natural coils/curls or styling effects like barrel curls.
    4. Hair that straightens efficiently, reverts efficiently, holds a curl when heat-styled, and retains moisture/strength balance after wash day will indicate overall health.
  6. I intentionally weigh my natural hair down with heavy products or a heavy hair accessory to prevent knots that will naturally form on tight coils.
Sorry more than 1 @Carrie A
Sorry a bit redundant @Chicoro @snoop: Healthy heads of hair think alike!

Last edited:
Any tapered cuts you love?
Ive streamline my regimen again. No longer using fake hair as a crutch at all. Getting to used to my hair texture and natural thickness. Ive been wearing buns and playing with accessories. I’ve figured out how to make a loose bun while still being smooth. I also stopped setting my hair over night . I put my hair into 2 braids and put on a loose bonnet. Too cheap to get my hair done and I. Don’t feel like cutting anything off at this point

If I don’t reach BSL this year I may just give up and get a short tapered cut

I cleaned up my ends last month (photos attached). I am not officially challenging my ends this year but I am keeping them up.
The orange and tan dress is the day after the trim when my press was still new. The blue jumpsuit is about 2 weeks later (the same style not touched up) my hair is just softer and fuller because I was leaving my hair out, every day during an extremely humid heat wave. It is the same length it just falls differently depending on the conditions, age of the style and whether my bump has flattened or is still curved.

Attachments

• summer Trim.jpg
    summer Trim.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Another View of summer 2024 Fresh clipped Ends.jpg
    Another View of summer 2024 Fresh clipped Ends.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 100 Degree Humidity Safari.png
    100 Degree Humidity Safari.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
@Napp how do you do your loose,smooth bun?

After detangling hair in the shower, I gently brush hair back into a ponytail.(Unbrush) Then I apply leave in and cream to the hair for moisture, making sure all strands are coated. I I smooth it down like when After that I apply generous amount of gel on the outer part only and smooth back with my hands. Then I loosely put it up in a claw clip or barrette and let it air dry. I get nice deep waves from doing it this way. And now I don’t have to over manipulate my hair for that super slick look I like

@Carrie A highlighted for emphasis

1. I am a huge proponent of keeping my hair semi-stretched to prevent knots. Even when I wash it I allow the stream of water to naturally stretch it and utilize bantu knots so it will not fully draw up or knot while coily. Stretched/frozen hair has less opportunity to coil around itself to form a ssk
  2. Hair that retains lubrication and moisture once dried glides and slips before it locks in a knot. So I make sure I use products that keep my hair moisturized for days to weeks at a time. If I use a product that has to be reapplied every 1-2 days or else my hair is dry then that product doesn't meet the standard to stay in my regimen. To me, a good moisturizer is applied on wash day and keeps my hair supple for a week, at a minimum.
  3. I also like styles that last from days to weeks at a time. (see https://longhaircareforums.com/threads/the-enjoying-our-hair-thread.854985/). Hair that can look nice or only needs minimal maintenance will take longer to dry out and knot.
  4. Frequent searches and destroys prevent ssks from taking healthy hair with it.
  5. I also advocate alternating the states of my hair. Hair worn in the same state all the time hides things.
    1. Hair moistly shrunken hides knots and splits.
    2. Hair mostly straight hides losses in tensile strength/heat damage.
    3. Hair that is always stretched may not have the tensile strength to hold a natural or barrel curl.
    4. Hair that straightens efficiently, reverts efficiently, holds a curl when heat-styled, and retains moisture/strength balance after wash day will indicate overall health.
  6. I intentionally weigh my natural hair down wiht heavy products or a heavy hair accessory to prevent knots that will naturally form on tight coils.
Sorry more than @Carrie A
Sorry a bit redundant @Chicoro @snoop: Healthy heads of hair think alike!

The bold has me mind blown. I've never heard this before.

Yeah. This isn't to say if someone wears their hair the same way all the time they are automatically going to have a hair issue, because that isn't the case. However, I do have more visibility and areas to gauge the full condition of my hair when I alter its condition. When I wear it in the same state for extended periods that is when a not-so-pleasant surprise can sneak up on me. When I alter it every 6 months or so I can catch stuff in one state that I didn't notice in the state that preceded it.

No, I totally get that it's not a 100% thing. I've been wearing essentially the same style for the past 8 years. But your rational made so much sense.

The bold has me mind blown. I've never heard this before.
Yeah. This isn't to say if someone wears their hair the same way all the time they are automatically going to have a hair issue, because that isn't the case. However, I do have more visibility and areas to gauge the full condition of my hair when I alter its condition. When I wear it in the same state for extended periods that is when a not-so-pleasant surprise can sneak up on me. When I alter it every few months, I can catch stuff in one state that I didn't notice in the state that preceded it.

Yeah. This isn't to say if someone wears their hair the same way all the time they are automatically going to have a hair issue, because that isn't the case. However, I do have more visibility and areas to gauge the full condition of my hair when I alter its condition. When I wear it in the same state for extended periods that is when a not-so-pleasant surprise can sneak up on me. When I alter it every few months, I can catch stuff in one state that I didn't notice in the state that preceded it.
This makes me even more committed to get my blow out hair cuts every 3-4 months because the rest of the time my hair is curly.

Back