Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

Give yourself a hand and a pat on the back if you are still hanging in there, on this healthy ends 2022 journey. I know it's still just February, but sticking to anything is no easy task. Put your paws together and take a moment to show yourself a little appreciation in the middle of February, for staying on the path.

Happy Ends Nurturing and Night Night!​

I flat ironed my hair and my ends look busted. I'm thinking I need to cut my ends to SL and start over. My hair thins in the middle and I don't know why. My hair just seems so thin and I have alot of breakage. I think I may have to head to a salon and get my hair done. Im going to need a big cut. I am going back to wigs as a protective style. I am going to try keep growing my hair out and try to figure out how to retain length before I do the big chop. I'm hoping I can get to BSL and cut it back to a full APL but that sounds like a dream or something.

Sept-Feb_Progress Dated.jpg

I came across a product called Rewind by Brazilian Blowout. Its supposedly the first anti aging hair treatment on the market. No straightening is needed for this treatment to work. It is a professional only product though but its expensive AF. I have my license though so I can get my hands on it. Not sure if it better than Olaplex or K18 but I am going to try it as a last ditch effort to holding on to my raggedy ann ends lol

Attachments

• Sept_-_Feb_Progress_50.jpg
    Sept_-_Feb_Progress_50.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I flat ironed my hair and my ends look busted. I'm thinking I need to cut my ends to SL and start over. My hair thins in the middle and I don't know why. My hair just seems so thin and I have alot of breakage. I think I may have to head to a salon and get my hair done. Im going to need a big cut. I am going back to wigs as a protective style. I am going to try keep growing my hair out and try to figure out how to retain length before I do the big chop. I'm hoping I can get to BSL and cut it back to a full APL but that sounds like a dream or something.

View attachment 478929

I came across a product called Rewind by Brazilian Blowout. Its supposedly the first anti aging hair treatment on the market. No straightening is needed for this treatment to work. It is a professional only product though but its expensive AF. I have my license though so I can get my hands on it. Not sure if it better than Olaplex or K18 but I am going to try it as a last ditch effort to holding on to my raggedy ann ends lol

What are the dates on these photos, please?

You don't see your incredible progress in these photos???????? I am so beside myself I'm talking and spitting like Daffy Duck!
daffy.jpg

Stop the harsh judgment and the criticism of your lovely hair, please. The ends do not look busted. You and your hair deserve to be commended.

Let's do an analysis and and assessment which in principal, is logic based and not emotion based.

Are you serious - I see PROGRESS and growth!!!!! I am assuming the hair on the Left is the before and the hair on the Right is the after.

1. First of all, these are phenomenal side by side before and after pictures. Great job! The clothing choice, placement in front of the background, position of your body and the light are so similar and make the comparison so very clear. That is extremely hard to do AND get it right. You have. Bravo!
  2. Photo on Left: You have hairs in the back that have dropped 2 to 4 inches longer than the bulk of your hair. Some would call that hair scraggly ends. I love to call those kinds of hair, "Lead Hairs". That's because I say they are the Soldier hairs leading the bulk of the hair to newer, longer lengths.
  3. In the [newer/latest] picture on the RIGHT, the bulk of your hair, the majority of your hair has dropped down to the length of those lead hairs. It looks like your hair has literally gained 2 to 3 inches in length, all around the perimeter and ends of the hair. What is the time frame of the photos? And what is your regimen?
  4. Yes, you could cut your hair to shoulder length. It is entirely your decision because it is entirely your hair. That would place you back to where you started and the hair would be all even at that length and about six (6) inches shorter. BUT, you will have lost ALL your length gains. Hair does not grow like a wig in that all hair drops to longer lengths at the same time resulting in the same thickness, at the newer length. Nope.
  5. Hair can look thin and the two main reasons in my book are: Because it is breaking or because it is gaining length. Your hair is gaining length [in my opinion].
  6. Your hair may be thin in the middle because perhaps of the way that you style it. If you consistently part your hair in the middle and separate the hair, you are creating wear and tear on the hair in that parted section. Or, if you wear a bun or single ponytail and sleep with the hair too tightly, that could also be stressing the hair, and breaking the hair in that section. It could also just mean that your hair grows that way. If it grows that way, there are other strategies that you can implement to try to even things out.
  7. You may want to examine what you are doing with your hair as it relates to styling, parting, tightening or etc. I would look at those areas first before [inferring] that the hair is somehow not growing or continuously breaking [on it own] in the middle/or same spot over and over.
  8. If your current hair is the photo on the left, then yes, you have a lot of breakage. If your current hair is the photo on the right, then you have a lot of growth.
  9. If you head to a salon, I can GUARANTEE you that your hair will most likely be cut up to your shoulders, if not even shorter. But if you don't identify the reason WHY your hair is breaking [your words not mine], or if you don't put yourself under the care of a stylist who can help you identify your issues and help you solve them with their great care and knowledge, the only thing you are going to come out with is freshly cut hair.
  10. Your challenge is to identify why your ends are breaking and to figure out why the hair in the middle is thinning. Cutting your hair will not give you the answer. Assume there is something you may or may not be doing to impact the hair. Assume there may be something you are using, such as a product or a styling tool, that could also be impacting your hair in a way that you do not want.
  11. If your goals seem unreachable to you, you are absolutely right. If your goals seem like a stretch, but do-able, you are absolutely right. In this situation, it seems to me to be about perception. I believe it is possible for you to reach your goals but your hair is not my hair.
My suggestion is to continue going with your hair processes because it looks like whatever you are doing is working. I do not see what you see. I do not see busted ends and breakage. I see hair that looks like it has gained 2 to 4 inches of healthy length and has begun to even up at this longer length. Lastly, overall, the hair on the right looks longer, healthier and silkier than the hair on the left. All of those things are the hallmarks of hair that is becoming healthier, longer and more beautiful. 'Tis all.

Proceed as you see best, even if that means cutting your hair. You are lovingly supported in your decisions and choices in this thread.

But you just can't leave this thread, though. devil: You are trapped here, with all the rest, until December 2022.

Last edited:

You don't see your incredible progress in these photos???????? I am so beside myself I'm talking and spitting like Daffy Duck!
View attachment 478933

Stop the harsh judgment and the criticism of your lovely hair, please. The ends do not look busted. You and your hair deserve to be commended.

Let's do an analysis and and assessment which in principal, is logic based and not emotion based.

Are you serious - I see PROGRESS and growth!!!!! I am assuming the hair on the Left is the before and the hair on the Right is the after.

1. First of all, these are phenomenal side by side before and after pictures. Great job! The clothing choice, placement in front of the background, position of your body and the light are so similar and make the comparison so very clear. That is extremely hard to do AND get it right. You have. Bravo!
  2. Photo on Left: You have hairs in the back that have dropped 2 to 4 inches longer than the bulk of your hair. Some would call that hair scraggly ends. I love to call those kinds of hair, "Lead Hairs". That's because I say they are the Soldier hairs leading the bulk of the hair to newer, longer lengths.
  3. In the [newer/latest] picture on the RIGHT, the bulk of your hair, the majority of your hair has dropped down to the length of those lead hairs. It looks like your hair has literally gained 2 to 3 inches in length, all around the perimeter and ends of the hair. What is the time frame of the photos? And what is your regimen?
  4. Yes, you could cut your hair to shoulder length. It is entirely your decision because it is entirely your hair. That would place you back to where you started and the hair would be all even at that length and about six (6) inches shorter. BUT, you will have lost ALL your length gains. Hair does not grow like a wig in that all hair drops to longer lengths at the same time resulting in the same thickness, at the newer length. Nope.
  5. Hair can look thin and the two main reasons in my book are: Because it is breaking or because it is gaining length. Your hair is gaining length [in my opinion].
  6. Your hair may be thin in the middle because perhaps of the way that you style it. If you consistently part your hair in the middle and separate the hair, you are creating wear and tear on the hair in that parted section. Or, if you wear a bun or single ponytail and sleep with the hair too tightly, that could also be stressing the hair, and breaking the hair in that section. It could also just mean that your hair grows that way. If it grows that way, there are other strategies that you can implement to try to even things out.
  7. You may want to examine what you are doing with your hair as it relates to styling, parting, tightening or etc. I would look at those areas first before [inferring] that the hair is somehow not growing or continuously breaking [on it own] in the middle/or same spot over and over.
  8. If your current hair is the photo on the left, then yes, you have a lot of breakage. If your current hair is the photo on the right, then you have a lot of growth.
  9. If you head to a salon, I can GUARANTEE you that your hair will most likely be cut up to your shoulders, if not even shorter. But if you don't identify the reason WHY your hair is breaking [your words not mine], or if you don't put yourself under the care of a stylist who can help you identify your issues and help you solve them with their great care and knowledge, the only thing you are going to come out with is freshly cut hair.
  10. Your challenge is to identify why your ends are breaking and to figure out why the hair in the middle is thinning. Cutting your hair will not give you the answer. Assume there is something you may or may not be doing to impact the hair. Assume there may be something you are using, such as a product or a styling tool, that could also be impacting your hair in a way that you do not want.
  11. If your goals seem unreachable to you, you are absolutely right. If your goals seem like a stretch, but do-able, you are absolutely right. In this situation, it seems to me to be about perception. I believe it is possible for you to reach your goals but your hair is not my hair.
My suggestion is to continue going with your hair processes because it looks like whatever you are doing is working. I do not see what you see. I do not see busted ends and breakage. I see hair that looks like it has gained 2 to 4 inches of healthy length and has begun to even up at this longer length. Lastly, overall, the hair on the right looks longer, healthier and silkier than the hair on the left. All of those things are the hallmarks of hair that is becoming healthier, longer and more beautiful. 'Tis all.

Proceed as you see best, even if that means cutting your hair. You are lovingly supported in your decisions and choices in this thread.

But you just can't leave this thread, though. devil: You are trapped here, with all the rest, until December 2022.

All of this information is so on point, but this bit regarding thinness in the middle back of the hair is absolutely spot on! I have to think very carefully how I'm sleeping and how I'm setting my hair at night because of this very issue.

Give yourself a hand and a pat on the back if you are still hanging in there, on this healthy ends 2022 journey. I know it's still just February, but sticking to anything is no easy task. Put your paws together and take a moment to show yourself a little appreciation in the middle of February, for staying on the path.

Happy Ends Nurturing and Night Night!​

:lol: I’m hanging in there and praying my hair feets hang even longer! :lol:

@Napp

I agree with everything that Chicoro and LushLox said. Maybe you are just experiencing winter blues and it is affecting you.

I recommend waiting until Spring to do anything drastic. What you are doing looks like it is working to me. Reset your hair weekly, even with wigs to make sure you are giving your scalp and hair enough water. Your breakage could just be due to trying to go too long between wash days. Moisturizing your hair helps your hair but the scalp needs water because it is still skin that needs to be hydrated.

Take some deep breaths and look at your pictures again with fresh eyes. :bighug:

AA3BA678-404A-48E9-88B3-C8DC3DAAB997.jpegC07C31A5-449A-4682-A76C-F027A24528CC.jpeg
Newest photos.
I’m getting better with my Denman brush. Thank you @Napp for the videos you posted here and in another thread! It has helped me tremendously! I have fallen back in love with my curly hair!
I stated in a previous post that I had my stylist cut my hair, so that I could wear it straight in a bob. I’m no longer interested in that. I’m loving my curls! Now I’m like dang! I shouldn’t have cut my hair. I lost between 1”-3” in length. I’m at neck length instead of shoulder length now.
I just want to state that this is my fault. The stylist did what I asked and she did a great job.

View attachment 478959View attachment 478961
Newest photos.
I’m getting better with my Denman brush. Thank you @Napp for the videos you posted here and in another thread! It has helped me tremendously! I have fallen back in love with my curly hair!
I stated in a previous post that I had my stylist cut my hair, so that I could wear it straight in a bob. I’m no longer interested in that. I’m loving my curls! Now I’m like dang! I shouldn’t have cut my hair. I lost between 1”-3” in length. I’m at neck length instead of shoulder length now.
I just want to state that this is my fault. The stylist did what I asked and she did a great job.
Your curls are really cute. Glad you are enjoying your curls :yep:

View attachment 478933

Thank you for that analysis! I think I will keep my length and work on curbing the breakage. I did give myself a tiny (1/8th of an inch) trim but I would like an all over trim. I don't want to throw my progress away. I think my hair is just naturally thinner in the middle when I think about it. I have always had this issue but it is less apparent as a natural. And I updated the pic to reflect the dates. My goal is to retain most of my growth this year.

Thank you for that analysis! I think I will keep my length and work on curbing the breakage. I did give myself a tiny (1/8th of an inch) trim but I would like an all over trim. I don't want to throw my progress away. I think my hair is just naturally thinner in the middle when I think about it. I have always had this issue but it is less apparent as a natural. And I updated the pic to reflect the dates. My goal is to retain most of my growth this year.
I love the tone [of voice] in this post. It reflects what I ALWAYS say about gaining length on Afro-Textured hair:

"It's a thinking game, not a guessing game."

You are thinking and analyzing based on logic. That's how you win the long game. Congratulations!

View attachment 478959View attachment 478961
Newest photos.

Curls are popping! Your hair looks cute. I want to add that making a decision to cut your hair and having that be YOUR decision, is the best situation to have because you were the one in control. Now, you've made another decision to go in a different direction and that's okay, too. What's important here is the fact that YOU are the one exercising control. You are not a 'victim' in the stylist's chair. You have empowered yourself and that is what counts!

@Napp

Can you refresh my memory, or point me to the post where you have your regimen, please? I want to see what you are doing to have made so much progress in such a short amount of time. Can you list your products, processes, what you do daily, weekly and monthly and any treatments you do that fall outside of the daily, weekly and monthly routines? Also, are you taking any vitamins or supplements?

Olaplex #5 is NOT for me. That's the conditioner. My hair looked like I have been growing dreadlocks for 2 years. The matting that ensued after using that product was a mess. I am going to have to re-do my hair. I would liken this product to the conditioner you get in the Aphogee 2 Step package: drying, zero slip and provides no moisture.

I went to 4 stores looking for Olaplex 0 last night. I came up with ZERO. It seems my secret stores are not so secret anymore because even they were out of the product. They were out of Olaplex 0 and Olaplex 4. I'll be staying away from Olaplex 4 shampoo as well. I like Olaplex treatment products but the maintenance products, such as the shampoo and conditioner products, don't seem to be formulated for my afro-textured hair.

I went to 4 stores looking for Olaplex 0 last night. I came up with ZERO. It seems my secret stores are not so secret anymore because even they were out of the product. They were out of Olaplex 0 and Olaplex 4. I'll be staying away from Olaplex 4 shampoo as well. I like Olaplex treatment products but the maintenance products, such as the shampoo and conditioner products, don't seem to be formulated for my afro-textured hair.
Agreed! Using more than 2-3 products from Olaplex gives you protein overload without the actual protein. I’m currently using Olaplex #3 as a weekly leave-in conditioner. I’m not using the shampoo or conditioner right now. I still have half a bottle of #0 left, that I’m currently not using. I don’t think it’s necessary at this time and it can also be time consuming to use. I may just be a little lazy though, lol.

:wave: Hi ladies, I'm still here! I had to transition to using my laptop instead of my phone so I can fully participate in the challenges I entered for 2022. I've been indulging in new habits (most are healthy :grin:) that are keeping me off of the internet and busy in my real life.

I've been keeping up with my weekly DCs using heat, and did my once per month DC using steam this past week. I DC on the weekend and moisturize and re-twist once during the week. I am rethinking that schedule and will probably add another moisturize-day during the week. That will probably just be a whole head spritz and baggy situation so that I'm not re-doing the twists and manipulating my TWA for a third time during the week.

I'm planning to do a one-step hendigo treatment soon, to keep the grays at bay.

I picked up 4 Soultanicals salon sized items recently and I'm trying to stick to one product so that I can judge it fairly, but that's hard to do. I'm a big fan of the Afrotastic Curl Elastic so I got it, the Marula Moisture, Chebe-Ginger and the Knot Sauce.

I think that's all. :look:

:wave: Hi ladies, I'm still here! I had to transition to using my laptop instead of my phone so I can fully participate in the challenges I entered for 2022. I've been indulging in new habits (most are healthy :grin:) that are keeping me off of the internet and busy in my real life.

I've been keeping up with my weekly DCs using heat, and did my once per month DC using steam this past week. I DC on the weekend and moisturize and re-twist once during the week. I am rethinking that schedule and will probably add another moisturize-day during the week. That will probably just be a whole head spritz and baggy situation so that I'm not re-doing the twists and manipulating my TWA for a third time during the week.

I'm planning to do a one-step hendigo treatment soon, to keep the grays at bay.

I picked up 4 Soultanicals salon sized items recently and I'm trying to stick to one product so that I can judge it fairly, but that's hard to do. I'm a big fan of the Afrotastic Curl Elastic so I got it, the Marula Moisture, Chebe-Ginger and the Knot Sauce.

I think that's all. :look:

Afrotastic Curl Elastic is a fabulous name for a product!

K18 at the beginning of a hair journey and the visible impact of no broken hairs:

I saw this women and I kept staring at her hair. She was not black. She had red hair and she was European. I finally had to tell her how beautiful her hair was. I was confused as to why I was so fascinated and enthralled by the beauty of her hair.

Then I GOT IT!

She did not have ONE SINGLE [visible] broken hair strand from root to tip! She had her hair loosened and it hung to about bra-strap. Her ends looked freshly trimmed and perfectly even. I stared hard and that was IT!

I asked her if she received any treatments. She told me her hair was totally natural.

I could see how K18 could benefit someone who has big chopped and is newly natural. Or, someone right at collarbone or at the top of the shoulders in length.

K18 could help that person to maintain and minimize broken hairs as they start their journey and while they continue to gain length.

That lady's hair was gorgeous. It shimmered and glistened like a magazine photo or a picture that had been photoshoped for one of those hair color commercials.

When hair does not show any visible broken hairs, it is absolutely magnificent looking. I've never pinpointed that before or thought of this before. It was obvious that she took great care of her hair.

Coated hair!

I know what my issue is with the Olaplex No. 5 Conditioner. It coated my hair and not in a good way. I won't be washing it out though. Lesson learned. But Olaplex No. 0 and Olaplex No. 3 more than make up for it. I really like the way 0 and 3 make my hair feel.

Back