Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022

I think a 16 week trim schedule (for me) is perfect. My ends are tucked away most of the time, so the damage is kept to a minimum, however I eventually will still get the thinning on the ends so it's prudent just to trim those ends away around that 16 week point, in doing so I'm not seeing the thinning as much as I did previously. Works for me

I used a scalp treatment thing earlier, then did a moisture and seal. Hair is back in their Pocahontas braids and pinned up. I look like a milk maid but that's okay :lol:

I'm going to wash and dc either tomorrow or Monday.

Anybody noticing any changes in their Hair Ends appearance? Feel? Braid-ability? Breakage? Etc?

The Olaplex really does help me with the breakage. My hair feels quite strong and I don't experience as much hair fall; ends feel smooth and soft. I got the spray version of No 0 and that is soooo much better. My routine feels really simple but effective, which is good cause I'm not great with 5837 different steps.

I'm going to bite the bullet and just buy a few more of 0 and 3, then I don't have to think about it for a while.

The Olaplex really does help me with the breakage. My hair feels quite strong and I don't experience as much hair fall; ends feel smooth and soft. I got the spray version of No 0 and that is soooo much better. My routine feels really simple but effective, which is good cause I'm not great with 5837 different steps.

I'm going to bite the bullet and just buy a few more of 0 and 3, then I don't have to think about it for a while.
Yes! I was happy when I found out that the NEW bottle of Olaplex No. 0 was a spray. I was scared that it was the old bottle and they were replacing it with that horrible squeeze bottle. I, too love that spray bottle. It makes it so much easier to use and apply the product.

Glad to hear that you are already noticing a difference!!!!! And with a simple routine to boot!

Yes! I was happy when I found out that the NEW bottle of Olaplex No. 0 was a spray. I was scared that it was the old bottle and they were replacing it with that horrible squeeze bottle. I, too love that spray bottle. It makes it so much easier to use and apply the product.

Glad to hear that you are already noticing a difference!!!!! And with a simple routine to boot!
Isn’t Olaplex used as a protein treatment sometimes? That’s what I remember when it first came out years ago

Isn’t Olaplex used as a protein treatment sometimes? That’s what I remember when it first came out years ago

No.

It is not a protein.

It is a bonder.

The active ingredient in Olaplex takes sulfur molecule 1 and finds another sulfur molecule 2, and gets between them to hold them together. It makes 'fake' disulfide bonds. It artificially connects 2 separated sulfur (disulfide) bonds by connecting to one and the other and being between them both. Bonding is on the inside.

Protein works on the surface of the hair strand.

No.

It is not a protein.

It is a bonder.

The active ingredient in Olaplex takes sulfur molecule 1 and finds another sulfur molecule 2, and gets between them to hold them together. It makes 'fake' disulfide bonds. It artificially connects 2 separated sulfur (disulfide) bonds by connecting to one and the other and being between them both. Bonding is on the inside.

Protein works on the surface of the hair strand.
Got it! I thought protein treatments worked by repairing the disulfide bonds of the hair. So they do it on the surface of the hair while Olaplex does it within the hair? Or do protein treatments just coat the hair with strength and don’t even touch the disulfide bonds since those bonds are only inside the hair shaft.

Hey! I'm Still in! :happydance:

I've incorporated warm water oil rinsing after DC'ing. (Been using EVOO, Hempseed, Pumpkin Seed, Rice Bran, etc...as an Oil Rinse).

I recently snatched up Olaplex 0 + 3. Will incorporate as well.

The warm water oil rinsing is keeping my ends frizz free during this cold snap.:cold:

Got it! I thought protein treatments worked by repairing the disulfide bonds of the hair. So they do it on the surface of the hair while Olaplex does it within the hair? Or do protein treatments just coat the hair to with strength and don’t even touch the disulfide bonds since those bonds are only inside the hair shaft.

No.

Protein works at a physical level. It coats the hair and covers over and seals cracks, holes and missing pieces on the physical hair strand. Some protein may enter into the hair strand like putty fills a wall. Collagen protein is a large molecule. It sticks to or on top of the hair. Collagen is hydrolyzed, meaning it is broken down to smaller components to better work on the hair.

Olaplex works on a molecular level. What it's doing is hooking together S-S molecules within the hair strand. It's a much smaller molecule and it is chemically active in that it does something. It REACTS with the sulfur in the hair.

Protein gets on the hair and just lays there. It washes away with the next wash. Olaplex does not wash away. Theoretically, once it reforms or reconnects two sulfur bonds, those sulfur bonds stay connected FOREVER! But, heat, and chemicals and other stuff constantly are breaking disulfide bonds. Olaplex's job is never done! We keep breaking disulfide bonds, new ones and different ones, every day.

Thus, you are using Olaplex to address the new bonds that were broken from the last Olaplex application. Olaplex doesn't wash away. Whatever amount of Olaplex you put in last time is holding down the sulfur molecules it connected to when you first put it on there. This new crop of Olaplex product is deployed to hook up and connect any newly created broken disulfide bonds. Thus, you must reapply the Olaplex product for this reason.

Protein washes off. Olaplex does not wash out or off.

I've incorporated warm water oil rinsing after DC'ing. (Been using EVOO, Hempseed, Pumpkin Seed, Rice Bran, etc...as an Oil Rinse).

The warm water oil rinsing is keeping my ends frizz free during this cold snap.:cold:

Yes, yes! Great decision to implement Olaplex 0 and 3!

I need to start doing careful measurements like you. I have so much shrinkage that I have a hard time telling if my hair is growing. But it’s also hard to measure I’m not coordinated enough to pull my hair and handle the tape measure.
I changed my mind. Trying to stretch and measure curly hair is a lot if work, and the results don’t seem like they will be very accurate or repeatable.

No.

Protein works at a physical level. It coats the hair and covers over and seals cracks, holes and missing pieces on the physical hair strand. Some protein may enter into the hair strand like putty fills a wall. Collagen protein is a large molecule. It sticks to or on top of the hair. Collagen is hydrolyzed, meaning it is broken down to smaller components to better work on the hair.

Olaplex works on a molecular level. What it's doing is hooking together S-S molecules within the hair strand. It's a much smaller molecule and it is chemically active in that it does something. It REACTS with the sulfur in the hair.

Protein gets on the hair and just lays there. It washes away with the next wash. Olaplex does not wash away. Theoretically, once it reforms or reconnects two sulfur bonds, those sulfur bonds stay connected FOREVER! But, heat, and chemicals and other stuff constantly are breaking disulfide bonds. Olaplex's job is never done! We keep breaking disulfide bonds, new ones and different ones, every day.

Thus, you are using Olaplex to address the new bonds that were broken from the last Olaplex application. Olaplex doesn't wash away. Whatever amount of Olaplex you put in last time is holding down the sulfur molecules it connected to when you first put it on there. This new crop of Olaplex product is deployed to hook up and connect any newly created broken disulfide bonds. Thus, you must reapply the Olaplex product for this reason.

Protein washes off. Olaplex does not wash out or off.
It makes sense! Thank you for explaining! :yep:

I changed my mind. Trying to stretch and measure curly hair is a lot if work, and the results don’t seem like they will be very accurate or repeatable.
You are right. The advantage I may have is two fold. First, I wear the same hairstyle. Second, my hair is sectioned and I retain those same sections over long periods of time.

What you may want to come consider is finding a ‘representational’ section of hair that is near a body part. For example, measure the section of hair just over the left ear. Or, pull a section of hair and see how far it goes past your armpits. I do all this measuring because I like to do it.
But, for me too, I have to make constant adjustments and remeasure.

By the way, it seems I did not see your length measure comments the first time you posted it. I just now caught it, excuse me!

This video compares Curl vs Olaplex 3 vs Aphogee 2 Step. She has a great comparison chart at around 5:29 in the video.

My thoughts:

Aphogee 2 Step - Is protein. It is hydrolyzed collagen. She has the ingredient incorrect as hydrolyzed vegetable protein. It is collagen protein, not vegetable protein. Hydrolyzed collagen protein is an amino acid. It is made up of 33% glycine (just like Curlsmith) with proline and another ingredient). Aphogee coats the hair and enters into the hair strand. It bonds to the surface materials of the hair, which are helped along by the heat and hardening of the product. It washes out.

Curlsmith - Is protein. I would not consider it a bonder like Olaplex. The active ingredient is CREATINE. Creatine consists of the amino acids glycine and arginine. It is TEMPORARY in that it goes into the hair because it is a tiny amino acid BUT, it is washed away. Yes, the name is a bonder, but it works just like Aphogee 2 Step.

Olaplex - Is NOT a protein. I do consider this a bonder. Once the Olaplex molecule binds the disulphide bonds together, they are bound FOREVER. You need Olaplex because we are constantly BREAKING disulphied bonds. Once bonded, it does not wash out. You need it to tackle the other bonds you just messed up.

All three (3) of these products bond to the hair. Aphogee 2 Step and Curlsmith bond to the physical substrate, or hair strand. They adsorb onto the hair and absorb into the hair. (Adsorb and absorb are two very different processes. This is not a typo... this time.)

The difference with Olaplex is that it absorbs on a molecular level. It combines and bonds with molecules which create and make up the physical subsrate of the hair. That is not the same thing as Aphogee and Curlsmith.

I would suggest one use Aphogee 2 + Olaplex 0 and 3.

I would suggest one use Curlsmith and Olaplex 0 and 3.

I would not suggest one use Curlsmoth and Aphogee 2 together. That's too much protein.

This is where I get a little confused. How do I safely incorporate a stronger protein to adsorb the cuticle? What would be a baseline schedule for protein application for a newbie? I don’t wan’t to overdo it.

It doesn’t help when stylist keep saying to use it on an as needed basis much like clarifying hair.

This is where I get a little confused. How do I safely incorporate a stronger protein to adsorb the cuticle? What would be a baseline schedule for protein application for a newbie? I don’t wan’t to overdo it.

It doesn’t help when stylist keep saying to use it on an as needed basis much like clarifying hair.
All hair is different. So, you have to find your own way.

But a suggested baseline schedule for a HARD protein, such as Aphogee 2 Step (NOT Aphogee 2 Minute), is every 8 weeks, or every 2 months. Document this treatment date in your calendar. Schedule another one, tentatively, 2 months from now. Consider starting with this.

Photograph your hair, take written notes. Observe your own hair. How does the hair look? Feel? How does the hair move? Aphogee 2 Step 'wears off', sort of. At the next 2 month period, decide if you hair is the better, the same or worse with Aphogee 2 Step. By the way, the Aphogee 2 Step is in reference to the protein product AND the conditioner. Most of us don't like the conditioner, which is Step 2. We either use our own deep conditioner or doctor up that conditioner they provide which has very little slip and does not moisturize afro textured hair in general and even less after the VERY drying Aphogee 2 Step Treatment.

If you have documented enough info, some indication usually pops up to help you determine the next step for you and your hair.

Next Steps:
  • Do another Aphogee 2 treatment at this new 2 month mark. Because you can feel the treatment wearing off and it felt better after the treatment.
  • Do not do another treatment because the hair still feels good.
  • Do not do another treatment because the hair did not do well with Aphogee.
  • Do not do another treatment as you saw no difference.
  • Do another Aphogee 2 treatment because you are not sure if the hair got better but nothing bad happened.
What to look for one or more of these things after an Aphogee 2 Step Treatment:
More shine on your styled hair.
Hair is more springy.
Hair has better formed curls or more obvious texture.
Hair has shrunken up and/or drawn up.

Olaplex can fit anywhere in this is process as it is not a protein treatment. It is a Sulfur to Sulfur bonding treatment.

YOU have to determine how often an Aphogee 2 Step treatment is needed by getting to know and understand your hair before, during and after the treatment. Observe, document and study your hair. It takes work and a process.

There is no magic product and no magical timeline that works for sure for everyone and everything. This is why gaining healthy length on afro-textured hair can be challenging. To get Afro Textured hair to flourish and thrive is a Thinking Game, not a Guessing Game. That thinking comes with analysis, experience and practice.

Stick with us. Many of the women in this specific thread have very long hair and even MORE knowledge about afro textured hair. If their hair is not super long, it usually is super healthy and beautiful. Most of us have had setbacks. Thus, some of us may be in this thread because we are trying to get our hair back to where it was before our setback. Setbacks provide great learning opportunities and set you up for a comeback! Just keep helping yourself, learning your hair and asking questions.

This is January. If I'm not mistaken, we all are going to be here for the next 11 months! Girl, we got you! Meaning we got your back, and you are trapped in this thread! Might as well make the best of it!

I will say that there is something magical about these challenges that happens when people participate and engaged. We start connecting information and knowledge and have amazing realizations and aha moments. It's already happened with our mini- Olaplex discussion within this thread.

Get ready to become and expert! I predict by the time this challenge is over, and you stick with it, you are going to know MORE than most of these stylist, especially when it comes to your own hair! I can't wait to see you and your hair thrive! Get ready!

Last edited:
You are right. The advantage I may have is two fold. First, I wear the same hairstyle. Second, my hair is sectioned and I retain those same sections over long periods of time.

What you may want to come consider is finding a ‘representational’ section of hair that is near a body part. For example, measure the section of hair just over the left ear. Or, pull a section of hair and see how far it goes past your armpits. I do all this measuring because I like to do it.
But, for me too, I have to make constant adjustments and remeasure.

By the way, it seems I did not see your length measure comments the first time you posted it. I just now caught it, excuse me!
This is what I used to do and I would take a picture each month. Maybe I’ll go back to that. It’s much easier.

I'm surprised you've waited so long to try it. It gets us all in the end! :lol:

It's a very good treatment, I'm sure you'll love it.

This video compares Curl vs Olaplex 3 vs Aphogee 2 Step. She has a great comparison chart at around 5:29 in the video.

My thoughts:

Aphogee 2 Step - Is protein. It is hydrolyzed collagen. She has the ingredient incorrect as hydrolyzed vegetable protein. It is collagen protein, not vegetable protein. Hydrolyzed collagen protein is an amino acid. It is made up of 33% glycine (just like Curlsmith) with proline and another ingredient). Aphogee coats the hair and enters into the hair strand. It bonds to the surface materials of the hair, which are helped along by the heat and hardening of the product. It washes out.

Curlsmith - Is protein. I would not consider it a bonder like Olaplex. The active ingredient is CREATINE. Creatine consists of the amino acids glycine and arginine. It is TEMPORARY in that it goes into the hair because it is a tiny amino acid BUT, it is washed away. Yes, the name is a bonder, but it works just like Aphogee 2 Step.

Olaplex - Is NOT a protein. I do consider this a bonder. Once the Olaplex molecule binds the disulphide bonds together, they are bound FOREVER. You need Olaplex because we are constantly BREAKING disulphied bonds. Once bonded, it does not wash out. You need it to tackle the other bonds you just messed up.

All three (3) of these products bond to the hair. Aphogee 2 Step and Curlsmith bond to the physical substrate, or hair strand. They adsorb onto the hair and absorb into the hair. (Adsorb and absorb are two very different processes. This is not a typo... this time.)

The difference with Olaplex is that it absorbs on a molecular level. It combines and bonds with molecules which create and make up the physical subsrate of the hair. That is not the same thing as Aphogee and Curlsmith.

I would suggest one use Aphogee 2 + Olaplex 0 and 3.

I would suggest one use Curlsmith and Olaplex 0 and 3.

I would not suggest one use Curlsmoth and Aphogee 2 together. That's too much protein.

Ok you’ve got me convinced!! I need Olaplex in my life!! Can I just skip out on Aphoghee 2 altogether though?

Ok you’ve got me convinced!! I need Olaplex in my life!! Can I just skip out on Aphoghee 2 altogether though?
You can, with caveats. Skip Aphogee 2 Step if you determined, after careful thought and analysis, that it is not necessary for your hair needs. Do not skip it simply because you find it an extra, cumbersome step you do not want to do. Olaplex CANNOT do what Aphogee 2 Step does.

@LushLox
Yes...Girl! :look:

I kept saying I wasn't going to buy it, but ya'll keep talmbout it, so you know what happened next.:perplexed:...:nono:

It came yesterday.:ohwell:
You've made a decision based on research, others experience and your own analysis. Why would that be a negative thing? That's the BEST way to potentially make the BEST decisions. I think you should celebrate yourself and your decision! Bravo!

My last trim was in July. Ends are still really healthy and still somewhat blunt. My hair has grown a few inches since then. I found a small broken spot towards the back. I'll get a trim when I take down these knot less braids. I've been using rice water for the last couple days trying to squeeze out another inch before my trim.

Can someone explain to me why blunt cuts (hemlines) can potentially cause more damage than tapered. I've seen this on the board over the years and it makes no sense to me...

But the same happens with my natural nails so there must be something to it...I just can't figure out how it why.

Explain it like I'm 5, please.

Back