Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2012

My ends just seemed mangled. I don't know if it is the bunning, the cowashing or if they are just fine and seem mangled. :perplexed: My ends have been mysterious since I started my hair journey so I can never really tell whether they are ok or not.

Took down the ends of my flat twists, spritzed them, coated them with a shea butter blend, combed through them with a wide tooth comb and then with my denman. I think my ends need a little combing and stretching more often than I do.

I think just my fingers isn't doing the job.

faithVA
How often are you bunning? I bun 5 days and wear my hair out for 2. If I wear twist outs and braid outs to often back to back (without a break in between) My hair also feels tangled, especially at the ends.

@faithVA
How often are you bunning? I bun 5 days and wear my hair out for 2. If I wear twist outs and braid outs to often back to back (without a break in between) My hair also feels tangled, especially at the ends.

I don't bun often. I have only tried it two weeks. And I may have worn a bun for 2 or 3 days out of that week. I've tried it both wet and dry. I think my ends bunched up like that doesn't go well. And my hair isn't quite long enough to twist or braid it first.

I rarely wear a twist out or a braid out. I am usually in twists.

faithVA I try to keep my ends detangled and stretched, even when I do twist outs and braids (I have to put rollers at the end). Otherwise my ends look scraggly. I wouldnt be concerned, just keep extra moisture on your ends and maybe try something other than finger combing (which tangles my hair more in the long run) :)

Since I have my hair in flat twists, I am going to try for moisturizing and sealing every morning. I have some sprays to use up so this will be good and I will seal with the shea butter mix I also want to use up. When I use up these products I think I will go back to the Shea Moisture Smoothie and try it again.

This morning I moisturized my ends with liquid mix of things and sealed with my shea butter mix.

ugh my ends. I haven't been using heat and so I don't have any splits. They are healthy and moisturized. The only issue is they look thin. I think it's the way my hair grows. I have a tail and it's right at Wl and all my other hair is at mbl. I'm going to wait to see if it catches up. It usually does. I've been using My Elasta qp moisturizer and diluted lacio lacio on my ends.

ugh my ends. I haven't been using heat and so I don't have any splits. They are healthy and moisturized. The only issue is they look thin. I think it's the way my hair grows. I have a tail and it's right at Wl and all my other hair is at mbl. I'm going to wait to see if it catches up. It usually does. I've been using My Elasta qp moisturizer and diluted lacio lacio on my ends.

Well if they are healthy then I agree definitely just wait it out and let them fill in. You will be glad you did. I think many of us wish that is the only problem we had with our ends :yep:

Let it grow! Let it grow! Let it grow!

One thing that has been working for me regarding smooth ends after a day of bunning is that when I bun, I make two twists, dip the tips (--up to 3.5' of it) in my oil mixture, smooth it out then twist the two twists together and wrap it into my bun. When I take my hair down at the end of the day, my ends are smooth and neat. Not crunchy. This may work for someone else too.

Last edited:
Just finished moisturizing and sealing my ends for the night. I have been quite consistent but just haven't posted everyday.

Just finished moisturizing and sealing my ends for the night. I have been quite consistent but just haven't posted everyday.

Great. Keep up the consistency. And don't worry about posting every day. As long as you check in regularly we appreciate it.

@Aggie how's that working out for you? What do you use? How often? I have been thinking about trying it.

LexaKing,

It is working very well for me. I use either KeraCare Oil Moisturizer with Jojoba Oil or BB Oil Moisturizing Lotion with Castor Oil and I seal with JBCO.

I would baggy about 1-3 times a week depending on how my hair is behaving. If it is super dry, then 3 times but if it holding moisture well, I stick to once a week. I don't want my hair too mushy.

I keep it fairly moisturized now anyway because I do not want another setback with dried out split ends. I hardly get breakage anymore and I handle my hair very gently now.

My texlaxed hair acts a lot like my hair when it was fully natural and needs a lot of gentle handling and I am very mindful of that. My hair's love jones come down on her when I handle her - so much love:lol:!

Just moisturizer and sealed my ends. Wrapping my hair for the night, protective bun tomorrow. It's almost been a month since I got an inch taken off, I hope my hair is closer to the length it was AND healthier :)

My ends feel pretty good when I am conditioning :look: Let's see how they look and feel when I start styling :yep:

I'm traveling and it looks like I forgot to put my mango butter in my suitcase. So I had to coat my ends with Claudie's Coffee conditioning cream instead.

Just finished moisturizing my ends but I didn't seal because I will be DCing tomorrow anyway.

I realized that if I go a day or two without moisturizing my hair it feels different and dry. My hair is really thriving on M&S daily! And hopefully I'm retaining length better, I'll know in a couple weeks when I do a length check.

I realized that if I go a day or two without moisturizing my hair it feels different and dry. My hair is really thriving on M&S daily! And hopefully I'm retaining length better, I'll know in a couple weeks when I do a length check.

I feel the same way about the bolded LexaKing. Two days and my hair feel all dried out:yep:.

I just finished my hair moisturizing session a few minutes ago. Yum!

Is it too late to join this challenge?

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc Relaxed
2. Current Hair Length BSB grazing bra strap.
3. The issue(s) you are having with your endsNo splits but ends are beginning to look a bit thinner.
4. What you have tried to improve your endsNothing yet I just noticed. My sis thinks its part of my hair growth pattern (thick then growth boost, then thin, then thick again
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends I'm thinking of a dusting/ teeny weeny trim and I've re-introduced my oil prepoos on the ends
6. Optional: share your current hair measurements either in inches or body lengths (SL, APL). You may want a record of where you started. I'll measure inches

Will be back to edit later

Last edited:
Is it too late to join this challenge?

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc Relaxed
2. Current Hair Length BSB grazing bra strap.
3. The issue(s) you are having with your endsNo splits but ends are beginning to look a bit thinner.
4. What you have tried to improve your endsNothing yet I just noticed. My sis thinks its part of my hair growth pattern (thick then growth boost, then thin, then thick again
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends I'm thinking of a dusting/ teeny weeny trim and I've re-introduced my oil prepoos on the ends
6. Optional: share your current hair measurements either in inches or body lengths (SL, APL). You may want a record of where you started. I'll measure inches

Will be back to edit later

No its not too late for healthy ends :yep: If I forget to put your name on the challengers list please remind me. Have a lot going on at the moment.

I had been using AO GPB weekly to get my moisture protein balance right. I think that is too much for me. So I am switching to using it 1x a month and then using the White Camellia for every other wash. I also will start spraying my hair with water on take down before washing to make my hair easier to work with to see if I can reduce some of the breakage.

And I will just trying to keep up with moisturizing and sealing on a regular basis. Still trying to work that mid-week cowash in :nono: Hasn't happened yet.

Hopefully I will see some turn around.

I got some original HE long term split end protector and it's smells AMAZING!!! can't wait to use it tonight for my ends :)

I trimmed myself back to apl due to splits, baggied last night. Ends feel smooth so I'm going to continue baggying 3x a week with avj, co, and argan oil. I may have to trim a few millimeters each week to keep splits minimal.

Hey bellas, just checkin in. My hair is doing well, i have figured out the shampoos, dcs, and protein conditioners my hair likes but now trying to figure out the oil and moisturizers i should use. Shea butter seems to have worked well in the past for baggying, but i am trying to figure out a consistent reggie w my disjointed stash. I hav wgo, evco, shea butter, sweet almond oil, ubh, and ntm moisturizer.

I do kno Castor oil and evoo are too heavy, but basically entering trial and era phase to see which combo of the others will work best for baggying/daily use. Im dreading it bc i feel like my hair may get mad at me for experimenting on it (:naughty:). Post updates w everyone soon!!!

Back