Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2012

Could I be a little spastic and announce that I'm taking this
Thing out tomorrow? Maybe I spend too much time on the Internet but I feel my scalp itching and I still have some tension after my install on Saturday. I am scared though. Taking out and continuing my normal reggie. Money down the drain but I can't handle a retention setback.

You have to do what you think it is right. Maybe it will feel fabulous in the morning. But if you wake up and are still concerned follow your instincts.

Just moisturized my ends with AOHC and then sealed with my castor-safflower oil blend.
I also need to get more ACV...I barely had enough for my last rinse, and as a result, my ends are not as smooth and soft as they should be.

faithVA...it's coming out Friday. I made an appointment. I'm just too stressed that my hair will thin out or the weave is too tight. I may be overreacting but I can't handle any setbacks. My hair left out is also harder to keep moist. I'll go back to retention the old fashioned way...baggying and wearing my hair up loosely.

Im running into trouble with my ends. They are a field of ssk's everywhere. It makes my hair feel rough and dry. Im a length whore and dont want to cut off hair. I think i will but first i need to know how to prevent these ssk's. There would be no point in me cutting them off and not knowing how to prevent them, they'll come right back.

Im thinking about oil rinsing, and treating my ends with bentonite clay ( my ends usually feel better with this). I also read a thread about twirling my hair to moisturize.

Any tips?

I'm late, but count me in
I just cut my hair and want to focus on keeping my fresh ends luscious and healthy!

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc
Natural
2. Current Hair Length
APL, 15 inches from crown to ends
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends
I use direct heat to straighten, so I'm always working to keep up my moisture and protein balance. I've pseudo-committed to growing my hair out this year, so I have to keep my ends in tip top shape.
4. What you have tried to improve your ends
Nothing specifically, but I always concentrate on the ends when I pre-poo/DC.
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends
*More attention to moisturizing and sealing ends daily with ceramide products
*Reduce rough handling, reduce friction against clothes and bed linens.
*Avoid behaviors that I know lead to little broken ends: 1. Getting lazy and waiting too long to wash my hair 2. too much wash-and-going when I get lazy and don't want to straighten (too many knots/tangles which leads to roughed up ends)...Basically just stop being lazy :lol:

I'm so disgusted! I just finished DCing and took a good hard look at my nape. Its so broken!! I've got a serious W going on where the two points touch my shoulders and the middle is only about an inch long. There is some scraggly fringe in the middle kinda camoflauging it, but that may break off soon too. I swear I almost took out my eyebrow scisscors and cut myself blunt right then and there! But it would be right back to top of neck length!! This is so depressing! I stay growing hair, but I can't retain it to save my life! Near as I can tell, the wig cap I've been wearing must be tearing up my nape. Or...I don't know what it is. I just want my hair back!! Arrrgh! I don't know what to do.
:nono:

faithVA and all, the weave is out. i guess my hair survived although when he was detangling I cringed when he raked through with his comb. I think my ends did look thinner after the tight braids :nono: but it was hard to get a good look before he took to styling. Anyway, never again, weaves arent for me, I think my hair just doesn't take to them and I think my current reggie allows me to monitor my protein balance/dryness/etc better. Pic taken Saturday nite after the removal. Today, TLC with shea butter.

Attachments

• Jan 22 3.JPG
    Jan 22 3.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 27
I'm so disgusted! I just finished DCing and took a good hard look at my nape. Its so broken!! I've got a serious W going on where the two points touch my shoulders and the middle is only about an inch long. There is some scraggly fringe in the middle kinda camoflauging it, but that may break off soon too. I swear I almost took out my eyebrow scisscors and cut myself blunt right then and there! But it would be right back to top of neck length!! This is so depressing! I stay growing hair, but I can't retain it to save my life! Near as I can tell, the wig cap I've been wearing must be tearing up my nape. Or...I don't know what it is. I just want my hair back!! Arrrgh! I don't know what to do.

LaidBak, that happened to me several years ago. I grew my middle nape back by massaging in a spritz of infusium 23+water and castor oil into the area every night. It came back and "caught up" with the rest of my hair, to a point where I could cut it even again...i.e., it grew back at a faster rate than the rest of my hair for some reason. I think this generally happens. It will come back faster than you think.

I used Chicoro's moisture-drenched prepoo today:lick::love:. I Clarifyed with Avalon Organics Rosemary, Mint and Tea Tree Shampoo, poured some black tea rinse over my wet hair then deep conditioned my hair today using Moroccanoil products. My hair feels awesome right now, and by awesome, I mean soft, silky and strong. You can't get any better than that.

Now back to my wigs:grin:.

[USER=325831 said:
Royalq[/USER];15105729]Im running into trouble with my ends. They are a field of ssk's everywhere. It makes my hair feel rough and dry. Im a length whore and dont want to cut off hair. I think i will but first i need to know how to prevent these ssk's. There would be no point in me cutting them off and not knowing how to prevent them, they'll come right back.

Im thinking about oil rinsing, and treating my ends with bentonite clay ( my ends usually feel better with this). I also read a thread about twirling my hair to moisturize.

Any tips?

I have had good results with oil rinsing and twirling my ends. I twirl my ends, actually my hair when I apply my DC and any leave-in. I definitely notice a difference.

I also use the LOC method (liquid, oil, cream/butter) and that has been a helped as well.

I'm sorry to hear about your issues LaidBak. Do you have another styling option besides the wig for a while to give your nape a break?

Maybe some of the ladies in HYH Challenge have some tips on protecting the nape better while wearing wigs.

Are you moisturizing your nape well before putting on your wig cap?

I'm sorry to hear about your issues @LaidBak. Do you have another styling option besides the wig for a while to give your nape a break?

Maybe some of the ladies in HYH Challenge have some tips on protecting the nape better while wearing wigs.

I am at my wit's end. I don't know what I'm gonna do.

faithVA i tried oil rinsing today and i liked it, my ends def felt better with the bentonite clay and oil rinse. But as i was moisturizing it and styling the ends got bushy again....

@faithVA i tried oil rinsing today and i liked it, my ends def felt better with the bentonite clay and oil rinse. But as i was moisturizing it and styling the ends got bushy again....

Are you using any type of protein conditioner in your regimen? You may need more protein. And also try the twirling of the conditioner through the hair. My hair didn't respond immediately but over a period of weeks it did get better.

Are you using any type of protein conditioner in your regimen? You may need more protein. And also try the twirling of the conditioner through the hair. My hair didn't respond immediately but over a period of weeks it did get better.

Well, is aussie moist a protein conditioner? I usually use aphogee 2 minute weekly.

Straightened and trimmed
1869d8a0-f321-209e.jpg

I am unofficially/officially in ... :) ...I would like to keep record of what I am doing ...

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc

Relaxed
2. Current Hair Length
A few inches from APL
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends
Just looking for alternatives...curious as to what others are doing -
4. What you have tried to improve your ends
I have been using Alterna Overnight and L'Oreal Overnight for over a year and they have worked great for me
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends
My goal is to maintain healthy ends...especially on days I don't feel like doing my hair -getting lazy...not a big fan of oil/sealing (great for my daughter's natural hair)

Well, is aussie moist a protein conditioner? I usually use aphogee 2 minute weekly.

I don't know if aussie moist is a protein conditioner. I don't use much protein. I've just started using AO GPB Balancing Conditioner. But if you ware using aphogee 2 minute then you should have enough protein. I am assuming you are then following that with a moisturing DC to balance it out.

Unfortunately there are a lot of theirs about puffy ends. You may have to try a few to see which is the cause of your issue. Previous suggestions I have seen

1. Modify your Moisture/Protein Balance
2. Do an ACV rinse
3. Twirl the conditioner through hair when apply (this deals with moisture)
4. Oil rinse
5. Use a heavier sealer.

I thinking twirling my hair when DCing has really helped my hair and my ends retain moisture. Also adding the AO GPB seems to help with the bushiness.

Last night after apply my leave-ins, I applied babyganics unpetroleum jelly to 1/4 length of my twists and then worked it end by twirling the ends. This morning as I bunned, I put some babyganics in my hands and added some water and sealed my ends. I felt comfortable tucking them under. So when I convert my bun to mini twists I think they will be in good shape.

I plan on dusting my ends, just a quarter inch, the first weekend of February. I wanted to go 3 months instead of 2 but I think for right now 2 months is the right amount of time. But I think over the year, I will be able to go a little longer without dusting my ends. Don't want to cut off my growth, but don't want scraggly ends to break off more hair.

I dropped out of your no heat challenge, but I would like to join this one because my ends are dying...

1. Are you relaxed, texlaxed, natural, transitioning, etc: I am 100% Natural
2. Current Hair Length: I am currently bra strap length or very close to it.
3. The issue(s) you are having with your ends: breakage and major splitting
4. What you have tried to improve your ends: I was sealing after every wash day, which wasn't as often as I needed based on the current health of my ends.
5. What you are going to try to get those healthy ends: trim regularly and whatever else I can do besides sealing them with oil.
6. Optional: share your current hair measurements either in inches or body lengths (SL, APL). You may want a record of where you started: As stated above, I am currently bra strap length but not all of my hair is, so I would like all of my hair, front and back, to be full bra strap lenghth.

1. natural
2. grasing apl
3. a few knots still and a tiny bit of dryness
4. more frequent sealing, and rosewater & evoo it worked I just have to get more
5. Get my rosewater, dust frequently keep ends away from my clothes
6. Dancing around 10 1/2 inches in most places I think
(APL). You may want a record of where you started.

I'm sorry to hear about your issues LaidBak. Do you have another styling option besides the wig for a while to give your nape a break?

I'm gonna just stop looking back there and obsessing on it. I'm going to wear my hair in a french twist every day and massage my nape with butter or oil twice a day. I'll use topical growth aids twice a week. *sigh*

ahhhh my twists love "the juice" used it twice yesterday, once today and i already feel a difference in my ends, so much softer and smoother, and its easy to apply on twists without fuzzing them up. I dont know why i slacked off on juicing.

You ladies make me want to start oil rinsing again. My love affair with butters has had me putting oils on the back burner but I think there is space in my heart for both of them.

My ends have come a long way from having what seemed like 1/2 a strand full of SSKs to just finding a few SSKs here and there. Last year, I trimmed and trimmed and trimmed. This year I just want to do light dustings every 8 to 12 weeks.

As I was twisting my hair this morning, I noticed about 1" of raggedy ends on each twist. They feel good but they look bad. I can be scissor happy and was so tempted to just grab some scissors and even everything out :lol: But I made it.

I will do a dusting of 1/4" the first week of February. I will resist the temptation to get rid of all my scraggly ends. The dusting will keep me happy for at least 3 weeks. I can't wait though :lol:

so i tried twirling my ends and they definitely felt better immediately after untwirling. So i decided since twirling seems to do me good im going to try moisturizing, sealing, and then tightly bantu knotting my hair in medium sized sections. ill to this for a while and see how my ends fair. last night i was doing this to the front section of my hair and decided to trim off a really small section of my ends to slowly get rid of the ssk's. And lo and behold there were barely any ssk's :perplexed. After i realized that its not really ssk's that were my problem i need to figure out a new plan of attack. I found a few ssks which idid cut off though.

Back