Low Manipulation Challenge/hangout 2018 (braidouts, Twistouts, Bantu Knot-outs, Rollersets, Etc.)

I put in a lot of low-manipulation work on my hair yesterday. Does that make sense? Lot of work, yet low manipulation? :spinning:

Anyway, I did Dubaidee4c's much shorter max hydration method. And I plopped (for the first time) overnight, using my microfiber towel following Mahogany Curl's method.

ALL OF THIS NEW STUFF WAS AWESOME! So many epiphanies. I can actually wash and go at night or in the evening now! That is life changing!!! :lachen:

I may indeed have solved the one problem I've had with my HG gel: Dry-feeling hair. I love DubaiDee4c's no-leave-in-high-moisture-anyway wash and go regimen. Leave in was interfering with my gel, but gel on naked hair was very drying for me. Using an AVJ spritz seems to be the solution! :eek: :toocool:

If I can repeat this 3 more times, I might become a believer!

The good thing: Dubaidee4c's method is TRULY low manipulation. :yep: :up:

I accidentally elongated just one curl when I plopped (see photo). :lol: :lachen: However, when I tension blow dry later to elongate my wng, it should be blend-in-able. Hopefully!

Attachments

• IMG_20180328_070032-1224x1632.jpg
    IMG_20180328_070032-1224x1632.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
For documentation:

Yesterday when I adapted Dubaidee4c's tweaked max hydration method, I did the steps below.
  1. Prepoo with a DC for hours in a puff.
  2. Chelate (shampooed twice to remove heat protectant, blow dry serum, heavy moisturizer, etc.)
  3. Wear the (full) Cherry Lola Carmel Treatment for between 4-5 hours under a plastic cap under a wig.
  4. Cleanse, DC, and do extremely extensive finger detangling (concentrating on my roots) with Naturalicious rhassoul clay wash
  5. Spritzed with CP ayurvedic hair tea containing AVG and aloe Vera powder and tea tree oil and my favorite-smelling JBCO.
  6. Shingled Bronner Brothers gel from root to tip, starting with sections at my nape and moving forward.
  7. Plopped overnight using my microfiber towel that has a fastener, using MahagonyCurl's method.
  8. Shook out (still damp) hair and then lightly shaped hair--lightly as to not create frizz.

I put in a lot of low-manipulation work on my hair yesterday. Does that make sense? Lot of work, yet low manipulation? :spinning:

Anyway, I did Dubaidee4c's much shorter max hydration method. And I plopped (for the first time) overnight, using my microfiber towel following Mahogany Curl's method.

ALL OF THIS NEW STUFF WAS AWESOME! So many epiphanies. I can actually wash and go at night or in the evening now! That is life changing!!! :lachen:

I may indeed have solved the one problem I've had with my HG gel: Dry-feeling hair. I love DubaiDee4c's no-leave-in-high-moisture-anyway wash and go regimen. Leave in was interfering with my gel, but gel on naked hair was very drying for me. Using an AVJ spritz seems to be the solution! :eek: :toocool:

I accidentally elongated just one curl when I plopped (see photo). :lol: :lachen: However, when I tension blow dry later to elongate my wing, it should be blend-in-able. Hopefully!
@YvetteWithJoy
Ladyyyy!!! you pulling me back in ha! :lachen:
I love y’all on LHCF
With my HITT style workouts I want to wash more! I’ve been wearing this bun for 2 weeks now with multiple workouts :( I make it slick and neat but I need to able to wash more and not have to wear a pony puff.:afro:
@YvetteWithJoy then you post pics of curls poppin’ Sis!!
You have to copy your results in the “type4 ignored” and “WnG thread”

Last edited:
thanks for sharing your recent finds, @YvetteWithJoy!!
how often will you tension blowdry using this method? I want to do it more often to stretch out my braidouts, but i'm nervous about doing it too often.

thanks for sharing your recent finds, @YvetteWithJoy!!
how often will you tension blowdry using this method? I want to do it more often to stretch out my braidouts, but i'm nervous about doing it too often.

Thanks!

You are reading my mind, sis! I don't know. The Dubaidee4c's MHM recommends wetting the hair daily. But I haven't been doing that with my wng's. I'd been tension stretching about twice a week.

I need to learn more about the effects of indirect heat. I definitely don't want to damage my strands!

I may try doing the water everyday thing Dubaiddee4c did/does. Maybe then I wouldn't tension stretch hardly ever??? I don't know. :smile:

@YvetteWithJoy
Ladyyyy!!! you pulling me back in ha! :lachen:
I love y’all on LHCF
With my HITT style workouts I want to wash more! I’ve been wearing this bun for 2 weeks now with multiple workouts :( I make it slick and neat but I need to able to wash more and not have to wear a pony puff.:afro:
@YvetteWithJoy then you post pics of curls poppin’ Sis!!
You have to copy your results in the “4c ignored” and “WnG thread”

Lol! Come on back! :lol: Welcome!

I will try to remember to post the results to those threads when I get the chance!

Products for my set that I used are:
Water bottle to keep my hair soaking wet
Design Essentials wrap foam
Herbal Essences Long Term relationship conditioner as a leave-in
smooth n shine polisher serum for shine

i went old school with products i used to love (Herbal Essences and smooth n shine) back before I could afford anything else as a broke college student and honestly....i prefer it to how my hair felt setting with the camille rose almond jai butter. it was very easy to detangle through my hair for the set.

so lesson learned-stop trying to abandon cones and cheap products entirely :lol: they are your friends.

I made it 7 days with my wash and go. Today I'm wearing it in a bun. I'll keep it this way for the next week until I can wash again.

I bought some new gels to try - Ampro curl activator, wet line (new formula), and Aunt Jackie's flax seed gel.

I don't have any issues with Eco styler but I'd like to try a gel that doesn't have protein.

@YvetteWithJoy - Where are you getting the Bronner Bros gel? I'd like to try that one.

I've also got some new moisturizers, and some clay and ayurvedic powders to try or so I'll let you guys know what I think of those too. I want to increase the amount of moisture in my hair, but I don't like long regimens and I am definitely not washing my hair every day. I'm thinking about doing the clay with every other wash and keeping my regular shampoo for when I don't have time for mixing. I'll be adding the powders to the clay and to my DC to save time on making teas and pastes and such.

I made it 7 days with my wash and go. Today I'm wearing it in a bun. I'll keep it this way for the next week until I can wash again.

I bought some new gels to try - Ampro curl activator, wet line (new formula), and Aunt Jackie's flax seed gel.

I don't have any issues with Eco styler but I'd like to try a gel that doesn't have protein.

@YvetteWithJoy - Where are you getting the Bronner Bros gel? I'd like to try that one.

I've also got some new moisturizers, and some clay and ayurvedic powders to try or so I'll let you guys know what I think of those too. I want to increase the amount of moisture in my hair, but I don't like long regimens and I am definitely not washing my hair every day. I'm thinking about doing the clay with every other wash and keeping my regular shampoo for when I don't have time for mixing. I'll be adding the powders to the clay and to my DC to save time on making teas and pastes and such.

Sadly, I don't see it at BOBS yet, just a huge Asian owned one (not even the smaller ones). It's also available at the Bronner Brothers site.

I love everything you posted. :yep:

That's why I'm so excited about Dubaidee4c's version: After the first longer wash day because of the clarifying and the treatment, going forward it's fast and easy: On wash day, use clay and a spritz and gel. Done. On refresher day, wet, add more gel if needed, shape, and be done.

Warning about the gel: It's super strong. It's crunchy, unless perhaps you use a leave in.

That's perfect for me because it freezes my fine hair so it can't tangle (even in a wng!!!), but you may hate the super duper hold.

Last edited:
Warning about the gel: It's super strong. It's crunchy, unless perhaps you use a leave in.

That's perfect for me because it freezes my fine hair so it can't tangle (even in a wing!!!), but you may hate the super duper hold.

No I want a strong hold. I'm also trying to keep my hair from tangling, plus I want my wash and go to last for a whole week. For my last one I used Eco styler Krystal, which I think is the strongest one they have.

For documentation:

Yesterday when I adapted Dubaidee4c's tweaked max hydration method, I did the steps below.
  1. Prepoo with a DC for hours in a puff.
  2. Chelate (shampooed twice to remove heat protectant, blow dry serum, heavy moisturizer, etc.)
  3. Wear the (full) Cherry Lola Carmel Treatment for between 4-5 hours under a plastic cap under a wig.
  4. Cleanse, DC, and do extremely extensive finger detangling (concentrating on my roots) with Naturalicious rhassoul clay wash
  5. Spritzed with CP ayurvedic hair tea containing AVG and aloe Vera powder and tea tree oil and my favorite-smelling JBCO.
  6. Shingled Bronner Brothers gel from root to tip, starting with sections at my nape and moving forward.
  7. Plopped overnight using my microfiber towel that has a fastener, using MahagonyCurl's method.
  8. Shook out (still damp) hair and then lightly shaped hair--lightly as to not create frizz.
It's always been a big thing to sleep in/on stain or silk and not cotton. Is that not applicable here? Or is that old logic?

I accidentally elongated just one curl when I plopped (see photo). :lol: :lachen: However, when I tension blow dry later to elongate my wng, it should be blend-in-able. Hopefully!
Looks really good. When are you letting it down?

It's always been a big thing to sleep in/on stain or silk and not cotton. Is that not applicable here? Or is that old logic?

Yes--cotton is not great to sleep on. I'm just going to do it anyway. Lol. For years I've slept on cotton with no problem. But that's just me. As long as my hair isn't moving and rubbing a lot against my overnight head covering, I have no problems.

I've been super lazy this week. I co-washed my hair twice. After each one, I just added leave-in, oil, gel and put my hair in a high puff. It looks cute, but the middle of my hair never fully dried and started to smell mildewy, so I'll probably wash n' go this week to let my crown air out.

Next time I style (probably in 2 days), I'm going to try this for less of a shirley temple curl and more of a bantu-knot-out esque wand curl.

anyone else have a styling goal they want to tackle next?

This is soooo cute. I hope it works.

I've had styling goals for years that I have yet to master. :oops: I STILL can't flat twist, STILL can't get a bantu knot-out to look right, STILL can't get my hair swingy straight like they do at the salon. My hair is easy to straighten/get to hold a style so I know it's me. For as girly as I am, I'm hella lazy trying to figure out how to do girly stuff. I only know how to do my makeup and nails because I legit love doing them. I've always hated doing hair and my styling skills show that :laugh:

If you'd like to join, reply with these responses:
Current Hair Status (natural? relaxed? length?): Natural WL
Styling Goals: Alternate between buns; twist-outs and in the summer add WnG's
Length Goals: Full HL
Current Routine: Cleanse bi-weekly till warmer weather and then return to weekly; currently following an ayurvedic regimen mostly leveraging cassia, clay washes, CP oil, massage and Queen Shea
Products: Varies but lots of DIY
Why does low manipulation work for you? My hair for the most thrives more when I do less
Pictures of your current styles (if you have them)

This cleanse cycle decided to stretch my hair following Maryam Hampton's method of a twist out. I purchased the Revlon paddle brush blow dryer and used it on cool to lightly stretch. I wanted more definition so I did a total of 8 twists, some flat and some two strand. I used the QP Elasta mango and olive oil moisturizer and the curly pudding. I also topped with EVOO and twisted. I will have my son take a picture when I get home but I got lovely defined and soft to the touch twist out. I will probably have to retwist every other night.

Now that I've mastered my wash and go, on to the twist out. :smile:

I'm doing the following today:
  • Detangling, conditioning cleanser: 22nd Century Natural Shampoo Bar; finger detangling and KareCo Tangle Buster Brush
  • Deep conditioner: repurposed Sheaterra mud poo . . . 2 TBS of it in coconut milk . . . 45 minutes under bonnet dryer
  • Ends care and sealant: Jakeala Shea Amla Hair Parfait (peach scent)
  • Strengthening hydrator: CurlyProverbz DIY Ayurvedic Hair Tea
  • Styler: The Mane Choice Tropical Moringa Pearly Braid Out Glaze
  • Style: 6 twists on each half (12 total) to a twist out (to preserve, will chunky retwist and band overnight as needed)

Back