Low Manipulation Challenge/hangout 2018 (braidouts, Twistouts, Bantu Knot-outs, Rollersets, Etc.)

If you'd like to join, reply with these responses:
Current Hair Status (natural? relaxed? length?): Natural WL
Styling Goals: Alternate between buns; twist-outs and in the summer add WnG's
Length Goals: Full HL
Current Routine: Cleanse bi-weekly till warmer weather and then return to weekly; currently following an ayurvedic regimen mostly leveraging cassia, clay washes, CP oil, massage and Queen Shea
Products: Varies but lots of DIY
Why does low manipulation work for you? My hair for the most thrives more when I do less
Pictures of your current styles (if you have them)

This cleanse cycle decided to stretch my hair following Maryam Hampton's method of a twist out. I purchased the Revlon paddle brush blow dryer and used it on cool to lightly stretch. I wanted more definition so I did a total of 8 twists, some flat and some two strand. I used the QP Elasta mango and olive oil moisturizer and the curly pudding. I also topped with EVOO and twisted. I will have my son take a picture when I get home but I got lovely defined and soft to the touch twist out. I will probably have to retwist every other night.
Thank you for joining @Daina !! I am looking forward to pictures of your hair!

Today's twist out using The Mane Choice Tropical Moringa Pearly Braid Out Glaze over CurlyProverbz DIY Hair Tea.

I installed 6 twists on EACH half of my head. To separate, I split each unravelled twist half in two, nothing more. I will blend a little better later.

(Photos enlarge upon click.)

View attachment 427801 View attachment 427807 View attachment 427805 View attachment 427803

That looks good! Did you like that style? Also did you do it on damp or dry hair? TIA!

That looks good! Did you like that style? Also did you do it on damp or dry hair? TIA!

Thanks! Yes, I love it. It is tangle-resistant, has length and movement, etc.

I started on damp hair. I sprayed and squeezed watery hair tea into each section just before applying the braid out glaze. I put a super tiny/skinny perm rod on the end of each twist.

Thanks! Yes, I love it. It is tangle-resistant, has length and movement, etc.

I started on damp hair. I sprayed and squeezed watery hair tea into each section just before applying the braid out glaze. I put a super tiny/skinny perm rod on the end of each twist.

How are you uploading pics? I have been trying for 2 days and can't get it to work. My pics have been resized to less than 1MB and they still won't post?

Thanks to @YvetteWithJoy coming through with the app recommendation to resize my pics! Thanks sis, that app worked like a charm! It rained today and this pic was after I got home. This is day 2 twist out hair that I didn't retwist last night. I will be retwisting in 6 sections tonight. I will use QP Elasta mango and olive oil moisturizer and the curly pudding. I will seal with EVOO. My hair was super soft and before the rain the definition was really nice.

Attachments

• Twistout_April2018-242x301.png
    Twistout_April2018-242x301.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Thanks to @YvetteWithJoy coming through with the app recommendation to resize my pics! Thanks sis, that app worked like a charm! It rained today and this pic was after I got home. This is day 2 twist out hair that I didn't retwist last night. I will be retwisting in 6 sections tonight. I will use QP Elasta mango and olive oil moisturizer and the curly pudding. I will deal with EVOO. My hair was super soft and before the rain the definition was really nice.

You're more than welcome. So much length! Nice! Pretty!

I've always been a little confused about my hair type. I think I was thrown off because I have mostly S shaped waves instead of spiral curls, but I'm pretty sure I'm still 4a.

Wash day is supposed to be on Thursday, but the clay and ayurvedic powders I ordered aren't coming until Friday. I really wanted to try them out this week, but I don't think I'll have time to do it this weekend. Guess just have to wait and try them next time. :cry3: At least I have a new moisturizer and gel.

Here is a fresh picture of today's twistout. I retwisted in 6 twists last night as mentioned above and this is just before leaving the house. I expect to have to retwist tonight because it is damp and foggy here today and I am sure my hair will swell and I will look like Mufasa by the end of the day! Lol...

Attachments

• 20180404_071907-1224x1632.jpg
    20180404_071907-1224x1632.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20180404_071903-1224x1632.jpg
    20180404_071903-1224x1632.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 50
Did a wash and go today with homemade leave in (water, AVJ, castor oil), Curls blueberry and coconut hair milk, As I Am twist defining cream, and Eco styler Krystal gel.

I loved the Curls hair milk. Now I want to try more from that line. I don't think the twist defining cream was necessary, but I'm trying to use it up.

I tried the Bronner Bros gel and Aunt Jackie's flax seed gel, but neither of them can hold a candle to my dear Eco styler. I did one section, then rinsed it out and did it over with the Eco styler. I'll have to use them for some other style.

I did an oil rinse with coconut oil before shampooing, but I really didn't have many tangles. A few small knots but that was it, so I think my two week regimen was a success.

Did a wash and go today with homemade leave in (water, AVJ, castor oil), Curls blueberry and coconut hair milk, As I Am twist defining cream, and Eco styler Krystal gel.

I loved the Curls hair milk. Now I want to try more from that line. I don't think the twist defining cream was necessary, but I'm trying to use it up.

I tried the Bronner Bros gel and Aunt Jackie's flax seed gel, but neither of them can hold a candle to my dear Eco styler. I did one section, then rinsed it out and did it over with the Eco styler. I'll have to use them for some other style.

I did an oil rinse with coconut oil before shampooing, but I really didn't have many tangles. A few small knots but that was it, so I think my two week regimen was a success.

Aw! Sorry about the Bronner Brothers gel. So you washed it out before it dried?

Yay for few knots!!!

Aw! Sorry about the Bronner Brothers gel. So you washed it out before it dried?

Yay for few knots!!!

I did. My hair is really frizzy, mostly kinky waves with curls at the ends. So it's easy for me to tell if a product is not working. The Eco styler immediately controls the frizz and causes my curls to clump, and it looks basically the same wet and dry. I didn't want to finish my hair and not be happy with it, so I just did it over.

My hair didn't look bad with the BB gel, but it looked like day 5 or 6 of my Eco styler wash and go. No way it would have lasted a whole week.

I am currently in the salon getting a sew-in for my trip to Miami :look: this is why when I started this challenge, I said the rules will be flexible. Cause I just never know what random hair decision I'll be making spur of the moment. I said I was over fake hair, but here I am lol. I will still make sure to check-in though.

I tried flat twisting wet curly hair with nothing but Bronner Brothers Firm Hold Curling Gel.

:nono: That's a NO NO. Tangles, breakage, etc. on the one section I started with. I abandoned the endeavor with a quickness and switched to simple two-strand twisting. :yep:

@Daina thank you for sharing those pictures! Your hair is beautiful and I like how you style it with the top half pulled back.

Thank you! I actually think I've got the hang of twisting both two strand and flat and I prefer that now to braidouts. That's also what they recommended in my Komaza hair analysis to twist versus braid. Next week it's back to a bun till wash day.

I am currently in the salon getting a sew-in for my trip to Miami :look: this is why when I started this challenge, I said the rules will be flexible. Cause I just never know what random hair decision I'll be making spur of the moment. I said I was over fake hair, but here I am lol. I will still make sure to check-in though.

Enjoy Miami, I'm sure it will be nice not to have to worry about your hair for a little bit!

I tried flat twisting wet curly hair with nothing but Bronner Brothers Firm Hold Curling Gel.

:nono: That's a NO NO. Tangles, breakage, etc. on the one section I started with. I abandoned the endeavor with a quickness and switched to simple two-strand twisting. :yep:

Yeah I would have a very hard time getting through my thick hair to flat twist unless I did it in the shower and it was soaking wet. I have 2 strand twisted on wet freshly washed hair with no issues.

I have a resizing app, but how do I upload the picture? Is there a way to do it without having a URL?
The easiest thing I have found so far is to add it your media album on here. Overall, the whole process is veryyyyyy annoying to me and discourages me from posting pictures.

Back