Looking for Cheating

golden1

I want to know if you all have ever been ok with being the woman in your man's life that he is going to settle down with but you suspected or knew that he had jumpoffs on the side? I had a spirited debate with someone about this, The person also said that many times a woman can focus on her man cheating instead of making him happy.

Also, do you think that if a woman goes checking up on her man that she is justified in what she finds or that it is best not to check?

Do you all check up on your man's phone bills, etc? How do you feel about the whole main chick/side piece thing, especially if the side piece is an ex?

If you have to do all or some of the above, then that is not a relationship if you have to jump through all those hoops. I would rather be alone.

If a woman is willing to accept the jump off before the marriage, she better get used to it because it's not going to stop after the wedding.

And if you're looking for signs of cheating, then you already know he's probably cheating.

Not okay with me. Like ThickHair and ambergirl said, if you have to do all of that then you probably are not the one he will settle down with. IMO, a woman usually knows when her man is cheating prior to finding concrete evidence.

Why put yourself through this mental abuse....

I want to know if you all have ever been ok with being the woman in your man's life that he is going to settle down with but you suspected or knew that he had jumpoffs on the side? I had a spirited debate with someone about this, The person also said that many times a woman can focus on her man cheating instead of making him happy.

Also, do you think that if a woman goes checking up on her man that she is justified in what she finds or that it is best not to check?

Do you all check up on your man's phone bills, etc? How do you feel about the whole main chick/side piece thing, especially if the side piece is an ex?

IMHO, it isn't a good idea to go searching for things. When you find something suspect what are you prepared to do with it/about it? (Many women find things and end up staying in the relationship :nono:) It is a fatal mistake to confront your man with your suspicions and/or evidence and not be prepared to walk. Once he sees that you will stay or that he can talk his way out of the situation he is bound to:
1 - take you for granted knowing he just has to put a few words in your ear.
2 - Get much better at hiding his dirt.
3 - Although it isn't right some men, when constantly accused, will actually go out and do what they are accused of doing.

Trust your instinct and don't be anyone's fool BUT DON'T GO LOOKING FOR THINGS AND ACCUSING without any grounds either. Take a look at yourself and figure out what baggage you are holding onto that is unhealthy for your esteem and your relationship. Pick the right person to begin with - if you have doubts GOING into a relationship/marriage then you are heading in the wrong direction.

I don't want a man that I have to be a Snoopologist for.

PS - the word YOU is used in general.

I think the woman was trying to tell OP that sometimes your thinking and worrying can almost create your space so be careful and mindful of where your focus is in the relationship.

I remember my friend's grandmom telling us "If you keep looking for something...eventually you will find it" and I believe her. I think a woman knows when her man is cheating and looking for evidence is putting the nail in the coffin. What she decides to do with that evidence is a whole other story though. Myself included :look:

Since you question your SO's "extra-curricular" activities, how do you know you are not the "Jump-off"?

Even if you did check on his phone bills, e-mails, etc., and you found out that he was seeing other women, whatever you decide to deal with is on you.

As the other women mentioned, anytime you have a brotha living rent free in your mind to the point where you are constantly questioning your status with him, then it's time to move on. Why would you want to put yourself through the mental torture?

Or, would you care to elaborate on your situation and tell us a little bit more.

*passes da mic to the OP*

If we are exclusive, and he is cheating, we aren't exclusive anymore. In fact, we aren't anything anymore. If I suspected, I would snoop for proof. Once proof is found, I'm out. Full stop. Husband, Fiance, Boyfriend - I'm out.

However, I've come to find out that a lot of folks don't actually establish their relationship status, and thus both 'main chick' and 'sidepiece' might not be in a relationship with him besides in their own minds. :look: If that's the case, well - I can't say that homeboy is in the wrong. :look:

HUh? Wife ok with sidepiece? #wheredeydodatat

As for snooping? I get answers fist ask questions later, that goes for everybody. I've come to find that people lie when their backs are up against the wall (big secret right LOL). So I find answers on my own then let the person hang themselves.

If I knew for a fact he had jumpoffs..I would not settle down with him. Period.

If my gut it telling me he is cheating (not my insecurities, my "friends" in my ear, etc.)..yeah I would look for some proof and then I'm done.

I read a book several years ago called Man Sharing: Dilemma of Choice, a Radical New Way of Relating to the Men in Your Life http://www.amazon.com/Man-Sharing-Dilemma-Radical-Relating/dp/0688044557

My best guy friend put me on to this book after making a snarky remark about women and relationships and sharing and marriage. I did infact read the book and even learned 1 or 2 things but still I say -

Three's a crowd, baby.

A very audible 'damn' came when reading this. This is like a tequila shot with tequila chaser.

But she brought up a very good point.

Recently I was out to dinner with a group of female friends. Demographically speaking, they were of diverse ethnicities (Black American, East Asian, Middle Eastern), but similar socio-eocnomic/educational profiles (grad degrees; urban professionals).

One had recently gotten out of a long term partnership--I believe they were together 9-10 years. Anyway, I knew they had been having problems for some time, but I didn't know the specifics, just that the man in question had a negative vibe about him whenever I would encounter him.

She revealed why they had broken up: she discovered that he had a wife in another state, with whom he had maintained good relations throughout the entire 9 year r'ship with my friend. My friend had lived with this man full-time, owned property with him, etc. etc. Their names were jointly listed on deeds, they owned a small business together, he had a full time job here in the city where my friend lives, etc. Apparently he had been telling her that his occasional (I think once a month) visits to that other state were due to his elderly grandparents living there (and they really did live there, because my friend had met them once in the past).

It was a shocking revelation.

But imagine my greater shock when--to a woman--each and every other woman at the table revealed that she, too, had been contacted by a woman informing them that their boyfriend was in fact that woman's husband.

I thought they were pulling my leg, because surely 95% of a table full of women could not have had the same outrageous experiences.

Sadly, it is not an outrageous experience. People have been double-timing each other since the beginning of recorded history. It COULD happen to any one of us here, if it already hasn't.

Now, if I feel secure and comfortable in my relationship (which I do), I'm not going to be looking around me to try to actively seek out hints of cheating or bigamy or what have you. But I will also not blind myself to signs; I will keep my usual alert senses about me and keep my antennae up so that if something seems awry, I don't sweep it under the rug.

I will also suggest that before living with or marrying someone, you should take my mommy' s advice and hire a private investigator/do a background search on this man you are about to link your life to. Only trouble is for those of us with SOs raised in other countries than our own, it might be more difficult/costly to do a proper investigation.

All the searches in the world cannot make up for a lack of trust and communication from the get-go, though. Neither will it stop him from doing wrong later on down the line. But, at least you are not going in completely blind. Especially with the frightening specters of AIDS, HPV, etc, we need to be our own best advocates.

I read a book several years ago called Man Sharing: Dilemma of Choice, a Radical New Way of Relating to the Men in Your Life http://www.amazon.com/Man-Sharing-Dilemma-Radical-Relating/dp/0688044557

My best guy friend put me on to this book after making a snarky remark about women and relationships and sharing and marriage. I did infact read the book and even learned 1 or 2 things but still I say -

Three's a crowd, baby.

I don't know about that book (haven't read it), but all of my advice about "cheating" is predicated on the assumption that seemed to underly the OP: that it was an agreed-upon monogomous relationship to start with.

Now, openly and mutually polyamorous couples have their own guidelines they work out with each other. They define between themselves what the boundaries are and what constitutes "unfaithfulness" (it's not always a free-for-all with whomever catches one's eye at any time).

All couples are individual and should play by the rules they agree upon. My advice is only for those who have agreed upon a monogomous relationship with each other.

Back