**Long Hair Secrets**

Staying away from the scissors when trimming or cutting isn't needed.

I'm learning to follow MariposaSexyGirl's tip to stay away from scissors. Overzealous chop-happy stylists have messed up my length.

Otherwise it grows very well with minimal heat (only hood dryers for roller sets), vitamins, regular shampooing and deep conditioning. Thats it.

My Secrets

Stumbling upon LHCF hair board(Best Hair Advice Ever)
Saying "No" finally to Scissor happy stylists
Prepooing(Any Oils or cheapie conditioners
Relaxing every 3 or 4 months
Keeping my hair moisturized twice daily(ORS jar & NTM
Co-washing
Weekly deep conditing(keracae Humecto,Kenra MC,Pantene Hair Mask,Apoghee)

A major key element to all that is mentioned above is patience. If you don't have any patience you are going to learn how to have some or your hair will suffer becaue you will do something to it just because you bored, frustrated or just don't want to continue to do what you are doing. This is not to say that is will be easy, but nothing ever worth having is easy to obtain. You are going for not only a goal but it is a lifestyle change which means not only your habits regarding your hair but also your mindset has to adjust.

Anytime you get anxious may I suggest you step away from anything that will be a drastic change. Determine if you really want to make the irreversable change or are you just bored or frustrated.

Don't let your emotions determine your hair practices or style. Women of color need to learn patience about their hair because we have always been sold quick fixes for our hair and our hair and we as women have suffered for generations.

There will always be something new, something quick, something to make dealing with your hair easier and even some new discoveries on this board, many of these may not be bad things. Learn now by noticing the ladies with length many of them don't seem interested they keep it simple and continue on with what they are doing.

Be patient and methodical with your hair and when you are in those as I call them valley times, then change your focus to something or someone else so that your hair does not suffer the consequences.

Find those things that will work for you now, continue with them and/or adjust when your hair tells you. You have to remember this is an adventure and a lifestyle now and it will have twists and turns, mountains and valleys.

Happy growing!

pretty much everything i do has been mentioned in this thread...

- d/cing weekly or 2x/week

- maintaining a protein/moisture balance (moisturizing daily, protein treatments as necessary)

- sealing with oil (this makes a BIG difference for me)

- staying consistent

-sticking to what works for your hair no matter what trends pass through the board. if you do want to try something new, do your research & wait a couple months til the hype dies down and the real results come out.

- paying close attention to your hair's needs. if you notice your hair is getting dry/weak/mushy etc, don't wait weeks or until there is breakage to remedy the problem

- don't be afraid to ask for help or constructive criticism about your methods/regimen. post a thread or pm one or more of your hair idols. most people are extremely helpful and open.

- read the boards!! there is a wealth of information here... take advantage of it. much can be learned by just doing a search or reading threads even if they don't apply to you. you never know when that knowledge will come in handy later. 99.9% of the problems you will encounter have a solution posted on the board somewhere.

-keeping it simple!

Last edited:
Definately protective styles, moisturizing with olive oil and deep conditioning weekly, mostly keeping the scissors out of my hair. I LOVE LAYERS I LOVE A FRESH CUT!! But if I want my hair long like how I had it I have to put the scissors down.

I get my ends trim/dusted every 12-16 weeks.
Getting my relaxers every 12-16 weeks.
Protective styling
Moisturizing daily
Baggying do not do as much as I use too.
Washing every Week and DC once a Week
Protien treatment every 18-24 weeks.
Vitamans
Exercise
Lots of Water
Prayer.

Gracias Ladies...
You tips are very helpful. So, it looks like its just Washing and DCing 1 or 2x/week. Moisture/Sealing ends, protective styling and K.I.S.S.

Thanks

Back