African Beauty Secrets???

Is there a video or demonstration on utube showing
the kind of thread,
hair being braided with this thread
and how to take out this thread?
Also is there a salon in the US that does this and what is it called
.....bantu knots, braids extensions?
Thanks

NO there's nothing I've found on threading. Read upthread, there are soem good suggestion on how to do it and what thread types to use.

Does anyone here know more about what it is that the Himba women use on their hair? Is it red clay or something? TIA.

Does anyone here know more about what it is that the Himba women use on their hair? Is it red clay or something? TIA.

It's a red stone ground into powder (ochre) mixed with milk fat. They apply this to both hair and skin.

LE_namibia_20080528_0460.jpg

namibia146.jpg

Threading has to be the best secrets for me. My 2 transitions from relaxer in my early teens were done with threading, I am usually back to APL in a year from very low cut. Then once I am APL I go back to relaxer, very strange.

I use the black thread, not the shinny rubber type (hated this). My grandma use to do pineapple style for me back then, loved this.

Coconut oil - this was all that was used on my hair before i started relaxing

I wish I have a daughter, I would have loved to put video on you tube for everyone.

I am west african by the way

I got my hair "threaded" the other day. The lady actually uses yarn but heyo it all worked out.

neccxj.png

Oooh...how long do you plan to keep them in? Have you ever had this done this time? I'm so excited for you. Please take a photo of your hair the day you take them out.

Are they stiff? When I'd get my hair threaded back in the day using black crochet cotton thread, the "rods" would be stiff and would then be folded into some design. It's interesting to see yours hanging loose. I wish I could see them in person. :(

What's heyo? Forgive the ignorance.

Oooh...how long do you plan to keep them in? Have you ever had this done this time? I'm so excited for you. Please take a photo of your hair the day you take them out.

Are they stiff? When I'd get my hair threaded back in the day using black crochet cotton thread, the "rods" would be stiff and would then be folded into some design. It's interesting to see yours hanging loose. I wish I could see them in person. :(

What's heyo? Forgive the ignorance.

First time I've ever had them done. The lady said I could leave them in for three months, but we'll see. It's probably going to be more like 1.5-2 months. She said I can wash and condition like normal. I'm going to do a few test strands in a week or so to make sure no unravelling happens. I'll try to remember to take a pic...with a better camera.

They were stiff when she first put them in but she told me they were going to soften up in a couple of days...and they have. I think it might be the yarn and the fact that there are quite a few sections that is making them fall down. The very ends are a bit hard because she burned them.

Heyo is hey-o. I just threw that in randomly. Like, "The lady actually uses yarn but, you know (heyo), it all worked out. "

I know that the coconut has been an african beauty secret for quite some time. Protective styles have also been something they've utilized for centuries, and they have come up with colorful accessories to adorn these various styles. Some other wonderful things that various Africans utilize is honey, shea butter, lavender, and even olive oil. I learned that from this website, lol. They also have Rooibos (red tea), which contains a wealth of antioxidants. Also, didn't hair claying originate in Africa? I'm not sure in what way they utilized it, but I know that using bentonite and Rhassoul clay is becoming popular nowadays.

Last edited:
BUMP! This thread is awesome; I've been on this site since Dec 2006; how did I miss this one? :drunk: Oh, I'm not African, but I think any info from the Motherland will be highly useful! :yep:

Where are we with the red sticks for childbirth?

Sorry ladies got a summons to this thread forgot about this, apparently the sticks are a combination of different tree barks/stems generally bought in the North of Nigeria called "icen wanka".

I still don't know what the generic/ English names are for them. I asked for them to buy me some and I'll try and post pics when I get them.

My one month anniversary of threading. I'm taking these out next weekend. I have too much growth. And I'm ready to start playing with my hair again. This definitely has increased my growth and was super low maintenace. Usually I would get half of that in the same time.

e7cl05.jpg

Wow, I used to have my hair like this when I was younger, the teasing I would get from my fellow black friends as well!!Lol!! It was an odd thing if you were not used to it I guess.

Anyway, my hair was in great shape and in tip top condition using that method. I might think about the yarn for a more softer and still protective use. This thread brings back great memorys for me.

For sure, I need to get some shea butter!

My one month anniversary of threading. I'm taking these out next weekend. I have too much growth. And I'm ready to start playing with my hair again. This definitely has increased my growth and was super low maintenace. Usually I would get half of that in the same time.

Oh yay, I forgot you did this, Riverrock! Can you please take pics during the take down. I'm so excited for you. Do you have pics of how you wore your hair? Has it only been one month? I thought you'd had them longer. Nice growth. :up:

Yes it's been one month. I really wanted to leave them in longer but they're starting to look...questionable. Some lady did ask me if that was my real hair todya though, she couldn't see the top (obviously) so maybe they don't look that bad. I really only wore them down or pulled back because I couldn't fit all the hair into a ponytail. I'll try to see if I have pics.

I did take out one. This is what it looks like. It kind of looks like really small finger coils.

k2mrrc.jpg

Back