African Beauty Secrets???

Yes, I've read that you should alternative the threading w/ the conrows if you plan to keep threading as a normal part of your routine.

Ok, so you're supposed alternate w/cornrows? Why's that?

One thng yu should ask is how do you keep them on at the bottom (they tie them someway) and what to do if they start to unravel. How long will you keep them in?

(You NYCers are so lucky to have all these cool hairdressers. Even threading you can get. I.AM.Jealous! :grin:)

That's what great about living in such a diverse area. Thanks for the info about unraveling, I hadn't even thought of this.

LOL..I'm glad I could take you back. I have a book* w/ these styles, their names, and basic instructions, but I want more info.
*"African Hairstyles: Styles of Yesterday and Today" by Esi Sagay

Checking Amazon now. You're always a wealth of info Jamaraa.

Do you know if shea butter would be ok as a leave-in, or does oil have to be used?

@Ceecy29 - are you washing/dcing as usual? If not, are you rinsing with just water? Would love to see pics if you have any.

Last edited:
Oh those are nice. Do you plan leaving it mostly in updos or will you put it down from time to time?

Also you real hair looks well moisturized, in your siggy too, do you usually use the CD black vanilla leave in or do you have other moisturizers?

Thanks. I plan on leaving it mostly in updos. I usually use the CD black vanilla leave-in yes, I mix it with mineral water and aloe vera gel.

That's what great about living in such a diverse area. Thanks for the info about unraveling, I hadn't even thought of this.

@Ceecy29 - are you washing/dcing as usual? If not, are you rinsing with just water? Would love to see pics if you have any.

Hey Sohoapt! I'm just recounting my experiences from when I was younger, so I don't have any pics and as you would imagine I hadn't found LHCF then, and washing in plaits/thread wasn't part of my routine. I have no experience with washing in thread and I don't think anyone would, I think we'd just have to experiment and see the outcome. There are two types of thread that can be used, one is the cotton one that's used for sewing. I think conditioners and water will be able to penetrate that one and reach the hair. The other one is made from a PVC-like material, it has sheen to it and is waterproof, so I'm not sure products will be able to penetrate that one. But like I said, we'd have to find out for ourselves, because frequent washing wasn't the norm back in the day.

As regards alternating, it was mostly for variety, but the Yorubas believe that cornrows grow the hair (Sonce mentioned this in her fotki), but that's probably as a result of it falling into the category of protective styling with the end protected, thus enhancing retention. I'd wear a cornrow style for 2 weeks, take it down and wash and then have thread done. That was my typical routine.

Usually the ladies who thread do it so well (and might I add, TIGHT...picture little girls crying LOL!) that it doesn't unravel, but if it does, you'd have to go back to have it re-done.

Checking Amazon now. You're always a wealth of info Jamaraa.

Do you know if shea butter would be ok as a leave-in, or does oil have to be used?

In the book she says to alternate to change up the tension. IOW, so you keep your edges! :grin:

While you're on Amazon, look for "Hair wraps by Anne Akers Johnson it's an inexpensive (last I looked) book for young girls who do those cute little wraps of different colors. The ideas in the book are very revelent to the traditional African one. You want it for the illustrations. If you're lucky, the book will come w/ all it's little colored threads and thinkies in tact! Mine did.

As for oil, Sagay says any kind is fine. Shea and palm oil are traiditonal, but you can use good old grease. LOL...there's actually a style called "Sulphur 8", literally the threaded hair twisted in little 8s all over the head. :lachen:

Hey Sohoapt! I'm just recounting my experiences from when I was younger, so I don't have any pics and as you would imagine I hadn't found LHCF then, and washing in plaits/thread wasn't part of my routine. I have no experience with washing in thread and I don't think anyone would, I think we'd just have to experiment and see the outcome. There are two types of thread that can be used, one is the cotton one that's used for sewing. I think conditioners and water will be able to penetrate that one and reach the hair. The other one is made from a PVC-like material, it has sheen to it and is waterproof, so I'm not sure products will be able to penetrate that one. But like I said, we'd have to find out for ourselves, because frequent washing wasn't the norm back in the day.

As regards alternating, it was mostly for variety, but the Yorubas believe that cornrows grow the hair (Sonce mentioned this in her fotki), but that's probably as a result of it falling into the category of protective styling with the end protected, thus enhancing retention. I'd wear a cornrow style for 2 weeks, take it down and wash and then have thread done. That was my typical routine.

Usually the ladies who thread do it so well (and might I add, TIGHT...picture little girls crying LOL!) that it doesn't unravel, but if it does, you'd have to go back to have it re-done.

Thanks for the detailed response, ceecy! I think I would prefer the PVC-like thread b/c I will be doing just my nape, so I guess it would be better if my DC/shampoo didn't touch the hair and get caught in it.

I didn't realize it hurt to get the thread put in. Let's just say, I am pain averse:grin::grin:. I will have to let them know not to do it too tight. My family's Jamaican, so I know all too well about tight cornrows. I will update with pics when I get it done.

If alternating w/cornrows isn't a requirement, I think I will get the nape threaded every month until it reaches BSL. Do I need to let the hair/scalp "breathe" or anything in between?

Thanks. I plan on leaving it mostly in updos. I usually use the CD black vanilla leave-in yes, I mix it with mineral water and aloe vera gel.

From what I've seen, the threaded hair can be somewhat stiff and able to hold various shapes. You can curl them around a pencil, for instance, and they hold shape. Try it! :grin:

ceecy I don't know how I overlooked it, but the plaiting/threading combo you talked about is in Sagay's book. The style is called Dada. I'm excited to try it.

In the little girls' book I name above, the threads are done around fully plaited hair.

I don't think you're supposed to wash the threaded hair while in threads. Sagay says they should stay in abut 1 wk, be taken down and washed. If you want to do re-thread it, that's cool, but be mindful of your edges!

I can't wait to see how the experiment of threading the nape works out.

Thanks for the detailed response, ceecy! I think I would prefer the PVC-like thread b/c I will be doing just my nape, so I guess it would be better if my DC/shampoo didn't touch the hair and get caught in it.

I didn't realize it hurt to get the thread put in. Let's just say, I am pain averse:grin::grin:. I will have to let them know not to do it too tight. My family's Jamaican, so I know all too well about tight cornrows. I will update with pics when I get it done.

If alternating w/cornrows isn't a requirement, I think I will get the nape threaded every month until it reaches BSL. Do I need to let the hair/scalp "breathe" or anything in between?

I've heard about this PVC thread. It's stretchy apparently and sold specifically for threading hair in Ghana and Nigeria. I thought about using silk thread when I do mine. Silk, tho somewhat expensive, has that nice sheen and is a natural fiber which will allow some air circulation. I think PVC thread can end up being too tight near the scalp, if you're not careful.

I don't think the threading itself hurts IF done not too tight. I worry that a heavy hand and stretchy thread can be OUCH.

I might give it a rest for a few weeks...lets say 2 on 2 off until your nape hair grows to the desired length.

Last edited:
In the book she says to alternate to change up the tension. IOW, so you keep your edges! :grin:

While you're on Amazon, look for "Hair wraps by Anne Akers Johnson it's an inexpensive (last I looked) book for young girls who do those cute little wraps of different colors. The ideas in the book are very revelent to the traditional African one. You want it for the illustrations. If you're lucky, the book will come w/ all it's little colored threads and thinkies in tact! Mine did.

As for oil, Sagay says any kind is fine. Shea and palm oil are traiditonal, but you can use good old grease. LOL...there's actually a style called "Sulphur 8", literally the threaded hair twisted in little 8s all over the head. :lachen:

We were posting at the same time.

Ok, I understand about the alternating, I will ask the braider more. Last thing I need is more breakage in my nape. You know I was just hoping to keep the nape threaded up until it reached BSL:grin:, but isn't it always more complicated? I guess I can cornrow it in between threadings.

Of course I ran to Amazon and already ordered the book you recommended, but I will look into this one too.

I'll stick with my trusty shea butter, maybe heat it a bit to turn it into oil.

Thanks for all the info.

I've heard about this PVC thread. It's stretchy apparently and sold specifically for threading hair in Ghana and Nigeria. I thought about using silk thread when I do mine. Silk, tho somewhat expensive, has that nice sheen and is a natural fiber which will allow some air circulation. I think PVC thread can end up being too tight near the scalp, if you're not careful.

I don't think the threading itself hurts IF done not too tight. I worry that a heavy hand and stretchy thread can be OUCH.

Yes, silk is what I initially thought might be best. I don't want to wash just once a month, though, just for the sake of my nape. I wonder if I watch the braider do it, I could do my nape myself, and redo every week or so. Where are you planning on getting the silk thread - a fabric store?

sohoapt Whatever you do...threads or cornrows, watch the tension. Don't be afraid to ask them to cool it if they're going too tight. You might do well by buying your own thread for them to use. Cotton is nice and inexpensive.

I hope you got the Sagay book at a good price. It's a real keeper. LOL...never loan it cuz you'll never see it again!

Yes, silk is what I initially thought might be best. I don't want to wash just once a month, though, just for the sake of my nape. I wonder if I watch the braider do it, I could do my nape myself, and redo every week or so. Where are you planning on getting the silk thread - a fabric store?

I thought about getting some of the "cheap" (silk thread is never fully cheap :grin:) from where I buy my silk sewing thread, Utica thread http://www.uticathread.com/Product.asp?intProdID=109 it's surger thread, but it'll do the trick I think. You can buy spools w/ smaller yardage if your hair isn't super long yet, but that's a GREAT price for 900+ yds.

Well I recommended the kiddie book because it'll show YOU how to do it in detail that the Sagay book lacks. LOL...the back of your head is tricky, but maybe a friend or your SO/parent can help. If the braider will do it for cheap (esp. bringing your own thread) you can let her do it. (LOL...I'm sure it's a "her" for some reason)

^^I'll keep that in mind (about the tightness). I got the book for less than $7, including shipping.

ETA: Yes, I'll probably bring my own. When I spoke to the braid shop owner on the phone, she was iffy about what the thread was made out of (not a good sign, lol).

The back is tricky, but it's not my whole nape that has problems just the very, very bottom. I do three little twists there right now, so I *think* I could master threading just for that area. I will look up the other book.

Last edited:
Great price! I think I spent a few $$$ more. LOL, but it was def worth it. You'll love this book and it's beautiful braiding and threading styles. Some are really masterpieces. The women are so beautiful. This book will make you really appreciate the natural beauty of Black women! Very few are wearing any makeup and their skin is WOW!

Last edited:
BTW Esi Sagay did ALL the styles you see in the style section of the book herself. It took her 7 years to do this book.

Last edited:
I'm jumping in here to say that when I used to get my hair threaded, they never used sewing thread. I think that's too thin and could cut through your hair. It was black crotcheting thread or "raf(f?)ia" thread which I'm guessing is what you are all calling PVC thread. Also, there's no need to make it tight at the base. You should use the same tension you would use to make a pony tail. Keep in mind that if you will bend the "tubes" to form some hairstyle that is flat and easier to sleep on, you will need to have the base more relaxed so you can lay the "tubes" down without pulling painfully at the base, if that makes sense.

In this style, for example,
24sections-threaded-in-twist-design.jpg

...to make the front lie down flat as show, the base would have to be loose so it's easy to lay the area flat.

That style is so cool. From what I gather about sewing thread, they take maybe 3 3 ft long pieces and tie it together to make a thicker ply wrap. That's what I would do...cut off say three pieces of about 6ft (I have long hair) and tie them together and proceed to wrap from there.
My kiddie book recommends 48 in of thread to so a section of hair. This style of threading uses cotton embroidery thread (aka DMC). That's also another option.

I would avoid nylon or mixed poly/cotton threads tho. Only cotton or silk.

I'm jumping in here to say that when I used to get my hair threaded, they never used sewing thread. I think that's too thin and could cut through your hair. It was black crotcheting thread or "raf(f?)ia" thread which I'm guessing is what you are all calling PVC thread. Also, there's no need to make it tight at the base. You should use the same tension you would use to make a pony tail. Keep in mind that if you will bend the "tubes" to form some hairstyle that is flat and easier to sleep on, you will need to have the base more relaxed so you can lay the "tubes" down without pulling painfully at the base, if that makes sense.

...to make the front lie down flat as show, the base would have to be loose so it's easy to lay the area flat.

Last edited:

Thanks, Nonie. That makes sense. i hope tightness isn't an issue for me. Did you wash at all when you got your hair threaded? Do you think PVC is the best? How long did you keep it in?

@jamaraa - found the other book at abebooks.com (with pics!) for less than $10.

That style is so cool. From what I gather about sewing thread, they take maybe 3 3 ft long pieces and tie it together to make a thicker ply wrap. That's what I would do...cut off say three pieces of about 6ft (I have long hair) and tie them together and proceed to wrap from there.

I would avoid nylon or mixed poly/cotton threads tho. Only cotton or silk.

They would use the 100% cotton crotchet thread and still double up. There was no need to tie them together. You'd just double up, and hold a small section of it against the hair then you'd start wrapping the base as if making the pony tail and include the section you folded against the hair within the wrapping so that there's no chance of unraveling. If you have short hair, they'd have several parallel strands of thread held against your hair so they'd wrap your hair and those and continue wrapping the "thread hairs" beyond your own to provide tubes long enough to fold into cute styles.

I think the crotchet thread would work better than sewing thread. It's also less likely to tangle or knot up when you're working with long sections.

Are you saying wrap the thread ends inside of the wrap? How do they finish them off at the bottom?

The thread I'm talkong about is a bit thinner than crochet thread, I think. The way it is when you use it to embroider is that you pull a tiny strand out...it's a little bundle. Here w/ threading we'd use the whole bundle. Are we speaking of the same thing?

Are you saying wrap the thread ends inside of the wrap? How do they finish them off at the bottom?

The thread I'm talkong about is a bit thinner than crochet thread, I think. The way it is when you use it to embroider is that you pull a tiny strand out...it's a little bundle. Here w/ threading we'd use the whole bundle. Are we speaking of the same thing?

I'm not sure I follow the bold. This is what the thread we use look like (bottom left):
420_Opera_Crochet_Thread_crop.JPG

Before you start doing hair, you prepare about about 2 foot length sections you're not stopping in mid-action to cut the lengths you need. You do so by wrapping it over the web of you thumb and elbow so you have layers of a loop all wound around. You then cut one end of that loop so you have parallel lengths of thread. Sometimes the stylist would have you hold your hands up and wrap the thread around them to form layers of loops and cut one end to form equal-length strings.

For the sections that will be wrapped inside the thread to provide length if your hair isn't long, they'd do the same but on a shorter distance so they'd have maybe less than a foot sections. Depending on how thick they want they wrapped sections to be, they'd grab enough of these to give the illusion of hair being inside the thread once they'd covered all your hair.

To tie the ends, they'd just form a loop and pull the end through. Since when I got my hair done, all the tubes would be joined together in a herringbone pattern, the joining thread would cover any ends of my hair that were sticking out. If you did the "threads inside wrap" way, then your hair was well covered already so there was no concern about your ends sticking out.

Does that make sense?

Ok so I happen to have the exact thread we use to do this style (not the PVC one), the one I was referring to as sewing thread. Some people use it to sew as well.

ceecy I don't know how I overlooked it, but the plaiting/threading combo you talked about is in Sagay's book. The style is called Dada. I'm excited to try it.

In the little girls' book I name above, the threads are done around fully plaited hair.

Oh where I'm from Dada is what we call dreads/locs.

OK, your pic didn't originally come thru. What I'm talking about is the 1st one you see on this page (link below)...look thru and tell me what crochet threads you're referring to. BTW, this is so helpful...thanks. I can see your pic now and it's further down in my link.

http://www.dmc-usa.com/majic/pageServer/1v010000jw/en_US/Embroidery-Threads.html

I'm sorry my pic didn't show initially for you, but yes, in your link, it's the thread referred to as "Pearl Cotton Balls". I think 2-3 such balls were enough to do a complete head.

I'm sorry my pic didn't show initially for you, but yes, in your link, it's the thread referred to as "Pearl Cotton Balls". I think 2-3 such balls were enough to do a complete head.

Ok thanks Nonie...that's a great alternative thread to use. I like the idea of the balls of yarn/thread cuz you can cut off what you need. I think you have have given us the hook up. ;)

Tell me a bit about removing the threads. Did you do it or did your threader? How and where did you start cutting them? The removal seems to be the most perilous part cuz of the risk of accidentaly cutting your hair.

Last edited:
Is this the stretchy stuff? If you went to an African store here in the US, what would you ask for? If you call locs "dada" where you come from, what do you call the braid/thread combo?

Ok so I happen to have the exact thread we use to do this style (not the PVC one), the one I was referring to as sewing thread. Some people use it to sew as well.

Last edited:
Ok thanks Nonie...that's a great alternative thread to use. I like the idea of the balls of yarn/thread cuz you can cut off what you need. I think you have have given us the hook up. ;)

Tell me a bit about removing the threads. Did you do it or did your threader? How and where did you start cutting them? The removal seems to be the most perilous part cuz of the risk of accidentaly cutting your hair.

Removal was uber easy. You could use a blade and cut through the last loop, or hook that last loop it with pointed pair of scissors and cut it and then just pull. The hair would unravel with ease creating a propeller effect. The undo was child's play!

Back