Liquid Fabric Softener....

Caramela

I did a search and couldn't find anything, but has anyone ever heard of using liquid fabric softener on your hair? Could this be damaging in anyway?

I've heard of using the fabric softener sheets to get rid of staticy hair, but nothing w/ a liquid softener. What is it supposed to do?

was the 1 star necessary:ohwell:

anyway i dont think i would use it. ive heard that the sheets reduce frizzyness of something

No, but I've heard of people washing their hair ( and brushing their teeth) with Tide. I wouldn't do any of it though, too many chems.

No, but I've heard of people washing their hair ( and brushing their teeth) with Tide. I wouldn't do any of it though, too many chems.

TIDE?! Really? I know oh so many people that are allergic to that product in general. They can't wear a shirt that was washed with it, but to brush your teeth? Oh lordy...

There was a thread on this a while back.

I would not do it. There are enough conditioners that give me what I need.

The idea of it just does not sit well with me.

I read about this before too but have never tried. It isnt all that far fetched to me considering some other things people are putting on their hair...and dont mind the one star...I think it is running rampid again..must be a newbie(s) that don't know they can tell who rates threads...hahaha

I wonder how it feels. I have an all natural laundry detergent. :ohwell:

I am tempted to try it. I'm trying to figure out the ingredients first and then determine if any of them would be damaging to human hair.

I have never heard of this...

I don't think it's a good idea to try this.

I'd say quality hair conditioners(even some cheapie conditioners) are great for softening the hair.

possibly if you used a 100% natural fabric softener. but i wouldn't use it to "Soften" hair, because of the ingredients.

i found this recipe for an all natural fabric softener:

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water

that sounds more like a clarifying rinse!

but brand name fabric softeners contain sulfates and other detergents. i wouldn't trust them.

not even the delicious smelling downy simple pleasures fabric softeners... mmm, lavender and vanilla...:lick:

Im interested in know what even prompted the thought of puttign fabric softener in one's hair.... things like ACV & bakign soda seem like hints from Heloise...

possibly if you used a 100% natural fabric softener. but i wouldn't use it to "Soften" hair, because of the ingredients.

i found this recipe for an all natural fabric softener:

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water

that sounds more like a clarifying rinse!

but brand name fabric softeners contain sulfates and other detergents. i wouldn't trust them.

not even the delicious smelling downy simple pleasures fabric softeners... mmm, lavender and vanilla...:lick:

This is good info... and the natural recipe does sound like a clarifying rinse! Ironic. Well, I didn't know that fabric softeners contained sulfates! That's interesting. Does anyone have a bottle handy that could post the contents of fabric softener? I know our board chemists could tell us what is harmful and what is not.

Here is some ingredient info:

Raw Materials

Conditioning agents

Early fabric softener formulas were relatively simple dispersions of fatty materials
that would deposit on the fabric fibers after washing. One of the most common
ingredients used was dihydrogenated tallow dimethyl ammonium chloride (DHTDMAC),
which belongs to a class of materials known as quaternary ammonium compounds,
or quats. This kind of ingredient is useful because part of the molecule has a positive
charge that attracts and binds it to negatively charged fabric fibers. This charge
interaction also helps disperse the electrical forces that are responsible for static cling.
The other part of the molecule is fatty in nature and it provides the slip and lubricity that
makes the fabric feel soft.
While these quats do soften fabrics very effectively, they also can make them less absorbent.
This is a problem for certain laundry items such as towels and diapers.
To overcome this problem, modern formulations use quats in combination
with other more effective ingredients. These newer compounds have somewhat
lower substantivity to fabric which makes them less likely to interfere with water absorption.
One of the new classes of materials employed in fabric softener formulations
today is polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS). Siloxane is a silicone based fluid that has
the ability to lubricate fibers to give improved softening and ease of ironing.
Other silicones used in softeners include amine-functional silicones,
amide-functional silicones and silicone gums. These silicone derivatives
are modified to be more substantive to fabric and can dramatically improve its feel.
Emulsifiers

The conditioning ingredients used in fabric softeners are not typically
soluble in water because of their oily nature. Therefore, another type of
chemical, known as an emulsifier, must be added to the formula to form
a stable mixture. Without emulsifiers the softener liquid would separate
into two phases, much like an oil and vinegar salad dressing does.
There are three types of emulsifiers used in fabric softener formulations:
micro-emulsions, macro-emulsions, and emulsion polymers.
Macro-emulsions are creamy dispersions of oil and water similar to
hand lotions or hair conditioners. The emulsifier molecules surround
the hydrophobic oil or silicone droplets and allow them to be dispersed in water.
A micro-emulsion is chemically similar, but it creates oil particles that are so
small that light will pass around them. Therefore, a micro-emulsion is characterized
by its clarity and transparency as opposed to being milky white. Furthermore,
one of the advantages of micro-emulsion is that the silicone particles are so tiny
that they will actually penetrate into the fibers, while macro-emulsions only deposit
on the fiber's surface. The third type, emulsion polymers, create dispersions that
look similar to a macro-emulsion. This system does not use true emulsifiers to
suspend and dissolve the oil phase. Instead, emulsion polymers create a stabilized
web of molecules that suspend the tiny silicone droplets like fish caught in a net.
The emulsifying system used in softeners must be chosen carefully to ensure the
appropriate level of deposition on the fabric. A blend of non-ionic
emulsifiers (those that have no charge) and cationic emulsifiers
(those that have a positive charge) are typically used. Anionic surfactants
(which have a negative charge) are rarely used because the fabric conditioning
agents have a positive charge which would tend to destabilize an anionic emulsion.
Other ingredients

In addition to conditioning agents and emulsifiers, fabric softeners contain
other ingredients to improve their aesthetic appeal and to ensure the product
will be shelf stable. For example, fragrance and color are added to make the
product more pleasing to consumers. In addition, emulsion stabilizers and
preservatives are used to ensure the product quality.

The rest of the article has more info on how it's manufactured.
http://www.enotes.com/how-products-encyclopedia/fabric-softener

Last edited:
You know, now that I've read about the ingredients. It doesn't seem all that bad. I mean most DC contain some type of Quaternium (quats), and my hair isn't bothered by silicones. Of course I would have to look up the other ingredients in Skin-deeep (I love that site). The only other thing that would keep me from trying it is the mysterious "preservatives".

So it has a boat load of cones, and some emulsifiers.... it might not be half bad from time to time... :scratchch

Head hung low, tail between my legs... a 1 star :yawn: Well, there's a first for everything. :grin:

OT, but who rates threads and why would someone even bother rating it if they were gonna give it one star?

Are the amount of stars based on someone's opinion of the thread you started?

Don't tell me... the one star bandit is at it again.:perplexed Honestly, I don't think I would want to try this. More power to those who do...

OT, but who rates threads and why would someone even bother rating it if they were gonna give it one star?

Are the amount of stars based on someone's opinion of the thread you started?

I think the star thing is based on how many respond. That's just my observation. As for using the fabric softener, if it's loaded with cones then I KNOW I'd be bald in a matter of weeks. I wish my hair liked cones like most heads! Why does my hair have to be so finicky?????:perplexed It loves the sweet stuff though!:lick:

Anything is worth a try for me---easier detangled hair and softer, thats what im all about.....what brand are we looking at?

Back