liquid keratin and perms

bellezanegra826

I just ordered some liquid keratin to straighten my 4a hair. The directions say that it can be used on hair that has been permed. Do you think that I can straighten my hair with JFM texture softener then use the liquid keratin? I probably wouldn't do them both on the same day.

I just ordered some liquid keratin to straighten my 4a hair. The directions say that it can be used on hair that has been permed. Do you think that I can straighten my hair with JFM texture softener then use the liquid keratin? I probably wouldn't do them both on the same day.

JFM is basically a "perm" so you shouldn't have a problem. BTW: You use JFM to straighten your hair? How is that working for you?

I would not use both. I think the liquid keratin would be great on natural hair, I don't understand why you would use a relaxer and the keratin, unless you were just planning on using it on your newgrowth to help you stretch.

Yes, you can do the JFM softener and then put the liquid keratin on top. I'm sure you can do it the same day if you wanted.

Hopeful, the Liquid Keratin wil not straighten the hair. It doesn't even come close to straightening the hair. At the very best, it will loosen curls a little, not enough to give the same results as a relaxer. People do both for wash and go straight hair. This may be what OP is hoping to achieve.

I use the JFM b/c my scalp has a reaction to stronger perms. The JFM seems to be gentler on my scalp. I do want my hair to be straight, which is why I want to use both. The length of my hair that has already been permed is under processed and is wavy when wet. My hairdresser wants to do a corrective and apply perm to the length of my hair. I haven't been back to her since she made that suggestion, and I am not sure if I will be back anytime soon. I figured if the Liquid keratin will relax a curl pattern without making it straight, then it should be able to relax hair that has already been relaxed with JFM texture softener. I just want to make sure my hair won't melt and/or fall out if I use both. I'll probably call the makers of both companies before I do anything to see if they foresee any problems, but I wanted the expert opinions of ladies here as well.

I use the JFM b/c my scalp has a reaction to stronger perms. The JFM seems to be gentler on my scalp. I do want my hair to be straight, which is why I want to use both. The length of my hair that has already been permed is under processed and is wavy when wet. My hairdresser wants to do a corrective and apply perm to the length of my hair. I haven't been back to her since she made that suggestion, and I am not sure if I will be back anytime soon. I figured if the Liquid keratin will relax a curl pattern without making it straight, then it should be able to relax hair that has already been relaxed with JFM texture softener. I just want to make sure my hair won't melt and/or fall out if I use both. I'll probably call the makers of both companies before I do anything to see if they foresee any problems, but I wanted the expert opinions of ladies here as well.

Yeah, I wouldn't get a corrective relaxer. I would just do the Liquid Keratin. It is the mildest BKT on the market. It will definitely give you the results you are looking for.

I guess you could do both, Liquid Keratin is like a protein treatment, but since its supposed to help straighten your hair, I would probably try this first and you may find you can actually stretch your relaxer. I doubt it will give any relaxer like qualities, but it will probably make getting straight smooth styles easier to accomplish. I'm natural and ive tried it, and it definately made blowdrying and flatironing easier to do. Im pretty sure you can do it on the same day although they warn against doing it on color treated hair without doing a strand test,and I would relax first then do the treatment because that way its like restoring some of the bonds lost from relaxing giving you stronger hair.

Liquid protein, never heard of it.

Is it a chemical?

will it damage your hair?

I've been loooking for somewhat chemical free ways to tame my 4b/z curls. I'm also looking into the "coconut relaxer"...I dont want straight hair, just to help detangle for a few hours

Liquid protein, never heard of it.

Is it a chemical?

will it damage your hair?

I've been loooking for somewhat chemical free ways to tame my 4b/z curls. I'm also looking into the "coconut relaxer"...I dont want straight hair, just to help detangle for a few hours

this is what we are talking about: http://www.liquidkeratin.com/

eta: i tried the coconut relaxer and all it did was make my hair messy. there was absolutely no straightening

So liquid keratin is not a relaxer? You can still be natural with it?

Its not the protein that straightens the hair. Liquid Keratin contains Formaldehyde, which straightens the hair. According to the Live Curly, Live Free blog "... the ingredients on their product label, you will see one near the top called "Biformyl." And another name for biformyl is oxalaldehyde, which happens to belong to the group of organic compounds called aldehydes...a group to which formaldehyde also belongs."

I'd love to see the results of this product. Not for myself, but for someone else with 4b hair that is interested in trying this.

Back