Liquid Fabric Softener....

NO WAY would I use this on my head. For what?? I use oil on my hair, and have never in my life had static in my hair for long. NO WAY!

Good luck to all that do.

I did a search and couldn't find anything, but has anyone ever heard of using liquid fabric softener on your hair? Could this be damaging in anyway?

I'd be more concerned with fumes and side effects than what it can do for my hair. IMO, it can't be any better than all the hair products out now.

i knew a girl who would use it in her hair and it turned her neck black!!!!

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Ole dumbass.. I bet she was praying for SL just to hide it!

I think its sad we're even entertaining it... What next?
OxyClean cleaner as a clarifier?
Jiffy Lube as a moisturizer?
Pam spray as a sealant?
Draino as a relaxer alternative?
Straight up Ammonia as a dye?

I don't get it... seriously I want to know what is next... tell me people aren't gonna start using creamy Peanut Butter as a DC just cause it says its creamy and has oils in it:rolleyes:

Pam spray as a sealant?

I don't get it... seriously I want to know what is next... tell me people aren't gonna start using creamy Peanut Butter as a DC just cause it says its creamy and has oils in it:rolleyes:

Alright now, you're gonna give some of these PJ's some ideas.:lachen:You'll be reading a couple of threads about this tomorrow.:spinning: But seriously, the homemade relaxers were originally made with "Red Devil Lye, potatoes, and an egg" back in the 40's and early 50's. My Grandma told us about this. I would be too scared to try it.

Well I did try it last night after I washed and conditioned. It was a very good detangler. Not something I'd use on the regular, but if I were ever in a pinch where my hair was seriously tangled, it does work. And my neck is just as caramel as ever, not black. :grin:

Pam spray as a sealant?

hmmmmmm.......

:lachen:

I love this site, you find the most weirdest and wonderful things on here.

oookaay....fabric softener on hair!....to give slip?!:perplexed. I normally don't post my honest opinion in threads like these, but that is a lil extreme. If it was proven that fabric softener was to give me about 3inches overnight...then I'll be pre-pooing with it til no end. But if all its giving are the same things a number of conditioners can do for u....then no thanks... i'll stick to my conditioners.

I'm sure this has been stated by the previous posters, but I don't think I would use liquid fabric softner for my hair when there are so many other things in the marketplace to use that is actually designed for hair.

:scratchch... interesting I think I'll give this a miss for now:look:

About the 1 star I guess its just someone's opinion:drunk:

What I DO know is that Fabric softener is GREAT for washing wigs with.
It made my wig so soft and fluffy when I used it last week.
I got that tip from the Wig Challenge Thread, in the hair care section...

Pam spray as a sealant?

that just made me hungry:lick:...**mmmmm crisp cold apple slices dipped in peanut butter!

Well I did try it last night after I washed and conditioned. It was a very good detangler. Not something I'd use on the regular, but if I were ever in a pinch where my hair was seriously tangled, it does work. And my neck is just as caramel as ever, not black. :grin:

I'm glad it worked for you. I'll be honest I wasn't going to post the google link because some of the sites DID seem a little fanatical. But mostly because I wanted someone to try it and give a review (bad girl!) I was just so curious. Ima still leave it alone thoough.

What I DO know is that Fabric softener is GREAT for washing wigs with.
It made my wig so soft and fluffy when I used it last week.
I got that tip from the Wig Challenge Thread, in the hair care section...

Well - A wig is something totally different............. Ya know????

Well i've never used fabric softner before.....

Dont understand why people are automatically against it/think its not a good idea unless all fabric softners have about the same ingredients which are filled with chemicals, their are no natural ones, or they are expensive.....

Because ....i've seen way worse :ohwell:. Its not a crazy idea of what softens/hardends clothes does the same for hair. People use to straighten their hair with ironing boards, they always use the analogy of airdrying clothes with hair *shrug*

Pam spray as a sealant?

Well let's see, back in '85 - '87 we broke college students used kool aid and peroxide (straight up) to color/lighten our hair.

And I do believe that some people use real mayo and cream cheese because of the creamy oily factor.

So maybe other household items are not so far off the mark.

I would not use some of the questionable things that we mention on this site. But that is just me.

Last edited:
I know it might sound crazy, but this is the site that uses yeast infection cream on our scalps... fabric softener seems mild in comparision! :grin:[/quote]
I give this post 5:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:!

lol you sounding like my country grandma @ white people publications

lol you know i was trying to think of the right sentence, but my brain froze it was either that or white people magazines. lol. Here's a quote from one such book
Diane Irons- The worlds best-kept beauty secrets

"The best leave in conditioner is nothing other than laundry room fabric softener. Its very strong, so be sure to dilute it
Suggestion:1 cup water, 1/2 cup fabric softener.

Experiment with different softener scents for your own personal hair " signature". Save $$$$ over expensive hair products!"

I personally wouldn't do it, their hair is tougher than ours anyway.The other hair tips in the book are on point though

Last edited:
Well let's see, back in '85 - '87 we broke college students used kool aid and peroxide (straight up) to color/lighten our hair.

And I do believe that some people use real mayo and cream cheese because of the creamy oily factor.

So maybe other household items are not so far off the mark.

I would not use some of the questionable things that we mention on this site. But that is just me.

wow I didnt realize Kooliad was on the same level as fabric softener.:perplexed:rolleyes::lachen:

You can put Koolaid and peroxide and mayo and cream cheese in your mouth (you can gargle with peroxide)...

And just because it is in your house doesn't make it safe. Electrical outlets, Bleach, dish detergent and oven cleaner are in our homes but that doesn't mean they can be incorporated into our daily hair regimens:perplexed

I need to state first that I LUV, LUV, LUV this forum and all of you...Y'all are crazzy...!
Now for my $.02.......I want to thank the OP (Carmela) for posting this. LHCF would not be such a wonderful place if we didn't have peeps willing to try new things, take one for the team and report back. I have discovered the broader benefits of coochie creams,horsey products and mayo/eggs/vinegar/evoo/honey, etc. from this board. Most of my good cons contain some of the same ingredients as the fabric softeners so I say heyy let's give it a whirl...I just don't like to hear some of the OMG YOU'RE CRAZZY TO TRY THIS or I WOULD NEVA! :nono: statements posted here because I thought that we were willing to be adventurous in the pursuit of beautiful hair...not stoopid...adventurous and trust me, there is a difference, but I think most of us here know it!

Poster A: Today I DCd with Clorox Bleach... I know its a no no and some of you will not agree with it but I think its working! My hair has a lot of slip and I know it was working because my scalp got tender and is red now.
Poster B: Ooh girl Ima have to sit this one out.
Poster A: Your loss! I think I'm on to something:drunk:
Poster C: Well... you know you aren't supposed to put bleach on your head. And I think that is some crazy mess and there is no justification that would make me think otherwise.
Poster A: Just because bleach is a harsh chemical doesn't mean we can't use it. There are plenty of harsh chemicals in the conditioners we use already! So what if bleach is corrosive and can cause chemical burns? Its no different from mayonnaise or Hydra TLC.:yep:
Poster D: Isn't LHCF a place where people can get together and share any ideas without anyone being negative about it? Aren't all ideas good ideas??
Poster C: Well suit yourselves, just don't get on here posting some thread talking about how you lost all your progress due to a stylist. We all know your crazy bleach DCing behind lost your progress cause you thought you were "on to something":rolleyes:
Allandra: Closing this thread.

i tried it as a rinse-out, after washing, and it was... okay. detangled very nicely, but it didn't do anything spectacular for my hair. i'd rather use v05.

now my hair smells GREAT, though! like vanilla and raspberries (that's the fabric softener i use) :lick:

and this is a full day afterwards!

Poster A: Today I DCd with Clorox Bleach... I know its a no no and some of you will not agree with it but I think its working! My hair has a lot of slip and I know it was working because my scalp got tender and is red now.
Poster B: Ooh girl Ima have to sit this one out.
Poster A: Your loss! I think I'm on to something:drunk:
Poster C: Well... you know you aren't supposed to put bleach on your head. And I think that is some crazy mess and there is no justification that would make me think otherwise.
Poster A: Just because bleach is a harsh chemical doesn't mean we can't use it. There are plenty of harsh chemicals in the conditioners we use already! So what if bleach is corrosive and can cause chemical burns? Its no different from mayonnaise or Hydra TLC.:yep:
Poster D: Isn't LHCF a place where people can get together and share any ideas without anyone being negative about it? Aren't all ideas good ideas??
Poster C: Well suit yourselves, just don't get on here posting some thread talking about how you lost all your progress due to a stylist. We all know your crazy bleach DCing behind lost your progress cause you thought you were "on to something":rolleyes:
Allandra: Closing this thread.

:funny: :lachen: :lachen:

I don't even use fabric softener on my clothes, so yeaaahhh - definitely gonna have to pass on this one.....

i think it's a bit funny that the people here who have no problem using essence of worm poop extract (silk amino acids), vagina cream (monistat/mn), bacon flavored sulfur juice (MTG), caustic chemicals (relaxers), and butter (ghee) on their hair think fabric softener, of all things, is a BIG no-no.

:grin:

just my observation.

Last edited:
Back