Liquid Fabric Softener....

OT, but who rates threads and why would someone even bother rating it if they were gonna give it one star?

Are the amount of stars based on someone's opinion of the thread you started?

a terrible thread gets one star, bad gets 2, avg gets 3, good gets 4 and excellent gets 5.

I know it might sound crazy, but this is the site that uses yeast infection cream on our scalps... fabric softener seems mild in comparision! :grin:

a terrible thread gets one star, bad gets 2, avg gets 3, good gets 4 and excellent gets 5.

I know it might sound crazy, but this is the site that uses yeast infection cream on our scalps... fabric softener seems mild in comparision! :grin:

Spitting a mouthful of green tea on my screen!:lachen:

Okay, I might try adding a teaspoon to my shampoo on wed. Because I really am curious now. I probably will only try it once, on my ends only. I'm just not sure about what kinds of aesthetic ingredients there may be in it. :ohwell:

And I'm going to try this evening in the shower after a c/o wash or I may add some to my cheapie conditioner. I'll report back later.

Okay, you got me.:grin:

so... um... i'm trying this tonight.
should have never cracked open my bottle of downy simple pleasures.
heck, if it has sulfates, maybe it'll help to strip off this awful clairol jazzing color a bit faster.

so... um... i'm trying this tonight.

should have never cracked open my bottle of downy simple pleasures.

heck, if it has sulfates, maybe it'll help to strip off this awful clairol jazzing color a bit faster.

You ain't slick. LOL:giggle:

Last edited:
I've never tried it before, but I'm just going to try the off brand one that I have.
Pookie, please post your results. I think this would be wonderful for slip... have you ever gotten some on your hand when you were washing clothes and when you rinse, how slick your hands feel? That's why I think it would be great for detangling. :yep:

I've never had any side effects from the fabric softeners I use in my clothes. But I will not knock this until I try it... after all, and again, we use MTG and MN, Vinegar and other things with great results. I will give it a try. I'm sure it will not kill me. And if it does, someone please contact my family and tell them it was all in the name of HAIR!

OK................. I tried to igore the post - but I won't.......

Now for the Comment..... Over time the main ingredient in fabric softener ( and many hair conditioners ) DRY your Hair out....... At first there is softening - however - prolonged use will have the opposite effect on the hair.

I am not focusing on the other effects, but - here is the article......

“Beware of natural products that are cutting corners by using toxic, synthetic chemicals,” says Dr. Loretta Lanphier author of Balancing Your Hormones Without Drugs…You Can Feel Good Again.
According to www.projectcensored.org, in 1997 the #2 censored story was cancer caused by cosmetics and personal care products.

According to Dr. Loretta Lanphier, ND, CN, HHP, “More than 38,000 cosmetic injuries requiring medical attention are reported annually in the US. Ingredients in shampoos, toothpastes, skin creams, and other personal care products, fabric softeners, make-up, hair care products, colognes, perfumes and other scented products can be dangerous to your health.”

Dr. Lanphier explains that a toxic chemical, stearalkonium chloride, is now being added to some natural progesterone creams. Stearalkonium chloride is a cheap emulsifier. Note that most manufacturers print “stearal konium chloride” on the label which makes it almost impossible to find research information as the correct spelling is steralkonium—all one word. According to the AFH Library stearalkonium chloride is a chemical used in hair conditioners and creams. It causes allergic reactions. Stearalkonium chloride was developed by the fabric industry as a fabric softener, and is a lot cheaper and easier to use in hair conditioning formulas than proteins or herbals, which do help hair health. As a cationic surfactant this means these chemicals have a positive electrical charge. They contain a quaternary ammonium group and are often called "quats". They are used in hair conditioners, but originated from the paper and fabric industries as softeners and anti-static agents. In the long run they cause the hair to become dry and brittle. They are synthetic, irritating, allergenic and toxic, and oral intake of them can be lethal. Examples are Stearalkonium chloride · Benzalkonium chloride · Cetrimonium chloride · Cetalkonium chloride · Lauryl dimonium hydrolysed collagen.

I would not use Fabric softener on any hair,extension or otherwise.

Just my opinion.

OK................. I tried to igore the post - but I won't.......

Now for the Comment..... Over time the main ingredient in fabric softener ( and many hair conditioners ) DRY your Hair out....... At first there is softening - however - prolonged use will have the opposite effect on the hair.

I am not focusing on the other effects, but - here is the article......

“Beware of natural products that are cutting corners by using toxic, synthetic chemicals,” says Dr. Loretta Lanphier author of Balancing Your Hormones Without Drugs…You Can Feel Good Again.
According to www.projectcensored.org, in 1997 the #2 censored story was cancer caused by cosmetics and personal care products.

According to Dr. Loretta Lanphier, ND, CN, HHP, “More than 38,000 cosmetic injuries requiring medical attention are reported annually in the US. Ingredients in shampoos, toothpastes, skin creams, and other personal care products, fabric softeners, make-up, hair care products, colognes, perfumes and other scented products can be dangerous to your health.”

Dr. Lanphier explains that a toxic chemical, stearalkonium chloride, is now being added to some natural progesterone creams. Stearalkonium chloride is a cheap emulsifier. Note that most manufacturers print “stearal konium chloride” on the label which makes it almost impossible to find research information as the correct spelling is steralkonium—all one word. According to the AFH Library stearalkonium chloride is a chemical used in hair conditioners and creams. It causes allergic reactions. Stearalkonium chloride was developed by the fabric industry as a fabric softener, and is a lot cheaper and easier to use in hair conditioning formulas than proteins or herbals, which do help hair health. As a cationic surfactant this means these chemicals have a positive electrical charge. They contain a quaternary ammonium group and are often called "quats". They are used in hair conditioners, but originated from the paper and fabric industries as softeners and anti-static agents. In the long run they cause the hair to become dry and brittle. They are synthetic, irritating, allergenic and toxic, and oral intake of them can be lethal. Examples are Stearalkonium chloride · Benzalkonium chloride · Cetrimonium chloride · Cetalkonium chloride · Lauryl dimonium hydrolysed collagen.

I would not use Fabric softener on any hair,extension or otherwise.

Just my opinion.

good point - thanks for bringing that up. however... i definitely own conditioners that contain the ingredients highlighted in red.

quats - arent they chemicals that allow for penetration of the hair shaft, and make the difference between a regular ol' rinse out conditioner and a deep conditioner?

so... does this mean that using conditioners with quats aka deep conditioners, will make my hair dry and brittle over time?

oh my...

and miss fadu, you are 100% right. don't nobody try this. except for me.

i volunteer myself as the guinea pig for this experiment... i mean, i've put bath and body works lotion on my hair before to straighten it, so i figure my hair will be alright :grin:

i'll wash tomorrow, and post results using a bit of the downy simple pleasures on a small sectino of hair i don't care about.

maybe try it on just a piece of hair first? just in case the outcome isn't so good.

Last edited:
I'm still going to try it...
The sites that claim fabric softener are toxic are trying to sell their own version, so their claims may be biased.
Furthermore, I know for a fact that fabric softner has to be more gentle and less toxic than say... relaxers and we use those :ohwell:
Again, nothing sounds outrageous to me after using Monistat on our scalps and we all know what good results that got.
I think if someone has reservations about it then you should not try it! But I think that I'm going to give it a go. It might work. It might not. But I just want to see...

good point - thanks for bringing that up. however... i definitely own conditioners that contain the ingredients highlighted in red.

quats - arent they chemicals that allow for penetration of the hair shaft, and make the difference between a regular ol' rinse out conditioner and a deep conditioner?

so... does this mean that using conditioners with quats aka deep conditioners, will make my hair dry and brittle over time?
oh my...

i volunteer myself as the guinea pig for this experiment... i mean, i've put bath and body works lotion on my hair before to straighten it, so i figure my hair will be alright :grin:

i'll wash tomorrow, and post results using a bit of the downy simple pleasures on a small sectino of hair i don't care about.

Well.... It COULD.... That is the thing. I have been researching thes ideas for about 2 years. And not everything is conclusive... But I do believe that many of the issues that some ladies have could be due to these types of products.... You know how some people say - "well theis product X worked and then - it did not, etc.........".

Quats, most are Wetting Agents... helping the hair be "wet" and also work for absorption.

It also may be quite dependant on how each person weras their hair ( Relaxed, natural, hair type, etc. )

For me - I have RUN very far from these commercial products......and for me, my hair has thrived without them.

I also do not use commercial soaps and 'regular' drug store lotions due to this same issue.....SLS to wash and dry out skin, then Pertoleum to "soften" skin, and it sits on top - Never penetraing or helping.... it is a viscious cycle. It Could be that way on our hair too.......

Anyways - it is Just my educated opinion. So - I come from a more organic and less harmful perspective. I would much rather have honey or EVOO on my hair....

Again - not a blast for anyone.... just my observations.

Last edited:
I've never had any side effects from the fabric softeners I use in my clothes. But I will not knock this until I try it... after all, and again, we use MTG and MN, Vinegar and other things with great results. I will give it a try. I'm sure it will not kill me. And if it does, someone please contact my family and tell them it was all in the name of HAIR!

I don't use those either...but if that's all your hair in your siggy....er maybe I should start!

UR hair is :drool: :infatuated:

Lawd, Lawd ,girl - don't do it.

I would not use MTG or MN, but that is just me and that is another post.

oh my...

You better come back with some reviews too Missy!! :lachen:

I remember in the past when I used the pantene line I thought that my hair kind of smelled like fabric softner.

I just googled it. It looks like it probably does work IMO. This would be great for me since I need a new detangler. I need smthg reliable too. I still havent found anything to replace my beloved Aussie knot forgotten. How am I supposed to reach midback (like 3 more inches!) w/o a decent detangler. Tear. :cry:

Never tried it, but I had a terrible matting mishap last year and went to my hairdresser (that does my presses) for help. After we talked and used loads of conditioners to free my hair, she told me that I could use Fabric Softner as a rinse our conditioner.

Back