LADIES LET's Talk...

picture.php

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/year-shopping-only-black-businesses

I'm piggybacking form your post cocomama, Here's a list of resources and business that grew from her experiment... http://eefortomorrow.com/How_to_EE.html

Here is one in ATLANTA!!!!!

ATLANTA BEAUTY DEPOT
2388 Cobb Parkway, Smyrna, GA.
1 (770) 916-1990

I may get a list from BOBSA today so stay Tune!!!

derbygurl said:
I live in Louisville, Ky and we have 2 small scale bss. I actually work in one and have visited the other on a regular basis. The one I work in is very small scale, we mainly sale to license stylist but will sale sizes 16oz or below to the general public, we also only have access to certain product lines. We sale the whole Keracare/Affirm/Syntonics line, Mizani and some Nairobi products, because of this we have a customer base but not as large as the asian bss due to limited products. The other black owned bss specializes in products that you would normally purchase on line. What makes them unique though is that they have sample bars where you can acutually wet a piece of your hair and try a product before buying, they even return gently used product that didn't work for you.

I have switched most of my hair products over to the Keracare Natural Texture line simply because I am tired of giving the Asian bss my money and them treating the community that keeps them in business like crap. So since I have access to KC in a store owned by a black woman that's what I'm using. When I took on this job and saw our prices compared to theirs I was blown away. For example we sale an 8oz of KC Leave In for 5.99, their price 14.99. We sale a box of 9 pack relaxer application for 33.95, they take the same box of 9, make them individuals and sale the individuals for almost 20.00 a piece. Just robbery. I hope all of this makes a huge shift one day so that we can make money off the industry we put so much of our dollars into.

I don't know any black owned bss in my area that has access to the weaves and wigs.

Guuurl, where you at! I also live in the ville and I would definitely shop there if I had a clue where it was. I just found the store off of Westport road for natural hair care. Please, hook a Sista up.

derbygurl said:
I sure do, the first one is the one I work at:

Genesis Beauty Supply
1615 Maple Street
Louisville, KY

Go Natural Hair and Body Boutique
813 Lyndon Lane Ste B
Louisville, KY
www.shopgonatural.com

Thanks, Derbygurl! I just saw this post after I posted my question about the businesses. Oddly enough, this forum lead me to the Go Natural shop a few weeks ago in a round about way. Somebody recommended the Qhemet line of products and the Qhemet site listed Go Natural as a retailer. I've already been to the store and made several purchases. I'm texlaxed so I'm glad to hear that there is a BOB where I can purchase my CC locally. Thanks for the info.

All the product I use and I can either get at Sally's or Target. The BSS in Tampa don't seem to have much variety. But, the few times that I have gone I've gotten good service.

My parents always want to buy black owned. But, I'm more along the line of, I spend my money where I get good service and I'm respected.

1ST CHOICE HAIR & BEAUTY SUPPLY STORE
312 AZALEA RD. MOBILE ,AL 36609
251 345-0550

Ok ladies, I'm actually conversing with some black own beauty supply store owners. And I should have a nice size list by next week. In the mean time keep listing...

Thanks!

nerdography said:
All the product I use and I can either get at Sally's or Target. The BSS in Tampa don't seem to have much variety. But, the few times that I have gone I've gotten good service.

My parents always want to buy black owned. But, I'm more along the line of, I spend my money where I get good service and I'm respected.

Thank you!!! Peace!!!

I live in Spain, and there are no BSS here period. I am so excited to move back to the states next year and hope that wherever we move has at least one store like Sage or Oyin.

I live in Cadiz (Andalucia) and it's a beautiful place. I have really enjoyed my time here, and have met some really nice people, but I don't see myself settling for the long term. While I haven't experienced any blatant racism (especially in this area) I have been very uncomfortable on more that one occasion. Honestly If I could I would probably live in Portugal.

Ok Ladies,

I have been real busy lately, but I will compile a list real soon:grin:

in the mean time here is another BOBSS:

701 OLD SPANISH TRAIL
SLIDELL,LA. 70458

985-228-6941

Please keep posting others that you know of...THANKS!

Actually, Houston has another black owned BSS but it is not black American and it doesn't carry very many products. I just went to Tendrils and Curls the other day and its fab. I will be back to support.

I live in Queens, NY and I can't think of a single black wend BSS. on Jamaica Av, there must be at least a good 15 and none are black wend. My gf told me that even compete w/ each other and one store had a 50% off everything sale. And all of these stores are always crowded.

There is one small bobss on merrick blvd in queens. Its small and if you blink you will miss it...right across the street from poor freddies.

For every one bobss there are 20 others.

I haven't seen a black owned BSS here in Boston. Not saying they don't exist, I personally have not seen one. I do love the fact that I can run to Target and buy Kinky Kurly products, Shea Moisture, Karen's Body Beautiful, Carol's Daughter, Miss Jessie's, etc.. The products are more expensive, but at least I'm supporting a minority owned business.

Back