Kinky-Curly vs Beauty by Donna Marie with Pics

Your hair looks great with both, but I like it best when you use Curls. :lachen: Geez, I know that's not a lot of help. I think in addition to having more volume with KC, you have a little better curl definiton.

Last edited:
Your hair looks great with both, but I like it best when you use Curls. :lachen: Geez, I know that's not a lot of help. I think in addition to having more volume with KC, you have a little better curl definiton.

LOL! Really....why do you like the Curls better? I like it too. I normally use it in the colder months because it is thicker and creamier. I don't have pics of me using it with my hair at this length though for a comparison of all three. My hair is about 4 - 5 inches shorter in those pics and my curls are looser now. I actually like those curls better now that I think about it for a minute. Hmmmm..

LOL! Really....why do you like the Curls better? I like it too. I normally use it in the colder months because it is thicker and creamier. I don't have pics of me using it with my hair at this length though for a comparison of all three. My hair is about 4 - 5 inches shorter in those pics and my curls are looser now. I actually like those curls better now that I think about it for a minute. Hmmmm..

Curls seems to give your hair not just more curl definition, but a livelier, more bouncy distinct curl. If that makes sence. I think you'll see it even at your current length if you take some pics when you use that product. I do understand the need to find a more economical alternative, because I'm trying to do that as well. Let's face it, Curls is NOT that alternative. I do think you get very nice results with both the KC and the DM, so they are great alternatives for you.

ETA: I recently tried to switch back to shampoo from cleansing conditioners (due to cost of course), and my hair acted a complete fool.

Last edited:
Curls, seems to give your hair not just more curl definition, but a livelier, more bouncy distinct curl. If that makes sence. I think you'll see it even at you current length if you take some pics when you use that product. I do understand the need to find a more economical alternative, because I'm trying to do that as well. Let's face it, Curls is NOT that alternative. I do think you get very nice results with both the KC and the DM, so they are great alternatives for you.

I think you are right! I still have tons of Curls stuff (from that 55% off sale) and I will always buy from that line because my son uses it and that's the ONLY brand of shampoo I will allow in my hair (oops forgot about Neutrogena Triple Moisture for when I straighten). Curls and DM are about the same price. Curls may be a couple dollars more. KCCC is just freakin' expensive period! I recently got a brand new one for $8 on the swapboard that had never been opened. :grin:

I like the second set better. Can you tell us how it feels or how well it lasted? Smell?

DM product was nicer to apply. It is not sticky at all like KCCC. Which is a big plus! Today is day 3 (added pics to fotki this a.m.) and it's not bad.

I can't go another day with wearing it down. I would normally put it in a bun for the rest of the week starting tomorrow. But, tomorrow is date night so I will co-wash and re-style! So it's lasted about the same amount of time as KCCC.

The smell is the problem for me. It's a cross between bubble gum and cotton candy. I'm hard of hearing and my sense of smell is OFF the charts. So it made me queasy until it dried. Once it dried the smell went away. Which meant all day for me because that's how long it takes for my hair air dry! So I'm thinking when I use this product I will wash at night, let it air dry for a couple hours then put it up in a pineapple and go to bed. Then hopefully it will be dry when I wake in the a.m. We'll see!

Your hair is so pretty! I like the KCCC, better, but I'm searching for a cheaper alternative. How is DM prices?

Your hair is so pretty! I like the KCCC, better, but I'm searching for a cheaper alternative. How is DM prices?

Beauty by Donna Marie prices are excellent! $19.99 for 16oz Curling Gelly and $10 for 8oz Leave-in/Detangler. Much much better price than KCCC. Like I said in another post KCCC at my Whole Foods is $32.99.

I think you are right! I still have tons of Curls stuff (from that 55% off sale) and I will always buy from that line because my son uses it and that's the ONLY brand of shampoo I will allow in my hair (oops forgot about Neutrogena Triple Moisture for when I straighten). Curls and DM are about the same price. Curls may be a couple dollars more. KCCC is just freakin' expensive period! I recently got a brand new one for $8 on the swapboard that had never been opened. :grin:

That's fantastic!! I need to visit the swapboard more often.:yep:

does donna marie dry crunchy? What is the smell like?

It does not dry crunchy and I put a ton of it in my hair. I won't put that much next time! It has a bubble gum/cotton candy kind of smell. I talked about it in maybe 6 or 7 post up!! The smell does dissipate once the hair is dry.

OMG your hair is beautiful!!! It looks good w/both honestly.

Thank you! I like them both for different reasons! Probably asking too much to find a product that does everything!

It does not dry crunchy and I put a ton of it in my hair. I won't put that much next time! It has a bubble gum/cotton candy kind of smell. I talked about it in maybe 6 or 7 post up!! The smell does dissipate once the hair is dry.

Thank you! I like them both for different reasons! Probably asking too much to find a product that does everything!
man, I been itching to try this for months!!! Gotta wait for their next sale.

I think you hair looks fantastic with both products.:yep: Even though I like the top pics best, I'd go with the cheaper product since it's not like there is a drastic difference. Looks wise at least.

I dont really know... I guess the bottom one.

All I know is your hair is drop-dead beautiful!

Re: Which is better? Kinky-Curly vs Beauty by Donna Marie with Pics

Really hard to choose since both look amazing. I'll say the Donna Marie becuase I notice each individual curl and with KCCC the curls are grouped giving you more fullness... but really both look beautiful :)

Back